Kick-Ass The Movie

Ladic

But then we wouldn't get the awesome Nic Cage lines such as:

USE THE STROBE!!! and TAKE COVER CHILD!!!

Long as Hit girl doesn't do any thing of a sexual nature then people will not care.

I don't think brad pitt would have helped any.

I am waiting for a cut to come out on the internet that is JUST of her sequences (kinda like what they did with the Maul fight from the end of TPM). The rest of the movie is bad.

Hit Girl made me think a plausible live-action Gunslinger Girl could be made with girls of the appropriate ages. Of all the characters, she definitely stole the show. I also didn't mind seeing the bad guy give her a beat down...he's the bad guy for a reason, and given that she single-handedly killed off all his henchmen, administering the righteous hand of slap that mini-bitch down was called for, if you're a bad guy, that is.

I have to agree that the tv ads are a little misleading, mostly in respect to McLovin. While I get what the director was going for with KickAss's character, it seemed a bit unfulfilling to see him get owned continuously without improvement (ending notwithstanding), while the scenes with Big daddy and Hit Girl doing their thing were , on the whole, pretty damned cool. Not much of a Nick Cage fan, but i loved the stilted way he deliverd his lines when he suited up.

Thought the movie was pretty good all around. I'm not over-analytical. It does a good job of showing the reality of being a hero-wanna-be, while also giving you a couple movie heros with all their less plausible abilities. Overall, pretty enjoyable.

Hit Girl made me think a plausible live-action Gunslinger Girl could be made with girls of the appropriate ages.

I was thinking the same thing....though GSG will be less flashy.

I liked KickAss but it has some problems:

The first half was great, it did a good job of poking fun at the cookie cutter superhero/comic book movie cliche's and I really enjoyed seeing someone from the real world try and mostly fail at being a super hero (heeere mr. bitey). And I liked how despite his ineffectiveness he was popular in the community.

About halfway through though the tone shifts, and it BECOMES the unimaginative action/superhero/comic movie it was initially deconstructing. It was still fun and a lot of laughs, but it could have been so much more. The second half not living up to the first half is what disappointed me the most. Still a lot of fun though.

Also HI MW, it's been a while. :)

So if he says Kick-Ass in morally reprehensible, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of a doubt.

Eberts right and wrong. The morality of this film is questionable, but its important to take this film for what it is, a piece of entertainment. If a person has to learn all of their morals and ideals by watching films then the person needs help anyway.

Compared to the types of films that I object to (Hostel, Saw and the like) its pretty mild. And who defines what morality is anyway.

Personally, I really enjoyed the film. It wasn't perfect but it remained true to itself. We live in a world where children 11 years old and younger are forced to pick up guns and use them to fight. THAT sort of thing bothers me more than the questionable morality of this film.

Taksraven

Eberts right and wrong. The morality of this film is questionable, but its important to take this film for what it is, a piece of entertainment. If a person has to learn all of their morals and ideals by watching films then the person needs help anyway.

Compared to the types of films that I object to (Hostel, Saw and the like) its pretty mild. And who defines what morality is anyway.

Personally, I really enjoyed the film. It wasn't perfect but it remained true to itself. We live in a world where children 11 years old and younger are forced to pick up guns and use them to fight. THAT sort of thing bothers me more than the questionable morality of this film.

Taksraven

I think the morality of the story got lost when it was hollywoodified. The original story is much more of lampooning of impotent adolescent boy rage and Hit-Girl acts as a great foil to that. But the movie really just dumps that and replaces it with typical hollywood blah blah blah

I think the morality of the story got lost when it was hollywoodified. The original story is much more of lampooning of impotent adolescent boy rage and Hit-Girl acts as a great foil to that. But the movie really just dumps that and replaces it with typical hollywood blah blah blah

Yeah, there is a bit of that going on, but considering the fact that they had to struggle to get funding and the movie was essentially made outside the traditional studio system, if it had been a true hollywood film it would have been much more compromised.

You can't always get exactly what you want in these films. Look at Iron Man. I would love to see this film series deal with Tony Stark's alcoholism, but I dont see that happening.

Taksraven

Finally got a chance to see Kick-Ass and it was definitely a good time at the movies.

What I found most interesting about Kick-Ass was the setup that provided for an initially plausible masked vigilante and unlike many past films, the protagonist actually remains true to his limited crime fighting abilities for the entire story. Kick-Ass is more often a victim through his preposterous crime fighting antics rather than affecting any real impact on crime. Surprisingly, the film actually touched upon legitimate issues about society, violence and the will to act. In one late night brawl in front of a coffee shop, three thugs attempt to assault a lone victim, questioning what is wrong with Kick-Ass for risking his life to defend some "punk" he hardly knows. Kick-Ass defiantly responds; "Three thugs beat on one person while those people just stand watching and you ask what's wrong with me?" A simple parable perhaps, but the film succeeds at provoking the audience to at least consider the question.

The film also struck an interesting balance between being a parody of the super hero and embracing the super hero conventions. It plays much like a traditional super hero/coming of age tale from start to finish, but how it gets there is far more interesting and dramatic. Speaking of drama, the films earns a lot of legitimacy for exploring some really harrowing territory. The actions of the characters have logical consequences and are explored to the fullest, leading to some rather dire results. While the movie is undeniably a fantasy with plenty of over-the-top action common to its comic book roots it gains full points for doing so with at least some intelligence and social awareness.

Of course, I can't help but comment about my own reaction regarding the "controversy" of the film's violence and the 11-year old character of Hit Girl. To sum it up the moral panic raised by some critics: overblown. I can't really figure out where the outrage came from, if it's even legitimate and not another media scare. Personally, I'm chalking it up to some generational thing or more righteous indignation from a public that is already unhealthily obsessed with abusing their children as scapegoats. I can't help but wonder if this issue would have even been raised at all were Hit Girl a boy. The only answer seems to be that sexism is apparently alive and doing rather well. Mores the pity. Among the crowd at MW I can say this; anyone who has seen Cowboy Bebop has witnessed far more disturbing graphic violence involving a child than what appears in Kick-Ass.

At any rate, a solid flick worth seeing. 4 out of 5 in my book.

Good review Mr. March. I have seen the movie now 3 times (only paid once, another time was a free preview screening and the last time was a movie pass i got for christmas, funds were low) anyway I still love the film. While people have their own opinions about the pacing and the stars I feel overall the film is very well paced and still a great joy ride from start to finish.

• 3 weeks later...

I too enjoyed the movie and have no intention to read the comic. Concur with Mr. March the film does provoke the audience to consider is it wrong to want to help others? And is something wrong with people if they do not want to help others in need? However the film becomes a bit too predictable and the highly stylized violence made me wonder at what point would Kick Ass & Hit Girl become wanted by law enforcement? They became vigilantes much like the MacManus brothers in the Boondock Saints and yet I felt the Kick Ass film did not push the real hot button per se. This is one thing I feel the original Boondock Saints film closed strongly with and that was the question, under what conditions is vigilantism acceptable? Would the public even tolerate the actions of Kick Ass given the widespread murders? However, I stopped mulling these questions once the popcorn was gone.

I loved it. Totally.

And My GF who HATES gratuitous violence, also loved it. She actually thought the violence was justified in the film.

And everything involving hit-girl challenged the audience and their sensibilities. Which is a good thing.

Saw it yesterday. I must say I loved the movie. While the comic turned me off because of it's violence, the movie came as less gory version. Well, it's still one of the most violent things I have seen :lol:

The story was done very good but by the midle it turns into a "what the Punisher movie should have been". But who cares, I had a ton of fun watching this.

And, yes, Hitgirls is awesome (Nick Cage does a fine good job too).

• 1 year later...