HG and Robotech Debates

In fairness Robotech doesn't have much of a past either. HG has not been able to produce any spin-off or sequel worth mentioning since Macek's original 85 episode series. In that respect Robotech fans suffer as much from their actions as the Macross fan base. As you said, the only future that franchise has is if an outsider like WB takes control in the creative department.

That Harmony Gold hasn't produced a Robotech continuation the industry noticed or cared about certainly hasn't stopped the delusional die-hards from rambling on endlessly with petitions to get Robotech: the Untold Story released on DVD, or to get Robotech II: the Sentinels and Robotech 3000 finished.

Viewing the thread at RT.com was a rather unsettling experience, a few posters in there I'd file under the damaged goods department. I will take your word for it that the average poster of the RT-boards is far saner, but if your able to stay calm at all that garbage they were spewing at you then you missed a calling as a special needs teacher.

Yeah, threads like that do tend to bring out the crazies... particularly those who can't cope with the idea that Robotech failed spectacularly and Macross is successful. The average Robotech fan is quite a bit calmer and more rational.

I'm not EVEN gonna ask about the rabbit...I hope your hand heals quickly, though. :)

It's my brother's pet... his girlfriend hit him with the doe-eyed attack and got him to adopt it from the humane society last year.

He hates you because he hates BOBBY? Again, words fail me.

It would be more accurate to say that he hates me in part because I don't find Bobby's homosexuality offensive. As he put it on RobotechX:

"On a sad note,it is a shame that a homosexual was piloting the Macross quarter.I guess that means the homosexual plague will have a place in the future.I mean Alto was also a kabuki female dancer..Jeeze that is sad"

and after we told him to drop the bigotry and explained the cultural context of both characters:

"Sheesh!,I did not know that there was that many gay huggers out there.I can tell by all the gay huggers who supports homosexuality it will be required by law for everyone to be gay by the year 2018."

He misses the point. And why can't he tell me himself? Is he a member here?

Dammit, this is all a conspiracy to get me to join RT.com, isn't it?

I do recall him saying something about having an account here that he said he was using to spy on this thread (as though it were some secret, clandestine affair). If he really does have an account here, he's probably too afraid to post himself, since if he came out swinging like he does on Robotech.com and RobotechX.com he'd probably be banned pretty swiftly.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

These days it's BW who refuses to play with HG. Not that I blame them after Tats' animation land grab and HG's demands years ago.

I thought HG left the offer to BW and everyone else open all these years just in case they reconsider. However, they never changed their conditions to the deal(s) as the world moved on.

Edited by Einherjar

Seto really channels everyone Intelligence in here on to the various RT sites. Too bad Maek and yune can't come up witha an idea that can put RT back in the spotlight.

In other news Pizza the hut ate himself to death after being locked in his limo.

Just read this:

when those fighters transform the resemble Gundam with same styles and even the lightsabres.

Where were there light sabers? :blink:

How does a Valkyrie resemble a Gundam when it changes modes? :huh:

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

NEW THREAD EH?

HMMM..

MY ONE ARGUMENT IS ANYTHING FROM THE JAPANES COURTS DONT HOLD NOTHING AND INCLUDING THE FAN SPECULATION THAT THOSE COURT DECISIONS CHAGES ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF JAPAN. THIS WAS WELL DEBATED YEARS AGO IN THESE THREADS. SOME JUST MOVED ON AND THOSE JUST BARELY LEARNING ARE FINDING OUT THE REAL DEAL.

1. HG HAS AQUIRED THE RIGHTS INCLUDING FOR THE NEW RLAM WITH USING EVERYTHING FROM ROBOTECH 85 EPESODES DUE TO ITS FIRST AQUIRED DEALS BACK IN THE 90'S AND EARLY 80'

THAT ALL OF A SUDDEN JAPAN HAD THIS COURT PAPERS STATING THE OBVIOUS DOES NOT HOLD NO TRUTH OUTSIDE OF JAPAN COURTS.

2."IF" ANYTHING IS FOUGHT OUTSIDE BY BW TO PURSUE THESE RIGHTS WILL FALL TO ITS INITIAL JUDGMENT OF TEH FIRST CONTARCT MADE IN THE BEGGINING. CAVSCOUT AND OTHERS HAVE ALREADY MADE THESE ARGUMENTS.

IF BW COMES TO THE U.S AND FIGHST THESE RIGHTS WITH ITS NEW PAPERS FROM THE JAPANESE COURTS, THEY WILL BE THROWN AWAY AND RULE ON THE FIRST DEALS MADE.

WICH HG BEEN SAYING ALL TEH TIME THAT THE JUDJMENT IN JAPAN CHANGES NOTHING FOR THE FUTURE OF ROBOTECH SINCE ITS INITIAL DEAL. WICH NOW WE HAVE SEEN FOR TEH FIRST TIME WITH CATALIST.

THIS INFO COMES FROM NOT ONLY LAWYERS THAT I KNOW BUT AS WELL AS SAME DISCUSSIONS THAT OTHERS HERE SEEM TO HAVE WITH PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY.

WHY I SAY, WHATEVER BW PUTS UP DOES NOT AFFECT HG OUTSIDE OF JAPAN AND THE PRODUCTION INTO THE MOVIE.

IF ANYONE HAS THOSE INITIAL DEALS TO SHOW FROM THE 90'S PLEASE POST THEM UP. THOSE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT I HAVE NOT SEEN. AND THATS WHAT I BEEN ARGUING ALL THE TIME.

SORRY SETO... BUT I STILL SAY JAPANS RECENT RULINGS AND DUCUMENTS MEAN NOTHING OUTSIDE OF JAPAN.

NOW FOR THOSE THAT I KNOW, I HOPE I TRIED TO KEEP MY ARGUENT CIVIL.

HEHEHE

Edited by MEMO1DOMINION

Then why you yelling?

When you type in all caps it means that you either

A) are emphasizing a point

b) YELLING

C) Left the caps key on.

or

D) want your point to be heard and or read and feel you are right no matter what.

Also please use a spell check program.

NEW THREAD EH?

HMMM..

MY ONE ARGUMENT IS ANYTHING FROM THE JAPANES COURTS DONT HOLD NOTHING AND INCLUDING THE FAN SPECULATION THAT THOSE COURT DECISIONS CHAGES ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF JAPAN. THIS WAS WELL DEBATED YEARS AGO IN THESE THREADS. SOME JUST MOVED ON AND THOSE JUST BARELY LEARNING ARE FINDING OUT THE REAL DEAL.

1. HG HAS AQUIRED THE RIGHTS INCLUDING FOR THE NEW RLAM WITH USING EVERYTHING FROM ROBOTECH 85 EPESODES DUE TO ITS FIRST AQUIRED DEALS BACK IN THE 90'S AND EARLY 80'

THAT ALL OF A SUDDEN JAPAN HAD THIS COURT PAPERS STATING THE OBVIOUS DOES NOT HOLD NO TRUTH OUTSIDE OF JAPAN COURTS.

2."IF" ANYTHING IS FOUGHT OUTSIDE BY BW TO PURSUE THESE RIGHTS WILL FALL TO ITS INITIAL JUDGMENT OF TEH FIRST CONTARCT MADE IN THE BEGGINING. CAVSCOUT AND OTHERS HAVE ALREADY MADE THESE ARGUMENTS.

IF BW COMES TO THE U.S AND FIGHST THESE RIGHTS WITH ITS NEW PAPERS FROM THE JAPANESE COURTS, THEY WILL BE THROWN AWAY AND RULE ON THE FIRST DEALS MADE.

WICH HG BEEN SAYING ALL TEH TIME THAT THE JUDJMENT IN JAPAN CHANGES NOTHING FOR THE FUTURE OF ROBOTECH SINCE ITS INITIAL DEAL. WICH NOW WE HAVE SEEN FOR TEH FIRST TIME WITH CATALIST.

THIS INFO COMES FROM NOT ONLY LAWYERS THAT I KNOW BUT AS WELL AS SAME DISCUSSIONS THAT OTHERS HERE SEEM TO HAVE WITH PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY.

WHY I SAY, WHATEVER BW PUTS UP DOES NOT AFFECT HG OUTSIDE OF JAPAN AND THE PRODUCTION INTO THE MOVIE.

IF ANYONE HAS THOSE INITIAL DEALS TO SHOW FROM THE 90'S PLEASE POST THEM UP. THOSE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT I HAVE NOT SEEN. AND THATS WHAT I BEEN ARGUING ALL THE TIME.

SORRY SETO... BUT I STILL SAY JAPANS RECENT RULINGS AND DUCUMENTS MEAN NOTHING OUTSIDE OF JAPAN.

HEHEHE

So you know that HG is telling the truth because HG told you that they're telling the truth.

Air-tight, that one is. :p

NEW THREAD EH?

HMMM..

HEHEHE

Bla, bla ,bla. We all know you are lying. You have no evidences to back up your claims. Admit defeat and get over it.

P.S.: Do something about your damn keyboard. It's f*cking annoying and no one can take you seriously. And say goodbye to the MACROSS destroid designs for the LAM (if the movie get made of course ...).

Seto really channels everyone Intelligence in here on to the various RT sites. Too bad Maek and yune can't come up witha an idea that can put RT back in the spotlight.

Unfortunately, with people like MEMO around who are simply unwilling to believe the truth, or don't understand the situation but won't shut up anyway, there's very little that can be done.

MY ONE ARGUMENT IS [...]

Your one argument is bullshit based entirely around wishful thinking and a complete inability to understand the evidence.

Also, turn your damn caps lock off already... it's not cruise control for cool.

Harmony Gold only acquired the film distribution and merchandising rights.

That does not give them the right to use those copyrighted designs in their live-action movie, and it does not give them the right to use those designs in future animated works. We've seen proof of that already in Shadow Chronicles, with the deaths and disappearances of the entire Macross cast.

Rulings on copyrights apply internationally under the Berne Convention, one of the cornerstones of international copyright law.

Not if, as is the case, Tatsunoko never had the rights you're alleging they licensed to Harmony Gold.

Of course, there is no proof they ever gave Harmony Gold those rights, and a mountain of evidence saying they didn't.

The situation with Catalyst concerned a violation of Harmony Gold's MERCHANDISING rights to Macross's original series. Nothing more.

Harmony Gold was entirely correct in stating that the legal battles in Japan didn't affect their Robotech franchise, because they never had the intellectual property rights to begin with.

In short, this "information" of yours comes from people who in all likelihood had little-to-no access to any of the relevant documentation, and were simply going by the few, incorrect details you gave them.

Are you at liberty to say who these people are, because for all we know this info could have all been from HG employees. I say this because with things like the LAM coming out, you know, it's a big thing for many people, it would be nice to hear responses from other people/companies besides HG talk about things like this. Something that's not a HG convention report or notes from an informal interview with a HG crew member to even things out. For instance, Warner Bros., the real company planning to invest money and resources into making the movie. They should take an active role in this now, what's their response? And I'm not talking about the recent ones relayed from WB to HG and then to the fans everywhere. They should be able to speak for themselves, they're Warner Bros.

And can you provide sources for all of this that were made later than 2002 and not made by someone who doesn't work for the company anymore?

Statement Regarding Legal Proceedings in Japan - Harmony Gold not a party to any litigation

Let's face it, a lot has happened in the seven years since Alan Letz made that groundbreaking announcement.

Did he yell there too?

You bet. Pizza the Hutt's already over there throwing a fuss-fit too.

I get such a kick out of seeing him call anyone who argues based on the facts a "Seto fanboy".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

when those fighters transform the resemble Gundam with same styles and even the lightsabres.

Where were there light sabers? :blink:

How does a Valkyrie resemble a Gundam when it changes modes? :huh:

Pizza does have a point for once, BeyondtheGrave.

1. The VF-25s in Frontier had "light" knives that were Gundam beam sword meets Evangelion Progressive Knife.

2. During Battleroid transformation the VF-25 splits at the torso before recombining with a beam of light, a throwback to the unrealistic transformations found in the original 0079 Gundam and earlier mecha shows.

Pizza does have a point for once, BeyondtheGrave.

1. The VF-25s in Frontier had "light" knives that were Gundam beam sword meets Evangelion Progressive Knife.

Prog Knife, I can see. Beam sabers, not so much.

2. During Battleroid transformation the VF-25 splits at the torso before recombining with a beam of light, a throwback to the unrealistic transformations found in the original 0079 Gundam and earlier mecha shows.

No, it doesn't. All the swing bars are there. Now, the VF-25 uses magnets for some parts of the transformation, but nothing splits or breaks off. It all holds together.

Okay... this is actually a matter of interest now...

MEMO is claiming that Harmony Gold has made official statements at conventions and the like that they have the ability to use anything out of the "original 85 episodes". He hasn't provided any evidence to back that one up though. If he does, it could be a very interesting breakthrough.

Anyone who goes to their panels... have they ever actually discussed their rights to the original Macross series, or is MEMO just blowing smoke?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I'm not certain what all the arguing is about. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. Clearly, if HG has the rights they claim, they will exercise those rights to their advantage. They'll want to play up the most memorable and popular segment of the original series as much as possible.

If they don't, then they'll likely try to distance themselves from Macross as much as possible, by creating sequels that push the designs that they are more confident regarding their ownership (likely MOSPEADA since Southern Cross is pretty unpopular among fans) , redesigning any Macross era characters that do appear so as to be barely recognizable, and generally bending over backwards to avoid pushing BW into an unavoidable legal showdown HG cannot win.

If they don't, then they'll likely try to distance themselves from Macross as much as possible

Virtually all of the remaining Macross Saga characters were killed, incapacitated, or simply didn't appear in Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles. The only remaining character from that saga (Rick Hunter) was dramatically redesigned such that he looks like Hideo Kuze from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd gig now.

by creating sequels that push the designs that they are more confident regarding their ownership (likely MOSPEADA since Southern Cross is pretty unpopular among fans)

Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles was exclusively content from Southern Cross, Mospeada, and Robotech II: the Sentinels.

redesigning any Macross era characters that do appear so as to be barely recognizable

Like the current character design of Rick Hunter...

and generally bending over backwards to avoid pushing BW into an unavoidable legal showdown HG cannot win.

Fancy that...

Okay... this is actually a matter of interest now...

MEMO is claiming that Harmony Gold has made official statements at conventions and the like that they have the ability to use anything out of the "original 85 episodes". He hasn't provided any evidence to back that one up though. If he does, it could be a very interesting breakthrough.

Anyone who goes to their panels... have they ever actually discussed their rights to the original Macross series, or is MEMO just blowing smoke?

This might be very interesting indeed, that is if MEMO actually delivers and provide evidence for once (and by evidence, i mean real evidence and not something he pulled out of his ALIEN STAR SHIP)

Tommy at Comic-con acted confused and said that as far as he knows Macross still has pending litigation and left it at that. Every time I hear them talk rights they talk about the rights to "all of Robotech" which is essentially an admission that they only have rights to those elements which are UNIQUELY Robotech.

Tommy at Comic-con acted confused and said that as far as he knows Macross still has pending litigation and left it at that. Every time I hear them talk rights they talk about the rights to "all of Robotech" which is essentially an admission that they only have rights to those elements which are UNIQUELY Robotech.

Thank you. ^_^

so MEMO took the 'we own everything Robotech' out of context to mean that HG can use anything from SDF Macross? So his claim is false then?

so MEMO took the 'we own everything Robotech' out of context to mean that HG can use anything from SDF Macross? So his claim is false then?

That would seem to be the case, yes.

This might be very interesting indeed, that is if MEMO actually delivers and provide evidence for once (and by evidence, i mean real evidence and not something he pulled out of his ALIEN STAR SHIP)

I find hilarious how MEMO can keep debating without any evidences to back up his claims. Only Pizza "the Lunatic Fanboy" is on MEMO side. It seems to me that a vast majority of robotech fans cleary understand what Seto is trying to say. A normal thing since Seto is backing up his claims with OFFICIAL documents, a thing MEMO cannot do.

I doubt Kevin will say anything. If he does he will say the typical "All rights to ROBOTECH!" line which only serves to confuse matters as those who don't see through it assume it means all facets of the Macross story. He might even address Seto directly to make it seem like he's correcting Seto when in reality he'd pretty much just be agreeing with him in a way that would confuse the snot out of the people who haven't been following any of this mess (and to be fair, very few people are probably even aware there is a rights issue).

Where is Kevin McKeever and his STHU speech for the week in a topic like this? This would be around the time he comes in and does damage control.

He can't because he knows exactly that Seto interpretation of the court rulings is right. Also how McKeever is going to debate when OFFICIAL documents prove Seto version of the story ? As we speak, McKeever is probably reading in despair because he can't prove Seto is wrong with facts and evidences. So joining the debate will be not wise for McKeever because he knows perfectly he is going to make a fool of himself. As simple as that.

What is funny is that rt fans who support the falacy that HG owns all the rights and designs to SDF Macross are under the assumption that WB is going to use those designs in the movie. Even if they could use them, they wouldn't. Why would they cut part of their potential profit in Japan by using the old designs? It boggles my mind how there's just no thought or forsight into what they think will happen, or what could happen.

There is a reason why the staff doesn't get involved in those conversations. It's because they don't want to get involved in owning up to facts. Again, what I see is a bunch of RT fans attempting to translate a semi-complicated ruling into their own interpretation, and they're completely getting it wrong. While it's sad, I simply could careless. For those that are interested in truth, good for you, but for people that prefer the rose colored goggles, ignorance is bliss, I guess.

You know, it would be pretty entertaining if the battletech people would drum up enough money to hire Kawamori to do some new mecha designs for them :)

Hey... maybe they could get the rights to the redesigns from MacrossII....

Where is Kevin McKeever and his STHU speech for the week in a topic like this? This would be around the time he comes in and does damage control.

I agree... Kevin McKeever is conspicuous in his absence.

As soon as the subject of Harmony Gold's (in)ability to use Macross was raised, I fully expected him to butt in and lock the thread straightaway. Yet he hasn't shown up or done anything...

He might even address Seto directly to make it seem like he's correcting Seto when in reality he'd pretty much just be agreeing with him in a way that would confuse the snot out of the people who haven't been following any of this mess (and to be fair, very few people are probably even aware there is a rights issue).

If he does, that would probably be how he'll do it. He'll leap in with the "we own everything Robotech" line, which is a half-truth he usually uses to deflect awkward questions. They DO own everything Robotech... namely, everything that is distinct and separate from the original story, designs, and production process of Macross.

He can't because he knows exactly that Seto interpretation of the court rulings is right. Also how McKeever is going to debate when OFFICIAL documents prove Seto version of the story ? As we speak, McKeever is probably reading in despair because he can't prove Seto is wrong with facts and evidences. So joining the debate will be not wise for McKeever because he knows perfectly he is going to make a fool of himself. As simple as that.

Since when has McKeever ever relied on facts and evidence? For god's sake, the man works in marketing. As any corporate man'll tell you, marketing is the use of fraud and deception to sell trash to nerds. Yeah, he can't shift aside the evidence I've posted, but I can't really see that stopping him from trying.

What is funny is that rt fans who support the falacy that HG owns all the rights and designs to SDF Macross are under the assumption that WB is going to use those designs in the movie. Even if they could use them, they wouldn't.

It's kind of silly, truth be told. It's a reimagining, and they're hoping that Warner will somehow change its mind if enough whiny threads asking for original designs show up. Warner knows full well they can't use those designs without Big West's say-so, which is probably why the movie's going to be a reimagining... so they can do Robotech's Macross Saga without having to bend over backwards to get Big West's OK.

There is a reason why the staff doesn't get involved in those conversations. It's because they don't want to get involved in owning up to facts. Again, what I see is a bunch of RT fans attempting to translate a semi-complicated ruling into their own interpretation, and they're completely getting it wrong. While it's sad, I simply could careless. For those that are interested in truth, good for you, but for people that prefer the rose colored goggles, ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Well, there are certainly other reasons they won't get involved... like the simple truth that the live-action movie is well and truly out of Harmony Gold's hands. They're spectators at this point. They sold the rights, and the creative decisions are all being made by someone else.

No. Just no. Never. I wouldn't even give them the hideous Sound Force valkyries, and I HATE Macross 7.

Or they could hire Miyatake, HE'S the one who did all the destroids, and all anyone really cares about is the tomahawk/war hammer anyways

Or they could hire Miyatake, HE'S the one who did all the destroids, and all anyone really cares about is the tomahawk/war hammer anyways

Damn you and your logic!

As for dealing with robotech.com, I've long since discovered that all debates can be solved by ignoring the inanity of the people posting such crap, and replying with the hot blooded passion of a Fire Bomber fan.

You know, it would be pretty entertaining if the battletech people would drum up enough money to hire Kawamori to do some new mecha designs for them :)

Did he not do the designs for the Japanese game?