Problems with the 1/60th VF-0

red2alpha

I have the VF-0S and VF-0A and was wondering if anyone else has the loose arm/should joint problems with theirs. I can't possably have just happened to get two bad examples, can I? Other than that I love 'em. The fighter mode is awesome and I love how they dwarf the VF-1s I have in my collection. (Sorry about the picture quality. I took it at work with my phone.)

post-7469-1260103974_thumb.jpg

Edited by red2alpha

sad

http://anymoon.com/blog/2007/01/21/yamato-160-vf-0s/

First, make sure neither one of the shoulders has the screws facing toward the front of the valk. Now, unscrew the shoulder covers and check the joint underneath. Apparently Yamato over-tightened the screws (or engaged in some other manufacturing SNAFU) and as a result the slightest movements of the arms may lead to the shoulder joints cracking.

http://anymoon.com/blog/2007/10/31/yamato-...nknown-soldier/

The shoulders on this toy are delicate with stress-marking being common after just one transformation and full on crumbling off the shoulder parts following shortly there-after (in some cases the shoulder is fine, I don’t think anyone has conclusively determined the variable but the weakness is so prevalent I still recommend avoiding this toy).

http://anymoon.com/blog/2008/01/17/yamato-...kudo-ghost-set/

Yamato always received praise for their willingness to change based on the flaws the customers found. At some point Yamato must have gotten a bit too proud and is now refusing to see the flaws being pointed out to them. For this reason we have yet another VF-0 release that I enjoy, I think is beautiful, and don’t recommend anyone buy and I wouldn’t buy it for anyone as a gift. It just doesn’t make sense, the toy has shoulder problems and everyone knows it. Why buy a toy you’re afraid to pose?
Edited by jenius

It is sad. I love this valk! But there's no way I'm going to buy one unless it's:

1. Really cheap
  2. Something I'm prepared to spend lots of time fixing up
  3. Really cheap

There have been a few sales on this thing so the price isn't atrocious, but it's not quite what I'd deem "really cheap" yet. Also, it is definitely sad that out of 3 releases, while the shoulder cracking seems to have become less prevalent, the floppiness never really got resolved. I know there are members here who have had no issues with their VF-0 toys but I'm not sure any of them would say the joints are "tight" like they can with the v2 VF-1 series. Also, I've never quite warmed to the "fat" panel lines of Yamato's earlier attempts. But that's not a QC issue...

On the panel lines note, nicely done on your specimen red2alpha!

Edited by mickyg

Thanks for the pointers, fellas. The first time I transformed my VF-0A the right shoulder joint split and I had to glue it. I think it might be my last VF-0. Tobad too since I really like them.

mickyg: I did the panel lines with a black Micron 005 pen. It worked out pretty well.

I bought both of my Valks off of Amazon if that helps. The VF-0S cost me (I'm embarrassed to say) nearly $300.00. The VF-0A was $150.00 plus.

Edited by red2alpha

Must.......resist.......urge............to.........bash.........Yamato..........

the VF-0 line from Yamato is known to be a complete floppy mess, supposedly the repackage VF-0S with Ghost and VF-0A Shin with Ghost were fixed but I believe they were still having floppy extremities and seppuku right arms

300 for the VF-0S on Amazon??' WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????

the vf-0 is the most beautiful vf rendition for me. I wonder why yamato never repackaged it with the new arms. they just let it die.

Could be that the Macross Zero line didn't do to well, or Yamato could find a definite solution to the broken arm syndrome.

I have several VF-0 valks, but the only one who suffered from this ill fate is my first edition Roy. Strangely enough it's only the right arm. But it's fixed and better than new.

About a year ago, I actually recasted the shoulder and made replacement parts from resin. The parts held very well and are still in great shape today.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the molds to create the parts, and have no desire to make them available. I passed the task onto SILVERDRAGON.

My first VF-OA with ghost booster's foot cracked, arm broke off and shoulder exploded. Then a pre-recorded message activated which said "Hah hah. You're screwed. Go buy me again."

I did like it said - and my second VF-0A with ghost booster is in perfect condition.

MY VF-OS is also perfect...save the computer panel I snapped off due to my being stupid. But super glue keeps it on.

In any case - I really love these valks.

Pete

Its the best Macross design ever made into a toy using the cheapest parts available! (For the Arms & Shoulders that is!)

I love my VF-0S & 0A, But I will not get anymore either unless Really cheap or Version 2 comes out with a whole new design.