Animeigo's Macross DVD Project - 10 Years Ago Already!

Apollo Leader

I don't think anyone has posted it, but it was 10 years ago this past summer when Animeigo announced at that year's Anime Expo or at the Comic Con that they were remastering the entire Macross TV series for a US release. Besides DVD, Animeigo was originally going to put this out on VHS, too. I stumbled across my printed out preorder e-mail confirmation today and it was on October 20th, 1999 when I had preordered both sets... 10 years ago Tuesday! Wow time has sure flown by.

It was also 10 years ago this past summer that Toycom and Yamato announced their upcoming Macross Plus toy line which included a planned US release. Obviously the legal issues with the Macross franchise prevented that from happening, but the past 10 years were still an incredible time for Macross and Robotech collectors.

I remember when they changed it from VHS and DVD to DVD only...since I didn't have a DVD player at the time, that put me out of the running.

I didn't end up getting the set until Fall of 2001, when they released the three three-disc sets...but I devoured that set, watching the whole series in the space of about a week. ^_^

Wow has it been 10 years already? I remember reading about it and I put my preorder ASAP when they had it. Then they kept on delaying it, because they wanted to start over and make it better, I was like take your time. Thank you Animeigo, now they need to release it on bluray.

I pre-ordered it and paid full price. Wasn't quite impressed by the whole package though. The remastering job was decent but not that great despite the hard work put int. The box was crap and the lenticular card bonus was lame. While I understood this was as good as it was gonna get with the materials they had to work with, I felt some areas could've been done better.

What annoyed me was that shortly after getting the set, AnimEigo brought out a significantly cheaper 3 box set. Grrr...

That said I am happy that I have the whole SDF Macross TV series.

I pre-ordered mine right after it was announced, it was well worth it, and I still keep it in a place of honor on the DVD shelf. I remember getting the delivery confirmation e-mail over Christmas break when I was visiting my sister. I cam home to find it sitting on the front step of my parents house, best belated self christmas gift ever.

Hehe... as I recall I was the first person to reportedly have it in hand. I still have the bonus lenticular card. It was expensive as hell and I was still an RT fan at the time, but interested in seeing the original version. After doing a marathon, I was fully converted.

vinnie

Hehe... as I recall I was the first person to reportedly have it in hand. I still have the bonus lenticular card. It was expensive as hell and I was still an RT fan at the time, but interested in seeing the original version. After doing a marathon, I was fully converted.

vinnie

A couple of hundred dollars put down on what was essentially a gamble...? You, sir, are a brave, brave man. :D

A couple of hundred dollars put down on what was essentially a gamble...? You, sir, are a brave, brave man. :D

Eh not much of a gamble. I loved RT:TMS and could careless about the other two parts. I've always preferred subs of foreign movies (animated or otherwise) rather than dubs. I figured the odds were in my favor that I would like the original more than RT.

vinnie

Heh, in order to save space, I've been exchanging my DVD cases for thinkpak ones, and to fit the case covers into the new cases, I have to shave off a couple of millimeters from both sides of the covers.

However, for my Macross DVDs, they're the only ones who I haven't altered (well, I did do the Manga releases, but I don't really care about those discs). Such is the esteem that I hold them with.

I got my set off a fellow Macross Worlder Abombz (where is she?). Best $250.00 I spent. Everything was good, even had the lenticular card. ^_^Every so often I watch it as part of my Macross marathon I do evey few months.At the time my only real expose to a uncut macross was a really crappy HK bootleg.

I used to remember my number on the list...I think I was in the first 100 to sign up. Remember this: those of us who paid $250 each for the sets actually financed the thing happening. If it wasn't for us taking the bigger financial cost, it wouldn't have made it here.

I remember signing up at $350, then the price dropping as more and more people signed on. At least I think it was that much, it was 10 years ago.

I carefully cut the plastic seal just enough to slide the individual DVD cases out....my set is still partially wrapped.

I did that too. But the plastic was starting to look ragged a few years ago, so I ripped it off. I remember everyone complaining about the boxset art (or rather lack of), but I personally like the discreet design. Still have mine proudly displayed in the living room bookshelf.

Sorry I'm over a week late in responding to all of this. Back when the original preorder sign ups took place in 1999, the DVD and VHS boxsets were originally slated to either be $300 or $350 (US Dollars). But as more people signed up eventually it was lowered down to $250 or $260. After waiting for over two long years it was in late 2001 (right around Christmas) that the first batch of people started getting their boxsets; I think I got mine the first or second week of January 2002.

The last time I went through my Animego Macross DVD set I think was back in 2002 or 3, but it's one of my most prized items in my video collection and it was the most anticipated video release I've waited for. I'm really curious to see how well it will upconvert from my Blu Ray player to my flat screen. :)

One last thing, back in those days there was a guy here on Macross World known as AidanK. Here was some of his humor having to do with the Macross DVD release. :lol:

post-342-1257483772_thumb.jpg

post-342-1257483817_thumb.jpg

Yup definitely remember helping with the fan petition to get SDFM picked up with AnimEigo. That experience brings back great memories since back then there were so few companies bringing over old school classic animes.

I am so happy AnimEigo did an incredible job with the DVD remastering! I like the clean box art it looks like a classic and besides I for one never buy any series for the box art, for me it is what is inside the box that counts.

AnimEigo completely surprassed my expectations and I really loved them for their dedication picking up SDFM and Urusei Yatsura! Completing those were HUGE feats of love. :wub: