Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Thanks for posting this - went to my local Marshall's today and found Megatron, Overkill, and Dragstrip. Picked up the first two, as I bought Dragstrip from HTS.com last year. Awesome price for these TFs!!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Ooh, you found Overkill? That was the only one I couldn't find despite going to to two different stores.

Maybe it's a California/West Coast thing? I swung by Marhsall's today here in snowy PA, and the only Transformers they had were a handful of Universe Legends and a solitary Animated Lugnut.

I dunno, but do make sure to check every nook and cranny. I found Prime lying on top on top of oven rack in the kitchenware dept. Organization doesn't seem to be priority at the Marshalls I've been to. At its worst, Marshalls reminds me of an indoor flea market.

Like this?
I have yet to dig out my Takara MP seeker, but I'm almost positive that the hip kibble could be detached and reattached to the legs resulting in a similar look to that proto pic. This is obviously something Hasbro's MP Skywarp lacks .

Decided to evil bay some longer/replacement smokestacks for my US 20th Prime rather than buy a Takara (which just seemed wasteful). For the most part, very satisfied. The "transplant" was very easy. Looking at the closeup pics on seibertron, doesn't have that bevelled edge or the hole (i could def fix the latter with my dremel), but thinking I'm not going to bother since it's "good enough." Just as springy and my Prime looks complete standing next to Jetfire aka 1/48 Hikaru 1S. :)

I painted this up for a buddy of mine who wanted a "masterpiece" Jetfire. ^_^

Looks nice-good job! Did you paint the markings on the feet as well or are they decals?

Bumblebee looks like the best out of the set, it doesn't seem like a real improment to the rest. And Bulkhead 's new color is a tad disturbing.

Yeah, Bulkhead's color doesn't fit his matte-colored military vehicle alt mode at all. I might get Ratchet if he's white instead of the grey-ish color with the domestic release.

Picked up a "reproduction" G1 Shockwave at Frank & Sons today ... what a nice piece.

:)

Nice find! Shockwave was one of the better G1 toys, with pretty good articulation at the time.

I'm pleased that I finally found Bludgeon today at Walmart after looking yesterday for him at Target and Toys R' Us.

EDIT: While not perfect, Bludgeon is all kinds of awesome. The transformation is pretty good, with only a little back kibble, and he's pretty poseable. Snapping his weapons into his fists reminds me of my old Playmates Ninja Turtle figures. Playing with Bludgeon is a little bittersweet, though, because in the back of mind mind I keep thinking how much more awesome Galvatron would have been if they'd made him at least a Voyager with some ratcheting joints.

Hey Hasbro, how about this... if it turns into a tank, its gotta be a Voyager or larger from now on. Deluxe tanks (Classics/Universe Megatron and Galvatron, or movie Brawl) don't work so well.

Edited by mikeszekely

I don't usually buy TFs at all, I think I have had a total of maybe 3 over my entire life.. but when I saw MP Skywarp finally hit the shelves of my local Walmart, I couldn't pass it up. I had to make an exception for one of the very few relatively kibble free TF jets. And it was very much worth it. Not perfect, but for something I can drive to the other side of town and pick up, I have a hard time not buying a couple more for customizing. Looks very nice next to my Yammies. :)

Now the question is whether they'll make a Ramjet later on. Would probably be a pretty simple custom actually.. If done right, you could eliminate the hip panels entirely, and just have the big delta wing in one large folding section, but you'd have to move the pivot point.. put it in the same place, and those delta wings would pop way over his head. Might be possible for a custom, but you'd need an entirely new wing mechanism.

I have yet to dig out my Takara MP seeker, but I'm almost positive that the hip kibble could be detached and reattached to the legs resulting in a similar look to that proto pic. This is obviously something Hasbro's MP Skywarp lacks .

After getting this, I looked through this thread, and there were a couple of posts about custom jobs done. The best one I saw cut the hip plates into two pieces. The part with the tails they attached on a sliding joint to the lower legs, and the forward section they just permanently glued to the underside of the wing plates. It looked very good.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't keep the original design, but I think understand why it was changed, even if it did mean adding FAST packs to the normal F-15C design. That forward section ahead of the wing would've been pretty fragile I think, and it dipped low enough to cause leg posing problems as well.

I'm up in the air about the leg panels really.. I'm not a big TF purist, so I'm happy to have a nicely transforming plane that looks like it could fly, not like a plane they glued a robot to underneath, and hoped no one would see. <_< I do like the customized look, so I might buy a second and try that later though.

On the other hand, if it weren't for the leg panels, this'd probably never work. :D

skywarpgerwalk2.jpg

skywarpgerwalk1.jpg

The new trailer for Transformers: War for Cybertron is up. It looks pretty nifty actually, despite no gameplay being shown. Though Megatron's voice is probably the worst version ever. They should at least bring back Hugo Weaving if Welker isn't on board. At least they got Peter Cullen.

Find it here: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/54928/t...iler_10710.html

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

I had a good chuckle when I saw the pictures of the upcoming Japanese TF: Animated. It's like the entire cast of Animated got killed and came back as Transformers ghost :)

Because...as we all know - when a robot dies, it turns black. And later, it comes back as a ghost in its' original color, albeit see-through with a strange glowing tint ! :lol:

Pete

I don't usually buy TFs at all, I think I have had a total of maybe 3 over my entire life.. but when I saw MP Skywarp finally hit the shelves of my local Walmart, I couldn't pass it up. I had to make an exception for one of the very few relatively kibble free TF jets. And it was very much worth it. Not perfect, but for something I can drive to the other side of town and pick up, I have a hard time not buying a couple more for customizing. Looks very nice next to my Yammies. :)

Now the question is whether they'll make a Ramjet later on. Would probably be a pretty simple custom actually.. If done right, you could eliminate the hip panels entirely, and just have the big delta wing in one large folding section, but you'd have to move the pivot point.. put it in the same place, and those delta wings would pop way over his head. Might be possible for a custom, but you'd need an entirely new wing mechanism.

After getting this, I looked through this thread, and there were a couple of posts about custom jobs done. The best one I saw cut the hip plates into two pieces. The part with the tails they attached on a sliding joint to the lower legs, and the forward section they just permanently glued to the underside of the wing plates. It looked very good.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't keep the original design, but I think understand why it was changed, even if it did mean adding FAST packs to the normal F-15C design. That forward section ahead of the wing would've been pretty fragile I think, and it dipped low enough to cause leg posing problems as well.

I'm up in the air about the leg panels really.. I'm not a big TF purist, so I'm happy to have a nicely transforming plane that looks like it could fly, not like a plane they glued a robot to underneath, and hoped no one would see. <_< I do like the customized look, so I might buy a second and try that later though.

On the other hand, if it weren't for the leg panels, this'd probably never work. :D

skywarpgerwalk2.jpg

skywarpgerwalk1.jpg

um NO! God No

I agree with NuGundam II ...besides, Transformers have no need for Gerwalk modes....wouldn't they be like...painful for them? They'd be in mid transformation and feel really wierd. It's kind of a senseless mixing of the mediums...

It's like...if I took my Gundams and twisted them around and said "hey look! It's a jet!" or "hey look! It's a truck!" and you guys would all say "uuugly!!" and rightly so...

No sense making Transformers have Gerwalk modes...IMO...although people seem to like doing it all the time :huh:

Oh well ! :)

Pete

I agree with NuGundam II ...besides, Transformers have no need for Gerwalk modes....wouldn't they be like...painful for them? They'd be in mid transformation and feel really wierd. It's kind of a senseless mixing of the mediums...

It's like...if I took my Gundams and twisted them around and said "hey look! It's a jet!" or "hey look! It's a truck!" and you guys would all say "uuugly!!" and rightly so...

No sense making Transformers have Gerwalk modes...IMO...although people seem to like doing it all the time :huh:

Oh well ! :)

Pete

Wing Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam W reference here) had a secondary mode somewhat like a G.E.R.W.A.L.K., but the thing looked more like a raptor. I don't know if the Wing Zero Gundam can transform, since it's been so long since I've seen the show (sadly cut, I'm afraid).

Wing Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam W reference here) had a secondary mode somewhat like a G.E.R.W.A.L.K., but the thing looked more like a raptor

:huh:

Are you sure you're talking about Wing Gundam - or maybe you're thinking about one of the mobile suits from Gundam Wing? There were a lot of them, and most of them had alternate modes.

Wing Gundam's alternate mode was that of a bird/plane.

As for Wing Zero - no. He can't transform :)

Pete

Plenty of Mobile Suits had alt modes. Most of them looked doofy in their alt mode (ala Wing Gundam), and some of them looked doofy in their MS mode (Gaza-C). Off the top of my head, Zeta Gundam is the only one that really pulled off both modes. Kyrios and Arios comes close.