Just recently finished Volume 01 of the Macross The First manga and could not be more pleased (and excited for the next volume)! My heart began to race and expectations began to build, as soon as I first learned that not only had Mikimoto-San started work on the project (and that serialization had bugun in the new Mac. magazine), but that I could soon lay my hands on handsome volumes of this retelling. I realize, with all the other Macross news (regarding sequels and associated products), this may not be big to most, but to me (my opinion only) nothing has been able to recapture the same magic of the original story arc (SDFM t.v, DYRL, Flashback)...with "The First", I am falling in love, all over again!

Even if you do not read Japanese (and haven't the patience to translate the furigana), I still suggest picking up the volume! If one has a familiarity with the original anime, one will not be lost and should be able to follow along. Even to serve as merely an artbook, it is worth the buy (love the design upgrades!).

While there are changes (in varying degrees) in dialog, design and story, it just feels right (to me). Evoking nostalgia and wonder, at the same time, this manga is both familiar and fresh--best of both worlds!!! I think that some of the changes are even improvements!

I've read threads discussing a want/need for a reboot of the original anime. Reading Macross The First is the next best thing (and in the end, perhaps more satisfying). For added kick, have your favorite Macross soundtrack playing in the background. If you're feeling perverse, play the Robotech soundtrack in the background, lol.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thought and to discussing this and the upcoming volumes with all. Thanks for your indulgence.

I received my copy thanks to Macross1982 who is a member here. I have to echo your sentiments on the volume. I'm not literate in Japanese at all and it did not hamper my enjoyment of the book one bit. If you know the story, then it's very easy to follow along and get the gist of it all. There are some changes, but I think they work out just fine.

The artwork is gorgeous. There was some talk about the VT-1D head redesign in the other thread, but I like it. Some changes were made to certain characters' looks but they still have that "feeling" present in their original designs. It's nice to compare the progression of Mikimoto's style from back then to present-day. Misa and Minmay look great. I really like how Mikimoto draws Hikaru now too. It's as Mikimoto took everything that was great about the original designs and updated them and it makes sense. Also, for the first time I look at Claudia and think, "hey she's beautiful too in her own way". I never thought that about the original SDF and DYRL designs of her.

There's only one drawback for me which is the volume is physically much smaller, as in page size (which I knew was the case beforehand). The original printing in the Macross Ace books are much larger in the magazine size, so you may need to look carefully at the pages as some of the details could be hard to pick out, but if you're a fan, you'll be looking at this thing over and over again anyway so it's really not much of a drawback at all.

I'm actually rewatching the original series now as a refresher. I've seen and read the other threads talking about a possible original series reboot as well. I don't think it's necessary because I feel that they should either go forward or explore untouched areas of the Macross universe across the timeline. However, if they were to do a remake or reboot, an animated version of Macross The First would be just fine with me.

Something has bothered me about Macross The First since I opened up the first issue of Macross Ace. What bothers me does not apply to Mikimoto's colorized work, only the black & white pages of MTF. The characters are less detailed than other manga he's worked on. Characters in M7 Trash, Ecole du Ciel, and other one-off manga he's produced have more detailed shading, facial expressions, hair, more folds in clothing, etc. And it's not just the progression of his work over many years. I compared later volumes of Ecole du Ciel to MTF and again, the lack of detail in the characters is noticeable. MTF does have my interest, enough to import Macross Ace and MTF manga, however I care more about the retelling of the story and changes like the VF-1D head as opposed to the art, which is what normally grabs me.

Something has bothered me about Macross The First since I opened up the first issue of Macross Ace. What bothers me does not apply to Mikimoto's colorized work, only the black & white pages of MTF. The characters are less detailed than other manga he's worked on. Characters in M7 Trash, Ecole du Ciel, and other one-off manga he's produced have more detailed shading, facial expressions, hair, more folds in clothing, etc. And it's not just the progression of his work over many years. I compared later volumes of Ecole du Ciel to MTF and again, the lack of detail in the characters is noticeable. MTF does have my interest, enough to import Macross Ace and MTF manga, however I care more about the retelling of the story and changes like the VF-1D head as opposed to the art, which is what normally grabs me.

I think it looks fine. Although Mikimoto has said that MTF is the first manga he's done completely on the computer, so maybe that's part of it.

What bugs me about it is that he changed a fair number of pages for the book...just look at Hikaru buzzing the airfield in the magazine version vs. the book version...

I really enjoyed the first couple of chapters that I read ( ;) ). With the new artwork, slight changes in character design and story, it honestly had that same 'freah, new' feeling that the original SDFM episodes had when I first saw them. A real pleasure to read!

Edited by AcroRay

I have noticed some of the changes from Macross Ace to to the Manga, but overall, the changes seem to be somewhat minimal. I'm really liking the story (although a retelling). The slight changes from t.v. series to manga are quite interesting and help the story move along quite nicely. Can't wait to start working on the translations for the rest of this.

I have noticed some of the changes from Macross Ace to to the Manga, but overall, the changes seem to be somewhat minimal. I'm really liking the story (although a retelling). The slight changes from t.v. series to manga are quite interesting and help the story move along quite nicely. Can't wait to start working on the translations for the rest of this.

Does this mean that you have already translated some parts of Macross The First?

Does this mean that you have already translated some parts of Macross The First?

I'm merely just a worker bee on the project, but it is being worked on. With the changes from the Ace version and the Manga, that does put a little bit of a hamper on it. Nevertheless, I'll let the translator announce it when it's time.

I think it looks fine. Although Mikimoto has said that MTF is the first manga he's done completely on the computer, so maybe that's part of it.

What bugs me about it is that he changed a fair number of pages for the book...just look at Hikaru buzzing the airfield in the magazine version vs. the book version...

I've been thinking about picking up the book. What do you mean by "changed"? Are there pages missing?

Since this has added new stuff, I hope to work on an updated translation. I wonder how this will affect the sales of Macross Ace, if at all. Reason I say that is because Macross Ace's flagship story is this one. While some of the other stories seem pretty decent, it seems like Macross the First is what's really selling it. If that goes directly into its own Manga, do you think that will detract some buyers from Macross Ace?

Since this has added new stuff, I hope to work on an updated translation. I wonder how this will affect the sales of Macross Ace, if at all. Reason I say that is because Macross Ace's flagship story is this one. While some of the other stories seem pretty decent, it seems like Macross the First is what's really selling it. If that goes directly into its own Manga, do you think that will detract some buyers from Macross Ace?

Probably depends if they want to wait half a year to get them, though. The first volume of First was the first two installments of M-Ace, which seems to be a good-sized amount. As far as selling in Japan, I highly doubt it would effect them at all. You see huge amounts of manga magazine sales over there, and Macross Ace should be no exception.

I could not find a single copy in a few bookstores I stopped by in in Tokyo last summer. (Did score a mint condition TIA: Patlabor 2 The Movie, though. That was a good buy) :lol:

I saw a couple chapters that were posted up on some chinese forum and was very impressed. Mikimoto has also been known as an excellent character designer but he draws mecha just as well here.

It's great to see some of the old mecha again btw, not only the VF-1's but the old zentraedi stuff too. We only get Queadluun-Reas in the sequels for some reason (they're great and all but you also need Regults mixed in there for cannon fodder ;))

I don't think we'll see book 2 until the end of the year since the time between Macross Ace issues is about six months. I haven't seen book 1 myself, but as far as I know, it's only made up of what's been released in the first three issues of Macross Ace.

I don't think we'll see book 2 until the end of the year since the time between Macross Ace issues is about six months. I haven't seen book 1 myself, but as far as I know, it's only made up of what's been released in the first three issues of Macross Ace.

Yes that would be interesting to know. Are there any new illustrations and character/mecha sketches and art besides the few ones present in Macross Ace?

It's actually only made up of the first two issues of Macross Ace. So we should probably see volume 2 sometime in the second half of 2010.

Yes that would be interesting to know. Are there any new illustrations and character/mecha sketches and art besides the few ones present in Macross Ace?

There's a diagram of the head of the VF-1D, plus a couple pages of character info/drawings of Minmay and her pet.

It's actually only made up of the first two issues of Macross Ace. So we should probably see volume 2 sometime in the second half of 2010.

Boy they sure take their time for releasing some of this stuff...

Boy they sure take their time for releasing some of this stuff...

It's not unusual, really. Some of the manga I read only gets one chapter a quarter. It takes over a year to do one tankobon (manga volume), which sucks when I want to read more. And I used to think monthly manga was bad! XD

It's not unusual, really. Some of the manga I read only gets one chapter a quarter. It takes over a year to do one tankobon (manga volume), which sucks when I want to read more. And I used to think monthly manga was bad! XD

Well I suppose if you think for example, about the Evangelion manga, has been going on since 1995...The last volume has been in waiting, what...2 years??

Well I suppose if you think for example, about the Evangelion manga, has been going on since 1995...The last volume has been in waiting, what...2 years??

Nah, the gold standard for overdue is definitely Five Star Stories... we've been waiting for Book XIII for how long? Five years? More? :rolleyes:

Still, as interesting as Macross: the First is, I can definitely see why people're impatient for more of it... I'm eagerly awaiting translations beyond the first chapter.