Predators in 2010

Vermillion21

• 3 months later...
*ding ding* got some set photos here

post-11581-1264388667_thumb.jpgpost-11581-1264388680_thumb.jpg

post-11581-1264388710_thumb.jpgpost-11581-1264388726_thumb.jpg

i dunno,but do they look like female preds to you? :unsure:

Thanks for posting the pics, but THIS IS GOING TO BE A SUCKY MOVIE!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Taksraven

Before there were any more Predator movies produces I thought the "Predator" in the Arnold movie was first the creature, then Arnold. I saw the name of the film as more of a behavior of the characters as opposed to the name of a creature.

This is a good point. Especially about the movie "Alien". Originally, I thought it was about the create. However, after seeing the director's cut, and reading some reviews of it, I've understood that it also means the ship is alien to humans, and the humans are alien to each other.

It's quite deep. Of course, that's not to say "Aliens" isn't. The whole "Vietnam War in Space" angle adds a whole new dimension to the film.

I've always been a bit annoyed at the Colonial Marines in Aliens. Those guys were way too undisciplined to be Marines... regular Army or National Guard I could buy... Unprofessional, too... why would they not figure out their appropriate weapons before hand? That should have been a basic premise of the mission planning. One would think they would have to have weapons suitable for fighting on ship in space (not punching holes in the hull is important!) and have the appropriate ammunition for it - no need for a completely different weapons issue. Of course, it shows the Cameron and Oliver Stone incomplete understanding of military professionalism, but they either sent the dregs of the Colonial Marines on that mission (with a wet behind the ears boot lieutenant at that)

I think the Marines being totally unprepared for the situation is the point.

First, it's to highlight Lt. Gorman's inexperience.

Second, it's the whole Vietnam-in-Space angle of the movie. I don't think it's a case of Cameron and Stone havine an incomplete understanding of military professionalism, but a complete understanding of the situation that occured in the Second Indochina War (AKA the Vietnam War for you Americans) to the American soldiers sent to it.

or it was a mission meant to fail by sending an understaffed incompetant undisciplined bottom 10%.

I'd go with this. Paul Buchman... erm, Burke wanted the aliens for profit. So, it makes sense that the incompetent would serve his ulterior motive well. Sounds like the service men who went to 'Nam for the drug trade, eh?

Anyhow... the last "Predator" movie that I saw sucked so badly that I've been turned off of them. Yup, AvP2 is THAT bad. It's a total shame that they didn't just reproduce the original "Aliens vs. Predator" comic by Dark Horse. T.T

Thanks for posting the pics, but THIS IS GOING TO BE A SUCKY MOVIE!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Taksraven

Since they might be 'female' Predators...

I hope u don't means 'sucking'! :p

Yes, I would almost certain this movie will be another piece of poo, belongs to $5.99 DVD section after 6 months release in the theater.

What gets me is that studios have these franchises they're so eager to exploit, yet at the same time they set them up to fail by spending no money, relying on 2nd and 3rd tier talent to bring them home. I can only guess that the thinking is the built-in fan audience will pull up box office numbers, thus they don't bother investing the extra cash so as to get better margins. Of course this drives down quality, fans leave the franchise, the diminishing returns cause the studio to put even less money in, and you're caught in the downward spiral that sucks everything good out of the concept.

I think the Marines being totally unprepared for the situation is the point.

First, it's to highlight Lt. Gorman's inexperience.

Second, it's the whole Vietnam-in-Space angle of the movie. I don't think it's a case of Cameron and Stone havine an incomplete understanding of military professionalism, but a complete understanding of the situation that occured in the Second Indochina War (AKA the Vietnam War for you Americans) to the American soldiers sent to it.

I'd go with this. Paul Buchman... erm, Burke wanted the aliens for profit. So, it makes sense that the incompetent would serve his ulterior motive well. Sounds like the service men who went to 'Nam for the drug trade, eh?

Y'know, I vaguely remember reading something like this somewhere... maybe in the Aliens script companion, the novelization, the Colonial Marines Handbook, I don't remember... explaining how in the corporate-driven future all the military talent went to the companies who paid top dollar, leaving the down-and-out and life sentence draftees (like Drake and Vasquez) for national militaries like the USCMC. On top of that, Burke used his clout to get a rookie C.O. for the mission who he could easily handle.

... or is my randomly-firing memory just making me think I read that to mask my unsubstantiated meta-think? :huh:

On top of that, Burke used his clout to get a rookie C.O. for the mission who he could easily handle.

Thats the sort of thing that I always suspected, but it was never made blatantly clear, only hinted at. But think about it. Corporations controlling the military to achieve their own ends?? As if! ;)

Taksraven

I've always been a bit annoyed at the Colonial Marines in Aliens. Those guys were way too undisciplined to be Marines... regular Army or National Guard I could buy... Unprofessional, too... why would they not figure out their appropriate weapons before hand? That should have been a basic premise of the mission planning. One would think they would have to have weapons suitable for fighting on ship in space (not punching holes in the hull is important!) and have the appropriate ammunition for it - no need for a completely different weapons issue. Of course, it shows the Cameron and Oliver Stone incomplete understanding of military professionalism, but they either sent the dregs of the Colonial Marines on that mission (with a wet behind the ears boot lieutenant at that) or it was a mission meant to fail by sending an understaffed incompetant undisciplined bottom 10%.

To quote the late Mrs Eleanor Roosevelt: “The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

Being in the Marine Corps during the 80's was one hell of a treat for me. I can tell you with all honesty that Marines do act like that. Maybe not all of them, but a large majority of them do and when the shee-it hits the fan those same Marines are all business and professional. I saw Aliens when it first came out in the theaters with a packed room full of other leathernecks. You would not believe the standing ovation the film Marines got from the real deal. And boot looeys are just a hazard of the trade. Every battalion has them and you just have to deal with it, but as everyone who has ever served in the military knows, it's the non-comms who actually run the service. Oliver Stone, on the other hand, was a doped up Army pogue in 'Nam. What do you expect? (No offense to my Army bros in arms who are REAL soldiers.)

*ding ding* got some set photos here

post-11581-1264388667_thumb.jpgpost-11581-1264388680_thumb.jpg

post-11581-1264388710_thumb.jpgpost-11581-1264388726_thumb.jpg

i dunno,but do they look like female preds to you? :unsure:

Oh, that's. Just. AW. FUL!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

somebody get a dung cart to throw the film reel into!

When and where did these dumb-fu*ks lose sight of the basic premise that the Predators are supposed to be mean, imposing, BIG sum-bitches? In the scene where the Predator faces off with Dutch in the swamp, them ain't special-fx in use, or stilts he's standing on--Kevin Peter Hall really DID tower over Arnold like that. Arnold's 6'2"; the late Hall was 7'2".

But oh yeah--the perv in me would probably wanna have a go at a female Predator.

Oh, who am I kidding? We all know Agent ONE is the only one of us here mighty enough to successfully bed a female Predator--and live to tell the tale. :lol:

Aren't you guys bashing this a bit prematurely?

From the Wikipedia page on it, it sounds pretty promising.

As I said, I'm cautiously optimistic.

And where are you guys seeing female predators? In the 5 pics posted above, I don't see anything that looks remotely female.

Graham

And where are you guys seeing female predators? In the 5 pics posted above, I don't see anything that looks remotely female.

Graham

we bash based on blurry half obscured CAD drawings... what makes you think we'd treat movies any differently?

Graham

After the steadily diminishing returns from most franchise sequels I've endured, my formerly cautious optimism has devolved into pre-emptive pessimism... and it actually works out better (for me at least). I went into AVP:R expecting absolute dreck (which some would say is what we got), but like CoryHolmes I actually had fun watching it. So, "Predators" gets the same treatment from me... guilty of disappointment until proven mildly entertaining.

Graham

The comic "Aliens vs Predator: Deadliest of the Species" has set a precedent: female predators look virtually indestinguishable from the males!

Nevertheless, elements of Predator 2, AvP and AvP:R are interesting. However, on the whole, they don't quite hold up. It's a shame really...

Now, I just hope that they will stop "detailing up" the Predator helmet/mask. Simple is best!

Graham

The pic above with the 3 Preds - the middle one especially looks like the calves and feet are a lil' smallish, with some heeled bootwear to me.

The pose is kinda like a cowgirl trying on 4 inch heels for the first time - not a pretty site. Maybe I'm wrong . . .

You guys obviously have a seriously different (and scary) definition of 'female' than me.....LOL!

Anyway, I looked up the three guys who are playing the predators in the movie, but could only find the height listed for one of them, which was 6'5". Apparently one of them is a stuntman well known for playing werewolves and monsters.

Graham

From various news sites:

Cary Jones is the third actor within the Black Super Predator costume in Nimrod Antal's Predators. In the other Predator costumes are genre favs Brian Steel (The Relic, Resident Evil: Extinction, The Cave, Hellboy, Underworld, Blade: Trinity, Men in Black II and more) and Derek Mears (Jason Voorhees in Friday the 13th, The Hills Have Eyes II).

Graham

I liked Alien3 ...

As for Predator...I found Predator 2 to be watchable...like...if I was alone, had nothing better to do and wanted to look at something while consuming beer and pizza.

As for this movie - I probably won't see it unless it turns out to be really awesome. I'm getting the feeling that people are giving too many crap films these days a pass just because of their titles or surface content.

Besides - generally... it is true that most movies are only good in their first incarnation.... Why does everything have to have a sequal these days? Movies are becoming indistintiguishable from TV series... like a movie is no longer a movie - it's "another episode" of a franchise now...

Pete

You guys obviously have a seriously different (and scary) definition of 'female' than me.....LOL!

Anyway, I looked up the three guys who are playing the predators in the movie, but could only find the height listed for one of them, which was 6'5". Apparently one of them is a stuntman well known for playing werewolves and monsters.

Graham

So those are all dudes huh - OK, sorry about that middle stunt guy (you look a little like a predator in drag to me) -- but who started talking about the female Preds? Do we have shots of those? Have they already been in the comics?

Can someone put a scan up?

I will try to stay optimistic about the new movie, but if they blow this one I say the series needs a 10 year break and a complete reboot . . .