Predators in 2010

Vermillion21

It could be interesting, but it will have to buck a VERY big trend to be good. Every film that the Preds have been involved in since the original film has only succeeded in further destroying their reputation as a good SF concept. I know that I am stating the obvious.

Taksraven

It could be interesting, but it will have to buck a VERY big trend to be good. Every film that the Preds have been involved in since the original film has only succeeded in further destroying their reputation as a good SF concept. I know that I am stating the obvious.

Taksraven

What are you talking about? There's only one Predator film. They never made any sequels, and they certainly never made anything as foolish as some kind of crossover with another popular sci-fi horror series. I mean duology, not series. Since they only made two Aliens films, after all.

Sheesh, Taksraven...next thing you'll be telling me is that there's a Terminator 3 or something idiotic like that!

What are you talking about? There's only one Predator film. They never made any sequels, and they certainly never made anything as foolish as some kind of crossover with another popular sci-fi horror series. I mean duology, not series. Since they only made two Aliens films, after all.

Sheesh, Taksraven...next thing you'll be telling me is that there's a Terminator 3 or something idiotic like that!

:p :P

Taksraven

Indeed!

ONE Predator movie.

TWO Alien movies.

No crossovers! They never happened.

Is there an echo in here or something...? :p

Before there were any more Predator movies produces I thought the "Predator" in the Arnold movie was first the creature, then Arnold. I saw the name of the film as more of a behavior of the characters as opposed to the name of a creature.

Before there were any more Predator movies produces I thought the "Predator" in the Arnold movie was first the creature, then Arnold. I saw the name of the film as more of a behavior of the characters as opposed to the name of a creature.

I completely agree Agent ONE! Looking back now it was easy to overlook the play on words. Either way like you I believe there IS only one Predator movie.

Don't get me wrong, taken on it's own, Aliens is a pretty decent sci-fi action flick. But, as an Alien movie, it fails on some fundamental levels. We went from a calulating ambush predator that used it's environment with alarming skill, to a bunch of brainless drones that would run headlong at machine gun nests. Plus, a lot of the tension and scariness go away when you move from a bunch of unarmed blue collar workers, to sending in the space marines.

Doing something different is fine, but making an action movie sequel to a horror film? I think I'll go watch Jesse Ventura not have time to bleed.

i always liked predator 2 myself. Never got why people werent into it. AVP and AVP2 i get (Though i thought AVP2 was OK. It fell apart as it went, but started pretty well) the hate for, and Alien Resurrection as well. A3 I didnt mind either in a lot of ways, though its the weakest of the 3 for sure.

i guess i just look at movies differently.

Don't get me wrong, taken on it's own, Aliens is a pretty decent sci-fi action flick. But, as an Alien movie, it fails on some fundamental levels. We went from a calulating ambush predator that used it's environment with alarming skill, to a bunch of brainless drones that would run headlong at machine gun nests. Plus, a lot of the tension and scariness go away when you move from a bunch of unarmed blue collar workers, to sending in the space marines.

Doing something different is fine, but making an action movie sequel to a horror film? I think I'll go watch Jesse Ventura not have time to bleed.

That's exactly the reason why I enjoy Alien3. It brought the Alien back to being a cunning ambus predator where you had to worry if you had ONE to deal with. I guess Aliens is along the same deal as Conservation of Ninjitsu

That's exactly the reason why I enjoy Alien3. It brought the Alien back to being a cunning ambus predator where you had to worry if you had ONE to deal with. I guess Aliens is along the same deal as Conservation of Ninjitsu

I think you have to also look at the fact that in the original Alien and Alien 3 you saw a single alien dealing with more or less unarmed foes that they were able to stalk and probably study before the kill. The Marines were able to fight back. If you remember the colonists rearlly werent equipped (or trained) to put up a fight and fought a totally improvised loss. The aliens instincts wouldve been to react as they did to the colonists and to primarily capture as opposed to kill outright. Yeah, being in that plant should have been a wipe out, but those motion trackers going off while the aliens were setting up for the kill might have been the only thing that gave the humans a chance to put up a fight. They did adapt and change to "zerg" tactics in responce. Of course were all probably looking to much into it.

I actually have the opposite feeling about alien3. I could write whole books about why I don't like 3 but one of the biggest ones is because it really took the whole franchise backwards. Aliens makes a such a great sequel to Alien because it's a logical progression from the first film. Rather than try to cash in on the first film by recycling the content of the first movie, they took the world of the first film and expanded upon in an interesting way. The two films work together because the make the conscious effort to define themselves by the content of the world and not the content of the plot. Had the second film been just another horror flick about random unarmed smucks getting slaughtered by a lone monster it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting, It would have been the same thing all over and it would have ended up like every other horror film where the sequels just get worse and worse do to lack of originality. rather than saying 'where going to define this franchise as a space horror movie franchise' the took the direction 'where going to define this franchise as one about a universe where the ultimate predator is this creature.

the 3rd movie doesn't work mostly because it's too much like the first film. Just compared to the first it's unoriginal and uninspired and that's made worse by the fact that it fallows the Aliens which did so much that was new, different and original.

Actually, I quite liked Predator 2.

Not as good as the original of course, but still a respectible film in it's own right.

So for me, there's: -

Only 2 Alien movies.

Only 1 Highlander movie.

Only 2 Predator movies.

Only 2 Mad Max movies.

Only 1 Robocop movie.

Only 1 Matrix movie.

Oh, and while not genre movies, there's: -

Only 1 Lethal Weapon movie.

Only 1 Die Hard movie.

Any sequals to the above are just figments of someone's feveed imagination and don't actually exist.

Graham

hmmm,i dont know,it has potential, but i can already smell the cheese that these human characters are going to be covered in. i hope for predators legacy that im wrong.

Sure. Every sucky movie has potential to go to Blockbuster...

I like Predator 2, though obviously not as much as the original. They shoulda brought Dutch back for a sequel.

I've always been a bit annoyed at the Colonial Marines in Aliens. Those guys were way too undisciplined to be Marines... regular Army or National Guard I could buy... Unprofessional, too... why would they not figure out their appropriate weapons before hand? That should have been a basic premise of the mission planning. One would think they would have to have weapons suitable for fighting on ship in space (not punching holes in the hull is important!) and have the appropriate ammunition for it - no need for a completely different weapons issue. Of course, it shows the Cameron and Oliver Stone incomplete understanding of military professionalism, but they either sent the dregs of the Colonial Marines on that mission (with a wet behind the ears boot lieutenant at that) or it was a mission meant to fail by sending an understaffed incompetant undisciplined bottom 10%.

I like Alien 3, too... We all know how Fincher wasn't really driving the bus on that, but even so, there's much good stuff in there. I prefer the dog alien to the cow or whatever it was supposed to be, too.

I like Predator 2, though obviously not as much as the original. They shoulda brought Dutch back for a sequel.

Actually THATS something that I have wondered about over the years and I don't think I have ever found out the answer for. Why didn't they bring Arnie back for Pred 2. Too expensive to hire him? Was he too busy making other films (I think it must have been one of the busiest parts of his career)? Or did they just think they could manage without him??

Taksraven

Actually, I quite liked Predator 2.

Not as good as the original of course, but still a respectible film in it's own right.

So for me, there's: -

Only 2 Alien movies.

Only 1 Highlander movie.

Only 2 Predator movies.

Only 2 Mad Max movies.

Only 1 Robocop movie.

Only 1 Matrix movie.

Oh, and while not genre movies, there's: -

Only 1 Lethal Weapon movie.

Only 1 Die Hard movie.

Any sequals to the above are just figments of someone's feveed imagination and don't actually exist.

Graham

And there was never a Macross with a number after it.