What would you prefer?

Kronnang Dunn

What would you prefer?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Post your choice for the next Macross project...

• The original Super Dimension Macross TV series with new improved animation or slightly different plot ("Macross: The First" perhaps?)
    • Anything but THIS...

I could go either way.

On the one hand we could get some nice updated animation to make up for the sloppiness of the original(thankyou very much AnimeFriend :angry: ) But, it will be constantly scrutinized and compared with the original.

On the other hand, if we get a new series it will be fresh and new and will bring new characters, designs and concepts to the franchise. However, there will be people who won't like it or may not agree with the way the franchise is headed.

Its perfectly fine as it is.

Indeed. Don't get me wrong. I love the original. What I meant was that it would be interesting to see it redone with Frontier style animation (or better!) and some new alternate designs from that era that didn't appear in the first series (imagine the SDP-1 Stampede or some VF-0s thrown in for fun). B))

post-7862-1257747583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

No remakes!.

Either a continuation with all new characters on another New Macross expedition. Perhaps looking for the lost Megaroad-1 and Hikaru/Misa, etc.

Barring that, a sequel series to Macross Plus and Macross 7 would be nice... Isamu in Millard's role overseeing the new Super Nova project testing out between the YF-28 and YF-30. Or a sequel with Mylene married to Gamlin on the M7 Fleet. Probably no Basara, who is wandering the Galaxy doing good deads. Maybe a cameo or guest appearance or two. Mylene is the diva of Macross 7 but her marriage to Gamlin is estranged and there's a new suitor...?

No remakes!.

Either a continuation with all new characters on another New Macross expedition. Perhaps looking for the lost Megaroad-1 and Hikaru/Misa, etc.

I'd rather have Miku found in suspended animation with the fate of the Megaroad-01 fleet largely a mystery.

Barring that, a sequel series to Macross Plus and Macross 7 would be nice... Isamu in Millard's role overseeing the new Super Nova project testing out between the YF-28 and YF-30.

Isamu doesn't like being promoted. I think he is more likely to join SMS than be kicked upstairs.

Or a sequel with Mylene married to Gamlin on the M7 Fleet. Probably no Basara, who is wandering the Galaxy doing good deads. Maybe a cameo or guest appearance or two. Mylene is the diva of Macross 7 but her marriage to Gamlin is estranged and there's a new suitor...?

I'd rather have a story about the kids whom they touched. Sheryl is by proxy one since she like's singing Fire Bomber as a kid and appears to be a fan of Mylene.

Pedro grown up seeking to be like Basara, Elma a successful singer taking after her mentor, Billy perhaps being a reporter, M7th Chord's Mio essentially top dog of a music squadron, Physica Fulcrum's kid as a pilot with parent issues.

Miho Miho at the rank of colonel or general as their mother hen.

Chlore as mayor. :ph34r:

Edited by RedWolf

What exactly are the differences between SDFM and The First? It would probably be cool if they made that into an OVA, kind of like Hellsing Ultimate. I love the story of SDFM but the animation is just sooo bad. Like worse than Mobile Suit Gundam (the original one) at some points.

I wouldn't mind seeing something between Plus and 7, or between 7 and Frontier. Maybe with a fleet that found a planet to live on and now has to deal with some stuff or something. Oh, or maybe the fleet that founded Eden.

There's not nearly enough Macross to consider a remake. Maybe when it's like Star Trek, with zillions of episodes to the point that they're just repeating the exact same ep with different actors.

Only remake when:

A. It's been a LONG time since ANYTHING was made for the series. See Galactica.

B. It's gotten stale due to repetition and reuse---TOO much has been made TOO recently (and of not-so-good quality). See Star Trek and previous Batman movies.

It's not needed.

What I wouldn't mind would be like a single OVA with the animation from the Pachinko game together with some newly interpreted scenes and music videos as an anniversary release at some point.

I thought that Frontier was a remake of SDF:M :D :D :D

Seriously though, no point in a remake. It would just piss people off. The only Macross so far that has really been a backward glance was Macross Zero and they were lucky enough to get it right. I doubt they would be so lucky again.

Taksraven

Don't we already have a thread discussing what the next Macross might be/should be/could be/shouldn't be?

Yep, but I wanted to learn everybody else's opinion about a remake... so I started this thread and made the poll focusing more on the SDF remake, inspired by the CGI footage seen in the new Fever Macross pachinko game... :rolleyes:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

What I meant was that it would be interesting to see it redone with Frontier style animation (or better!)

No it wouldn't. Keep the CGI crap in the bottom drawer where it belongs and don't de-face a classic old school anime with it.

As was mentioned earlier remakes are only for those that have no creative ability and 99.99% of the time THEY SUCK!

It's a hard choice, cause I'd like one, and for option 2, I'd have to say that or something else, not this or anything but... After seeing the Pachinko animation, a redone SDF: Macross would be off the charts, but at the same time, my mind likes seeing the new, and the pushing of boundaries that Macross does.

It's a hard choice, cause I'd like one, and for option 2, I'd have to say that or something else, not this or anything but... After seeing the Pachinko animation, a redone SDF: Macross would be off the charts, but at the same time, my mind likes seeing the new, and the pushing of boundaries that Macross does.

I don't really know the economics of it, but maybe a reanimated SDFM doesn't have to be such a major production. for the 30th anniversary, they can still come up with a new macross production AND the reanimated SDFM. And when i said frame for frame, line for line, i meant it. No need for seiyuus, writers, composers, directors and other production expenses. Use the same dialogue, score, and soundtrack. Just hire the animators and CGI people. Like Vepariga said, purely as a tribute. sell it on DVD for a gazillion dollars, and a macross fan like me will eat it up like crazy.

Ok, not for a gazillion dollars. a little less than that would work. :p

I was going to say I wouldn't mind them going back and redoing a few key episodes with updated animation but keep all the original voice work... but that's DYRL. :)

I must've missed Max and Millia's knife fight and wedding in DYRL.

Seriously, DYRL is a full-on remake. Not a reanimating with the old voice work.

I don't want a(nother) remake. Or a reanimation with updated designs and modern aesthetics.

What I'd LIKE to see(within the realm of technical possibility) is the entire original series reanimated with the ORIGINAL style and a consistently high level of detail and accuracy.

And there's not a snowball's chance in hell of THAT happening.

Actually I think the word "re-make" might be a little off...

We don't want a re-make... but rather, we want an "re-animation" to have "updated" visuals of the "original Macross".

No change or just very minor updates to make it look/sound not so dated.

If they only reanimated certain scenes it would end up looking like Zeta Gundam: A New Translation, and it would be terrible.

The animation in the pachinko game looks cheap. It's very cool as a tribute, but it's soulless and would destroy a classic.

Edited by Sketch

Actually I think the word "re-make" might be a little off...

We don't want a re-make... but rather, we want an "re-animation" to have "updated" visuals of the "original Macross".

No change or just very minor updates to make it look/sound not so dated.

There has never been an anime that has simply been "re-animated". Something is ALWAYS changed (plot, storyline, setting, character, etc). So instead of a "re-animation", it will always be a "remake".

Not a remake, just a re-animation, consider it renovating the series.

-Shiny new widescreen HD animation.

-The exact same vocal tracks

-Stereo mixed BGM

I stress that they use the exact same character audio, as we don't need re-recorded/redone performances. Just a fresh coat of paint, especially on those damned anime friend episodes. The mecha design should remain the same, since it is sitll pre-DYRL, wouldn't complain at a bit more cu stome variety for Minmay (some of those stage dresses were god aweful then), but all in all, a scene for scene reporoductioin, just with higher end animation. Kinda like if Mikimoto was involved with the character designs for Frontier. I wouldn't hate on CG Valkyries for this produciton, Satellite regardless of some animation hickups, was quite a capable animator.

I'd rather have Miku found in suspended animation with the fate of the Megaroad-01 fleet largely a mystery.

Didn't say I think they should actually find it. Just be looking for it. The actual fate would remain a McGuffin and I'd prefer it ambiguous, if not just unknown (strange aliens say they came this way, etc. Run into more rogue Zendraedi fleets - kinda like another take of Fleet of the Strongest Women, etc) etc, etc.

Isamu doesn't like being promoted. I think he is more likely to join SMS than be kicked upstairs.

He could definitely fit in more like Viper role from Top-Gun. Even Isamu could mature eventually. Picture it:

"Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature on New Eden is 110 degrees."

CF#1: "Holy poo, it's Isamu!"

CF#2: "Isamu's up here, great... oh poo..."

Not a remake, just a re-animation, consider it renovating the series.

-Shiny new widescreen HD animation.

-The exact same vocal tracks

-Stereo mixed BGM

I stress that they use the exact same character audio, as we don't need re-recorded/redone performances. Just a fresh coat of paint, especially on those damned anime friend episodes. The mecha design should remain the same, since it is sitll pre-DYRL, wouldn't complain at a bit more cu stome variety for Minmay (some of those stage dresses were god aweful then), but all in all, a scene for scene reporoductioin, just with higher end animation. Kinda like if Mikimoto was involved with the character designs for Frontier. I wouldn't hate on CG Valkyries for this produciton, Satellite regardless of some animation hickups, was quite a capable animator.

I could dig that. Include FB2012 at the end, also redone in the same manner....