Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.6

Duke Togo

Hi guys,

Do take some pics on the most complained mode, Gerwalk and let us know how well can it really pose with the Tornado pack. I can see some poses are giving 'A' stand and is it really stable with the support given?

Thanks in advance.

ikhii

anyone can confirm if the vf 25f of the tornado pack has improvements in the neck or in others parts i ask this because i found this pic

Sorry it s just the same thing that come with armored Ozma who help to keep the pack not falling with the weight...I use it on my alto with super pack to keep a descent Gerwal pose ...

Bah! Not everything! It doesn't mention if it's available here in Hong Kong and if it is, what it's called. :(

Anybody know?

Graham

yup, Graham is so right!

been wondering myself if I should cross the border to Shenzhen for a bottle of Future at the nearest local Walmart, sth we don't have down here in hk! I am not even sure they really sell that as the website claims.

Edited by regult

I guess the long tail boom serves as a third "leg" in battroid mode so the toy does not need extra support to stand up? makes me suspect the whole new tornado pack was meant to spruce up the DX VF-25 and milk an otherwise ugly mold.

Is the arm-armor for the tornado as loose and flimsy as the armored pack ?

Is the fit overal better then the super and armor parts ? Is it easy to put on and off ?

Do all the parts stay on or do they pop off just by looking at them the wrong way ?

The Tornado parts for the wings, legs and back all attach easily, stay on very securely, yet are easy and quick to remove if needed. No complaints. :)

The arm armor however is still exactly the same pice of crap design from the Armored Pack. No changes in how they attach. :( So basicallly, they are as fiddly as all hell to attch in fighter mode and fall off if you look at them the wrong way. I just leave them off in fighter mode. It's just not worth the frustration and high blood pressure of trying to get them to stay on IMO.

Graham

quick P.S.A.

Found these cracks on the wing hinges on my armored 25s. It's been on display in armored fighter mode for months.

I think they got stressed being pegged into the leg armor.

I say "cracked" instead of stressed because I can run my fingernail across the long one and can feel the plastic on different levels.

The underside of the plastic is fine though.

Hope mine is just a fluke and all yours' is fine. It's not too serious and still workable.

post-10971-1269841699_thumb.jpg

quick P.S.A.

Found these cracks on the wing hinges on my armored 25s. It's been on display in armored fighter mode for months.

I say "cracked" instead of stressed because I can run my fingernail across the long one and can feel the plastic on different levels.

The underside of the plastic is fine though.

Hope mine is just a fluke and all yours' is fine. It's not too serious and still workable.

post-10971-1269841699_thumb.jpg

Not a fluke. Mine got those same cracks within a day of being in fighter mode with the armor packs on.

So it's displaying the armored Ozma in fighter mode that's causing the breaks? Interesting...

Eugimon, are you saying the joints on your toy just became loose on their own while sitting on display? Is it stuff that could be fixed with a turn of a screw or two?

So it's displaying the armored Ozma in fighter mode that's causing the breaks? Interesting...

Eugimon, are you saying the joints on your toy just became loose on their own while sitting on display? Is it stuff that could be fixed with a turn of a screw or two?

I had mine on the stand so no joints had any weight on them, the legs were allowed to hang and the only thing the arms were doing were holding the gun across the chest. I found the figure to be such a fiddly mess that I didn't touch and just left it as a display piece.

After a few months of this the elbows, the ankle locks and the hips are all loose now. Picking up the figure with armor on causes the legs to swing freely and the ankle locks can barely support the weight of the unarmored vf-25, they collapse entirely if the armor is on. The elbows are quite loose but can still support the weight of the forearm and gun.

I suppose the elbows can be coated with nail polish but I don't know what can be done for the hips and ankle locks.

edit:: only one of the ankles is loose. The other one still snaps into place. There's enough friction in the slide that it still stands there if it doesn't get handled.

Edited by eugimon

Considering the weight that that poor little hinge has to support, I am not really surprised. If there's parts that could have benefitted from being metal, it's both sides of that hinge...and even that might not solve the issue. I don't blame Bandai for that problem, I blame Kawamori for the anorexic design there.

I suspect it might also be a problem on the VF-27, albeit more minor due to the lower weight of the wings and engines.

Considering the weight that that poor little hinge has to support, I am not really surprised. If there's parts that could have benefitted from being metal, it's both sides of that hinge...and even that might not solve the issue. I don't blame Bandai for that problem, I blame Kawamori for the anorexic design there.

I suspect it might also be a problem on the VF-27, albeit more minor due to the lower weight of the wings and engines.

that doesn't make any sense, in fighter mode the wing gloves have their weight supported by the legs while in battroid the wings + booster packs just hang there supported only by the hinges. If it was the weight of the boosters causing the cracks then the problem would have happened to mine as well.

edit:: maybe it's not weight but that with the leg armor attached the wing glove is now at a slight angle since the leg/wing lock is now a little higher up than it stock and that stress is causing the cracks. I can see on my copy that the area where those cracks are that there's a slight indent in the plastic as if there was a mold/flow issue and that area is just plain weaker to begin with.

Edited by eugimon

Personally, I've always been suspicious of the way Bandai designed these things, especially with regards to any armor add-ons to the legs. I mean, think about it.. everything snaps into fighter mode exactly the same way whether you have armor attached or not.

I was expecting to have to drop the legs like a VF-1 to allow room for the leg armor... but you don't. Adding the armor just means you use the same attachment points, at a different angle. The legs do get lowered, but there's no real change in the angle of the leg joints, and the hip joints seem like they're attaching at the wrong angle to me. It makes me think two things:

1: By putting the thing in fighter mode with the armor/super packs, you are putting a ton of stress on all the attachment points because they weren't designed correctly to attach at the different angles required by the packs

2: Bandai did a half-assed job designing the way things lock together so there would be some amount of sloppyness in the joints.

People have said before that the super and armor packs feel like afterthoughts to the VF-25, and I have to agree. It looks like they decided to slap the leg armors on without any thought at all as to what stresses the new leg position might put on the existing pegs.

I don't mean to rant, so my apologies if this comes off as one. I'd thought about getting an armored Ozma as my last DX, but these cracks really confirm my fears about how Bandai handled the armor. The VF-25 already barely fits together unarmored in fighter mode, and the armor makes me think they just hoped the pegs would line up well enough to hold it together, with no regard for the stress on the plastic.

Sadly, cramming an armor as complex as this onto the plane and making it all fit correctly might require a level of forethought and precision beyond what the current VF-25 has. :(

My VF-25G has become extremely floppy despite not doing anything with it nearly since the time I got it. The arms can barely support their own weight and the legs flop around just like the old 1/72 YF-21 toy. I don't know if the same has happened to my RVF-25 or 25S since they have been in fighter mode all this time, but I wouldn't be surprised. I could understand this happening if they were played with a lot and moving the joints around and such, but when just displaying in a fixed position all this time? It's not even like these things are old. I really hope the VF-27 doesn't eventually turn floppy like that.

My VF-25G has become extremely floppy despite not doing anything with it nearly since the time I got it.

Ditto for mine.

I bought it when it was first released, transformed it twice and then stuck it in the display cabinet in battroid mode and didn't touch it until recently.

Unfortunately, the arm and leg joints have some how become really loose. :(

Graham

my DX Alto has been in battroid kabuki pose w/ SPs displayed on the stand for the last three months. no problems w/ the arms but i can see that it's easily possible for the hip joints to become really loose/floppy. mine can still hold it's pose even when i tilt the whole thing back or forward but a little push on the legs will definitely change the position of the whole leg/thigh assembly at the hip joint.

the hip joint/block on Yammies are pretty easy to disassemble and tighten... anybody here tried to tighten or disassemble their DX to apply nailpolish on the hip balljoint?

to be perfectly fair, the same thing happened to the hips of my play and abuse v.2 1S Focker... to the point where i swing the valk and the legs swing like a pendulum... but yeah, easily remedied by removing the whole leg assembly and either tightening the screw of the 2-piece block covering the metal balljoint or disassembling it and filling it w/ something... and from experience clear nailpolish (at least the one that i have) doesn't work too well on metal parts/joints.

to be perfectly fair, the same thing happened to the hips of my play and abuse v.2 1S Focker... to the point where i swing the valk and the legs swing like a pendulum... but yeah, easily remedied by removing the whole leg assembly and either tightening the screw of the 2-piece block covering the metal balljoint or disassembling it and filling it w/ something... and from experience clear nailpolish (at least the one that i have) doesn't work too well on metal parts/joints.

There's a huge difference between the joints becoming loose due to play and the joints becoming loose because they're just sitting there.

There's a huge difference between the joints becoming loose due to play and the joints becoming loose because they're just sitting there.

perfectly right... and even for other toys/figures if you move the appendages, like, 1000 times back and forth the joints will naturally become loose... but the thing i was trying to get at was that i wish Bandai had made these (at the very least) easy to disassemble so you could get to those joint and "repair" them if you wanted to.

perfectly right... and even for other toys/figures if you move the appendages, like, 1000 times back and forth the joints will naturally become loose... but the thing i was trying to get at was that i wish Bandai had made these (at the very least) easy to disassemble so you could get to those joint and "repair" them if you wanted to.

Yeah, friction joints losing their stiffness is just natural but there's something wrong with the plastic if they're becoming loose over time without manual wear and tear.

another possible culprit is that mold release agent/oil residue that's ever present on these DXs. since the hip joints on these are bare metal (whereas Yamato's are painted, albeit crappily), some of that oil residue could be the reason why the joints are losing friction even when they're not being played with...

another possible culprit is that mold release agent/oil residue that's ever present on these DXs. since the hip joints on these are bare metal (whereas Yamato's are painted, albeit crappily), some of that oil residue could be the reason why the joints are losing friction even when they're not being played with...

That doesn't explain why the joints are tight out of the box and then become loose on their own. The only logical explanation is that the plastic isn't formulated correctly and is physically changing.

Looking at the dull, poorly cured, pre-chiped diecast on my 27, I wish it was painted as crappily as yamato's diecast. <_<

I think eugimon has a point here. I am maybe lucky the metal parts on my VF-27 don't look that bad, but the left ankle was barely clicking out of the box. I kept it in fighter mode after first transformation.

I stayed away from the VF-25 for 2 reasons: you can't fix ugly, crotch seemed to fail too soon.

Looking at the dull, poorly cured, pre-chiped diecast on my 27, I wish it was painted as crappily as yamato's diecast. <_<

another reason why these things should have been made so it can easily be disassembled so you'd have the option to take it apart and paint the diecast parts. oh well... :mellow:

...images of drifand's mutilated DX Alto suddenly came to mind... lol :lol:

Edited by m0n5t3r

another reason why these things should have been made so it can easily be disassembled so you'd have the option to take it apart and paint the diecast parts. oh well... :mellow:

Or, as the argument is made against yamato all the time, they could have just done it right the first time.

I have these same cracks on my VF-25S full armor. I don't think the armor parts are responsible 'cause I kept mine on for all of a day before I decided they were too fiddly and took them off. It has been sitting on its stand in fighter mode for a few months until I moved it to a Flightpose stand, still in Fighter mode.

The whole wing to leg attachment feels too tight and somewhat poorly aligned in my opinion, whether it has the armor on or not.

I want Bandai to go back and do a Yamato style v2.0 with everything they learned from the VF-27.

Agreed for a vf-25 v.2. They need to design it along with the different packs at the same time and test fit them before they even release 1 vf.

Anyway, after further observation and transforming my 25s a piece of the swing bar broke. Looking carefully there were alot of cracks and clean breaks.

The pic below shows the stressed joints in yellow and the clean breaks are in red. I spent the night taking it apart and trying to super glue them, but the tension of these joints were too much for super glue to handle. Had to go with epoxy which is what looks like the black goop on the pic. I didn't sand them

down much for thicker support. So far now everything is holding. Funny thing is I've transformed my other vf-25' alot more and they're all fine.

post-10971-1269927123_thumb.jpg

I'm not being a hater, I still like these toys, but knowing that they can do better, no more dx-25 toys until a v.2 comes out....if ever.

(they have to sell something for movie 2, right?) ;)