A cool scratchbuild idea

Its really amazing what some people are able to build from scratch

I have seen some unbelievable stuff on here.

I have always been pretty good at crafts and art related things; sculpting, drawing, etc.

I have been meaning to get into scratchbuilding for a long time now.

Anyway, I have always thought it would be really cool to scratchbuild a Hover Tank that can actually transform into all three forms!

What do you guys think? Has it been done before?

Another idea I have always thought would be cool would be to bring scratchbuilders togther very formally in an serious Art Gallery Show.

I have a bit of Museum/Gallery education and have always had this in my head from the begining.

Has this been done before?

If you can make a variable Hover Tank and its line accurate, I would be blown away. So far the only Hover tank I've ever seen or owned is the old Matchbox RT version. If there was ever a resin kit made, never seen it.

If you should accept this mission to build one, 1/60 at least, if not 1/48 scale. B))

OneSixM,

I second your motion, after getting blown away by MaveRick's Dimensional Fortress work and the 'Daedalus' Project.

I've stood at the sidelines and watched others scratch for a couple of DECADES; poured over my Dengeki Hobby & HJ mag collection and tried to absorb techniques and tutorials like an Area51 geek in the 50's w/ a hanger fulla alien corpses and Unobtanium 'tin foil' scraps--or you might say,..SE Asian tech bootlegger with a first issue I-Phone/F-22 engine/[insert bleeding edge tech] and CAAD/CNC equipment...

My last scratchbuild was something akin to the Maschinen Kreiger 'flipper' spacefighter being marketed currently; it was a 1-man, light fighter bashed from a derelict DeHav. Mossie kit., circa 1983. I was cruisin NYC for anything Macross that summer-Con's in midtown hotels with admission fees beyond my means[$40], or whatever was on the shelves of the "Forbidden Planet" off 14th & Brdwy.

Now after dabbling in R/C, racing bikes and 2 tours in Japan amongst gunpla, I'm pretty sure I can scratch about anything from a much wider pool of mixed media/materials than I was aware of when younger.

If you can get 3-views of lineart and supporting images, whether canon or other artist's interpretations, you can prototype anything. Just keep your initial proof-of-concepts of cheap, disposable materials to figure out your proportions, axiis and symmetries. If you are blessed w/computer resources & knowledge, so much the better.

Look forward to seeing your efforts in the future. Peace

Vespaeda,

Yes I don't know if I am there yet but soon I will give it a shot.

I don't have the skill yet.

I am refineing my model building skills first.

But when I am ready I will probably just go off of a matchbox hover thank, figure out the needed adjustments an than build a scratch slightly bigger.

I just need to locate a loose hover tank first.

By the way your name, is it Vespa + Mospeada?

I like it!

I have been trying to locate a 50s-60s Vespa 400 Microcar for the last two years, no luck. I have found a few but very expensive!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Vespas are COOL; it would take a bit of skill/luck & cohones to get a vintage one.

My username does come from 'Vespa' & 'Mospeada', but the 'Vespa' comes from Hornet, as in F/A-18 Hornet.

I was stationed in Japan and got to see a lot of them and other mil. jets/mecha close up back in 2000. It was when Mac Zero came out and I returned stateside 3 WEEKS before the first Yamato 1/48's were released!!! I had no chance to buy one--they could be had from Japanese toystores for $90 - 110 US at the time!!!!

My other friends 'in-the-know' also left at that time, although I pissed my best friend off by getting into a relationship w/his Japanese homey's mom.... :rolleyes:; he wouldn't look up sh*t for me after that.

I actually designed my own variable fighter f-18 back then and hope to model it someday.

Go ahead and trust your skills and build. Worst that can happen is your results will look crappy, but you look beyond and attempt again until you like what you see.

I recently worked hard building internal mechanisms/articulation for the boxy waist plates of a 1/144 Gundam with wire, springs and metallic beads. It worked like a charm after 1-1/2 month work and was ready for finishing & painting. I picked it up and it caught on something at the pelvis joint and ripped apart!!! I was too pissed to touch it for a week, but I got over it and will start again with improvements learned.

I'm head'in for the land of 'camels & burkas' shortly, so it will be a while.

Oh right on Vespaeda,

I was also stationed in Japan back in 1999, wow thats like 10 years ago wow!

In Okinawa.

I didn't see $hit while I was there they worked us live slaves!

I was back home before I knew what was what. My brother was there at the time too and I though I would go visit but he was on the mainland so it didn't happen. I had not seen him for like three years.

One day I will go back, but this time for fun!

Good luck with the camels.

Edited by OneSixMedia

If you can make a variable Hover Tank and its line accurate, I would be blown away. So far the only Hover tank I've ever seen or owned is the old Matchbox RT version. If there was ever a resin kit made, never seen it.

If you should accept this mission to build one, 1/60 at least, if not 1/48 scale. B))

yeah, hovertanks deserve some love. even if it just transformed between vehicle and gerwalk mode, i'll be happy.

btw, what scale were the matchbox hovertanks?

It would be very cool. You know the Hovertanks are tiny right? They're not even close to VF-1s which are tiny planes, I don't think.

BTW... this is off topic... gonna move to OTHER ANIME section pretty soon... ;)

Well getting back on topic, if anyone has a loose hovertank that they want to sell or donate let me know.

I would rather have one that is pretty banged up in order to diconstruct it and see what I have to change.

I am gona go ahead and start collecting images for the turn around drawing.

My brother is a 3D animator so maybe he can help me there, but I won't count on it.

I have seen people scale stuff up before this is kindof similar.

What I would call "a pick up with changes" in my line of work.

Thanks,

Stop socializing people lets get back on topic! JK LOL

No... I meant it's not Macross related... the thread itself is fine...

Scaling up? The Hovertank Toy itself is pretty big. It's off scale about 1:18. Like I said a 1/60 Hovetank will be about 5 1/2 to 6 inches length in Hovertank mode and maybe 9" in 1/48. That's just a guess. It's funny how lucky anime humans are that they keep getting attacked by aliens that have mechs that are the same height as earth's transforming robots.

No... I meant it's not Macross related... the thread itself is fine...

Scaling up? The Hovertank Toy itself is pretty big. It's off scale about 1:18. Like I said a 1/60 Hovetank will be about 5 1/2 to 6 inches length in Hovertank mode and maybe 9" in 1/48. That's just a guess. It's funny how lucky anime humans are that they keep getting attacked by aliens that have mechs that are the same height as earth's transforming robots.

Which hovertank are you guys talking about? Which anime was it from?

I would like to see the hovertank scratchbuilt for sure. Always wanted a Revoltech of just the 'battroid mode' - that would be sweet and highly unlikely.

How do we get someone like John Moscato to try his hand at this sculpt after the Glaug is complete?

For me -- an ABSOLUTE MUST is the canopy they developed later for space that covers the pilot. I can't stand the 'open air' stupidity of the early tank and guardian modes where the pilot is totally exposed.

(we should rename this thread 'petition for hovertank scratch build')

Yes I agree with all of you! Who is up for the challenge of taking this project on for real!

I want to do it but I really can't see myself doing it, No time, no skill, no resources.

The only reason I would scale it up would be because why make it the same scale as the original and everything is better in a large scale. Good example, I have a 1/6 scale Kaneda's Bike! Its freakin Huge! And Freakin Bad A$$! Next to the Bandai 1/15 scale it is very impressive!