Okay...here's the deal with my scanlation: I scanned the magazine version for issues 1 and 2, and translated issue 1. Jasonc did all the Photoshop work for it (some of you have this version). I still haven't finished the translation for issue 2, for two very good reasons: first, the dialogue for the first issue was about 70% directly from the script of the show, whereas issue 2 deviates from the script quite a bit more; second, My Fair Minmay ended up taking most of my time last summer and fall.

And then...the collected volume came out, and I discovered that a number of pages had been redone, which left me with a dilemma...do I upload the magazine version, or redo everything and upload the book version?

(There's also the fact that I'd rather people ACTUALLY BUY THE BOOK, rather than just download the scanlation. Who cares if you can't read japanese? Everyone should know the story by now...)

I kinda pondered this off and on for the last month or so, and finally decided to go ahead with the book version (perhaps appending the original magazine pages as "deleted scenes"). I spent two hours scanning "Chapter 1" of the book earlier this week, revised the script, and I've started sending everything off to be Photoshopped.

The goal is for Chapter 1 to be finished and uploaded next month, with Chapter 2 to follow, in...summer, most likely.

I'll make the annoucement here when it's up, so stay posted. :)

Okay...here's the deal with my scanlation: I scanned the magazine version for issues 1 and 2, and translated issue 1. Jasonc did all the Photoshop work for it (some of you have this version). I still haven't finished the translation for issue 2, for two very good reasons: first, the dialogue for the first issue was about 70% directly from the script of the show, whereas issue 2 deviates from the script quite a bit more; second, My Fair Minmay ended up taking most of my time last summer and fall.

And then...the collected volume came out, and I discovered that a number of pages had been redone, which left me with a dilemma...do I upload the magazine version, or redo everything and upload the book version?

(There's also the fact that I'd rather people ACTUALLY BUY THE BOOK, rather than just download the scanlation. Who cares if you can't read japanese? Everyone should know the story by now...)

I kinda pondered this off and on for the last month or so, and finally decided to go ahead with the book version (perhaps appending the original magazine pages as "deleted scenes"). I spent two hours scanning "Chapter 1" of the book earlier this week, revised the script, and I've started sending everything off to be Photoshopped.

The goal is for Chapter 1 to be finished and uploaded next month, with Chapter 2 to follow, in...summer, most likely.

I'll make the annoucement here when it's up, so stay posted. :)

Thanks Gubaba. We really appreciate the effort guys like you make!

Wait wait wait: Mikimoto actually retouched the pictures or just the dialogue? I'm still on the verge of buying the collected edition and this could be the reason I was looking for.

It's mostly the art. A few pages have been added to the book version. Nothing REALLY major, though. Hikaru buzzing the airfield is about three or four pages longer, as is his conversation with Focker, and a couple of other scenes.

There's some added dialogue here and there, too, and the captions stating the characters' names now also give their rank and position.

It's mostly the art. A few pages have been added to the book version. Nothing REALLY major, though. Hikaru buzzing the airfield is about three or four pages longer, as is his conversation with Focker, and a couple of other scenes.

There's some added dialogue here and there, too, and the captions stating the characters' names now also give their rank and position.

Well, as few as they may be, this was only the excuse I was waiting for (I knew I would not have resisted the urge). Thanks a lot!

• 3 months later...
is this anything like what you're looking for?

EYdi0.jpg

That's okay...

I don't know. I feel bad about this, because I can't help being vague and unhelpful, which I know drives people crazy. I'd really like something rounded and organic-looking, but none of those fonts are easy to read.

Basically, I want the font equivalent of DYRL Exsedol...if that makes any sense. Or a tweaked version of the Zentradi alphabet.

And then there's the fact that whatever we end up using for Macross the First will also end up getting used in the Galaxy Network release of DYRL...so I need something that looks good as a subtitle as well...

It's a tall order. Probably impossible.

Yeah I know what you're talking about... I went thru my library and offered up the only thing close to what you might want, but something more organic would fit because you don't want to think that a robot is speaking the lines.

Yeah I know what you're talking about... I went thru my library and offered up the only thing close to what you might want, but something more organic would fit because you don't want to think that a robot is speaking the lines.

I guess I can throw out a general call...

The Zentradi font is here:

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~ranko-a/zent/info/moji_e.html

Can anyone create a similar font that would make for readable English words?

Edited by Gubaba

• 5 months later...

OK - What did Grobal say? And what did Misa scream back...

Minmay's rather...notorious...on the ship now after being found trapped with Hikaru in the hold, so Global's hesitantly saying, "Ah...you're that girl everybody's talking about..." but Misa cuts him off, and snaps at Minmay, since it's forbidden for non-authorized personnel to be on the bridge.

The thing that I find interesting about this scene is that, during planning of the show, Minmay was originally just going to be a minor character whose sole purpose in the show was to trot Chinese take-out up to the bridge...which is of course what she's doing here. ^_^

The thing that I find interesting about this scene is that, during planning of the show, Minmay was originally just going to be a minor character whose sole purpose in the show was to trot Chinese take-out up to the bridge...which is of course what she's doing here. ^_^

Yeah, that had me smiling when I saw it. It's also showing that Grobal has an eye for the ladies which the director admitted to before.

Minmay's rather...notorious...on the ship now after being found trapped with Hikaru in the hold, so Global's hesitantly saying, "Ah...you're that girl everybody's talking about..." but Misa cuts him off, and snaps at Minmay, since it's forbidden for non-authorized personnel to be on the bridge.

That's a great piece of info Gubaba. B))

It should, Keith. This is what the creators intend it to be. Tatsunoko was a bad mistake. Unfortunately I guess Tatsunoko was the best they could do at the time and they did make DYRL. If only HG didn't have the Macross trademark though. Oh well. At least we can read Nihongo or get translations. Here there's furigana for all the kanji anyway. Mikimoto's doing so great.

Really? Are we talking about a new TV series? If there is indeed truth in this, it's a great piece of news!

By the way, I think this is the best manga master Mikimoto has ever done, bar none.

This is not news, and unfortunately, as far as we know, they are "not" making this into a series. However, if done right, I don't think anyone would really mind if they did make Macross The First into a series. HG can go stick their trademark up their collective asses, I would import this non-existent show on bluray in a heartbeat.

Thanks - without the text I had not realized that Minmay was on the bridge delivering food... (Obvious now that you point it out though)

Ah Global, you cad. I wish they delivered Chinese in those cool box containers around here too. Of course having someone as cute as Minmay delivering them would be a bonus as well.

Can't wait until my copies get here. Mikimoto's art continues to be gorgeous. Like Keith if they ever animate this, I'd find a way to buy it on bluray as well. I'd even settle for a text script that's translated that I could look at while viewing the books/magazines.

Okay...here's the deal with my scanlation: I scanned the magazine version for issues 1 and 2, and translated issue 1. [...]

I'll make the annoucement here when it's up, so stay posted. smile.gif

Any news on this project?

This is why I think Mikimoto is the best, he is able to draw both Misa and Minmay as sexy, with resorting to T&A shots. Hal's got class!!! ^_^

Well, in the last picture he actually focused exactly on Minmay's T&A (plus Legs)... :p