Macross General SCOOPUDA thread

azrael

• 3 weeks later...

Wooooot! Wait. What’s the difference between this and the previous designer notes book?

The pics in the amazon site look more...sketchy?

thats a lot of pages, I thk the designer notes version was abt 270 pages...

Edited by seti88

I would hope it is an update to the last Kawamori Macross "design" book....

s-l640.jpg

...which covered 1982-2001 (SDFM TV - M3)....

I think the difference is that it will contain more than just B/W lineart like the similarly titled Macross Variable Fighter Designers Note....

714zoXxxjwL._SR500,500_.jpg

The Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works book has lineart and color illustrations of many of the conceptual designs for each of his VF's...in addition, there is now 20 some years of these type of illustrations to catch up on that have not been collected in one book since its release.  There have been some images published in recent books like the companion books for several of his exhibits, but one new all-encompassing book collecting them all since 1982 to the present will be amazing.  This and the upcoming Mikimoto Macross Character Design book will be must-haves for any Macross Book Collector.....hopefully the Kawamori book won't be constantly delayed like the Mikimoto book has been.....we might get simultaneous releases!

Sadly, Amazon.jp has once again decided not to make this book available for overseas shipping so I will need to order somewhere else.

Hobby Japan Vintage Vol.4 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10708711

https://www.hlj.com/hobby-japan-vintage-vol-4-hbj62287

Sounds like a good book for anyone into vintage Macross and specifically the old kits from Imai/Arii

Not available via Amazon.jp.....it is the 3rd Macross Book release in a row that is not available for overseas shipping...and this started before Covid19 with the MasterFiles Focker Special PO....wonder why?

5 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Is that channel completely region locked though? Shows zero videos on my end :\

Same, you'll have to use a VPN to see anything. Might be to keep HG from firing copyright strikes on the channel.

Great Mechanics G 2020 Summer

• no Macross content

Great Mechanics G 2020 Spring

The article indicates that he is the chief creative officer, and was apparently heavily involved in the creation of the space centre section—aside from a series of images showing the progression of a futuristic space port from his initial concept artwork to some of the finished miniatures, there is also concept artwork for a transformable shuttle on a Space X "Starship 1" inspired booster along with the finished shuttle model (unclear if the transformable shuttle idea is part of the finished model).

This link has most of the images in the article: https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000012.000047627.html

Additional images:

The transformable "shuttle":

23_o.jpg

Man, I love my Macross Design Works book, and have oft lamented not having a follow-on to cover the designs since 2001. Hopefully, some of the other Japanese e-tailers will have it available for international shipping. Like so much Macross merch, I'm guessing this'll be elusive for anyone outside of Japan.

Not that it matters, and I know the Macross Design Works didn't have any, but has Kawamori-san ever included pics of his LEGO sketch models in any of his Macross design books?  LEGO has been a lifelong hobby for me, so from a personal perspective, it'd be neat if those pics were included. His sketch models have become an important part of his design process when figuring out the transformation mechanics of new valks, and I think it'd be fantastic if he included pics of those along with his artwork.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 2:07 AM, Tochiro said:

The new official Macross YouTube channel is now open! The channel combines several previous ones while also adding new regular content. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKeM8HXpwR0qc0RtH0GKyMg

I’m assuming that all of the series are being uploaded there, but I just found out about YouTube’s community contributions option which is being phased out in September.  Are they allowing people to add captions to their videos, especially in other languages?

• 3 weeks later...

A kinda Love Live/Macross crossover happened ;)

Two Love Live Nijigasaki seiyuu, Chiemi (Rina Tennoji) and Kaorin (Shizuku Osaka), recorded a drunk karaoke cover of Lion.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:23 PM, Saruta said:

A kinda Love Live/Macross crossover happened ;)

Two Love Live Nijigasaki seiyuu, Chiemi (Rina Tennoji) and Kaorin (Shizuku Osaka), recorded a drunk karaoke cover of Lion.

So here's my "how I get my Macross card revoked" confession.  I never liked the music from Frontier. In that way, Delta was a much, much kinder series to me.

BUT! That right there was well done.  I'm impressed, I mean, I know their voice actors and singers, but I almost like that rendition better than the original.

That was very entertaining. Thanks for posting that @Saruta  

2 hours ago, Mazinger said:

So here's my "how I get my Macross card revoked" confession.  I never liked the music from Frontier.

Lol. You only get it revoked if you don't like M7 and Bomba!!

Personally I prefer the various series with music by Yoko Kanno (Plus, Frontier).

7 wasn't bad, and would probably rate higher if I hadn't marathoned it listening to Planet Dance over and over and over and over and over.

Delta, the music was Jpop, and decent Jpop (as far as I could tell), but it just never meshed with the action on screen the way Frontier and Plus did.

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 3:08 PM, M'Kyuun said:

Man, I love my Macross Design Works book, and have oft lamented not having a follow-on to cover the designs since 2001. Hopefully, some of the other Japanese e-tailers will have it available for international shipping. Like so much Macross merch, I'm guessing this'll be elusive for anyone outside of Japan.

Not that it matters, and I know the Macross Design Works didn't have any, but has Kawamori-san ever included pics of his LEGO sketch models in any of his Macross design books?  LEGO has been a lifelong hobby for me, so from a personal perspective, it'd be neat if those pics were included. His sketch models have become an important part of his design process when figuring out the transformation mechanics of new valks, and I think it'd be fantastic if he included pics of those along with his artwork.

Order from Amazon Japan.  They still export books and movies, it is just very expensive compared to locally sourced items and takes much longer to get your treasure due to overseas shipping via ocean.  You can get it faster by airmail, but now you are looking at paying just as much for shipping as the item...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Thom said:

I can see it as some kind of super-drone AI, and I like it for that, but I hope it's not the hero-fighter. I want something more like the 25/27/31.

I agree. After I brighten it up, I was telling myself that if that's the Battroid head, I hope that it's not a Hero Valk. It's too organic for me.