The MW rewatches M7 together Thread

VFTF1

Ok - so...one month and one week later...

Episode 26, reviewed! Deathmatch on Planet Lux:

http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=962

Pete

Glad to see that you came back to review episode 26 which I agree is one of the best of the series. I think that most people who dislike Macross 7 (but like other Macross') might think a bit differently if they could be persuaded to get this far.

I think the sight of a destroyed Macross 5 fleet, really gives the viewer a sense of dread which is missing previously. And despite Gepelnitch's unmasking, we still really dont know what happened to the Macross 5 fleet and what the Protodeviln have in store for 7.

I'd add that the animation in this episode really is much better than in previous ones. The story is so tightly woven, however, that it's almost impossible to understand - let alone enjoy - these episodes seperately :-)

Oh well...hopefully I won't be so long with reviewing episode 27 :-)

Pete

Are you refering to the yellow and blue triangles?

Mr. March would know. He knows everything :-)

Pete

yup, the triangles.

You mean the white kite-thing in the red circle? That's the symbol for the UN Spacy... :lol:

lol, i'd be damned if i din know tat^^

You know...I think the triangles are not a symbol per se. You can find them on the VF-1 as well. They are warning signs. Usually there is some text written in there - like "Warning: don't stand near the exhaust vents" or something like that.

I don't think it's a symbol or ensignia like SMS or something from MF.

Pete

I'm pretty certain that those triangles are the diamond force insignia. They are only on, to the best of my knowledge, the vf-17, flight suits and dress uniforms of members of diamond force.

ok, just notice that diamond force and emerald force insignias are different colours, i thought docker was wearing the same insignia even after becoming emerald force leader.

post-13484-129549389566_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see that you came back to review episode 26 which I agree is one of the best of the series. I think that most people who dislike Macross 7 (but like other Macross') might think a bit differently if they could be persuaded to get this far.

Having finished M7 (because I hate myself, I guess; can't think of any other explanation), my opinion didn't change about the series overall in the slightest, but ep 26 is what I call "M7's one good episode". It was honestly terrific, and everything came together really well. Kinryu got to be a badass, Basara didn't come off as insufferable (for once in his life), and the Holy Lonely Night sequence was pretty damn cool, among other things.

Having finished M7 (because I hate myself, I guess; can't think of any other explanation), my opinion didn't change about the series overall in the slightest, but ep 26 is what I call "M7's one good episode". It was honestly terrific, and everything came together really well. Kinryu got to be a badass, Basara didn't come off as insufferable (for once in his life), and the Holy Lonely Night sequence was pretty damn cool, among other things.

Come on, there must have been some other episodes that you enjoyed at some other level? I mean it's one thing to sit through a movie or a 6 episode OVA one doesn't enjoy, but to sit through a 49 episode series one dislikes without getting something out of it seems a bit far fetched.

Come on, there must have been some other episodes that you enjoyed at some other level? I mean it's one thing to sit through a movie or a 6 episode OVA one doesn't enjoy, but to sit through a 49 episode series one dislikes without getting something out of it seems a bit far fetched.

He is not the only one... The same thing happened for me too.

I was hoping things will get better... But nay, not for me.

I've done it twice. Like 5+ years between viewings. Episode 26 and fleet of strongest women are not bad and parts of Op Stargazer.

You'd be surprised. Sitting through GSD and 00 was a similar experience.

But the thing I was trying to emphasize was that even as someone who really doesn't like the show, I thought the episode was really, really good.

I really wish I could do these at the initial 1 per week rate - it's not that I planned on doing this next episode one month after doing the last one...I just don't have time any more. Anyways - now I still don't have time...but I'm also happily sick - so...can't do anything else but watch Macross and wait for medication to work :-)

Here's Episode 27 Rainbow Colored Song Energy - reviewed: http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=963

And here's some Macross 7 related goodness - I've also been writing my own multi-verse fanfiction rooted in the Haruhi Suzumiya anime. Recently, Basara got a little cameo. Here's one of the images I made using my chogokin to go with the story:

i1513981_br7.jpg

The story this image goes with is linked here: http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=1014

and for those interested, the entire saga - illustrated with toy/figure/chogokin pictures can be read from the beginning here:

http://dyrl.pl/kategorie.html?cat_id=106

Enjoy!

Pete

I really wish I could do these at the initial 1 per week rate - it's not that I planned on doing this next episode one month after doing the last one...I just don't have time any more. Anyways - now I still don't have time...but I'm also happily sick - so...can't do anything else but watch Macross and wait for medication to work :-)

Here's Episode 27 Rainbow Colored Song Energy - reviewed: http://dyrl.pl/detale.html?id=963

Nice writeup Pete.

Yeah, Grabil and the song energy component of this chapter drive the "fantastic" aspect in Macross 7 into overdrive. A huge monster that seems straight out a Godzilla movie, that can shoot Macross Cannon like pentagramic rays out of his tail, is definitely new territory for Macross. Not to mention that Basara and Mylene's combined song energy output can match it's power.

I wonder if Dr. Chiba's explanation of 'song energy' is at least partly based on some sort of hard science, or if it's just pure mumbo jumbo. In any case, his Lynn Minmei fanboyism is second to none. I found his little dance moves were rather hilarious.

He, he...Basara got a cameo in your HS story! I wonder what Yuki Nagato makes of that.

Actually it makes perfect sense to me - I'll add a more serious attempt at understanding the M7 Chiba Science later - maybe tomorrow - when I wrote this review, my throat ached and I felt lousy - so I couldn't really think, just listen to the music and let it move my heart (and heal my throat ache) :lol:

Pete

I wonder if Dr. Chiba's explanation of 'song energy' is at least partly based on some sort of hard science, or if it's just pure mumbo jumbo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%282004_season%29#Talking_to_Plants

So, there's a bit of hard science behind it. Mileage varies.

• 2 weeks later...

My throat was cured by watching this episode - so... makes sense to me! :-)

Pete

Currently watching Mac 7 episode 31 while simultaneously clicking CTRL+R in my browser for the Mac F 2nd movie spoilers. Its not as bad as most of you guys are saying it to be. I was actually entertained after the first 3 or 4 episodes. Totally digging the songs especially the acoustic version of Totsugeki RABU HA-TO

LET'S GO tsukinukeyou ze

yume de mita yoake e

mada mada tooi kedo

MAYBE dou ni ka naru no sa

ai ga areba itsu datte

Anyone knows where I can download the Acoustic version of the OST? THanks