Space Battleship Yamato

UN Spacy

:D;):)

http://yamato-movie.net/

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-...ilm-cast-listed

The Sankei Sports newspaper has listed the main cast for the live-action film adaptation of the space opera anime classic, Space Battleship Yamato (adapted as Star Blazers in English). As previously revealed, SMAP band member Takuya Kimura (Howl's Moving Castle's Howl) will lead the cast as the main hero Susumu Kodai. Takashi Yamazaki, the director best known for Returner, Always: Sunset on Third Street, and this year's Ballad, will helm the project for a December 2010 release. The TBS production company has been planning this project for the last five years. Shooting begins in the middle of this month.

Not sure if I feel exciting about it. Not that I don't like Yamato the old animation, just the idea of the live movie of it.

It is scary to think about how much work is needed for making a good sci-fi movie.

And they only have about 12 months to do it! :unsure:

Not sure if I feel exciting about it. Not that I don't like Yamato the old animation, just the idea of the live movie of it.

It is scary to think about how much work is needed for making a good sci-fi movie.

And they only have about 12 months to do it! :unsure:

It could work...but it probably won't. :mellow:

Yeah the effects they could do no problem. The writing shouldn't be too much of a problem either (although some care would have to be taken as far as abridging the story). I think the most difficult element to pull off will be the characterizations of the cast of characters and their relationships (the drama if you will). I mean as good as it was (and still is IMHO) Yamato was still aimed at a (I'll be diplomatic here) youthfull audience and so, a fair bit of its characters, thier motivations and its plot points were at various times rather simplistic, formulaic, and 2 dimensional.

Oh, wait a minute, that sounds just like most Hollywood films we get nowadays -- I take it back no reservations about the live action movie at all, It'll probably be great!

Yeah the effects they could do no problem. The writing shouldn't be too much of a problem either (although some care would have to be taken as far as abridging the story). I think the most difficult element to pull off will be the characterizations of the cast of characters and their relationships (the drama if you will). I mean as good as it was (and still is IMHO) Yamato was still aimed at a (I'll be diplomatic here) youthfull audience and so, a fair bit of its characters, thier motivations and its plot points were at various times rather simplistic, formulaic, and 2 dimensional.

Oh, wait a minute, that sounds just like most Hollywood films we get nowadays -- I take it back no reservations about the live action movie at all, It'll probably be great!

Yeah, but this is the Japanese film industry we're talking about. Most Hollywood films are soulless, lifeless, simplistic things, but they usually look pretty good. Most Japanese movies these days are soulless, lifeless, simplistic things that often look wretched.

I dunno though...I know that Yamato found its first real success as a movie, rather than as a TV show, but I don't really understand compressing the story. A good part of the fun of Yamato is the race against time (unfortunately, even the show was cancelled before that part of the drama could REALLY get nail-bitingly tense), and...well, that kinda HAS to get played out over the period of a TV series. So the story always seemed to me like a strange one to get the feature film treatment.

I take it back no reservations about the live action movie at all, It'll probably be great!

Tounge firmly planted in cheek! (guess I should have mentioned that in my previous post)

I know that Yamato found its first real success as a movie, rather than as a TV show, but I don't really understand compressing the story. A good part of the fun of Yamato is the race against time (unfortunately, even the show was cancelled before that part of the drama could REALLY get nail-bitingly tense), and...well, that kinda HAS to get played out over the period of a TV series

Interesting, never really thought about that since I came to Yamato through Starblazers. How then do you explain the success the film(s?) had then. was it simply from the groundswell created by the then small but dedicated fan base who took on promoting and advertising the production?

Anyway I wholeheartedly agree with your trepidation about this latest 'Venture' (pun intended) in the franchise. Bu tat the very least it should mean some great new visuals and hopefully some great new (reasonably priced) model kits [i need a praying emoticon damn it!]

Edited by Chas

I heard about this a few weeks ago and it looks pretty interesting. Yamato is one of my favourite vintage series, so i'll download it when it comes out. Realisticly it shouldn't be that hard to summerize the 1st season into a movie (didn't they do that anyway in animated form?)

Looking forwards to seeing a advanced realistic CG Analyzer sexually harass yuki, lol.

Edited by RDClip

Tounge firmly planted in cheek! (guess I should have mentioned that in my previous post)

Interesting, never really thought about that since I came to Yamato through Starblazers. How then do you explain the success the film(s?) had then. was it simply from the groundswell created by the then small but dedicated fan base who took on promoting and advertising the production?

Anyway I wholeheartedly agree with your trepidation about this latest 'Venture' (pun intended) in the franchise. Bu tat the very least it should mean some great new visuals and hopefully some great new (reasonably priced) model kits [i need a praying emoticon damn it!]

That's the thing...I can't for the life of me figure out why the movie was such a stunning success in Japan. I know most people credit the success of Star Wars for creating a climate in which the first Yamato movie would do well, but the fact remains...it's a very unsatisfying movie. The TV series tells the story in a much better fashion.

Maybe it has more to do with cultural longings...just like Rambo was kind of a "Let's go back to Vietnam...but this time, WE WIN!" sort of film, I think Yamato filled much the same need in Japan. "Here's a WWII battleship...and it's SAVING HUMANITY!" Maybe it's no more complicated than that...it was a wish-fulfillment that came along at exactly the right time.

(That's kind of my big problem with Yamato as a whole. I like Yamato a lot, but...not trying to start any political debates, here...sometimes it seems like an ultra-right-wing Japanese politician's wet dream.)

"Here's a WWII battleship...and it's SAVING HUMANITY!"

Well yeah but I mean let's call a spade a spade here, we are not talking about ". . . a WWII battleship . . ." It is THE YAMATO for crying out loud, the veritable incarnation of the Japanese spirit no? Nationalism is a very powerfull thing. Perhaps it was simply a case of a decent enough production at the right time in the right place.

Well yeah but I mean let's call a spade a spade here, we are not talking about ". . . a WWII battleship . . ." It is THE YAMATO for crying out loud, the veritable incarnation of the Japanese spirit no? Nationalism is a very powerfull thing. Perhaps it was simply a case of a decent enough production at the right time in the right place.

F'r cryin' out loud, man, I'm tryin' to be DIPLOMATIC here! :p

F'r cryin' out loud, man, I'm tryin' to be DIPLOMATIC here! :p

Oh, yeah :unsure: . . . um sorry 'bout that ;):ph34r::unsure:

But what's so wrong about a Japanese show (anyone remember that wretched term Japanimation? - Yeuch!) about resurecting the naval incarnation of the Japanese spirit and having it save the entire planet - I mean the Americans do that ALL THE TIME!

Oh, wait . . . did I just equate the Japanese with Americans? . . . :o

HOOH BOY I just keep digging myself deeper don't I :p

Oh, yeah :unsure: . . . um sorry 'bout that ;):ph34r::unsure:

But what's so wrong about a Japanese show (anyone remember that wretched term Japanimation? - Yeuch!) about resurecting the naval incarnation of the Japanese spirit and having it save the entire planet - I mean the Americans do that ALL THE TIME!

Oh, wait . . . did I just equate the Japanese with Americans? . . . :o

HOOH BOY I just keep digging myself deeper don't I :p

You know, I remember reading a statement by Leiji Matsumoto about how it was Nishizaki's love of militarism that made him no longer want to work on Yamato. Makes me wonder what Matsumoto's proposed Yamato sequel would've been like...

You know, I remember reading a statement by Leiji Matsumoto about how it was Nishizaki's love of militarism that made him no longer want to work on Yamato. Makes me wonder what Matsumoto's proposed Yamato sequel would've been like...

Maybe a little closer to SDF Macross? (in theme anyway)

I always figured Yamato would be based on a backdrop of japanese nationalistic pride. However living in a world were most historical movies are made by Americans where americans are the heroes, i can let it slide. (i'd personally like to see more WWII movies about what the British endured)

But speaking of wars and stuff, i always found it funny how the Yamato basically exterminated the entire Gamilan race at the end of the 1st season. It kinda makes the humans out to be pretty terrible.

The story of the WW II Yamato is tragic. Dunno if you can call the anime nationalistic, seems more a tale of redemption. Besides there was even a Star Trek ship called Yamato and that didn't even raise an eyebrow.

The story of the WW II Yamato is tragic. Dunno if you can call the anime nationalistic, seems more a tale of redemption. Besides there was even a Star Trek ship called Yamato and that didn't even raise an eyebrow.

I would think there is definitely an element of nationalism in it. But as stated previously, Hollywood does it 100000x more.

In any case, Uchu Senkan Mutsu, Uchu Senkan Kirishima, Uchu Senkan Mikasa or Uchu Senkan Fuso doesn't quite have the same ring as UCHU SENKAN YAMATO right?

But speaking of wars and stuff, i always found it funny how the Yamato basically exterminated the entire Gamilan race at the end of the 1st season. It kinda makes the humans out to be pretty terrible.

This fact doesn't go unnoticed by the show itself. Yuki and Kodai are both horrified at the realization that they are now just as guilty as the Gamilas.

This fact doesn't go unnoticed by the show itself. Yuki and Kodai are both horrified at the realization that they are now just as guilty as the Gamilas.

Oh well, there's billions of races out there in the universe. What's the significance of 1 race being killed off? :lol:

p.s. I'm being sarcastic. Replace the word race with humans, and you can see that we as a race, are not progressing any further more than when we discovered fire. <_<

Back on topic, I do liked that fact that Yuki and Kodai realised the significance of their actions. And because of that, Space Battleship Yamato has always being my favourite anime, along with Gatchaman. Yes, even as a 6 year old kid, I actually understand the basic messages these 2 animes said about humans, science and technology. In this sense, Japanese anime is better than American cartoons, with the former's ability to say that there are different shades of grey rather than the clear black and white that the latter usually emphasise on, and their use of violence to achieve the ends, without any thoughts of the consequences of their actions.

That's the thing...I can't for the life of me figure out why the movie was such a stunning success in Japan. I know most people credit the success of Star Wars for creating a climate in which the first Yamato movie would do well, but the fact remains...it's a very unsatisfying movie. The TV series tells the story in a much better fashion.

Maybe it has more to do with cultural longings...just like Rambo was kind of a "Let's go back to Vietnam...but this time, WE WIN!" sort of film, I think Yamato filled much the same need in Japan. "Here's a WWII battleship...and it's SAVING HUMANITY!" Maybe it's no more complicated than that...it was a wish-fulfillment that came along at exactly the right time.

(That's kind of my big problem with Yamato as a whole. I like Yamato a lot, but...not trying to start any political debates, here...sometimes it seems like an ultra-right-wing Japanese politician's wet dream.)

I hear you on the point you are making, but ultimately, like Rambo, it is just a fantasy. If it was seriously trying to rewrite WWII history, I would be more concerned.

Taksraven

I'd watch it. This vid really got me back into the spirit:

Even though this vid is for a pachinko game.

Thanks a tonne for that, brilliant stuff. Looked better than some of the animation I have seen for the new animated feature, and thats scary.

Taksraven

Thanks a tonne for that, brilliant stuff. Looked better than some of the animation I have seen for the new animated feature, and thats scary.

Taksraven

You watch, Nishizaki's new Yamato movie will somehow turn into 'The Shadow Chronicles II" :)

You watch, Nishizaki's new Yamato movie will somehow turn into 'The Shadow Chronicles II" :)

Do we know who put that sequence together for the Pachinko game? They did a great job with it and should be doing the new movie.

Politics be damned....WWII Yamato, Space Battleship Yamato, both are are *ucking good looking boats, and I can't wait to see the space one blowing $hit up.

The movie they made about WWII Yamato was not as good as I hoped, effect-wise. I was really hoping for some better footage of the ship during the movie, considering they built 2/3 of the ship in 1/1 scale. Was it me, or was the CG really crappy?

• 1 year later...

Just saw this movie and I loved it

I realize the Japanese dont have the Hollywood budget but the movie impressed me in its quality. Has me on the verge of tears in some points. Sure there was some over acting but I can look past that especially since Bay thinks he has brought artwork to the masses with the transformers crap.

This will be my first BlueRay purchase when this comes stateside. I really want to own this movie. Well done.

I hope they make a second.

Just saw this movie and I loved it

I realize the Japanese dont have the Hollywood budget but the movie impressed me in its quality. Has me on the verge of tears in some points. Sure there was some over acting but I can look past that especially since Bay thinks he has brought artwork to the masses with the transformers crap.

This will be my first BlueRay purchase when this comes stateside. I really want to own this movie. Well done.

I hope they make a second.

Are you talking about the live action movie about IJN Yamato (WWII) or live action Uchu Senkan Yamato? If you're talking about the latter they're talking about it in this thread:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18798