HG and Robotech Debates

b. Robotech: The Live-Action Movie! It'll be awesome and look just like the Macross Saga! HG will use the SDF and DYRL merchandise rights they acquired lock stock N' Barrell from Japan to use stop motion special effects with Macross toys and figures! It will look just like Plan 9 from Outer Space, but who cares it has Tobey Mcquire as Rick Hunter!

Y'know, Maverick_LSC once threatened me with a ban for coming up with a list of derisive nicknames for Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles... can you guess the one he took umbrage over?

1.) Robotech III: the Sentinels II (harmony gold 0)

2.) Robotech III: the Search for More Money

3.) Tommy Yune's Day Off

4.) Plan 9 from Harmony Gold

Y'know, Maverick_LSC once threatened me with a ban for coming up with a list of derisive nicknames for Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles... can you guess the one he took umbrage over?

1.) Robotech III: the Sentinels II (harmony gold 0)

2.) Robotech III: the Search for More Money

3.) Tommy Yune's Day Off

4.) Plan 9 from Harmony Gold

Number 3?

Whatever, the REAL Robotech III has already been made...and it's got all your favorite Macross characters in it!

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category...6991197DKyHqgMB

Number 3?

Y'know, I didn't think anyone would actually guess it on the first try. You're absolutely right, what got his goat was Tommy Yune's Day Off, though he seemed pretty hacked off about Plan 9 from Harmony Gold too.

Y'know, I didn't think anyone would actually guess it on the first try. You're absolutely right, what got his goat was Tommy Yune's Day Off, though he seemed pretty hacked off about Plan 9 from Harmony Gold too.

Well, that's the one that seemed to be the most...personal, shall we say.

Me, I'd just lay it all on the table and call it, ROBOTECH: Purple Alphas vs. Robot Torsos (with special guest star RICK HUNTER!!!).

While that wasn't a personal attack Seto, they'd take it as that if they had banning you in mind. Just like how they took my criticism of the RTSC poster as a personal attack, and used that against me. Great time to be a Robotech fan!!!

While that wasn't a personal attack Seto, they'd take it as that if they had banning you in mind. Just like how they took my criticism of the RTSC poster as a personal attack, and used that against me. Great time to be a Robotech fan!!!

Yeah, no kidding. I didn't get banned from Robotech.com for that though, but Maverick_LSC made it no secret that he was looking for an excuse to ban me and several other people he considered to be troublemakers. He only recently worked up the courage to actually do it, by accusing everyone he wanted to ban of being "disruptive" when they did things like post facts about Harmony Gold's rights to Macross, and other related topics.

Basically, Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION have adopted the ToU provision that says you're not supposed to disrupt the flow of discussion in a thread as their one-size-fits-all excuse for banning anyone who questions their lies and expresses an opinion they don't like.

Indeed it is a great time to be a Robotech fan... a time when lies are news, and the truth is obsolete, and the mere suggestion that you don't think everything those in authority do is perfect can get your account terminated. It's like Soviet Russia over there... they even have their own equivalent of Pravda called Space Station Liberty.

In Soviet Robotech, show watches you!

Edited by Seto Kaiba

So once again, I watched a few minutes of that God-awful movie Robotech II: The Sentinels. There's one scene that has been bothering me for over a decade, yet not a single RT fan has been able to explain it:

How was Rem able to pilot an Invid Shock Trooper? I mean, I thought Invid (or otherwise Inbit) units were bio-organic, exoskeletal armor and not mecha. There's absolutely no way a humanoid would be able to pilot one.

And another thing, how did an intact, abandoned Shock Trooper happen to be lying around?

How was Rem able to pilot an Invid Shock Trooper? I mean, I thought Invid (or otherwise Inbit) units were bio-organic, exoskeletal armor and not mecha. There's absolutely no way a humanoid would be able to pilot one.

Nah, even in Genesis Climber MOSPEADA the Inbit mecha were clearly mechanical in nature. Robotech had a nasty habit of describing everything "protoculture"-powered as biotechnology. In the lineart, there is a clearly-defined cockpit in both versions of the Gurab, where the pilot sits/floats in some of that green goop that oozes out whenever the mecha gets shot up. How they're controlled is anybody's guess, since neither version really touches on it.

Logically, the Robotech version must have/use physical controls of some kind if Rem was able to pilot one. If logic ain't your bag, you can always handwave the whole thing away by pointing out that Rem is a clone of Zor, the so-called father of "robotechnology" (I hate that term) and therefore the scientist equivalent of Chuck Norris. He can do ANYTHING... he's Zor. Or if you want, you can just blame the whole thing on the assorted plot holes of "protoculture" and call it a day.

And another thing, how did an intact, abandoned Shock Trooper happen to be lying around?

Protoculture!

I dunno, somewhere there's a naked Inbit/Invid running around? If you really want, you can take the easy (and obvious) way out and blame it on the eminently piss-poor writing that permeates every original Robotech production. I guess since Rem is supposed to be a clone of Zor, they wanted to make him more than just an alien fashion victim with a purple mullet.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

People have been doing that long before you. Honestly, it's kind of insulting.

http://www.geocities.com/spiffy5181/veritechindex.html

Oh yes, it's SOOO insulting that someone thinks enough of a work to include it as part of what they're doing... :rolleyes:

I rarely get this direct, but you remind me of a three-year old: "Johnny's icky! I don't want Johnny playing with the same toys as me!"

The only difference between you (and more than a few posters here) and MEMO and Pizza is which side of the fence you're on.

Get a good look now, that site's being deleted in a few days when Yahoo! closes Geocities permanently.

Every time I see that site, I have the uncontrollable urge to vomit. It's offensive enough that the authors are pilfering stuff from Macross's main timeline for Robotech, they're freely mixing it with stuff from the Macross alternate universe continuity, Gundam, and a bunch of other shows.

If you're so thin skinned and weak stomached that THIS makes you ill, then you've obviously got bigger problems.

Number 3?

Whatever, the REAL Robotech III has already been made...and it's got all your favorite Macross characters in it!

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category...6991197DKyHqgMB

um... what the sh*t is this supposed to be? (seriously, what's this about, I couldn't get more than 30 seconds in without getting distracted and going to another video. by the way did anyone else know that 7eleven is going to be selling Fanta Apple slurpee's in Domo cups? SWEET! ^_^ )

:edit: by the way, is that some Mortar headd in your avatar seto?

Edited by anime52k8

Oh yes, it's SOOO insulting that someone thinks enough of a work to include it as part of what they're doing... :rolleyes:

Yes, it's IS insulting that Robotech fans think so little of Macross and its universe that they treat it like nothing more than a free expansion for the Robotech RPG, or a Robotech expanded universe series. Are they truly that lacking in originality that the only way they can create new material is to pilfer it from someone else?

The only difference between you (and more than a few posters here) and MEMO and Pizza is which side of the fence you're on.

That's awfully rich of you, considering the first thing you did upon arriving here was to start leveling accusations about the content of this thread without ever having read it. ;-)

If you're so thin skinned and weak stomached that THIS makes you ill, then you've obviously got bigger problems.

It's a nausea provoked by a profound lack of originality and respect for other shows on the part of Robotech fans. Of course, since Robotech itself is by nature nothing more than a bunch of unrelated shows hastily slapped together with a few very weak excuses, what they're doing is par for the course. Robotech has always been about treating the work of others with light-fingered contempt, so it comes as no surprise... it's just disappointing to see that even the fans seem to lack originality a lot of the time.

It really gets me to thinking about the various groups who've been exiled from Robotech.com over the ages... all of the groups who followed something that went beyond the simple constraints of the "original 85"... and in all cases, it was the stuff that had a far higher percentage of original material than the "original 85" did. Robotech honestly seems to be a franchise that has nothing but scorn for originality.

:edit: by the way, is that some Mortar headd in your avatar seto?

Why yes, yes it is. Amaterasu's original Knight of Gold. I'm stoked for the forthcoming blu-ray edition of the Five Star Stories movie.

Damn, I haven't seen those in a while. Good choice for an avatar.

Just makes me wish they'd animated more than just Destiny Three Fates Lachesis... I would've loved to see the Schpeltor and Auge animated like that.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

yes. it is insulting

is HG/Robotech and to an extent, its fanbase completely devoid of original, creative thought that they have to resort to "borrowing" material from the original just to get by/promote itself?

you know the feeling of making something yourself, and then somebody takes it without permission & passes it off as his own? that's what this is, and it's disrespectful to the original creator.

I realize you're all going to think I've gone out of my cotton pickin' mind here, but I'm writing to Kevin McKeever about the whole legal debate hostilities over on Robotech.com, and even proposing a truce of sorts with Pizza the Hutt right now on RobotechX.

I was having a back-and-forth over the PM system with my assistant webmaster and he tossed out a few ideas that could be made to work for all parties involved, so I'm fielding them to Harmony Gold and to the opposing side right now. We'll see if anything comes of it.

(even if it doesn't work, at least nobody can fault me for not trying to mend fences with Pizza, this is attempt #3 since I first met him)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I rarely get this direct, but you remind me of a three-year old: "Johnny's icky! I don't want Johnny playing with the same toys as me!"

Well, it is if they never mention where its from. You know, since they included NONE of the sources for the fighter craft? Or the fact that they seemed to have stolen images from MAHQ.net and Macross Mecha Manual.

Its one thing to add vehicles inspired by other series' (Like Battletech and Heavy Gear), its a totally different thing to outright misappropriate stuff without an explanation. Sure this is a fanwork, but it just shows how little consideration is given to the real sources of these aircraft. It just goes to show that even Robotech fans are fed up with the plainly 80's designs that have walked onto the 21st century and are now incorporating designs produced by an actual aerospace engineer (Shoji Kawamori).

Stealing other designs for your RPG is like being one of those kiddies on deviantart who wipes his ass with Sonic the Hedgehog sprites and marks them with a caption, "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL."

It seems like only Robotech fans have this bizarre assimilation fetish.

I realize you're all going to think I've gone out of my cotton pickin' mind here, but I'm writing to Kevin McKeever about the whole legal debate hostilities over on Robotech.com, and even proposing a truce of sorts with Pizza the Hutt right now on RobotechX.

Don't bother with that racist pig McKeever. I still haven't forgiven him for that anti-Asian comment he posted on the old MW forums years ago.

um... what the sh*t is this supposed to be? (seriously, what's this about, I couldn't get more than 30 seconds in without getting distracted and going to another video. by the way did anyone else know that 7eleven is going to be selling Fanta Apple slurpee's in Domo cups? SWEET! ^_^ )

Ah, it's great. Some people took Gunbuster, Flashback 2012, and Love, Live, Alive and turned it into "Robotech III"! With Noriko as Annie and Amano as Minmay. It's pretty funny once you get into it.

You CANNOT be serious. Have you read all of Pizza's posts? And compared them to all of Einherjar's? Einherjar actually CONTRIBUTES to the converation here, Pizza derails every thread with accusations and threats. And Memo is a MODERATOR. Seto and Einherjar are not.

If this thread upsets you so much, there are THOUSANDS of other threads to check out here. Why not try those?

I think "Insulting" is a good word for it. First off if you think so much of another person's work, why bastardize it into something that it's not? Why not just play in the subject's native universe?

Wrong again.

None of the MW members here ever advocated banning or censoring people who voice radically opposite opinions; which is why Memo is a member here and posted here.

Memo however, doesn't extend the same courtesy to Robotech fans - he actually bans them for being members of MW.com - even though MEMO is a member of MW.com.

I would say Memo is a hypocrit - but I think he's too stupid to be a hypocrit even.

Maybe that's insulting - but it's more than insulting when Harmony Gold sends threatening legal letters to regular people who happen to be fans of Macross and want to sell Yamato valkyrie.

I don't know how much clearer it can be made for you.

Just witness the fact that everyone here accepts your right to post your opinions.

But hopefully you can distinguish between respecting your right to an opinion and being able to think it WRONG.

aka "I can't stop you from saying it, but I don't have to like it."

Pete

Just witness the fact that everyone here accepts your right to post your opinions.

But hopefully you can distinguish between respecting your right to an opinion and being able to think it WRONG.

aka "I can't stop you from saying it, but I don't have to like it."

Also, the fact that despite being condescending to people just on this thread, they were generous enough to give you the information you needed. They could have easily told you to google it instead.

I remember that scene from Sentienls. The Shock Trooper had been slightly damaged and had actually crashed in an earlier fight with a Bioroid and I figure the Invid pilot was wounded in the crash and decided to bail before Rem was apparently able to jump start the abondened mecha.

Don't forget that a very similar thing happened in Episode 2 of Macross Zero. Shin ducks Mao out of the way of a VF-0 in Gerwalk crashing down. Of course this time we see the faceless pilot out of the cockpit and shot up by laser blasts several feet from his damaged VF-0 before Shin climbs in. The situation happens all the time in anime and video games: ridiculously valuable mecha just left unattended with its assigned pilot killed or MIA just waiting for a young hero with great mechanical/piloting/gamer skills to hop in and start piloting it.

It just goes to show that even Robotech fans are fed up with the plainly 80's designs that have walked onto the 21st century and are now incorporating designs produced by an actual aerospace engineer (Shoji Kawamori).

Has any Robotech fan incorprated Shoji Kawamori's Diaclone designs that were used for Transformers G1 to Robotech? I am sure there has got to be countless Robotech fans who would consider Protoculture a viable alternative to Energon

It seems like only Robotech fans have this bizarre assimilation fetish.

Thats it! The Line Must Be Drawn HERE! First we must find a way to unassimilate that bald guy in red, Captain Leonard from Robotech. Then we team him up with Analyzer to kill the Robotech Queen and self-destruct the N.U.N.S Enterprise-E to destroy all the assimilated robotech fans and their protoculture!

Well it's quite obvious as to which side of the fence you're on LOL

you actually liked that script, so that tells me A LOT right there.

I ask myself why is this person being such an ass? Then I realize

oh he's a TSC fan, now it all makes sense! TSC fans are all rude, ignorant

and just plain stupid, not to mention the first to be in line when it comes to drinking that kool-aid!

It seems you've only come here to defend robotech, without doing your research either. All these people, despite your assinine attitude, have tried to be helpful and you still act like a jerk! Why is that? God forbid anyone have a different opinion than yours! Some here don't like robotech okay, so get over it, this isnt a robotech site it's a macross site! You chose to come here, so suck it up and stop being a wuss. Stop trying to pick fights and just respect the fact that robotech isnt the greatest thing ever.

I don't care if this post of mine gets me on your hit list, I am just sick of your attitude it's totally uncalled for.

Edited by HappyPenguins