Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.6

Duke Togo

It appears the issues of quality control seem to hit a few people a lot and a few of us have had little to no problems. Just curious where the buyers with the qc issues got their dx's from? Its not that unusual for products that fail to pass qc end up on the gray market. For some importers getting a pallet at half the price is all that matters. I would just recommend dealing with a seller that you can return a sub-standard product for a replacement fairly easy.

It doesn't seem to me it's owing to qc-failed products. In fact, the DX line has been of substandards qc.

This morning from TD there are reports on "dirty faces" (2 cases), hair in the chest, another head paint chip. Stiff shoulder is a given it seems. Face it: the DX production is simply lousy. These problems are okay to tolerate on a Revy, but not on a DX personally. I expect Yamato VF-11B level of excellency - not that Yamato can do it right everytime either, but that is what a high-end toy should accomplish (18000yen is high-end, right?).

I believe no shops will replace for such problems (they only do for missing parts) - that from the current information, those problems are so common that you simply can't replace all of them. "Good" units may not even exist!

It doesn't seem to me it's owing to qc-failed products. In fact, the DX line has been of substandards qc.

This morning from TD there are reports on hair in the chest

Hey, it's Ozma remember, he's a MAN. He's supposed to have hair on his chest!....LOL :p

Graham

Maybe I am just complaining out of envy. B))

My unit doesn't have it!

:unsure:

I just picked up two of these bad boys after selling my altos :blink:

I am holding my breath

hey graham please tell me that the armor parts are not green as they appear in the pics???

Hey Guys!

I pre-ordered this armored VF-25. Just for confirmation, are the bulk of the armor colored blue or more to dark blue gray?

I was crossing my fingers that it would look exactly like the 3D illustrations where it's more dark gray.

I think the armor would look better if they were the color of the feet.

Or am I just on crazy pills?

Thanks for the photos, but are those photos tweaked? Or at least color corrected?

This morning from TD there are reports on "dirty faces" (2 cases), hair in the chest, another head paint chip. Stiff shoulder is a given it seems. Face it: the DX production is simply lousy. These problems are okay to tolerate on a Revy, but not on a DX personally. I expect Yamato VF-11B level of excellency - not that Yamato can do it right everytime either, but that is what a high-end toy should accomplish (18000yen is high-end, right?).

I believe no shops will replace for such problems (they only do for missing parts) - that from the current information, those problems are so common that you simply can't replace all of them. "Good" units may not even exist!

I wouldn't go so far to describe the production as "lousy".

However, I do conceed that the majority DX toys will have some sort of cosmetic blemish out of the box.

For myself, I'm willing to accept these minor cosmetic issues, but I fully understand that a lot of fans are not so forgiving.

A lot of these issues are beacuse of the following IMO: -

1) Bandai not paying sufficient attention (or not caring) about QC.

2) B-grade factory with poor internal QC choosen (lowest bidder wins right to make toys?).

3) Choice of glossy plastic as main material, given that the paint and printing don't stick as well to gloss plastic.

Graham

For myself, I'm willing to accept these minor cosmetic issues, but I fully understand that a lot of fans are not so forgiving.

I think the problem here is the price involved, especially with alot of us ordering from across the Pacific. It gets bloody expensive. $40 toy, there wouldn't be alot of complaining. $200, now that's another story.

I don't get it Bandai's Aquarion DX had great quality control, nice finish, excellent paint apps no scratches or greased up finger prints really SOC quality why isn't the VF-25's graced with that type of "quality" ? Factory change?, lower standards? For a high quality toy this just seems to out of place for bandai.

A lot of these issues are beacuse of the following IMO: -

1) Bandai not paying sufficient attention (or not caring) about QC.

2) B-grade factory with poor internal QC choosen (lowest bidder wins right to make toys?).

3) Choice of glossy plastic as main material, given that the paint and printing don't stick as well to gloss plastic.

I agree on (1) and (2)! Don't know enough to comment on (3).

Also, it's Bandai. I mean, I've mentioned in another occasion (on TD) that if it's from CMS with the same quality and price, I would probably applaud and cheer. But we all know what Bandai is capable of, and so the expectation is different.

And after multiple negative comments, I still want to express that the Armored 25S toy is nice itself, QC problems apart. I like the armor design, the fighter mode looks great, and given the inherited DX chunky body, the battroid mode looks good from some angle after some meddling.

Edited by ff95gj

woohoo! finally got confirmation that my buddy in HK got my VF-25S and for less than what i was expecting it would cost! i just need to be patient and wait for it to be hand delivered next week... :)

good thing all this talk of the VF-25S Armored and it's qc is starting to numb me... i guess when i get mine i'll just take it for what it is and enjoy it just like what the G-man said... but i'm still hoping i won't get anything worse than what i've been reading about... :rolleyes:

Edited by m0n5t3r

You do realise that right now all QC issues reported are from Hong Kong, don't you?

As long as no issues have been found on the Japan-released Valks, it could still be a case of bad factory cases. And it wouldn't be the first time that a country outside Japan got the QC-issue toys or the toys from the lesser factories.

BTW, HLJ is sending out payment requests. Just got mine.

I don't get it Bandai's Aquarion DX had great quality control, nice finish, excellent paint apps no scratches or greased up finger prints really SOC quality why isn't the VF-25's graced with that type of "quality" ? Factory change?, lower standards? For a high quality toy this just seems to out of place for bandai.

LOL you're kidding me right, especially on great quality control? That thing was the floppiest figure I ever owned, right out of the box. Nice finish yes, overall quality---POOR.

After all these comments about Ozma, I may have to invest in getting an armour set for Alto and later buying the renewal DX. I'm not fond of having to swap neck parts for it to transform.

The oily, greasy surface is a given on such toys. Masterpiece Skywarp, with a gloss finish, is still "oily" after years of having him. I think it has something to do with how the paint attaches on the given material and what paint is used.

You do realise that right now all QC issues reported are from Hong Kong, don't you?

As long as no issues have been found on the Japan-released Valks, it could still be a case of bad factory cases. And it wouldn't be the first time that a country outside Japan got the QC-issue toys or the toys from the lesser factories.

BTW, HLJ is sending out payment requests. Just got mine.

Yes, all QC issues are from Hong Kong thus far. On the other hand, how many reports (both with and without problems) we have outside Hong Kong to date?

In either cases, those are still officially from Bandai. Not qc-failed ones. "Bad factory" is not a reason to consumers.

I won't hold my breath too even if I order from HLJ which implies they are from Japan.

Yes, all QC issues are from Hong Kong thus far. On the other hand, how many reports (both with and without problems) we have outside Hong Kong to date?

In either cases, those are still officially from Bandai. Not qc-failed ones. "Bad factory" is not a reason to consumers.

I won't hold my breath too even if I order from HLJ which implies they are from Japan.

Um, mine was shipped from Anime-Export which is Japanese based so wouldn't my impressions count as from outside of Hong Kong (I'm currently residing in the US btw)?

Um, mine was shipped from Anime-Export which is Japanese based so wouldn't my impressions count as from outside of Hong Kong (I'm currently residing in the US btw)?

Yes of course! Your unit would be counted as "from Japan".

My previous point was that, we have a lot of reports from Hong Kong while fewer ones from other places as of yet. So it is too soon to conclude that "only the HK stocks are having the QC problem".

And do I remember correctly that you too suffer from some paint chips problem? :(

Edited by ff95gj

Yes of course! Your unit would be counted as "from Japan".

My previous point was that, we have a lot of reports from Hong Kong while fewer ones from other places as of yet. So it is too soon to conclude that "only the HK stocks are having the QC problem".

And do I remember correctly that you too suffer from some paint chips problem? :(

Yep. Scratches on the black stripe of the left wing. Paint chippings on the shoulder's yellow border and the head's red dot. These can be easily remedied with Gundam markers. The one that I can't quite correct is the gash through the 001 designation on the right shoulder. I'm not too miffed though, just a bit disappointed since the toy came like that out of the box. I like it nonetheless as it is a really impressive-looking piece and to me at least, is more playable than the super Messiahs especially in battroid mode.

You do realize that these problems are not new to the DX Valk line, don't you?

LOL, do people *really* think that Bandai hand selects the "good" ones to sell in Japan from their factories in China? :rolleyes:

So, instead of being lazy or cheap, they're just a closet arm of the Uyoku dantai? :lol:

Edited by eugimon

Because its macross and I think they have some sort of hatred towards it. Gundam is their cash cow and SOC concentrates on 60s and up so Macross franchise with Bandai seems to be on the loosing end. At least they are making an effort. IE we are getting a varied amount of valks as well as a Battle Cruiser which Yamato could have done for us. But I do find that the DX Macross stuff is a little overpriced for what you pull out of the box. I cant afford an Armored VF-25S Ozuma right now as I just bought the 1/100 GFF G3 Gundam w/G-Fighter So IM hoping they will make a Luca or Michael. Does anyone know or heard anything about them making a Michael or Luca Armored set. I like the head design of Michaels Valk the best

Also like the blue.

I still like the fact they incoporated Diecast into the valk unlike Yamato and I am very disappointed about

Because its macross and I think they have some sort of hatred towards it.

Oh yeah, Bandai hates Macross so much they put out 4 DYRL 1/55 releases in the '80s, 3 High Complete Models in the '80s, 1 1990 1/55, 4 Macross 7 Valkyries, and what like, 8 or so 1/55s in 2002?, 4 more 1/55s just last year, and how many Macross Frontier Valkyries? Oh, and not to mention all the model kits and the 1/100 toys. Don't be ridiculous.

Oh yeah, Bandai hates Macross so much they put out 4 DYRL 1/55 releases in the '80s, 3 High Complete Models in the '80s, 1 1990 1/55, 4 Macross 7 Valkyries, and what like, 8 or so 1/55s in 2002?, 4 more 1/55s just last year, and how many Macross Frontier Valkyries? Oh, and not to mention all the model kits and the 1/100 toys. Don't be ridiculous.

and Compare that to the Gundam releases!

Because its macross and I think they have some sort of hatred towards it. Gundam is their cash cow and SOC concentrates on 60s and up so Macross franchise with Bandai seems to be on the loosing end. At least they are making an effort. IE we are getting a varied amount of valks as well as a Battle Cruiser which Yamato could have done for us. But I do find that the DX Macross stuff is a little overpriced for what you pull out of the box. I cant afford an Armored VF-25S Ozuma right now as I just bought the 1/100 GFF G3 Gundam w/G-Fighter So IM hoping they will make a Luca or Michael. Does anyone know or heard anything about them making a Michael or Luca Armored set. I like the head design of Michaels Valk the best

Also like the blue.

I still like the fact they incoporated Diecast into the valk unlike Yamato and I am very disappointed about

how big is the 1/100 GFF G3 gundam is it truly 10 inches???

They hate it soooo much, they decided to be the main sponsor for the anime series. :wacko:

Edited by Vifam7

The main things I don't like about the DX's are the paint scraping, shoulder ball joints getting loose too quick(would have preferred universal ratchet joints), shoulders not being able to move much without the shoulder armor moving with it, the ARMORED DX not being able to retract the head with the neck extension, and lack of thigh swivel.

The main things I don't like about the DX's are the paint scraping, shoulder ball joints getting loose too quick(would have preferred universal ratchet joints), shoulders not being able to move much without the shoulder armor moving with it, the ARMORED DX not being able to retract the head with the neck extension, and lack of thigh swivel.

so I take it you have one then!