Macross Frontier Movie 1,YES it is subbed now edition

sharky

Where is a subbed version of the movie?! I have not seen it yet.

AFAIK, it hasn't been subbed yet; however, there will probably be a subbed version out shortly after the movie is released. It's only a matter of time. Then you can buy it later on BD or DVD and still understand what's going on.

Yeah, fansubs is how I got the TV series. I would love to support the official product but not to the point of spending money on something I cannot understand :(

Me too. Twice I wanted to get the MF BDs, however if there is no subtitle I would never watch them.

Honestly, I've been progressively picking up the series, and really, if you've seen it once fansubbed, it's not very hard at all to follow, and it looks so damned good on bluray, it's almost a shame to pass up. Although secretly, I'm picking up the series to trick the universe into releasing in the U.S. You know, "ah damn, the show just got licensed, and right after I finished picking up the R2 disc's!l" one of the few times I wouldn't mind double dipping into a series.

After a couple days, finally got a mail back from CDJapan about my inquiry, looks like due to the hybrid game nature of the release, they can't/won't carry it for import. Glad NCS put it up.

Edited by Keith

Honestly, I've been progressively picking up the series, and really, if you've seen it once fansubbed, it's not very hard at all to follow, and it looks so damned good on bluray, it's almost a shame to pass up. Although secretly, I'm picking up the series to trick the universe into releasing in the U.S. You know, "ah damn, the show just got licensed, and right after I finished picking up the R2 disc's!l" one of the few times I wouldn't mind double dipping into a series.

I agree totally - proud owner of the whole series on blu here. I dunno why but buying stuff raw seemed to be more common for fans in the 90s than today....weird. And Keith, I salute your exemplary attitude good sir!

After a couple days, finally got a mail back from CDJapan about my inquiry, looks like due to the hybrid game nature of the release, they can't/won't carry it for import. Glad NCS put it up.

Thanks for that news Keith, I was actually waiting for them to put the item on their site. Don't know why it's a problem with them since they're starting to sell games as well.

Yeah, thanks Keith. That sucks; had a CDJapan coupon I could have used too. Guess I'll be getting it from YesAsia instead. Shipping may take longer, but at least it's free and I probably wouldn't have time to play the game right away anyways (will be busy in October, plus I reckon I'll be playing ACE R anyways :p).

I preordered mine at Ami Ami, since it has it on preorder for about $55. I bought the BluRays also, but still have a couple more to go. I think if they do research for sales, it's important to see that their media is getting sold and shipped here.

It also makes sense since the franchise is probably never going to see light outside of Japan in any licenced capacity. *grumble grumble HG grumble*

So why not capitalise on the import market then. It being only a fraction of the sales is still sales being made.

What, you think Satellite/Bandai wants to deal with the hassle of foreigners to make subtitles which are 100% useless for their local/core market? In a word, no. Sorry but thats the reality. I deal with it daily.

What, you think Satellite/Bandai wants to deal with the hassle of foreigners to make subtitles which are 100% useless for their local/core market? In a word, no. Sorry but thats the reality. I deal with it daily.

Actually I wasn't even thinking of subtitles being included. It will be nice of course but I wasn't expecting them to do that at all for this. I just thought they would benefit from some overseas sales that woud naturally occur in this so-called "Global Market" rather than restricting them. They are after all fans out there outside of Japan even if they are ridiculously small compared to their local/core market.

I mean you're looking at a market that's willing to pay what they're asking for them, which everyone agrees are seriously overpriced, and then on top of that pay to have it shipped over to them.

Don't be so certain of that. Even in their "local/core" market, there are probably a few that may find english subs useful. As a company that wants to be as successful as possible, it's safe to assume that they're interested in getting it across the seas elsewhere.

Don't be so certain of that. Even in their "local/core" market, there are probably a few that may find english subs useful. As a company that wants to be as successful as possible, it's safe to assume that they're interested in getting it across the seas elsewhere.

Sorry JasonC, but as someone who works in one a pretty major software/animation company and who knows both staff at Bandai and many many of the Japanese 'hardcore' fans, I am very certain of that. As a general rule, Japanese hardcore otaku less likely to either know english or give a damn about it than the regular population. Also, the number of Japanese in major corporations who speak passable english is very very minimal. Add to this the fact that even the few local translation companies that are foreign owned/run (and therefore do good translation jobs)often have so little knowledge of business culture/etiquette that they offend a LOT of major corporations unknowingly and...well yeah, I did not make the comment above off the top of my head.

Sorry JasonC, but as someone who works in one a pretty major software/animation company and who knows both staff at Bandai and many many of the Japanese 'hardcore' fans, I am very certain of that. As a general rule, Japanese hardcore otaku less likely to either know english or give a damn about it than the regular population. Also, the number of Japanese in major corporations who speak passable english is very very minimal. Add to this the fact that even the few local translation companies that are foreign owned/run (and therefore do good translation jobs)often have so little knowledge of business culture/etiquette that they offend a LOT of major corporations unknowingly and...well yeah, I did not make the comment above off the top of my head.

That's fine and all, but your certainties, and what they want differ. I'll leave it at that, as I'm not gonna go into details of anything. If that's been your experience and you're take on what they think, I'm not gonna debate that. I just know different.

Edited by Jasonc

That's fine and all, but your certainties, and what they want differ. I'll leave it at that, as I'm not gonna go into details of anything. If that's been your experience and you're take on what they think, I'm not gonna debate that. I just know different.

Nah, not trying to start an argument (or derail the thread for that matter). I just find that ppl who have never lived here and dont speak the language are usually unable to see the real situation - through no fault of their own of course, since theres that whole tatamae/honne divide. Knowing how much management here normally expects back for ANY extra expenditure as well - makes things like subs unlikely in all sorts of ways that most ppl dont realise. But hey, thats just the experience of being in Japan for 1/3 of my life speaking ;-)

Anyways - buy the blurays and prove me wrong everyone!!!!

Anyways - buy the blurays and prove me wrong everyone!!!!

Trying to but they kinda made it hard(er) as per my last post stated.

While I've never worked in Japan but knowing what I know about the business and general business practices over there what you've stated all sounds far too familiar. i.e. Depts working directly against Depts even though it's the same company? What the heck? I thought we're trying to make money here? You lost the master source code for a critically well received and classic game? WHAT?!! etc. etc.

Quite a few Japanese business practices are in general self defeating, something I think you know quite well by now Tochiro.

in case you guys dont know here where to buy/pre order which i did & can get another century's episode stuff here too i pre ordered R here also http://www.play-asia...en-70-3x3x.html this link is for the macross trial frontier though not to be confused for thinking it might be for R i just think play-asia is much better & easier they ship to the usa i use them all the time

in case you guys dont know here where to buy/pre order which i did & can get another century's episode stuff here too i pre ordered R here also http://www.play-asia...en-70-3x3x.html this link is for the macross trial frontier though not to be confused for thinking it might be for R i just think play-asia is much better & easier they ship to the usa i use them all the time

Don't get me wrong, play asia is definately good, but NCS is actually "in" the U.S.

do people actually like the movie? maybe i have to watch it scene for scene but i was skimming through it and it looks like its mostly like the first episode of the series.

no.

ok watching it again theres actually more to the movie but i guess i never like any movie editions of any macross series compared to the actual series.

do people actually like the movie? maybe i have to watch it scene for scene but i was skimming through it and it looks like its mostly like the first episode of the series.

Uhm, well yes actually. Thats why I saw it in the cinema 3 times and have the blu on preorder. And while I prefer the series over the first movie, it fleshes out quite a few bits that the series neglected, adds a couple of rockin" fights and some of the best Sherryl songs Mayn has ever done. But then again, maybe you shouldnt judge a show from a camrip?

Uhm, well yes actually. Thats why I saw it in the cinema 3 times and have the blu on preorder. And while I prefer the series over the first movie, it fleshes out quite a few bits that the series neglected, adds a couple of rockin" fights and some of the best Sherryl songs Mayn has ever done. But then again, maybe you shouldnt judge a show from a camrip?

If you don't mind me asking, which songs in particular are you talking about? For the most part I agree, especially with Eien (Eternity), incredible song, but doesn't have the same fanfare as the others from the Universal Bunny album. I don't think she has even performed it live like several of the others from the movie. Does it get any significant airplay in the movie, or at least the end credits?