Nadia: The Motion Picture

areaseven

And now for another episode of...

nadiacover.jpg

nadiamoviecover.jpgadv15.jpg

Nadia: The Motion Picture ( ふしぎの海のナディア )

Sogo Vision/Ichimura Collection/Toho Films, 1990

ADV Films, 2003

Directed by Sho Aono.

Rated 15+ for violence, nudity and mature situations.

Two years after the events that transpired in the highly-acclaimed Nadia of the Mysterious Seas TV series, Nadia, Jean and the Grandis gang reunite to stop an evil scientist from beginning a global war with his robot creations.

Story: D-

As much as I enjoy watching the TV series, this movie version is a major letdown. The first 30 minutes (felt like an hour, though) consist of nothing but poorly-edited clips from the series. As a matter of fact, it makes the Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 movie look like an Oscar winner for best editing. The rest of the movie just suffers from numerous plot holes and unending boredom.

Animation: D-

The TV series has its good moments and its bad moments when it comes to animation quality. But even the worst episode cannot compare to the production values of this film. Suffering from weak artwork and even worse animation, Nadia: The Motion Picture is so bad, it makes Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi-yo! Masaru-san look like Spirited Away.

Soundtrack: C

While the opening and ending themes sound okay, Shiro Sagisu's (Nadia TV Series, Neon Genesis Evangelion) musical score for this movie is lackluster.

Sub vs. Dub

Reprising their roles are Yoshino Takamori (Lemul in Aura Battler Dunbine, Sayaka in Yawara!) as Nadia, Noriko Hidaka (Noriko in Gunbuster, Akane in Ranma 1/2) as Jean, Kumiko Takizawa (Panther Zora in New Cutey Honey) as Grandis, Toshiharu Sakurai (Amagasaki in Tenchi Muyo!) as Hanson, and Kenryu Horiuchi (Gren in Cowboy Bebop, Asakura in Shaman King) as Sanson. Joining the cast are Tsukasa Ito as Fuzzy, Chikao Ohtsuka (Synapse in Mobile Suit Gundam 0083, Tora in Ushio & Tora) as Geiger, and Tamio Ohki (Tashiro in Gunbuster, Nutuk in Macross Zero) as Dr. Whola.

The movie itself pissed me off so much, I didn't bother to listen to the English dub. It probably sucks, anyway.

DVD Extras: D-

Just the original opening title and clean ending sequence.

The Bottom Line

Nadia: The Motion Picture is so piss-poor, even Nadia herself (note above image) hates it.

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Dude, I feel your pain. I won this piece of garbage on an eBay auction about 2 years ago as a VCD, and was so totally iritated I did to it what I did to my Sentinels and Ninja Resurrection DVDs. (Anyone want to shoot some skeet?)

I was pretty sure I made a mention of this horrible movie in the Gunbuster Fan Club, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Noriko Takaya