7 hours ago, leonhardt said:

Oh I know that he's busy and stuff. What I meant was that I can't access/search the manga from the app or website anymore and always receive the 404 error when I open a link to the manga. So I was wondering if maybe something happened between Cycomi and Mikimoto-san or maybe my pc is just acting up (I tried it for a few days already though).

That's what I meant when I asked what happened to the manga :D

Hello. The manga was delisted from the Cycomi web site; does not appear at the page anymore. A bad signal in my opinion.

Regards

46 minutes ago, peroliza said:

Hello. The manga was delisted from the Cycomi web site; does not appear at the page anymore. A bad signal in my opinion.

Regards

Yeah, no reason given... and thus fodder for a lot of wild theorizing.  

Some fans are speculating it may have something to do with The-Show-That-Must-Not-Be-Named now that Macross is expanding into territories like China, the EU, and UK.

Others are wondering if Cycomi lost the license because they don't have the infrastructure to localize and distribute the manga outside of Japan.

Still others are wondering if Cycomi lost patience with Mikimoto's inability to deliver on time and dropped the manga themselves.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, no reason given... and thus fodder for a lot of wild theorizing.  

Some fans are speculating it may have something to do with The-Show-That-Must-Not-Be-Named now that Macross is expanding into territories like China, the EU, and UK.

That would be very bad news, right?

Others are wondering if Cycomi lost the license because they don't have the infrastructure to localize and distribute the manga outside of Japan.

Hmm, interesting. I have the feeling that Cycomi slowly withdraw its support from the manga. When rebooted, the web page allowed comments from readers from all around the world, then it was restricted, if I remember correctly, to Japanese users.  Then, the app was only available to mobile devices in Japan... then stopped it for 6 months... and then this... looks like a slow death, step by step... Hope I am wrong

Still others are wondering if Cycomi lost patience with Mikimoto's inability to deliver on time and dropped the manga themselves.

That would be very sad. I think a lot of readers were disappointed waiting for a year for an update and having the manga stopped at the same point as before; no progress in the story.

Regards

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

Seems the most likely answer to me.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

Nothing new in over a year - I would guess they just gave up on it too.  I wonder why they would delete it from the site entirely though.  Keeping an electronic version accessible is a paltry sum if nobody looks at the pages anyway.

Yeah, that's kinda the direction I'm leaning as well.

Macross the First is a beautiful manga, but Mikimoto's unwillingness or inability to deliver new chapters on time and on a regular basis must be incredibly frustrating for his publishers.  Never mind how annoying it must be for an outfit that depends on weekly (or monthly) visits from readers for ad revenue.  Macross is probably not a cheap license either, so having a Macross manga that was re-releasing old material immediately go on hiatus after running out of old material probably feels like not getting their value for money.  As I understand it, manga publication's a pretty cutthroat field... you can barely get away with letter the author of your hot title take a month or two off, but disappearing for a year-plus just gets you cancelled.

Yeah, that's kinda the direction I'm leaning as well.

Macross the First is a beautiful manga, but Mikimoto's unwillingness or inability to deliver new chapters on time and on a regular basis must be incredibly frustrating for his publishers.  Never mind how annoying it must be for an outfit that depends on weekly (or monthly) visits from readers for ad revenue.  Macross is probably not a cheap license either, so having a Macross manga that was re-releasing old material immediately go on hiatus after running out of old material probably feels like not getting their value for money.  As I understand it, manga publication's a pretty cutthroat field... you can barely get away with letter the author of your hot title take a month or two off, but disappearing for a year-plus just gets you cancelled.

Your manga has to be very popular or have a sizeable captive audience ...cough...Kentaro Miura...cough.. to get away with those kinds of breaks.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

So just to recap, Mikimoto is the bottleneck in the production and not the other areas involved?  If so, can others share how many other titles has he been unable to deliver in a timely manner that resulted in it getting cancelled?  He does not seem to be able to adhere to a strict publishing schedule. 

Sidenote, agreed unless you are Kentaro Miura, you probably cannot get away with such unreliable work product and your title gets canned.

2 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

So just to recap, Mikimoto is the bottleneck in the production and not the other areas involved?

Yup.

If so, can others share how many other titles has he been unable to deliver in a timely manner that resulted in it getting cancelled?  He does not seem to be able to adhere to a strict publishing schedule. 

Dunno if any other projects of his have been cancelled due to delays, but his latest artbook is now something like 3.5 years overdue.

Sidenote, agreed unless you are Kentaro Miura, you probably cannot get away with such unreliable work product and your title gets canned.

Well, it all depends on how tolerant your publisher is and how much industry cred you can bank on.

• 8 months later...

Pulled some Macross’ the First volumes off the shelf yesterday and today. They are gorgeous, and annoyingly incomplete.. i have all 6 physical volumes, i was irritated to find they were rebooted without even finishing a first time around…

what got me to get them off the shelf was some very wishful thinking as i am rewatching SDF Macross. I decided to rewatch THIS time with the english dub just to check it out, but I took the blu rays and dvds and replaced that crummy dvd film grain video with the nice 1080p, did a bit of combining in Premiere and the result is not bad. As i age (48) im less actively hostile toward dubbing.. 

ANYHOW.. its so clear that every other episode or so was farmed out to be poorly drawn and Mikimoto’s character designs are not faithfully recreated in threes Eps at all… which got me to look again, wistfully, at what did get completed of ‘The First’ 

So the wishful thinking was that someday someone would truly remaster the tv show, like by carefully fixing everything, redrawing the bad stuff with the exact same look as the original.. 36 episodes of Ai Wa Nagareru or Pine Salad quality!  (Think Like the grassroots Star Wars Despecialized Edition kind of project.. if i were 20 I’d probably try to do it myself! (I was going to be an illustrator but ended up in graphic design, then IT) … if anyone noticed sell it to that American company we all love haha. ) That is what got me looking at The First again.. ah well, will never happen. And anime character design has turned a corner, mostly into styles I dont like. Even Mikimoto, while getting even more skill.. has still changed to characters with less softness whose nose tips are sharp enough to cut glass in these modern manga versions. At least he still put lots details in. As a kid, one of the attractive thing about Macross was how realistic the story seemed compared to normal American TV fare, and his character designs looked more like regular people than all the superheroes and such. 

Wow,  i didnt mean to write an essay. Maybe ill copy it into a post on facebook and other old timers car reminisce too. Continuing this discussion would very way off the topic of the manga.

I’m assuming that Macross the First is truly dead by now and will not be finished. :( Someone know different??

Edited by lavinrac

1 hour ago, lavinrac said:

Pulled some Macross’ the First volumes off the shelf yesterday and today. They are gorgeous, and annoyingly incomplete.. i have all 6 physical volumes, i was irritated to find they were rebooted without even finishing a first time around…

what got me to get them off the shelf was some very wishful thinking as i am rewatching SDF Macross. I decided to rewatch THIS time with the english dub just to check it out, but I took the blu rays and dvds and replaced that crummy dvd film grain video with the nice 1080p, did a bit of combining in Premiere and the result is not bad. As i age (48) im less actively hostile toward dubbing.. 

ANYHOW.. its so clear that every other episode or so was farmed out to be poorly drawn and Mikimoto’s character designs are not faithfully recreated in threes Eps at all… which got me to look again, wistfully, at what did get completed of ‘The First’ 

So the wishful thinking was that someday someone would truly remaster the tv show, like by carefully fixing everything, redrawing the bad stuff with the exact same look as the original.. 36 episodes of Ai Wa Nagareru or Pine Salad quality!  (Think Like the grassroots Star Wars Despecialized Edition kind of project.. if i were 20 I’d probably try to do it myself! (I was going to be an illustrator but ended up in graphic design, then IT) … if anyone noticed sell it to that American company we all love haha. ) That is what got me looking at The First again.. ah well, will never happen. And anime character design has turned a corner, mostly into styles I dont like. Even Mikimoto, while getting even more skill.. has still changed to characters with less softness whose nose tips are sharp enough to cut glass in these modern manga versions. At least he still put lots details in. As a kid, one of the attractive thing about Macross was how realistic the story seemed compared to normal American TV fare, and his character designs looked more like regular people than all the superheroes and such. 

Wow,  i didnt mean to write an essay. Maybe ill copy it into a post on facebook and other old timers car reminisce too. Continuing this discussion would very way off the topic of the manga.

I’m assuming that Macross the First is truly dead by now and will not be finished. :( Someone know different??

It will probably done by a fan before it gets done officially.

I would love to see MFirst animated.  I would love to see the folks that did the Pachinko cut scenes redo the entirety of SDFM.  It would be awesome if they took DYRL designs and completely redid SDFM with them.

Anyway, just my ramblings.

If anyone knows where some translations are, let me know. I will send you a dated photo of me holding my paid for physical copies.  ;)

Feel free to scold/delete this post if its out of line. ;)

Edited by lavinrac