Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Mark your calendars and get your PayPal/credit cards ready, folks. MP Rodimus will be released on January with an estimated price of ¥16,800/$202.24 (early bird preorder price is available for ¥15,960/$191.47). BBTS has it for pre-order for $199.99 (+ shipping).

Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy Official Release Date and Price

Anime Export have the cheapest price I've seen so far at 11760Yen/$139.17USD plus shipping from Japan.

I bought a couple items for Anime export before and everything was fine. They respond to emails quickly and ship quickly. However, be careful when pre-ordering. It might look like a great price, but most of the time they'll charge you a bit more for shipping when all of the final calculations are done with. So don't be surprised that when you made your payment for your pre-order, another small extra shipping charge will come up. Hence, this is why I think AE should just charge the customer when the item is in stock and the final shipping charge could be determined, not the other way around. Just my 2 cents.

does anyone think amiami will have mp rodimus? it might be cheaper although i've only bought from hlj and bbts mostly but they're too high over there for this one.

AmiAmi will list it soon I'm sure. I predict their preorder price to be around 14,000Yen. With the exchange rate being so crappy right now I'm hesitant to preorder from a Japanese site. Even at 14000 Yen once you add in EMS (a toy this size will be between 4000 and 5000 yen) and factor in the exchange rate it comes out to around $220. It's $199.99 at BBTS and shipping would be, I'd guess, around $10. It's rare for an import to actually be cheaper through BBTS, but there it is.

The long and the short of it is that regardless of where we buy this thing from we're going to be playing in the $200 neighborhood. Seems like a lot, but ten years of buying Macross toys has made my wallet fairly resistant to this kind of abuse. :|

yeah you're right and i think a lot of us have been conditioned to the point that $100-200 or whatever high price for figures is typical and normal which kind of sucks because if you think about it a lot of toys can actually be sold for cheaper.

anyway i picked up cybertronian megatron at target for 9.99. looks cool and could still kinda fit in with the classics figures. i'm convinced the target near me is on wave 2 and will have the upcoming figures available on the shelves.

also the people that have been saying that animated shockwave and skywarp are at marshalls and tj maxx are correct. went to marshalls and got animated shockwave for 12.99. no skywarp found but i don't even have starscream. what's cool is that tru had animated blitzwing, lugnut, and optimus for 12.99 a short while back too.

Anime Export are a safe store to order from. You should note their shipping policies tho. Japan post is privatised tho, so they tend to be more expensive than Hong Kong stores.

Robot Kingdom are the favorite as far as the Aussie TF community goes. They have it listed at US$160 which works out to US$207.23 to the USA by registered Air Mail.

So basically, yeah. You can expect to pay around the $200 mark regardless of where you order from.

Got Terradive and Darkmount today. I really like both of them, although the orange on Terradive is kind of hard on the eyes. Other than that he's got an interesting looking jet mode without too much of a mess on the underside (it's still a mess, but it's not a big hulking mass of robot). Terradive has a crazy amount of little moving parts for a deluxe but the transformation is unique and not too complicated.

Darkmount is my favorite Generations figure so far and I can't think of a single complaint with him. Looks awesome in both modes, tight joints, relatively simple transformation that manages to still be kind of clever, pickaxe of doom and the blue/red/copper color scheme looks gorgeous. Bonus points for being covered in Triforce pieces.

Got Terradive and Darkmount today. I really like both of them, although the orange on Terradive is kind of hard on the eyes. Other than that he's got an interesting looking jet mode without too much of a mess on the underside (it's still a mess, but it's not a big hulking mass of robot). Terradive has a crazy amount of little moving parts for a deluxe but the transformation is unique and not too complicated.

Darkmount is my favorite Generations figure so far and I can't think of a single complaint with him. Looks awesome in both modes, tight joints, relatively simple transformation that manages to still be kind of clever, pickaxe of doom and the blue/red/copper color scheme looks gorgeous. Bonus points for being covered in Triforce pieces.

I've been on the fence over both figures since they were first announced. Yes, the orange color on Terradive is annoying, but I really like the plane design. Eventually, I'll pick him up along with Jetblade when they're on sale.

If there's one thing my Classics/Universe/Henkei collection is missing, it's a Decepticon - and one to display against Peg. Darkmount looks menacing, but I'm kinda not sure he's on equal footing with Peg. Also, reading the history of Straxus (a Marvel-exclusive Decepticon, who ruled a fortress called Darkmount) makes me wish Hasbro made a new Deluxe Blaster figure.

Just in case anyone is wondering... yes, Leader Movie Starscream can go Gerwalk.

*Snip*

View more pictures here

Well I'll be damned. Now I'll need to buy one.

If there's one thing my Classics/Universe/Henkei collection is missing, it's a Decepticon - and one to display against Peg. Darkmount looks menacing, but I'm kinda not sure he's on equal footing with Peg.

Voyager Bludgeon is having fun crossing swords with him on my desk. A fair match I would think. Once that head upgrade gets released for Deluxe Bludgeon, it'll look a lot better.

Man, I'm having no luck finding anything new here. I ran into 3 MP Grimlocks, but that's it.

Voyager Bludgeon is having fun crossing swords with him on my desk. A fair match I would think. Once that head upgrade gets released for Deluxe Bludgeon, it'll look a lot better.

I was watching a video review of Voyager Bludgeon, and the reviewer pointed out that even though he's part of the ROTF lineup, he doesn't look like a Bayformer. So yeah, maybe I'll pick him up. Besides, the local hobby shop has him for under US$20.

There's also Banzaitron, but I'm not paying full price on him, even if his tank mode has better colors.

AmiAmi will list it soon I'm sure. I predict their preorder price to be around 14,000Yen. With the exchange rate being so crappy right now I'm hesitant to preorder from a Japanese site. Even at 14000 Yen once you add in EMS (a toy this size will be between 4000 and 5000 yen) and factor in the exchange rate it comes out to around $220.

I'm happy to say my predicion was wrong! AmiAmi proves their awesomeness yet again with a preorder price of 12300Y. I couldn't resist placing an order at that price. Hopefully when the time comes to pay the exchange rate will have improved a bit.

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english&vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=TOY-RBT-1265&template=default/product/e_display.html

I'm happy to say my predicion was wrong! AmiAmi proves their awesomeness yet again with a preorder price of 12300Y. I couldn't resist placing an order at that price. Hopefully when the time comes to pay the exchange rate will have improved a bit.

Do you have to pay ahead of time with them?

looks ok to me

I'm familiar with how Hot Rod looked in the movie (I've seen it enough times that I could probably recite all the dialogue from memory). In the movie, he had a gradual slope from bumper to bumper, with his front fenders flush with the hood. Most pics I've seen of the toy have very little slope from hood to cockpit, then a more pronounced slope from the cockpit to the rear, plus more rounded front fenders that give him a silhouette that reminds me of Wheelie.

I've been studying those Rodimus pics (slow night at work and I'm by myself with another 10 hours to kill.) Some observations: the lower legs form the front fenders of Rodimus Prime's uber-winnebago, while the shoulders form the front fenders of Hot Rod's car, so the transformation should be interesting from just that alone. I looked at the Rodimus/HR bot pics..the only difference I see is that Rodimus' legs are positioned a few millimeters lower at the hip. Supposedly there are two swappable faces, but I don't see a difference in the posted pics. From the animated pics, Hot Rod should have a more rounded face with few angles, and Rodimus' face is more angular and faceted, to give a more adult impression. I don't see much difference in the placement of his spoiler in these pics, either.

The articulation on this fig is impressive, to say the least, as a MP fig should be. While I don't see much difference in the bot modes, I think they nailed the vehicle modes pretty well. Hot Rod even has an interior...more than what I would have expected. Now he just needs to come with a little Daniel fig with his jetboard, and a fishing pole for Hot Rod.

One area I wish they'd taken some license is the trailer. The original was pretty boring, and it looks positively archaic next to Hot Rodimus, esp in terms of engineering. This would have been much cooler had they re-imagined it into a sort of rotating howitzer platform with a seat for Rodimus, with the base folding out to become support legs. I still have to wonder what about a space-winnebago struck the designers back then as being cool, esp for a young hero character. Maybe if he was covered in floral designs, had molded dreads, and a perma-doob hanging from his lips, and a Matrix reconfigured into a peace sign hanging on a chain, inciting his fellow Cybertronians to gather together until "all are one", there'd be some relevence to his alt mode. My friend had Rodimus back in the 80's, and even as a huge TF fan at 14, I remember thinking he was pretty crappy.

For me, Hot Rod in either mode is the more desirable option. That he can grow a couple millimeters and rock the space camper is just icing on the cake. My $.02

I still have to wonder what about a space-winnebago struck the designers back then as being cool, esp for a young hero character.

I'd guess they didn't want the new leader to be a sports car or a tractor trailer, so they decided to compromise and put a trailer on the sports car.

I agree with Mike---but even more so. As in, the car looks completely wrong to me. I note that Takara has yet to show a side-view of the car. When we see that, it should be obvious to everyone how off it is.

As for the trailer--it's missing the one thing I was hoping an MP version could provide--that it'd look like a single, whole vehicle--like a Winnebago! Not a truck hauling a camper--which is exactly what the G1 toy looked like, and how this one looks like. The two halves just don't integrate that well/seamlessly. HasTak has been combining vehicles for decades now, I know they know how to do it.

why is it off? Just because the figure doesnt look exactly like he did in the movie doesnt mean its off. None of the masterpiece TF's are 100% G1 faithful. The Masterpiece line will never be 100% tv/movie accurate...its meant to be the ultimate representation of a character in toy form.

I think Hot Rod looks damn good in all modes.

why is it off? Just because the figure doesnt look exactly like he did in the movie doesnt mean its off. None of the masterpiece TF's are 100% G1 faithful. The Masterpiece line will never be 100% tv/movie accurate...its meant to be the ultimate representation of a character in toy form.

I thought I already said.

I'm familiar with how Hot Rod looked in the movie (I've seen it enough times that I could probably recite all the dialogue from memory). In the movie, he had a gradual slope from bumper to bumper, with his front fenders flush with the hood. Most pics I've seen of the toy have very little slope from hood to cockpit, then a more pronounced slope from the cockpit to the rear, plus more rounded front fenders that give him a silhouette that reminds me of Wheelie.

I'm not asking for Hot Rod to be 100% accurate. I'm asking for Hot Rod to look like Hot Rod, not Wheelie with Hot Rod's paint and wing.

Looks like the back of Hot Rod's car mode is the wagon's front. Pretty ingenious in my opinion. Accurate or not, I think this is a really cool toy!