Why do they sing?

MastaEgg

I love these kinds of threads!

I think all of them do it because singing makes them happy. The only exception might be Sheryl - who was conditioned from youth to sing by an evil android.

Hey - would you look at that?! A ONE SENTENCE response from ME to such a fundamentally philosophical question.

Who would'a thought?

But it's really the answer...I think.

Pete

I think a closer look at Basara's name is more enlightening.

Basara - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Heavenly_Generals (check out the Sanskrit rendering of his name!)

Nekki - 熱気 = heat; hot air; enthusiasm; feverish

Aka: the feverish/enthusiastic heavenly general of the Buddha of healing.

Given his role in M7, it kinda explains a lot of things. ;)

Why do Minmay, Basara, Sheryl, Ranka, all the other Macross singers sing? Do they do it for others? Is it for themselves? Is it because they just CAN?

...I still don't get it.

This tells me that you didn't pay attention during any of your Macross viewing. Not trying to be mean but you really need to figure this one out for yourself...

Yeah I think I'll just go back to watching Robotech. This Macross stuff is just too philosphical.

Why do Minmei, Bowie, Musical, Yellow Dancer, all the other Robotech musicians play music? Do they do it for others? Is it for themselves? Is it because they just CAN?

...I still don't get it. ;)

I dunno - this topic might have a future yet. I mean...Klan Klan's reasoning for why Sheryl sings is just one interpretation. But really...I think you need to parse things out - the reason in general is because it makes them happy, but particular reasons vary.

Here's my attempt:

1. Minmey - Because she's really good at it and her family was supportive of her in her attempts and she always liked attention. It is established in her conversation with Hikaru when they are lost on the SDF-1 that she wanted to be a singer, that she has talent, and that she was taking lessons, taking part in competitions etc

2. Sarah Nome - Because that's what a Priestess does. She sings for religious reasons. She believes that singing her tunes will molify the gods and protect her people.

3. Nekki Basara - he sings to be like Lyn Minmey. This is clear from episode 11 of Macross 7. However, by "be like Lyn Minmey" I mean the LEGEND of Lyn Minmey from DYRL - the one who used the power of song to stop fighting - not the Lyn Minmey who just wanted attention and to become famous.

4. Sheryl Nome - because Grace manipulated her into it and she has developed a professional ethos.

5. Ranka Lee - because she believes in the legend of Sheryl Nome.

---INTERMEZZO---

Very interesting similarity here. Bassara is inspired by the legend of Minmey, not the real Minmey. Ranka is inspired by the legend of the Galactic Fairy, not the real "I am just a marketing pro" Sheryl.

---END INTERMEZZO---

6. Ishitar - Haven't watched Macross II...so dunno.

Pete

Thank you VFTF1, I can sleep now. ^_^

I have to say, this series has kinda rethink what I make music out to be - it's more than just a form of entertainment, its like a universal language that anybody can understand- whether your Zentradi, Protodeviln, Vajra, or whatever. I was thinking these singers are trying to understand what music really means to them beyond just fame and entertainment. Like trying to get the big picture on everything or a universal truth. I think the part in Macross 7 examplifies this when Basara goes on a journey to rediscover why he sings, and then Sivil takes him on a "trip" of the galaxy. And then he comes back enlightened and he is able to sing again because he's "seen it all".

Macross 7 is a helluva drug!

I'm actually gonnna say Basara's singing has nothing at all to do with Minmay. From what very little info we're given about his childhood, it's doubtful he would have even heard of Minmay. Basara sings to move mountains, to change the universe, and because he can. I'd say it's more accurate that Ray, Max, & Chiba chose Basara because they believe in the legend of Minmay, but Basara would sing regardless.

Why do Minmay, Basara, Sheryl, Ranka, all the other Macross singers sing? Do they do it for others? Is it for themselves? Is it because they just CAN?

...I still don't get it.

I think they all had different reasons to do it, and each Macross instalment deals with them at some level or another.

Don't forget Sara and Myung. They sing too!

I think it would be interesting to note that Myung didn't sing for most of Plus, because of professional pressures, as well as a lack of other things. A rather ingenius factor in that story, if I may say so. Not ony do we get the standard singing part of Macross, but we also see what can happen to somoene who's lost the love of thier art.

They sing not only for themselves, but for everyone on the spaceship, or where ever their location is. They also seem to do it in the shows or movie's in order to defeat a enemy. Be it the zentradi, or those evil guys in macross 7.

Sorry forgot the enemies name in that one.

I think a closer look at Basara's name is more enlightening.

Basara - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Heavenly_Generals (check out the Sanskrit rendering of his name!)

Nekki - 熱気 = heat; hot air; enthusiasm; feverish

Aka: the feverish/enthusiastic heavenly general of the Buddha of healing.

Given his role in M7, it kinda explains a lot of things. ;)

The term "Basara" in Japanese, though originally brought over from the Sanskrit "vajra", during the Muromachi period was written 「婆裟羅」 or 「婆佐羅」, and it was a common phrase basically meaning "devil may care" in philosophy, and "extravagant" and "wild" in nature. I think that suits the character of Basara to a tee. I don't play them, but I see this term often in RPG games set in the feudal Japan warring states eras, like "Sengoku Basara" and whatnot.

I would say he's Passionate (Nekki) and Wild (Basara).

For the whole Vajra and Buddhism angle, there is an entire in-depth article about the correlations in Indian mythology with elements of Macross Frontier (including the whole galaxy-spanning brainwave-network thing) in a recent issue of either "Continue" or "Otona no Anime", or some other smaller-size magazine like that, I cannot remember exactly which.

Interesting. I wish my Japanese Buddhist terminology skill level was high enough to persue such reading...

Nevertheless, are there any other lost-in-translation deeper-meanings to names of the singers in Macross that you are aware of?

Interesting. I wish my Japanese Buddhist terminology skill level was high enough to persue such reading...

Nevertheless, are there any other lost-in-translation deeper-meanings to names of the singers in Macross that you are aware of?

Well, there's always famous French singer Mylene Farmer...

Well, I think Mylene is just named after Mylene Farmer?

As for Lynn Minmay, having a Chinese name ("Ling Ming-mei"?), has the kanji: 「鈴明美」 for her name (little bell / bright / beauty). Apparently, in the version of Macross broadcast in China, her name was written with the characters 「林明美」 which mean forest / bright / beauty. The "bell" was probably meant to reflect the musical aspect.

EDIT -- argh, sniped by Gubaba! :p

Edited by Renato

Well, I think Mylene is just named after Mylene Farmer?

As for Lynn Minmay, having a Chinese name ("Ling Ming-mei"?), has the kanji: 「鈴明美」 for her name (little bell / bright / beauty). Apparently, in the version of Macross broadcast in China, her name was written with the characters 「林明美」 which mean forest / bright / beauty. The "bell" was probably meant to reflect the musical aspect.

EDIT -- argh, sniped by Gubaba! :p

*blows smoke off gunbarrel, twirls the gun around, puts it back in holster*

I also always thought that Wendy Ryder might have been named after Winona.

And there's always Lanka: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanka

I think it would be interesting to note that Myung didn't sing for most of Plus, because of professional pressures, as well as a lack of other things. A rather ingenius factor in that story, if I may say so. Not ony do we get the standard singing part of Macross, but we also see what can happen to somoene who's lost the love of thier art.

That's true. And its what makes Macross Plus so poignant...

this is an easy question..

Why does anyone sing? becuase they enjoy it,its their dream,they like to perform.

In macross's case,singing just so happened to be an effective weapon,thus they use song in battle since the pioneer for musical warfare minmay started it.

plus,With the light and laser shows they have on concerts,who wouldnt want to go to one.

Edited by Vepariga

• 2 weeks later...