REVIEW: YAMATO 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru T.V. Ver.2

Shaorin

Miss_Shao_as_Lynn_Minmay_1_by_Shaor.jpg

-my Waifu, Lady Shao, at MWCON 2010, cosplaying as Lynn Minmay from MACROSS: DYRL alongside the new 1/8 fully variable VF-1 that seems to be the object of many MACROSS fans' wettest dreams. available on custom order from YAMATO's website for $9,595.48 per copy.

Pure Perfection.

well, i just got this beauty a couple days back, and i can tell you, with absolute confidence, that this is the single greatest depiction of Kawamori-San's Magnum-Opus ever conceived in three dimensions.

no joke, it is, in a word, PERFECTION ITSELF. fit and finish is like no other toy or model i've ever seen. the balance of design is PERFECT, IN ALL THREE MODES.

everything fits tighter than a drum, no floppiness of any kind, feels built to last, and the transformation is smooth as silk.

this beauty is a personal dream come true, a FRANKLIN-MINT like precision scale replica of the venerable VF-1 Valkyrie such as i've dreamed about for the last fifteen years, only to be repeatedly let down numerous times throughout those years.

this little wonder, however, handily makes up for all of it!! it's taken some time and some heartbreak for YAMATO to finally figure things out, but BOY, was it ever worth the wait!! this is it; THE dream, at last taken physical form...

********************************************************************************

********************************************************************************

-PLEASE NOTE-

you may find some difficulty in fitting the swing bar into the cavity during transformation into BATTROID MODE, and some difficulty in sliding the cockpit shield back during transformation into FIGHTER MODE.

that is because the entire cockpit/nose module slides in and out, and must be pulled out a little ways when switching to FIGHTER MODE, in order to allow the chest panel to clear it,

and pushed in all the way when switching to BATTROID MODE, to compact the torso properly and allow the hip bar to fit home in the cavity.

-FIGHTER MODE-

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John.jpg

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John1.jpg

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John2.jpg

-GERWALK MODE-

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John4.jpg

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John3.jpg

-BATTROID MODE-

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John5.jpg

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John6.jpg

SERIOUSLY, every MACROSS fan with an affinity for the VF-1 series NEEDS to get themselves a copy of this new Ver.2 1/60 VF-1, in their favorite version/color scheme, of course. please trust me, IT IS JUST THAT GOOD.

Edited by Shaorin

around the same time that i bought this incredible work of art on EBAY, i also picked up a copy of the first issue of the MACROSS CHRONICLE magazine. it is a perfect complement to this particular VF-1;

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John8.jpg

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John9.jpg

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John10.jpg

VF-1JYAMATO1-60John7.jpg

Who the fuk is lady shao?

And that's not what I'd call a review.

okay, what WOULD you call a review, then? i honestly cannot think of anything i missed. please, we're all passionate fans here, let's try to treat each other with respect...

Edited by Shaorin

okay, what WOULD you call a review, then? i honestly cannot think of anything i missed. please, we're all passionate fans here, let's try to treat each other with respect...

Well for starters, I'd explain why lady shao (whoever that is) is wearing clothes that belong to a US$800 figure, then I'd probably go into a little more depth than "it's perfect go out and buy one of these now" Also, you say you've been repeatedly let down over the past 15 years, what exactly was so unsatisfactory about the 1/48?

Well for starters, I'd explain why lady shao (whoever that is) is wearing clothes that belong to a US$800 figure, then I'd probably go into a little more depth than "it's perfect go out and buy one of these now" Also, you say you've been repeatedly let down over the past 15 years, what exactly was so unsatisfactory about the 1/48?

EVERYTHING, when in direct comparison to this new 1/60. the 1/48 is still a fine model, and i have owned two of them since they first hit U.S. importers back in 2002, but fine as it is, the new 1/60 outshines it, rather adroitly highlighting everything wrong with the 1/48 in stark relief. trust me on this; i know the 1/48 like the back of my own hand, and this 1/60 simply blows it away. oh, and my little Shao is wearing a hand made replica of Minmay's DRYL outfit. i happen to be a doll seamstress of nearly a decade's experience. you can see my other works here:

http://shaorin-chan.deviantart.com/?loggedin=1

Edited by Shaorin

EVERYTHING, when in direct comparison to this new 1/60. the 1/48 is still a fine model, and i have owned two of them since they first hit U.S. importers back in 2002, but fine as it is, the new 1/60 outshines it, rather adroitly highlighting everything wrong with the 1/48 in stark relief. trust me on this; i know the 1/48 like the back of my own hand, and this 1/60 simply blows it away...

What do you mean by "everything" is better for 1/60?

Is the 1/60 bigger too? ^_^ More gimmicks?

Just wish to state a point that for a proper review, you need to be more explicit.

If you didn't say review but just photo sharing, people would have different expectations and fewer comments (complaints).

Yes what she said, have some respect you animals.

If you dont like a thread, NOBODY CARES THAT YOU DON'T LIKE IT. Don't waste your time posting it, and mine having to reading it.

Shaorin, your review is fine and agree.. its a great figure, I hope to pick it up soon!

Yes what she said, have some respect you animals.

If you dont like a thread, NOBODY CARES THAT YOU DON'T LIKE IT. Don't waste your time posting it, and mine having to reading it.

:lol:

If you did it on purpose to demonstrate "contradictive action", you did a great job.

Man, it's difficult to read this "review". Are you foreign (meaning just moved to the States)?

And "my Waifu, Lady Shao"... does that imply that she's your "wife"? I'm really confused here. Well... if the poster is a lady then I'd suggest going easy on her. I mean, you don't get many ladies/girls/chicks posting on a guy's toy forum so we shouldn't do anything to chase them away.

Anyways, can't wait till the 1/60 VF-1's that I want go on sale so I can do a review one day too.

what, pray tell, would constitute a "Review" then? my consentual agreement that it sucks total ass just because it's smaller than the 1/48?! sorry, but i feel no overt desire to lie. like i said, i've lived with 1/48s for nearly ten years, and know them like a best friend.

please take that expierience into account when i tell you, without reservation, that this new design blows the 1/48 away, scale be damned. proportions are FAR better, tolerances are tighter, QC is better. diecast and POM plastic are used on all the high-stress areas, giving the whole assembly a solid, sturdy feel.

hell, a PAPERCLIP is no longer even needed for those hip swing bar cavity plugs, as they swing around very freely in there, and the simple act of moving the plane around in your hand will cause them to swing themselves home when opened!!

GUYS, I'M TELLING YOU; this new 1/60 is, in fact, THE most perfect three-dimensional rendition of the venerable VF-1 Valkyrie to date. and that, dear sirs, is a fact...

Edited by Shaorin

Thanks for your photos and review. I'm waiting eagerly for my LV Roy 1S. :)

It'll be the 1st VF1 I have in 1/60. So far, all I have are the more advanced models (22, 21, 19, 11) :p

yeah, i'm looking forward to getting the PLUS valks myself. the VF-1 is my first love, but not the only one, not by a longshot!

i'll first be getting a VF-11B, as i am looking forward to that greatly, what with being a very disappointed early adopter of the infamous, fragile 1/72 VF-11B Ver.1.

the YF-19 and 21 however, will be totally new undiscovered country for me, though. i look forward to them with anticipation. gee, i can't think of a better time to be a MACROSS fan!!

Edited by Shaorin

yeah, i'm looking forward to getting the PLUS valks myself. the VF-1 is my first love, but not the only one, not by a longshot!

i'll first be getting a VF-11B, as i am looking forward to that greatly, what with being a very disappointed early adopter of the infamous, fragile 1/72 VF-11B Ver.1.

the YF-19 and 21 however, will be totally new undiscovered country for me, though. i look forward to them with anticipation. gee, i can't think of a better time to be a MACROSS fan!!

My order of preference wrt the plus models in terms of toy QC: YF21, YF19 black version (because I got this on 30% discount sale from HLJ), YF22 (lovely grey-purple color, but the 21 comes with more stuff at only 3000yen more (a stand and the fast packs), VF11B (small compared to the 19/21, same size as the VF1 but priced like the 19/21. But it comes with the fast pack...could be cheaper though...)

QC wise, I'm lucky. All are alright. There are minor issues but nothing I could not correct with a little bit of touch up with acrylic paint. ^_^

I would love to show some pictures. But I don't have a digicam. No budget for them after buying the Macross stuff. :p

My order of preference wrt the plus models in terms of toy QC: YF21, YF19 black version (because I got this on 30% discount sale from HLJ), YF22 (lovely grey-purple color, but the 21 comes with more stuff at only 3000yen more (a stand and the fast packs), VF11B (small compared to the 19/21, same size as the VF1 but priced like the 19/21. But it comes with the fast pack...could be cheaper though...)

QC wise, I'm lucky. All are alright. There are minor issues but nothing I could not correct with a little bit of touch up with acrylic paint. ^_^

I would love to show some pictures. But I don't have a digicam. No budget for them after buying the Macross stuff. :p

yeah, my current digicam is a low-end FUJIFILM from 2003. i plan soon, however, to be replacing it with a NIKON D-5000 DSLR:

3653187533_9648de7f5a_o.jpg

Whoa, I didn't know you're into sexy dolls also. Well, you're cool in my books now :lol:. I only have a Canon DS126071 EOS Digital Rebel XT 8, but it does the job (coincidentally, I took the photo below with my low-end FujiFilm camera).

dolls.jpg

PVC figures are one thing... But to be honest, I've never been able to appreciate dolls, western or japanese and of any size/scale. Just too creepy. Theres some uncanny valley for you.

Edited by Cent

the VF-1 is my first love, but not the only one, not by a longshot!

In that case, you'd probably like the VF-0S that was re-released back in December last year. I've got one on the way myself, and I can't wait to have it displayed next to my 1/60 V2.0 Roy VF-1S.

-Kyp

yeah, my current digicam is a low-end FUJIFILM from 2003. i plan soon, however, to be replacing it with a NIKON D-5000 DSLR:

If you're considering getting the D5000, I would highly recommend taking a look at the Canon t1i. the t1i is only $50 dollars more and is arguably the better camera. It has a higher resolution sensor; lower high ISO noise; better live view and video functions; and a bigger, higher resolution screen. If this is your first SLR and compatibility with lens/flash units you already have isn't an issue, I'd highly recommend the t1i. If you absolutely MUST have a Nikon, spend the extra money and get the D90. the D90 gives you a better viewfinder and a bigger, better screen in a better built body. also the D90 has an internal motor so it works with all F-mount AF lenses, unlike the D5000 which only works with AF-I and AF-S lenses.

personally, I looked at all three and ended up going with the Canon 50D instead. It had slightly better performance than the D90 in a few areas (sensor resolution, continuous shooting speed, etc, etc.), but Mostly I liked it because I preferred the look, feel and UI of Canon cameras.

Also I like Canon Lenses better than Nikon's. I love the USM auto focus motor and I think Canon image stabilization is better than Nikon vibration reduction (also there's nothing cooler than a big, white L-series telephoto :wub:).

Whoa, I didn't know you're into sexy dolls also. Well, you're cool in my books now :lol:. I only have a Canon DS126071 EOS Digital Rebel XT 8, but it does the job (coincidentally, I took the photo below with my low-end FujiFilm camera).

everyone loves sexy dolls. :D (picture taken with my awesome 50D, GO CANON!)

IMG_5279.jpg

dolls.jpg

dolls2.png

i'd take this little sweetie♥ especially if she had a cute little frilly Bra and Panties♥ on to match her sweet little innocent frilly socks♥... she's a Lady, after all...

OH!!!! AHEM... now that' i'm out of my little Hentai reverie, here's my 1J, with decals applied:

DSCF2338.jpg

DSCF2339.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

• 3 weeks later...

DSCF2569.jpg

^_^ two weeks of ownership, and dozens of transformations later, and she's still looking good and holding tight! folks, i think we have a WINNER here... ^_^

Edited by Shaorin

If you're considering getting the D5000, I would highly recommend taking a look at the Canon t1i. the t1i is only $50 dollars more and is arguably the better camera. It has a higher resolution sensor; lower high ISO noise; better live view and video functions; and a bigger, higher resolution screen. If this is your first SLR and compatibility with lens/flash units you already have isn't an issue, I'd highly recommend the t1i. If you absolutely MUST have a Nikon, spend the extra money and get the D90. the D90 gives you a better viewfinder and a bigger, better screen in a better built body. also the D90 has an internal motor so it works with all F-mount AF lenses, unlike the D5000 which only works with AF-I and AF-S lenses.

personally, I looked at all three and ended up going with the Canon 50D instead. It had slightly better performance than the D90 in a few areas (sensor resolution, continuous shooting speed, etc, etc.), but Mostly I liked it because I preferred the look, feel and UI of Canon cameras.

Also I like Canon Lenses better than Nikon's. I love the USM auto focus motor and I think Canon image stabilization is better than Nikon vibration reduction (also there's nothing cooler than a big, white L-series telephoto :wub:).

everyone loves sexy dolls. :D (picture taken with my awesome 50D, GO CANON!)

The D90, on the other had, has better signal to noise ratio, better ISO performance, better color saturation and reproduction. Which is to say, while you can take slightly more shots per second with you 50D, it'll be grainier. :p

The D90, on the other had, has better signal to noise ratio, better ISO performance, better color saturation and reproduction. Which is to say, while you can take slightly more shots per second with you 50D, it'll be grainier. :p

You know, I've heard that argument a lot, but having looked at pictures form both cameras side by side, you really don't get a noticeable difference in noise until you're at such high ISO's that both cameras start turning out crap pictures anyways.

It's sort of like arguing that broccoli farts are stink less than gas station burrito farts. :lol:

You know, I've heard that argument a lot, but having looked at pictures form both cameras side by side, you really don't get a noticeable difference in noise until you're at such high ISO's that both cameras start turning out crap pictures anyways.

It's sort of like arguing that broccoli farts are stink less than gas station burrito farts. :lol:

uh huh, just keep telling yourself that. :p