They need Chinese restaurants where the waitresses wear outfits like that in L.A. The closest thing was school girl night at the Hooters in Long Beach...

I find this very true. If there were more places like that, I think my fridge would be empty.

WTF!!!! I've had Macross The First Vol.2 on preorder at HLJ for ages and it went from being in stock to discontinued in two days and they never processed my order <_<

??????

That's very unusual for a recently released manga to fall under the "Discontinued" category, especially for such a brand name title series. It can't have been sold out everywhere, I mean, it's not like it was a limited print only or something.

Try hmv, they should still have copies.

Edited by Strumvogel

That's very unusual for a recently released manga to fall under the "Discontinued" category, especially for such a brand name title series. It can't have been sold out everywhere, I mean, it's not like it was a limited print only or something.

Of course it's possible they received fewer copies from their distributor vs. number of pre-orders. Hence, they have to list it as "Discontinued" until they find out when they'll get more from the distributor.

Any news on this project?

Yes and no...the first volume is close to completion, but I've been working a lot more, and have less energy and time to devote to the project.

I'm also VERY uncomfortable about uploading something new (i.e. still in print). I really don't want to cut into the sales of the comic at all.

Got it from evilbay B))

How's this? I scanned it from Macross Ace #5.

Nice

Quick scanning tip, I picked up in my travels.

Get some black paper to put behind the page you are scanning.

Preferably between it and the pages behind.

The black paper absorbs most of the bleed through of the text and images on the opposite side of the page.

It works for line art as well as photographs, it doesn't matter.

I've had nothing but success with nice clean scans ever since I started do it that way;)

Edited by Zinjo

Was it drawn by Kawamori or Tenjin?

Kawamori "refined" the 1J. Tenjin did the 1D and (I believe) the 1S.

By the way, The First screams color! I'd like to see an Akira-ed version of this comic with cell-style coloring. It would almost be like watching the reloaded TV series we all want to see.

I think there's too much zip for it to be successfully colorized, really. Although the whole thing's done on computer, so I suppose it would be relatively simple to replace.

Personally, I don't care if the whole thing's in color, but I would like more color pages...like Gundam the Origin, which switches to color whenever there's an "iconic" scene.

EDIT: And, uh...not "all" of us want to see a redone TV series...

Edited by Gubaba

Nice

Quick scanning tip, I picked up in my travels.

Get some black paper to put behind the page you are scanning.

Preferably between it and the pages behind.

The black paper absorbs most of the bleed through of the text and images on the opposite side of the page.

It works for line art as well as photographs, it doesn't matter.

I've had nothing but success with nice clean scans ever since I started do it that way;)

I know, I know. :lol:

It was a quick scan that I did back when MtF vol 1 came out to show Mr March and Seto what the new head looks like. Unlike the Patlabor line art I've been coloring, I wasn't going for perfection with it.

Kawamori "refined" the 1J. Tenjin did the 1D and (I believe) the 1S.

I've got only Issues 1-4 of Macross Ace and the 1S head seems to be just like the old one

Personally, I don't care if the whole thing's in color, but I would like more color pages...like Gundam the Origin, which switches to color whenever there's an "iconic" scene.

Speaking of more color pages, I don't understand why the 1st issue of the tankobon printed the "episode 2" color scenes in B&W.

EDIT: And, uh...not "all" of us want to see a redone TV series...

I left myself be carried away. Just a little bit :p

I've got only Issues 1-4 of Macross Ace and the 1S head seems to be just like the old one

Trust us, it's the revised one.

Speaking of more color pages, I don't understand why the 1st issue of the tankobon printed the "episode 2" color scenes in B&W.

That's actually pretty normal for these things. It costs a lot more to have a couple of colour pages strewn throughout. Without getting technical, it's because colour and B&W are printed on different presses, and splicing the two together when binding is more expensive than just slapping the colour pages at the front.

Of course, there are exceptions. Ghost in the Shell is a notable example. But if memory serves, it uses nice (read: expensive) paper throughout (not something akin to newsprint for the B&W and waxy paper for the colour sections), so it can get away with it. Of course the end user pays a lot more for it...

Edited by sketchley

When I worked at a printing company, it was easy to put whatever pages in wherever you wanted on the binding machine. Inserting a color page anywhere you wanted was no big deal. Perhaps we just used a completely different bindery machine than the publishers of MtF.

When I worked at a printing company, it was easy to put whatever pages in wherever you wanted on the binding machine. Inserting a color page anywhere you wanted was no big deal. Perhaps we just used a completely different bindery machine than the publishers of MtF.

Did it take the same amount of time and cost the same amount of money for a B&W or B&W with limited colour at the front and/or back? Or was it something that's easy to do, but cost more and took longer?

I'm not an expert on printing, by any means. My knowledge comes from watching the process being done (I was doing accounting work for that company, but I did help out with manual labor in the shop from time to time). The PRINTING process itself is more expensive when you have to deal with more colors. CMYK requires a 4-color press, while B&W requires only 1... we used two-color presses. However, the BINDERY work done is completely arbitrary. The machine had many different hoppers for each page to bind and you could put whatever you want anywhere you want on the hopper assembly to organize the pages in any way you wanted.

You could print black and white on a 4-color press if you wanted to, but it would be cheaper to just do it on a 1 or 2 color press... it would just consume more energy to run a 4-color press and the operator would probably cost more since he is a bit more skilled than a 2-color press operator.

My point was that you said that the bindery work would cost more to insert color pages here and there. I am saying that it doesn't matter, but I could be wrong if they are using a binding process that I have not witnessed myself. The bindery machine we had did mostly saddleback binding. We outsourced the really complex binding jobs like books and the such...

If I am assuming this correctly, they take the harder outer cover of the manga book, and possibly glue the inside pages onto the spine of the cover. If that's the case, you'd just need to place each individual page in the right order on the sorting machine and it would put all of the pages together in the predetermined order and then you just glue them to the cover. Wash, rinse, repeat...

great!! thanx talos!!!

As i don,t collect Macross Ace.And only collect Macross the first,I,ve got #01,and am waiting for Macross the first #02 as backordered from hlj.com.

Would anyone be so kind as to scan any type of panel from the manga itself of your fav VF-1J shot!!! :)

Just got Macross The First Vol.2.

It covers the episodes previously published in Macross Ace #3-4-5 and adds 5 pages of new art. Compared to the first tankobon (which contained mayor tweaks to the art), there is virtually no re-elaboration of the original images to be found here, except for a few (2) shots and the previously mentioned 5 more pages of story.

No character art on the back of the issue, too. The superior quality of the paper, compared to the magazine version, really makes the difference.

Not really...

VF-1Dfirst.jpg

TU! *glances and drools* it IS a marked improvement... it make me think that the camera module (the square eyes), that hole module pivots up & down)

Ok, just finished drooling over vol.2 and Ace issue #6. The First is a dream come true, besides being the best comic ever made hands down! (Also best Mikimoto comic ever)

The story unfolds with enough new twist to seem fresh and keep you hooked and the old events are re-told with style. I can't praise enough the characters new visuals. Mecha battles are gorgeous (destroids get some well deserved love, too). Run grab your copy!!!

Just a few interesting things I noticed:

- Global has a photo on his desk with what seems to be... his daughter? Nice to see some hints at his past. Never before seen in the TV series.

- It seems there are officially two pilot suits in this new Macross universe. Roy's style and Hikaru&Max's style. Maybe Officer suit and cadets suit?

- Nice to see destroids doing heavy labour!

- Interestingly enough the politician from issue #1 is still on board, probably acting as the Macross civilian leader.

- Who's the long haired guy presumably organizing the Miss Macross contest: Kaifun?

- Since VF1D and 1J got a new head (1A uses DYRL style one) maybe when Hikaru inherits Roy's walk - if Roy is going to die as in Dyrl - the 1S will get a new head too?

- Bridge bunnies on the loose! Who cares about Minmay or Misa?

Edited by nexxstrait

Ok, just finished drooling over vol.2 and Ace issue #6. The First is a dream come true, besides being the best comic ever made hands down! (Also best Mikimoto comic ever)

The story unfolds with enough new twist to seem fresh and keep you hooked and the old events are re-told with style. I can't praise enough the characters new visuals. Mecha battles are gorgeous (destroids get some well deserved love, too). Run grab your copy!!!

Just a few interesting things I noticed:

- Global has a photo on his desk with what seems to be... his daughter? Nice to see some hints at his past. Never before seen in the TV series.

- It seems there are officially two pilot suits in this new Macross universe. Roy's style and Hikaru&Max's style. Maybe Officer suit and cadets suit?

- Nice to see destroids doing heavy labour!

- Interestingly enough the politician from issue #1 is still on board, probably acting as the Macross civilian leader.

- Who's the long haired guy presumably organizing the Miss Macross contest: Kaifun?

- Since VF1D and 1J got a new head (1A uses DYRL style one) maybe when Hikaru inherits Roy's walk - if Roy is going to die as in Dyrl - the 1S will get a new head too?

- Bridge bunnies on the loose! Who cares about Minmay or Misa?

1. His daughter or his wife...unsure about that. The dialogue doesn't clear it up.

2. Maybe.

3. 'Bout time they did something besides get shot, huh?

4. You guessed it in one.

5. Only time will tell...but I doubt it.

6. Totally. The thing is, I see girls dressed like that EVERY SINGLE DAY. I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse.

So what did you think of Kamujin's attack? Weird, huh?

Edited by Gubaba