Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

WFC Prime is pretty cool, though a bit smaller than I expected. He totally has a "Gears of War" vibe to the way his bot mode stands, especially when you position it so he's holding his gun with two hands and leaning forward slightly. I'm slightly surprised they'd build this many small parts and joints into a [slightly smaller than] deluxe-sized figure, but I guess plastic must be improving.

No luck finding Bee or Peg yet, unfortunately.

Maybe the lull in TF's will allow me to shift my focus back to Valk collecting, I've been meaning to invest in a VF-11C for some time now.

Over the weekend, I picked up Battle Blades Optimus Prime. For a Voyager Class figure, he's tiny - just a hair taller than Deluxe Class figures. Also, he's considerably skinny. Still, this is a remarkably awesome figure. He has nearly the same amount of detail and articulation as the Leader Class movie Prime 2.0, but with features that the larger figure should've had (i.e. retractable hands, more adjustable shoulder armor plates). Also, the Matrix of Leadership is a nice touch to the figure.

The downsides are a skimpy paint application and more kibble than the Leader Class figure. While this one actually has the tool boxes painted silver, he's missing flames on the chest and inner leg panels, and the rear end is in plain red and black plastic with no silver paint apps. The rear end does not fold much in robot mode and becomes a large piece of kibble on the back. Nevertheless, it's a far cry from the front-end/backpack kibble that prevented me from buying Voyager 1.0 (a.k.a. Robo-Vision Prime, First Strike Prime, etc.).

Also, while having two guns is a nice touch, they interfere with the back assembly when not in use. Now, I don't have a Buster Prime for reference, but I think Hasbro should've learned from that figure's technique.

Anyway, if you haven't picked up this figure, you should - provided you have a good set of paints to keep you busy.

In contrast, I see a little kid getting this one and seeing how it has lights and sounds ("Look! It's laser light ups!"), firing missiles via a goofy bulky launcher ("Cool! It really shoots!"), pop out concealed weapons ("Wow, more guns!"), and a nutcracker jaw that opens and shuts when you pull a panel ("Umm... cool?").

I just can't see a figure with these types of kid-oriented gimmicks selling well with the people the Masterpiece line is targeted at.

Am I the only person that thought the "push to talk" button on the back of the head was the best part of Masterpiece Prime?

Yes? Okay, never mind then.

Am I the only person that thought the "push to talk" button on the back of the head was the best part of Masterpiece Prime?

Yes? Okay, never mind then.

Well, I dunno about "best", but it was the feature that made all my friends say "okay, now that's cool". :lol:

Good point, and I actually don't mind sound effects, or even lights if done well (my Art Asylum Enterprises can attest to that :lol:). It's more the shooting missile type stuff that makes me cringe.

I mean, I loved that as a kid. Anything with multiple launching missiles was a must buy, and the more the better.. but I really don't care for that type of feature on something I'd probably put on a display stand next to my MP Skywarp. I'd rather it has something looking semi-real, like the sidewinders that come with the older MP Seekers.

Speaking of stands though, do they plan to include one with it? :huh:

Over the weekend, I picked up Battle Blades Optimus Prime. For a Voyager Class figure, he's tiny - just a hair taller than Deluxe Class figures. Also, he's considerably skinny. Still, this is a remarkably awesome figure. He has nearly the same amount of detail and articulation as the Leader Class movie Prime 2.0, but with features that the larger figure should've had (i.e. retractable hands, more adjustable shoulder armor plates). Also, the Matrix of Leadership is a nice touch to the figure.

The downsides are a skimpy paint application and more kibble than the Leader Class figure. While this one actually has the tool boxes painted silver, he's missing flames on the chest and inner leg panels, and the rear end is in plain red and black plastic with no silver paint apps. The rear end does not fold much in robot mode and becomes a large piece of kibble on the back. Nevertheless, it's a far cry from the front-end/backpack kibble that prevented me from buying Voyager 1.0 (a.k.a. Robo-Vision Prime, First Strike Prime, etc.).

Also, while having two guns is a nice touch, they interfere with the back assembly when not in use. Now, I don't have a Buster Prime for reference, but I think Hasbro should've learned from that figure's technique.

Anyway, if you haven't picked up this figure, you should - provided you have a good set of paints to keep you busy.

Wait, where did you get yours?

However, that gimmick didn't "compromise" anything---not the head, not the robot mode articulation, and not the sculpt of vehicle mode---as opposed to most jet transformers, where most any gimmick adds significant belly kibble and thickness.

If you removed the electronics box out of Leader Jetfire, his jetmode would have half the mass it does. Could probably even tuck the legs totally away and inside the nacelles, as they should.

The problem with "Penntucky" is that I've really only got three local options for toys; Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us. I check my local ones multiple times a week when I hear toys I want are out, and if I can't find them there's a Kohl's and another Target in the next town over, then another Target and another TRU that I'll occasionally. If I'm really desperate, there's three other Walmarts and one K-Mart within a reasonable driving distance. And that's it.

So far, I've found Generations War for Cybertron Prime and WfC Bumblee, but none of the other Generations toys, no Hunt for Decepticons, and no Power Core Combiners.

Point-of-fact, I NEVER saw a RotF Voyager Mindwipe. Not once.

Whatever that store in Greenhills you've got is, A7, be glad you have it.

Point-of-fact, I NEVER saw a RotF Voyager Mindwipe. Not once.

Whatever that store in Greenhills you've got is, A7, be glad you have it.

Wow...it's really different where you are. Over here, every branch of TRU, Toy Kingdom, Kidz Station and ToyTown has Voyager Class Mindwipe and Bludgeon as shelf-warmers. Worse is that Leader Class Prime and Jetfire continue to collect dust (talk about overproduced). Weird thing is that even with the new Hunt for the Decepticons line, these stores are doing nothing to get the ROTF toys off the shelves. (In comparison, they marked all Animated toys on final closeout; Voyager figures at Deluxe prices and Leader figures and Supreme Rollout Prime at Voyager prices.) Hell, the ROTF scouts are selling for roughly US$2 more than the new HFTD Scouts.

The new TFs are hitting the stores here, and all I got was Seaspray and Legends Ravage. No Peg or Thrust yet, and no sign of the new Scouts either. Passed up on WFC Prime and Bumblebee and the new Hunt for the Decepticon deluxes. I finally got to see Leader Starscream, and his bot mode looks very imposing indeed. I ended up passing on him also, since his alt mode just doesn't do it for me.

Sorry, was out of town the past 48 hours, just now catching up--I haven't seen any TF news since Thurs.

::edit:: Ok, it's a reefer, can't really say more than that--I know tankers, not dry/van trailers. Has the headache rack been removed? It's REALLY not needed for a reefer. (the combination of headache rack plus tall stacks never made much sense----asides from the stacks, that was a log/pipe-carrying configuration)

Sorry, was out of town the past 48 hours, just now catching up--I haven't seen any TF news since Thurs.

::edit:: Ok, it's a reefer, can't really say more than that--I know tankers, not dry/van trailers. Has the headache rack been removed? It's REALLY not needed for a reefer. (the combination of headache rack plus tall stacks never made much sense----asides from the stacks, that was a log/pipe-carrying configuration)

Is there an English translation for that? :blink:

In short---Movie Prime has a few major parts/aspects which make very little sense for a real semi.

You mean besides the gaudy flames? :p

I'm not particularly surprised. But are you guys saying that the unnecessary parts/aspects are different from the previous two films?

As it turns out, this flatbed was used for practical special effects.

The headache rack doesn't make any sense, but it looks "cool" as his truck bling. Hell, his trailer is pretty blinging being largely shiny silver with blue lights.

Nice Bee collection. I picked up the new Deluxe Battle Blade Bee as well as the new Activators Bee this weekend. Both are great toys. I love the pseudo-SD look on Activators Bee and I was surprised by how much articulation his arms have. You can get some really good poses with him.

Battle Blade Bee is awesome. The transformation is more intuitive than I was expecting and I like that they once again incorporated the auto-morph on his legs, which is one of the few uses of auto-morph that I really like. While the fold-out cannon and ax are neat features, I didn't like how far the weapon pods stick out in bot mode so I took the arms apart (all you need is a screwdriver and thirty seconds) and removed both. A bonus is that he's even easier to transform without having to worry about the weapons being tucked correctly, and if you use a little imagination you can fold his hands so they look vaguely like seats in alt mode.

Edited by eriku

Around here it seems as if everything BUT Peg and Thrust have been released.

Has anyone spotted Human Alliance Jazz yet? It's supposed to be out now. Really looking forward to that one.

Battle Ops Bee :)*snip*

What do you think of the figure?

Around here it seems as if everything BUT Peg and Thrust have been released. Has anyone spotted Human Alliance Jazz yet? It's supposed to be out now. Really looking forward to that one.

I haven't..it isn't a widespread release just yet. Hope I can find him eventually...him and Mudflap.

What do you think of the figure?

Quick notes on this fig:

- Details are great

- Very good representation of movie Bee

- The battle mask sculpt is the best among all the Bee releases (Battle blades, Human Alliance etc)

- Not easy to pose him standing straight (It's either he's leaning forward or leaning back)

- Very minimal paint apps

- Limited right arm articulation (Although I knew this before buying)

- Bad QC, I was choosing from around 15 boxes all of which have issues with paint or scratched plastic (car hood) - Maybe I'm just picky

- The knees are extra tight (scary tight) I remember Frenzy Rumble's review and his unit had loose knees

IMG_8930.jpg

IMG_8938.jpg

Edited by len_d69