Seriously: Why don't any of YK's other soundtracks sound as br

isamu

Seriously.... is there another soundtrack she's done that has such a varying and unique sound like Macross Pluss? I'm sorry but In my opinion there hasn't been any other soundtrack like Mac+. It's just too amazing for words. There isn't ONE bad track on that album! They're all pretty much flawless IMHO. Sure Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne are classics, and Stand Alone Complex is great too, but in my opinion they don't touch the brilliance of Mac+. It's as if YK was determined to make her mark as a legendary anime composer when she did M+. Almost as if she walked into the room and said "Let me show you what I got", and proceeded to simply OBLITERATE everything else out there!

This soundtrack has a style, elegance and sound of its own that I don't will ever be reached by anything else. Just my $0.02 of course :)

Seriously.... is there another soundtrack she's done that has such a varying and unique sound like Macross Pluss?

Try Arjuna :)http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6E94D37A4DAD4525

But for me, nothing beats what she did for Bebop. I usually measure an OST based on how it fit with the animation, and none of her works have been on par with that one.

Man, have you ever listened to her other works? Cowboy Bebop's soundtracks are masterpieces. Escaflowne is also really good.

But you are somehow right if you refer only to her Macross sountracks. After having listened to Macross Plus, Frontier feels only like a side project (sadly).

Edited by nexxstrait

I love all the vocal stuff from GITS, and "Green Bird" from Cowboy Bebop is one of my all time favourite tracks (in fact, the whole "No Disc" album is awesome), but I too think Macross Plus is her best work as an overall package. Of course it all depends on your style preference. If you don't like jazz, Cowboy Bebop can put you off (as it does for me in some places). I love grand orchestral John Williams-esque soundtracks, so Macross Plus fits me perfectly, with Escaflowne a close second.

I think this is definitely one of those subjects that is going to depend on personal tastes, etc.

I will say her work on Macross Plus was excellent (and it's what introduced me to her music; and I've seen a number of people mention that the music for Macross Plus was what really made them take notice of soundtracks in general), and it has some of my favorite works of hers; Wanna Be An Angel, Santi-U, After in the Dark/Torch Song, Information High, Voices. I also love the orchestral stuff - especially the National Anthem of Macross.

But I think I'd take issue with the notion that it is specifically special in the sense that it is varying and unique, which seems to be a large part of your point. I guess arguably some of her soundtrack work has been a bit less varied (I guess I would point to Turn A Gundam as a soundtrack that has a lot of music of the same general style, or maybe Darker Than Black). But I don't think I'd say that Macross Plus is the epitome of a soundtrack representing variety and uniqueness - I think I'd probably have to point to Cowboy Bebop and/or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I would say, to be fair, that it's hard to compare..... the Macross Plus soundtrack represents the music needed for 4 half-hour OVA episodes and a movie version of the OVA's. By comparison, the musical output for Cowboy Bebop (a 26 episode series with a heavy emphasis on music, as well as a completely new movie with a full soundtrack's worth of additional music) or Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (representing 52 episodes and the Solid State Society movie) was much larger.

So yes, I think Macross Plus is some of her best work, but do I think it is uniquely brilliant compared to her other works? No.

But really, I'm not sure it matters. I have a hard time getting into the realm of trying to rank which soundtrack is best - all of them have their unique qualities, and also their own individual strengths.

-Elektrix

I still have Vol1 & Vol2 Mac+ Soundtrack CD's sitting around lol. Reading this thread made me want to listen to them :) . In all honesty I wouldn't rate the songs as great, the variety was "great" though. The tracks performed by the Israeli Philharmonic were awesome though.

Though I'd rate Turn A Gundam's "Moon" as my favorite YK composed song :) .

And as good as Plus's soundtrack was, Sheryl's vocals are on a whole higher level than Sharon's.

Curse you as a blasphemer and an uncouth lout, sir! :angry: I'd take Ranka's "What 'bout my star" over Sheryl's any day, and "Idol Talk" over the lot of them. Next you'll write you prefer Reba West to Mari Ijima and our eyes will bleed just to read it... :lol:

P.S. To be taken with appropriate grains of salt... my avatar is a fictional satanic bass player, so what do I know? ^_^

Edited by Penguin

Curse you as a blasphemer and an uncouth lout, sir! :angry: I'd take Ranka's "What 'bout my star" over Sheryl's any day, and "Idol Talk" over the lot of them. Next you'll write you prefer Reba West to Mari Ijima and our eyes will bleed just to read it... :lol:

P.S. To be taken with appropriate grains of salt... my avatar is a fictional satanic bass player, so what do I know? ^_^

INFITIY #7

NORTHERN CROSS

DIAMOND CREVASSE VACUUM

PINK MONSOON

SHERYL = WIN!

INFITIY #7

NORTHERN CROSS

DIAMOND CREVASSE VACUUM

PINK MONSOON

SHERYL = WIN!

Haven't heard "Pink Monsoon" yet... on the rest we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

I love the music for "Northern Cross" and "Diamond Crevasse Vacuum", but I don't particularly care for May'n's voice (there's my personal Macross musical heresy). "Infinity #7" I can do without entirely. Sheryl's songs tend to be really... busy is the word that comes to mind, in terms of arrangement. Aesthetically, I tend to enjoy simpler arrangements. One of my favourite Macross Plus tracks is "Coma", for example (call me moody and emo, whatever :p ). You could see this trend to more complex arrangements in some of the Cowboy Bebop works, and songs like "Inner Universe" from Stand Alone Complex, but while I enjoy most of those I don't really enjoy the Macross Frontier works that continue in the same vein. Megumi's tracks from Mac F and "Some Other Time" from SAC are more my taste.

So, for me, SHERYL = NOT INTERESTED :mellow:

I think this is definitely one of those subjects that is going to depend on personal tastes, etc.

I will say her work on Macross Plus was excellent (and it's what introduced me to her music; and I've seen a number of people mention that the music for Macross Plus was what really made them take notice of soundtracks in general), and it has some of my favorite works of hers; Wanna Be An Angel, Santi-U, After in the Dark/Torch Song, Information High, Voices. I also love the orchestral stuff - especially the National Anthem of Macross.

But I think I'd take issue with the notion that it is specifically special in the sense that it is varying and unique, which seems to be a large part of your point. I guess arguably some of her soundtrack work has been a bit less varied (I guess I would point to Turn A Gundam as a soundtrack that has a lot of music of the same general style, or maybe Darker Than Black). But I don't think I'd say that Macross Plus is the epitome of a soundtrack representing variety and uniqueness - I think I'd probably have to point to Cowboy Bebop and/or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I would say, to be fair, that it's hard to compare..... the Macross Plus soundtrack represents the music needed for 4 half-hour OVA episodes and a movie version of the OVA's. By comparison, the musical output for Cowboy Bebop (a 26 episode series with a heavy emphasis on music, as well as a completely new movie with a full soundtrack's worth of additional music) or Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (representing 52 episodes and the Solid State Society movie) was much larger.

So yes, I think Macross Plus is some of her best work, but do I think it is uniquely brilliant compared to her other works? No.

But really, I'm not sure it matters. I have a hard time getting into the realm of trying to rank which soundtrack is best - all of them have their unique qualities, and also their own individual strengths.

-Elektrix

Good post Elektrix and after giving it some more thought I'd have to say your absolutely correct :)

Turn-A & Frontier!! Also Arjuna!!

I was just going to say, I think her finest work was the Turn A Gundam soundtrack. The song 'Moon's Cocoon' literally brings tears to my eyes whenever I hear it.

Probably helps a little that I rate Turn A Gundam as one of top 3 anime series' of all time.

Edited by Sketch

I was just going to say, I think her finest work was the Turn A Gundam soundtrack. The song 'Moon's Cocoon' literally brings tears to my eyes whenever I hear it.

Probably helps a little that I rate Turn A Gundam as one of top 3 anime series' of all time.

I have the Turn A Gundam soundtrack+DVD Concert and yeah it really is good. But is the anime really that good? Cuz I hear it kinda sucks.

The main gripe people have about Turn A is the titular Gundam and its prominent moustache. You can thank Syd Mead for that. The anime itself is pretty good if you look past the aesthetic of the Mobile Suit designs. Go watch it if you get a chance and judge it yourself.

As for the music, it's one of the better ones out there and it certainly is of better quality compared to some of the contemporary anime soundtracks.

I have the Turn A Gundam soundtrack+DVD Concert and yeah it really is good. But is the anime really that good? Cuz I hear it kinda sucks.

I think it is quite possibly the best anime TV series I've seen. The setting, characters, story, and music are just magical. I've heard some people complain about the pacing, but I don't think I was ever bored, not even for a second, the whole 50 run was totally engrossing. IMO Turn A didn't just transcend the Gundam franchise, it transcended the mecha genre as a whole.

The main gripe people have about Turn A is the titular Gundam and its prominent moustache. You can thank Syd Mead for that. The anime itself is pretty good if you look past the aesthetic of the Mobile Suit designs. Go watch it if you get a chance and judge it yourself.

Opinions are like... well you know. In my opinion Syd Mead is a freakin genius; Sumo, Turn A, and Turn X are three of the most awesome mechanical designs ever animated in Japan. But that's me, and I can understand why Turn A's designs are so polarizing, they're pretty far from the norm.

Edited by Sketch

I agree with what you just said, sketch. Turn A was one of the most memorable animes I've seen in a long time partly because it didn't feel like it was a Gundam anime at all. The music written for it was gorgeous. It had this sweeping feel of nostalgic and epic at the same time. It's good stuff.

About the mecha designs for Turn A (Mods: I know this is off-topic but I'll keep it short here before someone whines/bitches) they are perhaps the most refreshing and unique design in a long while. It polarizes the fans because it was a total departure from what most anime mechas are usually expected to look like. I'm a fan of Syd Mead's works so his design is my cup of tea and that includes Mr. Moustache himself, the Turn A.

To be honest, although I like Cowboy Bebop and have watched the series through twice, I just can't recall the music at all. Nothing really memorable to me there. I'm sure I liked it while watching the series, but nothing has stuck in my mind. Same goes for the Escaflowne soundtrack.

Macross Plus on the other hand has some of the most memorable anime music ever IMO, which I still listen to and hum all the time.

Graham

To be honest, although I like Cowboy Bebop and have watched the series through twice, I just can't recall the music at all. Nothing really memorable to me there. I'm sure I liked it while watching the series, but nothing has stuck in my mind.

The most interesting thing about the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack for me was 'Remixes for the Freelance' album. It features a number of electronic music artists who were insturmental in popularizing IDM/Braindance, including Luke Vibert, DMX Krew, 4Hero and a couple others.

On a related note, I always figured that Yoko Kanno had something to do with the Aphex Twin cameo in Macross Plus.

what is the Aphex Twin cameo ? Can you explain?

Aphex Twin is one of the aliases used by Richard D. James, he's a prolific electronic music artist who made a lot of groundbreaking music in the 90's.

There is a scene in Macross Plus Episode 1, during the Eden City montage, an advert for 'Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 2030-2039' shows up on a bus stop.

At work at the moment, will take a screengrab when I get home.

Aphex Twin is one of the aliases used by Richard D. James, he's a prolific electronic music artist who made a lot of groundbreaking music in the 90's.

There is a scene in Macross Plus Episode 1, during the Eden City montage, an advert for 'Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 2030-2039' shows up on a bus stop.

At work at the moment, will take a screengrab when I get home.

I can barely even explain how excited I was when I saw the Aphex logo the second or third time I watched Plus...!

To be honest, although I like Cowboy Bebop and have watched the series through twice, I just can't recall the music at all. Nothing really memorable to me there. I'm sure I liked it while watching the series, but nothing has stuck in my mind.

If "See You Space Cowboy" doesn't make you go go "hell yes" I just don't know what I can say to ya. And Who can forget the OP...Three Two One, lets go.

For good measure. Edited by Rbstr