1:48 Hasegawa VF-1

CF18

That counts as a "fourthed". And you're correct in your assessment of his skills. There are times when I think he and Captain America should team up for a sculping/moulding/assembling/painting vidoc.

Hell yeah!!

That would be up there with those Japanese model videos that were on the net a few years ago, with the VF0 build and the Zaku etc.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Fantastic work... I can't believe you did that in a week (I must be the world's slowest builder! ;-) (if I ever get back into modelling!)

That looks so good, thanks for sharing. I might have to break down and break out of my 1/72 scale world...

Fantastic build! I'm working on mine at the moment...going for a custom schem from the VF-1 book. You said that the bubble canopy doesn't fit right though. that sucks!!

Anyway nice build up!

Chris

Oh wait I was trying to quote Macross and I ended up doing Princess Bride...

Unthinkable!

Isn't the word you're really looking for 'Deculture!' ??

Hello again; my Valkyrie won 3rd place at 12th Kavala Model Show @ Greece approx 11 days ago :rolleyes:

And yesterday I received my second VF-1J kit.

vf_1j_02_max_01.jpg

As 11PM I started to build sub assemblies. So far the situation is..

vf_1j_02_max_02.jpg

I closed landing bay sections. Few gap filled with Tamiya 0,3 styren sheets, still need some model filler. Leg's pivot point is too high placed (error?) so heavy cutting needed for nozzle section.

vf_1j_02_max_03.jpg

I divided main gun into two pieces, walls made with same 0,3 sheet. For middle section I'll need some styrene tubes, local hobby store will be glad too see me again:)

vf_1j_02_max_04.jpg

For inner wall of arm's forward section I used same sheet to avoid putty and sanding procedure.

vf_1j_02_max_05.jpg

Now, I need some reference help. May anyone share some pictures of fallowing sections? How the transformable toys resolve these sections?

vf_1j_02_max_06.jpg

I also started an 1/48th YF-19 two days ago so this 1J may be need more time then my first build.

Thanks in advance

Its good to see that the method I used on my (not finished) 1/55 mod works here too. I think I will use it on my 1/48.

As far as the Gerwalk Modifications you want to do, might be worth checking out this thread http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=20983 Although you'll have to custom make some parts due to there not being a Battroid kit to leach parts from.

Excellent work though.

Its good to see that the method I used on my (not finished) 1/55 mod works here too. I think I will use it on my 1/48.

As far as the Gerwalk Modifications you want to do, might be worth checking out this thread http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=20983 Although you'll have to custom make some parts due to there not being a Battroid kit to leach parts from.

Excellent work though.

Thanks for the reference to my earlier build big F, just to let you all know I have two of these and have started on my Hase. 1:48 Gerwalk, but I don't get much time to build any more so don't expect to see anything for quite some time. Great work on your 1st build Chaser1. Did you use a pre, or post-shading technique for the weathering? I'll be interested to see how you resolve the issues of modding the legs of this kit for Gerwalk mode. hopefully I'll learn a few new tricks. Good luck!

I received my Vf-1J kit one week ago as a birthday present and just finished two hours ago.. I used guınze sangyo and aclad paints for finishing.

Nice build B))

One thing that I noticed although it's a bit nit picky :mellow: and 99% of people you show the model to wouldn't have a clue but the UN Spacy on the gun is on the wrong up. It's supposed to be upside down when the gun is holstered (stowed) and is the right way up when used in Gerwalk/Battroid mode.

Nice build B))

One thing that I noticed although it's a bit nit picky :mellow: and 99% of people you show the model to wouldn't have a clue but the UN Spacy on the gun is on the wrong up. It's supposed to be upside down when the gun is holstered (stowed) and is the right way up when used in Gerwalk/Battroid mode.

yes and no: it is not upside down on the port side, only on the starboard side.

when the gun is held in the hand, the sides switch and there is always one side upside-down

AFAIK that's somehow cannon and also how Yamato made their toys.

yes and no: it is not upside down on the port side, only on the starboard side.

when the gun is held in the hand, the sides switch and there is always one side upside-down

AFAIK that's somehow cannon and also how Yamato made their toys.

Just dragged out my Hase kits and the gun must have a James Bond type rotating number plate in it as the instructions and artwork for the fighters have the UN Spacy on both sides right way up when the gun is stowed and the instructions and artwork for the battroid show both sides right way up when the gun is in use :unsure:

I was planning at the beginning to finish this one as Max's plane. Now I'm thinking red is better than blue, but which red I'll choose is still unclear; SDF's operational bird or Macross 7's ill fated (thanks to Gamlin) vintage version.

For the tail section; Hasegawa 1/72 battroid and accesorized (strike, super etc) model's folded vertical stabilizers are completely wrong so the drawing at the 48's painting guide. Fold line and hinges placed at the middle of the vertical surfaces. But the actual 48 model have the right lines. I took the anime as basis and used kit's detail to get the right look. It worked so far.

For the shoulder section, I first look to the article depicted above (great gerwalk conversion by the way) then watched again the series. In every scene that detail looks different (for the wishlist, 3D remastered original series for 30th anniversary, noted ) I didn't want to add a big socket for the shoulders and again I used kit's panel lines. At the time I don't know if it is accurate or not but looks right to me. Model will be in a fixed position in order to avoid troubles and still thinking how to resolve leg joints.

70 percent of building process is watching every VF-1 scene in the series. By the time I finish, I think I'll learn some japanese;)