• 2 weeks later...

The 2012 version of Total Recall, I LOVE THAT FILM! I know that may be crime to say this but: I FREAKING HATED THE ORIGINAL TOTAL RECALL!!!

Not a crime to like the remake, it had an OK moment or two (and Kate Beckinsale :wub:). But for the crime of dissing the original you're sentenced to multiple viewings of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Skyline, back to back to back.

-b.

Since it's Transformers month, I've been looking through Michael Bay's back catalog. Still won't touch Pearl Harbor with a 10-foot pole, but this one's actually not one of his explosive turds.

Pain & Gain is your typical Michael Bay film - only at the fraction of the typical Michael Bay budget. Despite having only one explosion, it still sports Bay's style of direction (which consists mostly of spinning camera shots, overhead camera angles, and slow-motion cuts) and is riddled with toilet humor, only that because it's rated R, it's amped up to vomit-inducing levels. What makes this film controversial is that it is set as a dark comedy while telling the audience numerous times that it is based on a true story. At the same time, it sympathizes with the villainous protagonists played by Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and Anthony Mackie, who end up being juiced-up versions of the Three Stooges. Putting all of these issues aside, the film benefits from outstanding performances by Ed Harris and Tony Shalhoub.

In short, despite a lot of sugarcoating over the true-to-life events, Pain & Gain is actually one of Michael Bay's more tolerable films.

And here's the actual story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2LFJC5onr4

I don't think guilty pleasure really applies when you don't feel guilty about enjoying something, but I do have this odd habit where any time I'm flipping channels and find Hello Dolly playing, I have to sit down and watch it to the end, even if it's 1:30 in the morning and it's just starting (like right now).

I love musicals, and Hello Dolly is perhaps the greatest musical ever.

I've been known to put some of Vanessa Hudgens' songs on the jukebox at work. Now, it may be that I feel guilty because I derive perverse pleasure in watching other people suffer, or it may be that I am perverse enough to somehow actually enjoy her songs; either way I am going to hell...

• 4 weeks later...

Tremors ....5? Broke into the wrong gawddam rec room! Michael Gross is apparently strapping on his boots and guns as survivalist monster hunter Burt Gummer again. Casting currently for a September kick-off.

http://moviehole.net/201478460exclusive-about-this-tremors-reboot

Val/Kevin Bacon: You will have long blonde hair, big green eyes, world class breasts, ass that won't quit and legs that go all the way up!!

• 1 month later...

Let's see now, some of my guilty pleasures...

As seen by my avatar, I'm into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and I thoroughly enjoyed Macross 7.

As mentioned in another thread, I'm also into the anime Rail Wars!

I'm finding myself being dragged back into the Sonic fandom, mainly because of the upcoming Sonic Boom TV show, as well as the comic series having undergone a continuity reboot.

Finally, I've found myself playing Robotech: Battlecry again, if only because it's the closest I'll ever get to playing the Macross VFX games or Macross 30.

Edited by Devil 505

Confession time --- I grew up in the 80's with Saturday morning cartoons.... I just bought Seasons 1-3 of Ducktales on DVD used off Amazon along with Smurfs Season 1. I'm going to hide now. :ph34r:

DuckTales is never a guilty pleasure, as it's one of the top two Disney animated series of all-time (the other being Gargoyles).

TOTALLY forgotten about D.W.!!! I did however also pickup Heathcliff and Friends DVD for like $8. :rolleyes: I also coughed up the Amazon Prime Video $$$ for the first two Seasons of Star Blazers---whoa---talk about memory lane..I don't remember much at all. I'm almost finished with Season 1 which has been ok I guess, Leader Desslock is for sure the best villain for some time. He's hilarious. I'm really looking forward the "The Comet Empire" series next, I remember it being better than "Quest for Iscandar".

Edited by derex3592

You know Skyline wasn't that bad. ^_^

It started off sooo good, and then the ending... Any ending that relies on shots of what look like storyboards during the end credits to tie up the plot qualifies as a bad movie.

Okay, my guilty pleasure is League of Extraordinary Gentlemen because Sean Connery.

MMMMMMMMMM..... Cleo....mmmmmmm :p

Them legwarmers tho... HOT.

Not sure if I feel really guilty about it, but I love The Runaways movie and the band too. Plus now I got a thing for blond women, but that's Dakota Fanning's fault. :p

My brothers give me a hard time 'cause they say is chicks music, but I don't care. They were really badass. Real rocker girls. And they pulled off the bad girl attitude in a way today popstars just can't.

• 1 month later...

Dear gawd man...why? ;)

LOL! Credits are rolling right now...and I can honestly say that supreme boredom made me do it. I've watched movies a 2nd or even 3rd time because I wanted to like them. Hoping that the subsequent viewings will make me see something in them I didn't realize the 1st time around. That's very much the case with World War Z.

Also - apparently a glutton for punishment.

-b.

Following a tip from The Onion's A.V. Club, some friends and I recently watched "Shakma" on Netflix. This 1990 (looking like 1980) film about a group of LARPers being killed off by a crazed baboon was the best bad movie I have seen in years. Just flat out amazingly awful on so many levels that we laughed for an hour and a half straight, and I was talking about it for days afterwards (case in point). And the best part was that - unlike modern Asylum-style films - it was played 100% straight by everyone involved.

Truly bad movies are my guilty pleasure; if they are yours as well, please check "Shakma" out.

I will have to check that out.

I'll admit, Sharknado was fun, especially beside my shark scientist wife and some beer in the tummy. But yeah, movies made-to-be-bad are just soulless excesses in shlock. Overall, I hate the Asylum films. But yeah, awful movies where you know the director thought he'd made something really special - that's where it's at.

Following a tip from The Onion's A.V. Club, some friends and I recently watched "Shakma" on Netflix. This 1990 (looking like 1980) film about a group of LARPers being killed off by a crazed baboon was the best bad movie I have seen in years. Just flat out amazingly awful on so many levels that we laughed for an hour and a half straight, and I was talking about it for days afterwards (case in point). And the best part was that - unlike modern Asylum-style films - it was played 100% straight by everyone involved.

Truly bad movies are my guilty pleasure; if they are yours as well, please check "Shakma" out.

Damnnn Nordic Netflix doesn't have 'Shakma'! It's a crime. From you description it sounds like an absolute classic

Also - apparently a glutton for punishment.

-b.

Next time just ask, I always need my house cleaned :)

I've been known to watch this godawful melodrama anime called Makurosu. If that ain't a guilty pleasure, I dunno what is.

But, but...I've based my entire life on the belief that Makurosu is the height of artistic quality, dramatic sophistication and literary complexity! This is not so? I think now I know how Catholics feel :)

But, but...I've based my entire life on the belief that Makurosu is the height of artistic quality, dramatic sophistication and literary complexity! This is not so? I think now I know how Catholics feel :)

By that you mean pious and faithful? :hail::p