Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

I think they're ok. The Mice I don't want because I don't use a mouse - just a touch pad on my laptop. Blaster is cool too.

But again..G1...

although...

then again...

Guess what the ONE non-G1 Transformer I have and find I can't get rid of is?....

MP3 Soundwave!

Because...well... he actually functions as an MP3 and I use him a lot... well - less now that I have a car and can listen to CDs on my car system... but before I had a car, when I went everywhere by bus and tram and the like- Soundwave was always with me to give me some nice Fire Bomber tunes to listen to! :)

So...

While I don't find myself needing these particular devices - I think the line in general has promise because abstracting from the figure - the provision of practical items is a good idea.

Even a G1 purist like me can't find a good reason to sell off my MP3 Soundwave...

Pete

With a Seeker mold already in existence? I doubt it'll take that long. :p

Let's see...

Optimus Prime, Naked Ultra Magnus, Megatron, Grimlock, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker... 7 already, and the seeker mold has 3 more repaints to go!

There is also the upcoming black Prime repaint and a 'comic book' Grimlock repaint, so that's 9 already. :lol:

Also...some might count the Prime with trailer as a separate entry, so that makes 10! :D

Edited by eriku

Do tell.

One time, while transforming Ironhide, the slot connecting the windshield/roof to the rest of the figure snapped off. I tried hobby glue to set it back together, but it didn't work. Then I went for super glue. Unfortunately, the newly-opened tube overflowed by itself. The windshield is fine, but the neck assembly is permanently set. :angry:

Yes, superglue does have to ability to "expand" when first opened. (as well as keep coming long after you stopped squeezing). Superglue in a bottle is better, but still won't eliminate that tendency. (plus, avoid using the glue directly--transfer it to a toothpick, then apply with toothpick)

With a Seeker mold already in existence? I doubt it'll take that long. :p

Let's see...

Optimus Prime, Naked Ultra Magnus, Megatron, Grimlock, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker... 7 already, and the seeker mold has 3 more repaints to go!

I think they're kinda awesome, but grossly overpriced.

The flash drives mainly, since they're almost PRACTICAL(I would TOTALLY buy Ravage if he made it out at something resembling a realistic price).

Blaster shoulda been an MP3 player. And a better one than Soundwave was.

With CompactFlash memory cards, so there's actually room to make "tape bots" out of dummy cards.

He looks good, though. But as a USB hub, he'd probably be snared in wiring.

The mice are failures. Incredibly ugly, and a wired peripheral that you aren't likely to want to remove from your PC(even if the USB cable DOES detach).

And their names are Thrust, Ramjet, and Dirge. The only thing about those three that is the same as the original seekers is the F-15 fuselage. Each figure has different wings, and the nosecone actually forms the head for all three figures.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I dunno, that new Dirge looks pretty wretched to me. The entire cockpit/nosecone on one arm, the flipper feet, the back end of the plane hanging off his back...all that wrapped up in one of the most nauseating color schemes I've ever seen on a TF...just not my thing. Jet mode looks good though (aside from the colors).

Uh what about the Human Alliance figs there guy? Those are awesome too.

For one, I don't really count those in the ROTF standard line. Second, Bumblebee rocks. Sideswipe blows. Skids, I don't know, unless I get it dirt cheap I'll pass. Ugly design, ugly car.

One time, while transforming Ironhide, the slot connecting the windshield/roof to the rest of the figure snapped off. I tried hobby glue to set it back together, but it didn't work. Then I went for super glue. Unfortunately, the newly-opened tube overflowed by itself. The windshield is fine, but the neck assembly is permanently set. :angry:

You are not the only one, that happened to... :(

That is why i brought another 2 ( 1 that i added a bit to, hopefully to reinforce that window connection area and 1 to keep in box ) B))

Just bought Legends class Sideways.

In general, I really enjoy the fun factor of the legends figures, but was not expecting much from this one, as I did not like the deluxe of Sideways at all.

I have to say, I was really surprised by this one. The figure is very cool, with more going on in the transformation than one would expect from a legends class figure. I like it a lot more than deluxe Sideways, and more than a good few other legends figures.

Just wondering aloud...should I sell off my entire G1 collection and reduce my TF collection to zero?

Here's the pros and cons running round my head:

Pros:

1. Completely not interested in Transformers any more. Seriously.

2. Feel zero interest in their story or the characters.

3. Tons of better stuff (anime) out there that interests me.

4. Did I mention I'm totally not interested in Transformers any more?

Cons:

1. What if I wake up later and feel bad, because my "disinterest" was just a passing phase?

2. I've been interested in Transformers - particularly G1 and the Marvel comics since I was 4. That's 26 years now. Is it really possible to loose interest in something after 26 years, or am I just having a bad day?

3. I finally have a large G1 collection just like I always dreamed of when I was a kid. Wouldn't getting rid of it be bad for me?

4. I like lots of the characters from Transformers - don't I?...

Hm...

But seriously... it's hard for me to be enthusiastic about this anymore... And I'm not even talking about the movie or anything after G1...I'm talking about even G1 itself :o ....

I re-read my old comics and the stories are just so childish...even the "good" ones... and it doesn't have any of the key elements of a super robot show - no boobs, no interesting human mecha pilots, no fantastical stuff...

I dunno. I know that the TFs themselves are supposed to be interesting living robots...but all of them are antromorphosized so radically that they might as well be people... it's like...human stories told with machines... And no - alien machines like in the movie don't do it for me either.

Am I just whining?

Pete

Just wondering aloud...should I sell off my entire G1 collection and reduce my TF collection to zero?

Here's the pros and cons running round my head:

Pros:

1. Completely not interested in Transformers any more. Seriously.

2. Feel zero interest in their story or the characters.

3. Tons of better stuff (anime) out there that interests me.

4. Did I mention I'm totally not interested in Transformers any more?

Cons:

1. What if I wake up later and feel bad, because my "disinterest" was just a passing phase?

2. I've been interested in Transformers - particularly G1 and the Marvel comics since I was 4. That's 26 years now. Is it really possible to loose interest in something after 26 years, or am I just having a bad day?

3. I finally have a large G1 collection just like I always dreamed of when I was a kid. Wouldn't getting rid of it be bad for me?

4. I like lots of the characters from Transformers - don't I?...

Hm...

But seriously... it's hard for me to be enthusiastic about this anymore... And I'm not even talking about the movie or anything after G1...I'm talking about even G1 itself :o ....

I re-read my old comics and the stories are just so childish...even the "good" ones... and it doesn't have any of the key elements of a super robot show - no boobs, no interesting human mecha pilots, no fantastical stuff...

I dunno. I know that the TFs themselves are supposed to be interesting living robots...but all of them are antromorphosized so radically that they might as well be people... it's like...human stories told with machines... And no - alien machines like in the movie don't do it for me either.

Am I just whining?

Pete

Why don't you sit on it for about a month before you do anything like that. It does represent a large portion of your life... And if you were going to sell them off, do it here, where you know they'll be getting good homes.

Yeah...maybe you're right - but this is the first time in my life when I've actually had these thoughts at all.. I mean...seriously...never crossed my mind earlier...ever... Not even for a second - to get rid of all of them... And I have some pretty nice stuff too...all MIB..like Predaking - complete...amongst other things...

But the thing is - I feel like a victim of the dark ages, also known as the XXth century, pre-internet. See - one of the big reasons I was so into Transformers was that there wasn't much else that was cool out there. Now, when compared with all the anime I've started to watch it's like...Transformers feels like the bottom of the barrel to me. Like it isn't even entertaining any more... I've tried watching Victory...I made it 10 episodes in..and it's just...ultimately it's painful. Simon Furman did semi-nice things with Transformers - but if you reeeaaallly take a hard look at it - all he did was use famous human stories as the back drop for Transformers stories. Bogart's Maltese Falcon, Alien... G2 was somewhat interesting but...

In the end... the stories don't go anywhere...it's always the same ol' same ol' being rehashed and redone.

That's one side of it.

There's more.

I've noticed a trend insofar as Japanese anime and merchandise goes. Other than Gundam, where there are zillions of mobile suites, the vast majority of Japanese anime seems to only get a few figures and mecha made for the show in question - usually the hero mecha and that's it. It's really rare to get anything but the hero mecha. Also - the hero mecha is usually ONE and it is the focus of zillions of episodes of a series and OVAs.

This is actually pretty cool. I rather enjoy the fact that NGE doesn't give us a zillion variations of EVA running around. As for Gundam - the fact that they're model kits makes it ok... not that you have to "collect them all" - but .... heck it's just fun to build them. Macross has only a few valkyrie (comparatively speaking), and so a company like Yamato can focus on making them really really well.

Transformers...Transformers is HUGE. But there's just so much...too much... I dunno. There are certain characters I like -Swindle, Ratbat for instance...some others..but...overall...I just find ALL of the stories not interesting when compared to anime.

I've noticed quite a few people on these boards who just don't have any Transformers and instead have a big collection of anime stuff. Life without Transformers is possible.

At worse, I could keep one - a token TF?... Like Optimus Prime?... but...nah...No point. If they go they all gotta go.

I guess I just no longer feel Transformers to be a worthwhile endeavor. The stories are sub-par, the toys are all lacking in some big way - no matter whether vintage or modern and I certainly haven't liked where the franchise has been heading ever since... well... ever since they cancelled G2 really.

After G2 it was one dissapointment after another, with BW being a kind of fun in between...First Dreamwave - boo. Then the terrible Unicron trilogy which just killed it for me... Animated really wasn't helpful... I think Animated was only "great" because it had lots of homages and it wasn't the Unicron trilogy...

Beats me...

I downloaded More than Meets the eye recently hoping to rekindle some kind of fire and it was just like...no. This is boring. Why are Wheeljack and Rumble standing two feet away from eachother firing lasers and not hitting eachother?.... Why do all the humans look so generic?

Meanwhile I download OLD anime - not even talking about new anime - but OLD stuff like Space Runaway Ideon or heck...EVEN Getter Robo...and it's great.

And I really really like how each anime focuses on just one or two giant robots instead of having millions of them running around, and how there are actually people with decent character designs and write ups...

Beats me. Maybe I am having a bad day?

Pete

Well, like I said, it's a major change, and it's something that needs some careful thought. Like you said, what if you were to change your mind? That Predaking you mentioned, is not going to be cheap to replace (reissue or original), for example.

There's also transformers in your collection that may have strong personal ties to you. For example, I would never part with my Hot Spot, because I got it from my father, and it was a major part of my child hood. Yes he's all beaten up, missing most of his parts, but that doesn't matter to me. Same thing with Sandstorm... Although, I stupidly lent it out to a kid who I thought was my "friend", and he never returned it to me...

Again, I'm going to stress... Give it some MAJOR thought, before you pull the trigger.

I went through the same thing but with the Gundam series, I just got tired of the same bs over and over and over and the endless MS repaints and designs. I didnt end up selling my stuff but packed it up for the day that maybe Gundam will have an original idea once again. The only good transformers are G1 transformers and compared to other anime of the time the story is lacking (as we all know it wasnt about the story but more about selling toys). If you have no more interest like VF-19 says give it a month or two, if you still feel no love towards anything transformers sell em all.

Edited by dizman

I gave up caring about new fiction for TFs a looong time ago, and have become content to enjoy the existing fiction and appreciate the toys, for the most part, solely on their merits as toys, something which the bulk of them excel at, and that alone gives me enough enjoyment to keep up the TF-dom. I'd say give it some time, and figure out why exactly you love(d) the toys and collecting so. :)

Edited by promethuem5

There's also transformers in your collection that may have strong personal ties to you.

I'm sure my once again apparently ex-girlfriend would be mad at me - if she ends up being my girlfriend again - if I sold off the MIB God Ginrai she got me...

I went through the same thing but with the Gundam series, I just got tired of the same bs over and over and over and the endless MS repaints and designs. I didnt end up selling my stuff but packed it up for the day that maybe Gundam will have an original idea once again.

Thankfully, I won't be having that experience. Of what I've sampled from Gundam, the only thing I'm inclined to stomach and enjoy is the original MSG and Turn-A-Gundam. Turn-A-Gundam is actually a great Gundam series from a collecting point of view, because in a sense, you can just pick and chose Mobile Suits from any series or Era that you happen to like and incorporate them into your Turn-A-Gundam collection. Even if they weren't featured in the Turn-A-Gundam anime...who's to say they aren't buried somewhere in the Mountain Cycle? :)

I'm certainly in no rush, however, to collect "all" the Mobile Suits from any particular Gundam anime.

I gave up caring about new fiction for TFs a looong time ago

I guess this is really the crux of the problem. I'm a fiction guy. I like stories and character arcs behind my toys. If the story is great, I could care less about the toy being super poseable and advanced or not. Take Nightbeat - if I ever manage to come across an MIB Nightbeat and actually have the money to buy it...scoop!...he'll be mine. The toy sucks. It looks like a precursor to Hasbro's Playschool TF line... but the character is so endearing...based mainly on Matrix Quest.

I think what I need to do is starting writing some fanfiction or reading some fanfiction from the G1 universe. I've been following the "official" medium for way too long now and it's just been dissapointment after dissapointment.

I slept on it and concluded that it would be dumb to sell off my G1 collection.

The key is to just stick to collecting reissues. Those come out like once every two months or so anyways so it's not like it'll destroy me financially. The only thing to resist is the "Man..they'll never reissue character X so I better buy it off ebay" temptation.... kind of like with Nightbeat. I've resisted. Many a times have I wanted to get him...but no. Reissues is all. I like the boxes and I like having them completely mint factory fresh. Do I take them out and play with them? You bet! Stickers and all. But I just don't really want non reissues vintage ones...

Besides - I kind of like getting "surprised" by what is reissued every once in a while. Now they're on their cassette kick... but I wonder what'll be next? I mean - will they give us ALL the cassettes? Will there be a cassette adventure four with the cassette combiners? Or will things veer off into combiner sets like Bruticus?

It's kind of fun playing "guess" with Takara Tomy encore :)

Pete

Just happened to stumble across the last HA Bumblebee figure at my local target and I impulsively bought it. And well being late in the game I'm glad I did. One of the main things that blew me away on this piece was the quality with near perfect paint, all around tight joints, good fit, sweet detail. I have very high hopes for the other releases in this series.

Just happened to stumble across the last HA Bumblebee figure at my local target and I impulsively bought it. And well being late in the game I'm glad I did. One of the main things that blew me away on this piece was the quality with near perfect paint, all around tight joints, good fit, sweet detail. I have very high hopes for the other releases in this series.
Sideswipe is good, not as good as Bumblebee but worth picking up nonetheless. HA Bumblebee is the best movie Bumblebee I have ever bought and the best ROTF toy IMHO so far.

I've heard that Skids is actually better, and I look forward to buying him a lot. The one I anticipate most(that is unreleased so far) is Barricade, though I like the TF1 figure, I always felt he deserved a better figure