Guyver Out of Control - 1986

Area88

guyver-1.jpg

Wrote and released Guyver Out of Control review today on the website. Trying to go back to the old format of making reviews comprehensive.

Anything Guyver related I coulds have missed? I have not read the manga or watched all of the TV series yet.

I know this isn't as obscure as some of the other stuff on the site but it's too good to miss out. I might do a few more lost VHS releases.

Edited by Area88

guyver-1.jpg

Wrote and released Guyver Out of Control review today on the website. Trying to go back to the old format of making reviews comprehensive.

Anything Guyver related I coulds have missed? I have not read the manga or watched all of the TV series yet.

I know this isn't as obscure as some of the other stuff on the site but it's too good to miss out. I might do a few more lost VHS releases.

Direct Link - Click Here

Nice review but d/l link doesn't work in HK! How about a mirror like mediafire?

I've had this account a long time, but have always lurked.

I made an alternative link for download: http://www.filefactory.com/file/a0b3e04/n/...f_Control_1986_

Hopefully it should work for most of you.

I've seen the recent TV series and half or so of the '90s series. I didn't mind this one for being a one-shot OVA from the 1980s.

Wasn't one of Sho's friends that was killed off quickly a main character in the recent TV series and manga? Also, was the female Guyver a replacement for Guyver II from the recent series/manga as well? Seemed like a sort of similar character. Guyver III is supposed to be Sho's classmate if I'm not mistaken, but he hardly got much air time. I'm a little vague on the issues, sorry.

Going a bit off topic I recall the recent series being very open ended. I wouldn't mind a sequel, seeing that I recall the manga is surprisingly still on going. They could probably continue to be true to the manga as it is so long that they'd have a long time to catch up to it.

The new animated series is quite open-ended because the main manga series hasn't finished yet ^_^ I will admit that one of the things I dislike about the manga (and therefore, the latter half of the animated series') is just how much "bigger" everything got. We started off with Zoanoids who were strong, some who were fast, some who had lasers, etc. Now we're at the point of needing a Guyver upgrade, Zoanoids who have absurd levels of powers, and don't even get me started on the Zoalords...

The whole storyline would be much more enjoyable if it didn't have quite as much power-creep to it.

Thanks Newtype for providing that link. I hope you post more often, we love old school fans.

I will look into a way of geting all megaupload links available to Hong Kong users, I'm sure there is a loophole somewhere.

The '80s and '90s are my favorite decades in anime, definitely.

The new animated series is quite open-ended because the main manga series hasn't finished yet ^_^ I will admit that one of the things I dislike about the manga (and therefore, the latter half of the animated series') is just how much "bigger" everything got. We started off with Zoanoids who were strong, some who were fast, some who had lasers, etc. Now we're at the point of needing a Guyver upgrade, Zoanoids who have absurd levels of powers, and don't even get me started on the Zoalords...

The whole storyline would be much more enjoyable if it didn't have quite as much power-creep to it.

It feels a mixture of Super Robot style/monster of the week, real robot with a mature soap opera, and Power Rangers/Kamen Rider. Also, a lot of mystery and conspiracy/thriller. Sounds like an odd mix at first glance. I was even skeptical before I saw some of it, but I became pretty interested. It sounds pretty crazy that the manga is still going. I can't even imagine what is going down now. That's why I'd love to see an extend to the recent series and possibly branch off a little.

I got this on VHS years ago too---it's actually sitting in a pile of old movies next to my PC right now. Haven't watched it in a LONG time though.

We need more female Guyvers... I'm surprised they've never done a new/updated action figure or model or something---there's just that one old re-re-re-re-cast kit.

I remember this from long ago, the Blockbuster in Merced by the mall still had the VHS of this well into 2003-2004. Found the copy put up for download, but was disappointed with the quality. If you look for it by the full Japanese name you can find a much better copy. Found my copy on a torrent site, much better picture and audio. Don't remember where i found mine, but the name to search by is Kyoushoku Soukou Guyver.

Cruel Angel's Thesis

It feels a mixture of Super Robot style/monster of the week, real robot with a mature soap opera, and Power Rangers/Kamen Rider. Also, a lot of mystery and conspiracy/thriller.

The bolded parts are my favourite. At the start, the monsters were strong because they had bigger/more muscles. The ones that could shoot used lasers. Some had acid for blood, or enhanced senses, or could jump because of leg design... it all seemed fairly plausable and not too "far out". I also enjoy the designs for the Zoalords, but their abilities are just too absurd for my liking. One controls gravity while another has lightning? One can teleport stuff from A to B? One is a living tree and one is a giant brain? Ugh, no thanks. This is my stop, lemme offa this bus!

It sounds pretty crazy that the manga is still going. I can't even imagine what is going down now. That's why I'd love to see an extend to the recent series and possibly branch off a little.

The author decided that the Guyver Gigantic wasn't gigantic enough so he increased its size to Godzilla/Super Sentai size:

gigantic_exceed_desktop_by_drag_5.jpg

We need more female Guyvers... I'm surprised they've never done a new/updated action figure or model or something---there's just that one old re-re-re-re-cast kit.

The author heard your appeal, it would seem. He's introduced a new character:

book2613ht6.jpg

I love the Guyver. The manga is up to volume 26 and I believe the female Guyver 2 is named Valkyria and the Godzilla size is called Gigantic Exceed. Thanks to to the wikipedia so I could get those names right. For those that have the manga volumes you can really see the artist style change over time.

Edited by Sdf Prime

Found the copy put up for download, but was disappointed with the quality. If you look for it by the full Japanese name you can find a much better copy.

Thanks I will try to find or make a better copy of this.

Speaking of which, I havn't announced it anywhere but I remastered Cosmo Police Justy and you can now download the new version from my website.

Well i have some time before work, found the torrent i got on. The file is close to 700 megs. The link is near the top of the page, its the little green box with download in white. Once again took me a while to find it. . .again (must get caffine). Enjoy.

http://www.bakabt.com/torrent/130115/Kyous...x480%29_MW.html

Googling "female guyver" (which I haven't done in quite a while) I found the new one---seems to be called Guyver 4? (though that's like the 2nd or 3rd use of that term IIRC). But I could only find like 3 pics/scans, including the one posted. Not much to go on. I can't tell if it's fan art or official, that the new one seems to have an identical purple color.

Googling "female guyver" (which I haven't done in quite a while) I found the new one---seems to be called Guyver 4? (though that's like the 2nd or 3rd use of that term IIRC). But I could only find like 3 pics/scans, including the one posted. Not much to go on. I can't tell if it's fan art or official, that the new one seems to have an identical purple color.

If it ain't broke... ^_^