Models to practice with?

kugar13

Hey guys/gals,

I want to try my hand at modeling Robotech/Macross models, eventually venturing into the holy land of scratch building. Ambitious hu? LOL

That said, are there any cheap models out there good for experimenting/practicing with? I need to get some experience before tearing up an expensive kit. =o)

Thanks!

I want to try my hand at modeling Robotech/Macross models, eventually venturing into the holy land of scratch building. Ambitious hu? LOL

That said, are there any cheap models out there good for experimenting/practicing with? I need to get some experience before tearing up an expensive kit. =o)

Gundam models. Especially the transforming ones. Or the 1/72 VF-25 kits.

Hey guys/gals,

Thanks!

If you're just entering the kit building world, I'd start with a cheap snap-together 1/144 scale Gundam kit. Then progress into the 1/100 scale Master Grade Gundam kits (Version 2.0 Zaku is a good one).

Once you're confident of putting things together, you could move onto kits that require glue, putty, and paint. Once again, start with something cheap - like ex-Imai or Arii Valkyrie kits.

If you're just entering the kit building world, I'd start with a cheap snap-together 1/144 scale Gundam kit. Then progress into the 1/100 scale Master Grade Gundam kits (Version 2.0 Zaku is a good one).

Once you're confident of putting things together, you could move onto kits that require glue, putty, and paint. Once again, start with something cheap - like ex-Imai or Arii Valkyrie kits.

Thanks for the help guys! Do they have 1/144 scale macross/robotech kits?

You guys are awesome!

For Macross specific test models, I'd try the old Bandai 1/72 VF-1 transformable Macross kits and the 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1 Fighters and Battroids. Your looking at a price tag between 1000 and 2500 yen a kit. Prices can drop even further during sales.

Thanks for the help guys! Do they have 1/144 scale macross/robotech kits?

You guys are awesome!

There are 1/144 scale Macross kits but be warned they do require glue and paint. And since they are quite small, they may be a bit difficult to work with.

I have some 1/100 Macross kits that I could sell you for pretty cheap. They are glue kits, but they are quite simple.

I suggest you find some low priced kits at a local hobby shop. Old Testor's, or Revell Monogram kits will give you a decent quality kit with no frills at a low price. Get familiar with glueing, puttying, painting and decaling on some cheaper kits before you move on to something more expensive.

And remember, just have fun with it!!!!! ^_^

I have some 1/100 Macross kits that I could sell you for pretty cheap. They are glue kits, but they are quite simple.

I suggest you find some low priced kits at a local hobby shop. Old Testor's, or Revell Monogram kits will give you a decent quality kit with no frills at a low price. Get familiar with glueing, puttying, painting and decaling on some cheaper kits before you move on to something more expensive.

And remember, just have fun with it!!!!! ^_^

I agree. If scratch building is your eventual goal then I would start with glue kits, and skip the snap kits. As Jardann said, pay a visit to a local H.S. and look around for some cheap, simple kits of subjects that you like - maybe even ask the staff for some help. Also I would suggest looking into the different kinds of glues and picking up a container of each to get a feel for what each can do. Same goes for putties.

I agree with Chas and Jardann; you want to go with "real models" if you want to develop your skills.

Here would be my suggestion if I wanted to learn how to build, fast. Your first step would be to pick a subject; lets say the P-51 for example. Go buy a good detail book on it, like this one. It will give you a reference to add details. Then start buying kits... start with an easy one a Tamiya 1/72 or 1/48 P-51D, then go to older models like the Monogram or whatever. Then go to specialized resin kits, like the CMR 1/72 P-51H... or something like that. As the difficulty increases, each will teach you something different which you will develop your skills.

Its just a suggestion, but modeling is not an easy hobby. Unless you're a savant, its going to take you at least a year to get your skills up to a point where you will be producing reasonably high quality models.

Edited by Noyhauser

Thanks for the help guys/girls. I really appreciate the sound advice everyone has been giving me. I have a lot of respect for what you guys do. Your art is amazing to say the least. I dunno if I'll ever have the skills you guys have, but I sure look forward to learning the craft.

Anyone know of any good Robotech/Macross galleries showing the various available models?

What are your favorite places to order Robotech/Macross models? I've searched all over town and our model stores lack variety. All of the sci-fi models are Star Wars (which I love) and they don't seem to cater to those interested in scratch building.

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the help guys/girls. I really appreciate the sound advice everyone has been giving me. I have a lot of respect for what you guys do. Your art is amazing to say the least. I dunno if I'll ever have the skills you guys have, but I sure look forward to learning the craft.

Anyone know of any good Robotech/Macross galleries showing the various available models?

What are your favorite places to order Robotech/Macross models? I've searched all over town and our model stores lack variety. All of the sci-fi models are Star Wars (which I love) and they don't seem to cater to those interested in scratch building.

Thanks!!!

I don't know about the stores you like to visit bu there is a local store called Value Craft in California I like to visit the staff like store help with specialty craft so scratch built stuff passes in the store all the time. It's a combination artstore/ framing store with a an entire section of the store devoted to train, aircraft and remote controlled planes. As for the Macross/ Robotech galleries here are a few links

macross model links