Kick-Ass The Movie

Ladic

Not so kick ass. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

It's an uninspired teen movie built around 3 really great Hit Girl sequences. They are worth the price of admission. Nicholas Cage's Adam West-esq line delivery was also a highlight. Unfortunately, an awesome Hit Girl movie was lost in their need to make a teen male fantasy movie about getting into the pants of the hot girl in school. Someone should pay Tarantino to write and direct a film based solely on Hit Girl. It would make a ton of money.

You take Hit Girl out of this movie, and it's crap.

edit: I wanted to add that the marketing of this movie is a total sham. With the exception of the red band Hit Girl trailer, it is nothing like how it is portrayed in the other trailers.

Edited by Duke Togo

Call me a prude but I lost interest after watching the red band trailers. Having kids use language like that is just seems like child abuse. Violence is bad but it on the set any blood can be added later by computers. Kids do appear in R-Rated films but hardly doing the R-Rated content scenes. Kids do swear on their own but making them do it reminds me of those trailer trash people who think it was funny that their baby could say "F-You".
If you want something good that has kids who curse like sailors, go and pick up a copy of "Stand By Me", one of the best films based off of a Stephen King story.

Hmmm, yeah. I would say, read the comics first before watching this movie so you'll understand where it's coming from. It's pretty true to the comic till 3/4 of the way, but still good.

Just got back from watching with wife and friends. Gonna visit the shooting range soon to do some shootin'!

Depends on what your definition of doomed is.

Go read Wanted then watch the movie. Almost no similarities between the two.

It was pretty good. Now I need to read the book.

A majority of people (including myself) are not going to read a comic book to understand a movie. If that was their intent going in then they made a really bad choice.

And why would I want to watch Wanted? LOL

A majority of people (including myself) are not going to read a comic book to understand a movie. If that was their intent going in then they made a really bad choice.

I don't think that was their motive directly. but probably to get the movie while the whole gritty and dark superhero/story was still big. If i'm correct the book wasn't even done when the movie was in production.

Honestly while I knew about the series before hand I never read it, and went in to the film not knowing too much. No you don't have to read the comic at all to understand the film, it does pretty well on its on. Also the movie is not going to fail seeing as how much people that have seen it that I know of love it and plan on seeing it a second time.

The general consensus is that it is a good action flick worth seeing.

Just came back from seeing it. The Hit Girl and big Daddy stuff is awesome, fast paced but with smart editing so you can follow the action easily. I agree that the Kick Ass teen romedy stuff dragged though.

You don't need to have read the comic to get this movie, everything story wise is laid out and it's easy to track. Maybe there's some stuff there for the comic fan (I don't know, never read it) but there's no giant plot holes that needed filling.

Liked it, but I could tell the audience I saw it with didn't. They were pretty horrified from the opening and there was lots of self righteous noises during the last action sequence.

I enjoyed it. Pretty sweet staged action sequences, ultra violent... and, to me, a lot more heart and soul went into this movie than AVATAR! =D

Think a little bit of Kill Bill, and a little bit of teeny/spider-man stuff. 90% accurate to the comic.

Hit Girl is amazing!

If that is the case, this movie is doomed to fail.

I know you guys and the majority of you super cool peeps always think that comic based movies suck. That's why it's suggested to first check out the comics.

Check out Wanted and Losers also ... movies are coming for these comics.

These stories are fun!

I know you guys and the majority of you super cool peeps always think that comic based movies suck. That's why it's suggested to first check out the comics.

Check out Wanted and Losers also ... movies are coming for these comics.

These stories are fun!

The Wanted movie came out already, I heard they're making a sequel.

I read the comic until it turned from a realistic take on the why there are no superheroes in the real world to a magically gory bloodbath done by a 10 year old girl. The set up was very nice, and the whole idea of how a teen got people to dress up and fight crime for real was very intriguing. Then, a little girl cuts people like they were made of air for I don't remember how many pages and I lost interest.

I might see the movie if I can go with lots of people.

Just back from the show. I went in withoutknowing anything and what its about. I was expecting some comedy-ish take on superheroes ala Mystery Men but was surprised....with...you guessed it... Hit Girl.

The titular character was uninteresting and didn't even feel like the main star of the film. His struggles with superhero-dom wasn't even that well emphasised and was overshadowed to the point of insignificance by Hit Girl and Big Daddy which felt more like it was part of the main plot.

That aside though the action and gore was awesome. I got a "Doom the movie" feel (the good part at least) which was the FPS-ish sequence in night vision. Really nicely done.

And as awesome as Hit Girl is, i was really surprised that the prudes in Hollywood allowed for such scenes of violence and vulgarity that involves a lil girl. A lil girl doing gangland-style executions on henchmen? That was like woah..... Especially the

car compactor

one. :blink:

I got a "Doom the movie" feel (the good part at least) which was the FPS-ish sequence in night vision. Really nicely done

It seemed very CoD (especially with the tact knife), but maybe that's just because of where my experience lies.

And as awesome as Hit Girl is, i was really surprised that the prudes in Hollywood allowed for such scenes of violence and vulgarity that involves a lil girl. A lil girl doing gangland-style executions on henchmen? That was like woah..... Especially the

car compactor

That's because it was almost completely funded without a Hollywood Studio. It's only studio distributed.

car compactor

Not so surprised they got away with Hit Girl being vulgar and violent. I'm actually more surprised that they actually showed her being beat up at the end by the big boss. call me a prude, but it's perfectly fine for me if a cute little girl goes kill-em-all, but when she gets her comeuppance, i cringe a little. :p

I loved the movie. Certainly had its flaws, and the story was all over the place. Some scenes didn't make sense. but all in all, i still enjoyed it. a great feel good action movie, as expected. :)

And how about that Romita comic within the movie?? Awesome.

The movie was enjoyable on its own, but some comments on the differences between the movie and the comics:

-- spoilers follow --

-----------------------

-----------------------

Changes that I expected:

* No comic book fan twist for Big Daddy - i would have been surprised if they retained that plotline. It's bad enough to drag the daughter along on a righteous vendetta, but to drag her along for a psychopathic wish fulfillment geek thing would be a tad too much.

* Positive resolution of the Kick-Ass love story - the ending of the comics between dave and kate is more of the punchline to a drawn-out joke than anything else. Of course the hero had to get the girl at the end. this is still a hollywood movie.

* Removing the Red Mist villain twist - in the movie, it was apparent from the start that Red Mist was a plant from the crime boss. It made sense to remove that twist already. after all, we know who's behind the mask anyway, and to try for the twist would lessen the screen time of mc'lovin. we can't have that now, can we?

Changes that didn't make sense to me:

* Kick-Ass didn't escape from being tortured on his own - he didn't even try. Would have been cool to see him taunting the gangster so that his chair would fall to pieces and he would get free. Sure, he would still need Hit Girl's intervention to survive, but it's still better than just sitting there. It just bothers me that he never really showed much resiliency at all. Hard to make a positive influence on society if your second exposure was just sitting in a chair being beat up to death and waiting for a rescue from a little girl.

* Kick-ass in the final fight - the nice thing about Kick-ass in the comic is that he knows he's an ordinary guy, but he had the balls (electrified) to just go into the fray and join the rumble. movie kick-ass didn't even get dirty by the end... he just used the jet pack, and even had a difficult time beating Red Mist.

Edited by dreamweaver13

If a whole movie was about Hit Girl, count on the prudes to make monumental efforts to condemn it for all it's worth... so you're probably right. :)

Well, as long as she butchers people horribly without cussing. Because in America, it's okay to portray a child killing and maiming people, she just can't use naughty words.

As long as they are possesed by ghosts/demons or some supernatural entity that does the butchery. Hit Girl though....hmmm.....still a slight step away from child activists.

Well, as long as she butchers people horribly without cussing. Because in America, it's okay to portray a child killing and maiming people, she just can't use naughty words.

I'd have to disagree, either is OK, that other activity that can get a movie rated R is the only thing off limits still.

Swearing has been OK pretty much since "The Bad New Bears" (original that is).

Violance - an American tradition.

I'd have to disagree, either is OK, that other activity that can get a movie rated R is the only thing off limits still.

Swearing has been OK pretty much since "The Bad New Bears" (original that is).

Violance - an American tradition.

I was actually thinking of television. Where all the right wing pundit shows were rebroadcasting the Hit-Girl red band trailer in it's entirety only beeping out the bad words.

I was actually thinking of television. Where all the right wing pundit shows were rebroadcasting the Hit-Girl red band trailer in it's entirety only beeping out the bad words.

Broadcast TV certainly, US has always been schizo about that. Although even there I had a favorite quote - though I can't remember where from.

Movies - Bad guy gets blown up at the end.

Books - Bad guy gets shot and killed at the end.

TV - Bad guy gets arrested at the end...

(special mention for the A-team, most shots fired, least number of hits per shot)