what's more worth it for $200?

arrow

what's more worth it for $200?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who does your money go to?

• a Bandai 1/60 DX Macross F
    • Yamato 1/60 VF Toy

Not sure that the comparison is valid because Bandai's DX only covers Macross Frontier. People might chose Yamato simply because they prefer earlier Macross series and designs and not because they don't like the DX per se. Same goes the other way - and vice versa. One can only imagine what Yamato would have done had they been given the chance to produce a Frontier valkyrie; they weren't...so... not sure how to answer this.

Pete

Good point about the license. This post is born out of the frustration of deciding what to get next. Heck, ill get both eventually.

Its annoying how yamato uses so few metal and how bandai has nasty sculpt modes like the gerwalk. And, they both cost so much.

Get the one that is either limited or has more content first. Regardless of the license, the bulk of the costs is in development and production (materials).

Or if both items are mass production and not limited, wait it out. Eventually gets cheaper, and use the money to buy up the cheaper ones first.

If the choice is between two toys i eventually get both anyways unless one gets really terrible reviews.

Exactly what Yamato VF are you looking at ?

There are a lot of 1/60 Yamatos. VF-0's, VF-1's, VF-11's, YF-19's, YF-21's, VF-22's, SV-51's....

Might help to know which one specifically so i might or might not recommend it.

The YF-21 and SV-51 are probably best matched against the DX because they all come with display stands and all the gizmo's and gadgets like booster's, FP's and weapons. The 21 and 51 also have pretty much rock solid QC with very few problems and complaints.

The VF-11 is fantastic too, but alittle overpriced for the size and what you get.

Best value for money i guess is one of those new 1/60 VF-1's with super and strike pack combos.

Edited by thankheaven

I got more satisfaction out of the new 1/60 VF-1 without any doubt. I bought my first Yamato 1/60 VF-1 (Hikaru VF-1S w/ super parts) along with the Bandai Ozma/Alto VF-25 valkyries. I wasn't too keen on Bandai after their Macross 7 valkyries. I gave them another shot after a decade to see if their toys had improved. I transformed the VF-25 valkyries once and put them on ebay the next day. I still have my VF-1S sitting on my desk to this day. For me, Yamato delivers on quality and accuracy. Bandai has many excellent toys, however they fall short when it's Macross.

Edited by halfan

If you have to choose between the two, you probably like the designs equally, so i'd suggest the yamato as they are much more model-like than the toy like DX. I like the VF-25 design so i went with three VF-25. But i have 2 yamatos too

But personally, i think thankheaven is probably right... u'll end up getting both at some point.

the only ones i'm debating on is either a YF-22, VF-22, any SV-51 or any VF-25.

I'm done & happy(with my 1/48) with the VF-1.

On a weight and playablility basis, definitely the Bandai VF25S with armor. It costs less than a Yamato VF22S but comes with more plastic and more importantly, a stand to display your new toy, which Yamato wants to charge an extra US$50 for it. <_<

I was in your position. But financially, I'm ok. So I ended up getting both.

But no more VF1s for me. I had enough of them during my 1/48 crazy days. :lol:

(well, except maybe just these 3 1/60 Vx1: VF1S LV Roy, VT and VE1) ^_^

In terms of value for money get the YF-21 over the VF-22. The VF-22 is probably the most basic Yamato release and only comes with two gunpods and a stand adaptor for the price. And its a hefty price.

The YF-21 comes with gunpods, fastpacks and a really good stand all in one package so you get more for your money thats for sure.

I know the 22 doesn't have fastpacks but it could have come with a display stand atleast for the price. I love the toy, infact i like the 22 more then the 21 in terms of design but its just that it doesn't come with a lot of stuff other releases does.

The v2 1/60 vf-1's are just amazing toys to have. looks great in all three modes and it's so detailed :) If I had to pick one mode I love best it would be gerwalk! Nose is so low. haha Plus it's on sale at overdrive so go grab one if it's your first.

I also have the 1/60 yf-21. Let me tell you this is also a work of art. Gotta love yamato engineering. I can't choose a favorite between the vf-1 and the yf-21.

Next purchase is either the double nuts yf-19 or the vf-11b.

I don't manhandle the toy like some people do, I just mainly display them, transform them sometimes and play with them in their preset poses. If you want to play with them hardcore then Bandai is the company to go for.

Most of my money has gone to Yamato (wouldn't mind if they opened up a store hear in the US seeing as most of their customers are here too) but I broke down and ordered a DX 1/60 Ozma Armored Valkyrie just this one since it is 200+ bucks (thanks Macrosssnake) and no more shelf space unless I get some wall shelves pt up when I move yet again.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

The "good" thing about Bandai's DX line is that the "guilt" only lasts "four times" since really other than Alto, Ozma, Luca and Michael...who are you going to get? I suppose people who got the first edition Ozma are now "stuck" "having to" get the armored one, but I never got the first edition (those bent antenna just scared me away) and now am happily waiting on my armored Ozma...

Ragging on Yamato for now providing a stand for the VF-22S....but then again Bandai didn't even provide a stand for the VF-25F either, and the super parts are available only through warped channels unless you want to get the baby blue combo...

I guess what I'm saying is that there are up sides and down sides on both sides...

The VF-25 is a decent work. It's not an embarassment. Yamato's work is more clean, true, but they've been doing this particular gig a bit longer than Bandai...

Price wise I think both companies do a good job for what they ask.

Both also have issues that need work.

I dunno...

It's not really that big of a dilema

Bandai is only asking for money for 4 fighters. It's Yamato that is offering seven trillion variants (and good). Now - this basically means that if you're a fan, more money will be spent on Yamato just by default.

I mean - even if you "pick" Bandai...then...so what? After buying 4 DX VF-25s - you're basically done with the Macross Frontier line unless you want the models too.

So...that leaves about a zillion Yamatos to buy.

Seriously - I think this isn't an existential dilema, but rather a question of pacing and prioritizing. Maybe do this: Three Months - Three Yamatos. Fourth Month - One DX. Three Months - Three more Yamatos. Fourth month - One more DX - and so on. That way you get 9 Yamatos in a year and 4 DXs.

And you're done with Bandai.

Pete

I don't have any real problems with the Bandai. It is a generally better toy than a Yamato (durability wise). The Yamato's always had better detail detail though. I only wish I was more into my stuff being toys. I fiddle with them once and a while but all they really are (including my Bandai) are pose-able display pieces. That's why we buy stands and/or put valks in display cases is it not? I find allot more joy in posing and displaying my valks than playing with them. Besides I display mine in the office if I started playing with them all the time I would get fired..... :ph34r: