"Pineapple Salad" Roy Focker November 30, 2009

Save

No, that is a terrible idea, everyone at the conventions would die!

Not as long as you finish the steak... That was Kakizaki's mistake.

Finish the steak, outrun the blast radius... That's a motto to live by.

Not as long as you finish the steak... That was Kakizaki's mistake.

Finish the steak, outrun the blast radius... That's a motto to live by.

The pineapple salad's presence is what concerns me the most.

That steak looked soooooooooooo good... mmm.....drooooooooooooooool.... really!

On conventions, Macross booths should always offer a buffet with pineapple salad and tepanyaki steak

Cook-N-Dine_teppanyaki_grill_RIBEYE_STEAK.jpg

Pinapple salad....sounds kinda gross. Now steak on the othe hand....Kakizaki knew how to eat...too bad he missed out on that last steak. I love steak, and if I could choose my last meal on earth, it would either be steak or uni. This would be my last meal:

DSCN4951.JPG

http://oishizo.blogspot.com/2009/09/keg-size-omega.html

Edited by peter

The added weight (whether in the cockpit or inside his tummy) would have meant he died even earlier. :p

Perhaps you suggest if he hadn't eaten the steak at all his lightened weight would have let him escape?

I'm glad this thead has gone off topic from Pine Salad to steak, because I wanted to ask a question about steak, but was afraid it would be off topic since the thread is specifically about Pine Sadal and Roy Fokker.

But maybe we can think of the topic in metaphysical terms as being about food, dangerous missions and possible death?

So - here's my question:

In Neon Genesis Evangelion, when Misato promises that if Shinji, Rei and Asuka succeed in their mission of the Yamawatchamacallit Operation which has 0 chance of success, then she will buy them all steak.

Now - is this a Macross reference?

Later, because Misato is poor and the kids know it, they let her take them out to a sushi bar or something of that sort - cheaper anyways.

But I always wondered...were we meant to hear "if you suceed, I'll treat you to steak" and think "Oh sh!t! They're all gonna die!!!!!!" due to Kakizake's history with steak?

Pete

It's 'cuz steak is a royally expensive, super rare treat in Japan. Sushi, in general, is very cheap (ï¿¥105 per 1, 2 or 4 pieces at a Kaiten Sushi restaurant). Of course, Edo-mae restaurants are the exception.

Anyhow, average price of a steak... well, check out the price of a Kobe beef steak from here: http://www.econ.iastate.edu/classes/econ355/choi/jprice.htm

So... no special meaning or Macross reference. (If it was a reference, it'd be an angel attacks just as their really expensive steak is served, and the 3rd impact happens at the end of the battle.)

It's 'cuz steak is a royally expensive, super rare treat in Japan. Sushi, in general, is very cheap (ï¿¥105 per 1, 2 or 4 pieces at a Kaiten Sushi restaurant). Of course, Edo-mae restaurants are the exception.

Anyhow, average price of a steak... well, check out the price of a Kobe beef steak from here: http://www.econ.iastate.edu/classes/econ355/choi/jprice.htm

So... no special meaning or Macross reference. (If it was a reference, it'd be an angel attacks just as their really expensive steak is served, and the 3rd impact happens at the end of the battle.)

That means Kakizaki was making really good money!!

I'm glad this thead has gone off topic from Pine Salad to steak, because I wanted to ask a question about steak, but was afraid it would be off topic since the thread is specifically about Pine Sadal and Roy Fokker.

But maybe we can think of the topic in metaphysical terms as being about food, dangerous missions and possible death?

So - here's my question:

In Neon Genesis Evangelion, when Misato promises that if Shinji, Rei and Asuka succeed in their mission of the Yamawatchamacallit Operation which has 0 chance of success, then she will buy them all steak.

Now - is this a Macross reference?

Later, because Misato is poor and the kids know it, they let her take them out to a sushi bar or something of that sort - cheaper anyways.

But I always wondered...were we meant to hear "if you suceed, I'll treat you to steak" and think "Oh sh!t! They're all gonna die!!!!!!" due to Kakizake's history with steak?

Pete

Eureka Pete! i'm almost certain it is!!Misato knows her stuff. see, she made sure not to offer the steak BEFORE the mission. rather, it was offered AFTER the completion of the mission, thus ensuring their success! Now, if Misato wanted the mission to fail, she could have offered to buy them Pineapple Salad AFTER the mission, which would have meant instant death for all of them. BUT if she fed them pine salad before....

Quick! someone watch it again! What did they eat before the mission?? Misato might have solved the greatest macross mystery of them all: what happens if you eat Pineapple salad BEFORE the mission? :D

Eureka Pete! i'm almost certain it is!!Misato knows her stuff. see, she made sure not to offer the steak BEFORE the mission. rather, it was offered AFTER the completion of the mission, thus ensuring their success! Now, if Misato wanted the mission to fail, she could have offered to buy them Pineapple Salad AFTER the mission, which would have meant instant death for all of them. BUT if she fed them pine salad before....

Quick! someone watch it again! What did they eat before the mission?? Misato might have solved the greatest macross mystery of them all: what happens if you eat Pineapple salad BEFORE the mission?

That's kind of how I interpreted it too. But yeah...we need to see what they ate for breakfast. The Operation was set to start at midnight though - so it had been a while...they probably had SOMETHING random for dinner - but we didn't see it.

As for Breakfast - we know that Misato drinks Beer for breakfast, whil Shinji drinks coffee - usually. And they do have a toaster.

But anyways - yep...that's why it was - to me - a Macross reference. A nice spin on steak and dying. Eat AFTER the mission - don't try before.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...