What were you for Halloween?

mechaban

With a week before Halloween I had no idea what to be and then decided on Alan Scott Green Lantern.

My sister made the mask out of leather. Pants and shirt are from a thrift store. Symbol is an iron on transfer from an image found online. Cape form a pattern, sewn by my wife. Lantern from walmart, painted.

Enjoy.

post-1805-1257091099_thumb.jpg

post-1805-1257091158_thumb.jpg

post-1805-1257091209_thumb.jpg

Nice idea with the Green Lantern. You rarely see him.

I haven't had a chance to celebrate Haloween since 1990.

In Poland, rather than Haloween, they had Dead People's Day (literal translation). On Dead People's Day, you got to the cemetary, clean your relative's graves, light some candles, lay a fresh reath of flowers, celebrate mass and go home. Since people's dead relatives are often buried hundreds of miles from where they live, the entire country commutes which causes more Dead People due to constant traffic accidents. Thankfully, my grandmother is buried about 15 minutes from my house, so it's not a problem.

There have been sporadic halloween celebrations here - sometimes... usually in schools, they would throw halloween parties and kids could dress up... But no trick or treating and no mass celebration of the event.

If I could once again celebrate Haloween at some point in the future, I'd love to dress up as Kamina from Gurren Lagann or some other character of that sort...

Pete

Because I had craploads of homework, and work related stuff to finish up this was mostly a working-weekend for me. Since I'm on a tight-recession budget I didn't buy any candy. I just turned off all the lights in my apt., leaving only my desk lamp on as to pretend I wasn't home :p ... damm... I hate trick o treaters.

There are STILL attempts to turn halloween into a special event in Australia, and even though I don't consider myself to be much of a patriot, I think its an event that is totally irrelevant in this country.

Taksraven (the halloween Grinch)

There are STILL attempts to turn halloween into a special event in Australia, and even though I don't consider myself to be much of a patriot, I think its an event that is totally irrelevant in this country.

Taksraven (the halloween Grinch)

I'm also a Halloween Grinch, I've made conscious attempts to neither assist or partake in the celebrations. The number of 20+ year olds dressing up and trick a treating is astounding. Some of these people need to grow up. I would say the event is irrelevant to the human species. ... but it continues because like all other fake-holidays it's a big economic draw. For instance, since Valentines day was not enough, corporate America had to invent "Sweetest Day" as well.

I stopped by a local pharmacy to pick up some up some supplies on Friday, but had to wait in line like 20 minutes from people buying random decorations, candy, and other stupid junk.

I'm also a Halloween Grinch, I've made conscious attempts to neither assist or partake in the celebrations. The number of 20+ year olds dressing up and trick a treating is astounding. Some of these people need to grow up. I would say the event is irrelevant to the human species. ... but it continues because like all other fake-holidays it's a big economic draw. For instance, since Valentines day was not enough, corporate America had to invent "Sweetest Day" as well.

I stopped by a local pharmacy to pick up some up some supplies on Friday, but had to wait in line like 20 minutes from people buying random decorations, candy, and other stupid junk.

Similar things in my neighborhood. All the neighborhood kids are finished by about 7:00 or so (most of the families on my block have very young children, like 4 or 5 years old, tops)...and then the area gets flooded by kids from other neighborhoods, mostly high school age or older.

I don't get it. I think I stopped trick-or-treating when I was like, eleven or twelve. Although for a couple more years, I told my parents I was trick-or-treating when really I was doing...um...other things. ;)

Yeah. We had the retailers and a few others in this country trying to push a "Kids day" that worked in a similar manner to Fathers and Mothers day. It has generally failed to catch on. Its like that made-up holiday "Love Day" in the Simpsons.

Taksraven

Yeah. We had the retailers and a few others in this country trying to push a "Kids day" that worked in a similar manner to Fathers and Mothers day. It has generally failed to catch on. Its like that made-up holiday "Love Day" in the Simpsons.

Taksraven

I bet, however, if they introduced "Whacking Day," people the world over would jump at the chance to participate...

I bet, however, if they introduced "Whacking Day," people the world over would jump at the chance to participate...

"Whacking Off Day" might be more popular..... :lol: :lol:

Taksraven

I'm not really a fan of Halloween (although I do love me some "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"), as it seems a silly retail layover on the way to better holidays (Thanksgiving in the US, Hanukah, Christmas, Boxing Day, etc). So I didn't do any parties or give out candy or anything, but we were supposed to dress up for work on Friday. So I wore a blue Star Trek (2009) uniform.

I was Gaius Baltar, my girlfriend was Caprica Six. Sadly, we went to a party where not many people watched BSG.

Strangely, I just started watching BSG a week or two ago, and I finished watching the episode (in Season One) where Gaius ALMOST gets found out just a few minutes ago.

(As such, no spoilers please. ^_^ )

Anyway, my first thought on reading your post was: Man, that would make it even MORE fun. Stammering to guests, 'No, no, you see, I really am a famous scientist, you really haven't heard of me? Well, yes, I guess news must not travel fast in these parts, but...'

All the while, your girlfriend could be stroking your ear and whispering, "They don't believe you, Gaius. What are you going to do now? Get another costume...? It's too late for that. Maybe just go to another party...?"

Not a damned thing! I work for a party store and Halloween is our busiest time of year. This means 30 days of sheer hell for me.

The worst part of it is the last couple of days before Halloween when we run out of costumes and people start getting angry. It's not our fault you decided to wait until the last minute. You should not be surprised that all of the popular costumes are sold out the day before Halloween.

I was drunk for halloween. ^_^

Meh, not really, but once you get past trick or treating age, halloween basically turns into "excuse to have a drunken costume party" day, or "this is my chance to get away with dressing like a total slurm" day. In the case where you happen to have a large anime-watching group of friends, it generally turns into "slightly less awkward and nationally sanctioned cosplay" day. :lol:

Hm.

What's with all the lukewarm Halloween costumes guys?

I might not have participated in Halloween for a good 20 years now (well, 19)... but the last time I trick or treated - I took it seriously enough to almost give some poor woman a near heart attack.

I put on some muddy jeans, a plain grey jacket and...a Jason Hockey mask! I also borrowed my mom's kitchen knife :)

Now - you know how at night, if the lights are on in a house - then people OUTSIDE can see into the house - but the people in the house see NOTHING that is outside in the pitch black dark?

Well - these were the conditions in which I - dressed as Jason - approached - and people "saw" me at the very last second... it's like... they were having dinner, and out their windows it would just be pitch black and then suddenly BAM! JASON WITH A KNIFE!

I didn't have to ring any bells.

On reflection, I guess I'm lucky that I was living in WASPachussettes at the time because I imagine that I might have been shot if I had done that in other parts of the country :)

Anyways - Halloween is an awesome awesome holidy.

It's like Cosplay day.

In fact - I would much prefer it if people showed up dressed up as high school lolis rather than swamp monsters...

But I'm definitely not a Haloween Grinch - it's a great great idea.

Pete

• 1 year later...

I wanted to be a Hallowe'en grinch, but at the school that I work at, it was nigh impossible. So I got the opposite: Hallowe'en overload (up to a month lead time prepping lessons and materials, and then a solid week of Hallowe'en themed classes).

Anyhow, costume was a Domo-kun mask whipped up in 20 minutes on a piece of cardboard. Then on the 2nd day, I found (at home) a mask made out of a paper bag that I had whipped up years ago. So the costume evolved into Domo-kun mask covering paperbag ghoul.

The funny thing is that it worked, most of the time. Almost every time I dropped the Domo-kun mask, the kids jumped when they saw the ghoul. Hee hee hee.

Years from now, my daughter is either gonna say, "Dad, that is freakin' AWESOME!!"

Or more likely, "Seriously, Dad? You made me dress up as THAT? :rolleyes: "

Awwwww---she's adorable! Cherish these times, for there will come a day when you will feel like you only blinked, and she will be 9...

...then, next thing you know--you will have to start thinking about all those little insignificant (to her) monumental moments like: the first day she asks for the keys to the car; the day that boys start calling; her first prom (and your first "shotgun speech" you'll give to her date before they leave) :p