Macross General SCOOPUDA thread

azrael

• 3 weeks later...

It really isn't AI, it's just a bunch of upscale and filtering scripts. It really does a disservice to the animation. The original film scan has all the detail you're gonna get out of it. Any amount of filtering you're either removing detail or pulling it out of your ass, both of which are detrimental to the look.

15 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

It really isn't AI, it's just a bunch of upscale and filtering scripts. It really does a disservice to the animation. The original film scan has all the detail you're gonna get out of it. Any amount of filtering you're either removing detail or pulling it out of your ass, both of which are detrimental to the look.

Hmm I seem to catching more details in the 4k version. Especially details in the shadow areas and some highlights seem more controlled.

Not saying its superior to the original, as I would be the last person to want to upscale everything.

To me, art needs to be appreciated as its created not improved.

Still, am not denying that this so called 4k version looks great to me, but i think definitely it has to be seen with a HD capable monitor/TV. 

Tech does play a role here.

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2020 at 11:18 AM, Sanity is Optional said:

Personally I prefer the various series with music by Yoko Kanno (Plus, Frontier).

7 wasn't bad, and would probably rate higher if I hadn't marathoned it listening to Planet Dance over and over and over and over and over.

Delta, the music was Jpop, and decent Jpop (as far as I could tell), but it just never meshed with the action on screen the way Frontier and Plus did.

The series could be condensed to 1 season and it would have been much better rather than  stretching it out to flog the music for merchandizing...

Edited by Zinjo

6 hours ago, Zinjo said:

The series could be condensed to 1 season and it would have been much better rather than  stretching it out to flog the music for merchandizing...

That's pretty much why I purchased the first movie, since it did a pretty good job of that. :p  Some of the music was pretty okay, but Frontier set an almost impossible standard for it to meet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 7:34 AM, twich said:

That looks way different, but kinda YF-21/vf-4/vf-14/variable glaug vibe going for it

Yeah,  definitely looks like a next gen AI drone with a total VF-4 vibe. 

Some fan service for the VF-4 fans out there....

The cockpit reminds of the Tin Man cockpit from "Stealth"

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Bolt said:

If anyone was wondering how popular Frontier still is.. A new Macross Frontier key visual, with sound, has been revealed. Not a teaser. Titled Labyrinth Of Time. To be double billed with the new Delta movie..

I doubt anyone was unclear but more importantly that news dropped a couple weeks back and was linked above a couple times.

It's only known it's a short ahead of the Delta movie. I imagine like the shorts with Pixar movies.

On 3/13/2021 at 12:01 PM, Bolt said:

If anyone was wondering how popular Frontier still is.. A new Macross Frontier key visual, with sound, has been revealed. Not a teaser. Titled Labyrinth Of Time. To be double billed with the new Delta movie..

You just replied this back in Feb (below) after Tochiro posted Frontier's Labyrinth of Time news link. :rolleyes:

On 2/6/2021 at 10:08 AM, Bolt said:

More Frontier!:yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Via Shoji Kawamori's twitter:

https://macross.jp/news/?id=1442

---------------------------

Bigwest Begins Global Release of Animation “Macross” Series from April 9

Bigwest Co., Ltd. has announced the release of all works that are part of the “Macross” franchise made after 1987 to a worldwide audience from April 9, 2021. This not only includes the “Macross Delta” film currently in production, but all new material that follows it as well. This is not limited to anime titles, but also includes games, toys, live performances and other content and merchandising as well. The company has prepared an official YouTube channel as well as a Twitter account for its fans.

Twitter::@MACROSS_BIGWEST
YouTube:MACROSS ch
★“The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012” Streaming for Limited Time★
(※For outside of Japan only)

Bigwest has messages from members of the main creative staff behind “Macross,” Mr. Shoji Kawamori and Mr. Haruhiko Mikimoto, that the company would like to share with fans.

Shoji Kawamori:
For creators like me, our work only comes to life for when it is viewed by people.
It seems that the time has just started to move, after years and years of stillness.
I’d like to express my sincere gratitude to all the people involved who have helped bring Macross to the world.
Last but not least, I am deeply thankful for all the support and understanding from the fans around the world.
Together, aiming for further freedom, and a brand new deculture.
TO THE WORLD, TO THE GALAXY, Listen to our MACROSS song!!!!!!

Haruhiko Mikimoto:
Back when I was living in uncertainty, unsure whether or not I should become a professional creator or not, Studio Nue invited me to participate in their project and while I’m sure I caused some consternation for them, I was a member of the original creative team for the project that eventually was realized as Super Dimension Fortress Macross.
I was hesitant about making a career out of this field, but the Macross franchise was instrumental in compelling me hard to enter into this field of work that I do today, and for that it is a very special title to me.
On a personal level, I was frustrated not only over the fact that the global reach of the anime titles were impeded, but so too were all the production design sheets, the illustrations and the comics that were created through the involvement of many people.
I am very happy to hear that the situation has been sorted out enough that audiences around the world would be able to fully access all this material.
I humbly ask fans to please celebrate not only the anime titles that continue to evolve and change with each new series, but also support other material that is created to help promote the core titles, such as illustrations and comics, all of which are realized through the hard work on the part of myself and other creators!!

• 1 month later...

https://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye4274687.html

22日午後、神奈川県横須賀市の木造住宅で火事があり、夫婦が病院に運ばれましたが、60歳の妻が死亡しました。

午後3時すぎ、横須賀市佐野町で「裏の家が燃えている」と通報がありました。ポンプ車など12台が駆け付け、火はおよそ2時間後に消し止められましたが、木造平屋建ての住宅が半焼しました。

警察によりますと、この家には夫婦2人が住んでいて、渡辺智子さん(60)が助け出され病院に搬送されましたが、その後死亡が確認されました。71歳の夫は自力で逃げましたが、煙を吸うなどしていて病院に運ばれました。

台所付近の火が激しかったということで、警察が出火の原因を詳しく調べています。

On the afternoon of the 22nd, a fire broke out in a wooden house in Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture, and the couple were taken to the hospital, but their 60-year-old wife died.  

After 3:00 pm, there was a report in Sano-cho, Yokosuka City that the back house was on fire. Twelve pump cars and other vehicles rushed in and the fire was extinguished about two hours later, but the wooden one-story house was half-burnt.  

According to police, two couples lived in this house, and Tomoko Watanabe (60) was rescued and taken to the hospital, but her death was confirmed afterwards. Her 71-year-old husband escaped on her own, but she was taken to the hospital because she was smoking.  

The fire near the kitchen was fierce, so the police are investigating the cause of the fire in detail.

49 minutes ago, twich said:

Forgive my ignorance, and this is very sad, but what does this mean? Not trying to be insensitive….

It was originally posted by @Kenzyuzou in the Mecha Fun Time thread. And I only reposted it here along with the link content from the Twitter post. There’s a fire broke out from Miyatake’s place. I’m not 100% sure if it’s Miyatake’s wife or Watanabe’s who died later in the hospital. :( 

7 hours ago, twich said:

Forgive my ignorance, and this is very sad, but what does this mean? Not trying to be insensitive….

This tweet is from Studio Nue cofounder Kimiyoshi Takekawa, better known by the pen name Haruka Takachiho as the creator of Crusher Joe and Dirty Pair.

He's informing people that the Mr. and Mrs. Watanabe in the TBS article are Kazutaka Miyatake and his wife.  

From the news article itself, it appears there was a house fire that started in the kitchen of their home.  Mr. Miyatake was able to escape the burning house and was hospitalized to be treated for smoke inhalation, but is expected to recover.  His wife was unable to escape the housefire and was confirmed by the hospital to have passed away. :(

Looks like it was Miyatake's wife who died in the fire. This link was posted by @mikeszekely in the Anime thread.

https://kotaku.com/macross-designer-hospitalized-after-tragic-house-fire-1846962331

Earlier today, there were Japanese news reports of a single-story wooden house catching fire in Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture. According to anime maker Studio Nue, the house’s inhabitants were Kazutaka Miyatake and his wife Tomoko.  

Kazutaka Miyatake created mechanical designs for some of the most iconic anime ever, including Space Battleship Yamato, Macross, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, and more. He is a co-founder of Studio Nue, the studio responsible for the Macross franchise.  

According to TBS, the fire broke out on the afternoon of May 22, with 12 fire and rescue vehicles arriving on the scene. It took around two hours to put out the blaze, which was most intense around the kitchen, and the cause is still being investigated. A 60-year-old woman, named Tomoko Watanabe, was rescued from the house and rushed to the hospital, where she later died. Her 71-year-old husband was able to escape but ended up in the hospital for smoke inhalation.