Uploaded pictures from old post no longer show, anyway to get them back?

Demonwarp9

Edit:  This thread is old and It took me a while to find it. Wanted to find the pictures I took back then but only one is showing.  Is there anyway to retrieve the rest of the photos that were uploaded when the post was created? Probably not but I thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks.

This is my first model build in about 15 years. My picture taking skills at the Macro level suck, so please bear with me.

Bought me an Iwata airbrush to try to get a more detailed look, and to speed up the entire process.

Mostly used polyscale paints. Alclad II for the feet and lasers and main cannon.

I am trying to go for a weathered and beat up look, its somewhat hard to see in the photos. I always weather to much for most peoples taste, but I dig the old beat up look.

One thing about this kit that really sucked was that the decals were all old and yellow and if you look close most of them were not even close to the right size! I had to trim them up and I screwed up a couple. The long red

arm decals were different width's and the shoulder triangles were not even the same shape as the raised triangle piece on the shoulder, I tried to make them fit but it came out kinda janky, the decals were a total let down.

If anyone has any good hints at realistic battle damage I am all ears.

Any feedback would be apprecieted. I am currently working on a Hasagawa VF-1A. I might start taking pics of the build process if I can find the time.

Kinda Ungangly, but here he is!

HPIM0720.JPG

Done! Cannot see much detail tho:

HPIM0716.JPG

HPIM0721.JPG

HPIM0723.JPG

HPIM0725.JPG

HPIM0727.JPG

HPIM0729.JPG

HPIM0734.JPG

!! Not a bad build for a cheap BanDai 1/72 kit!!

Oh and here is the back:

HPIM0717.JPG

HPIM0730.JPG

Edited by Demonwarp9

Hey thanks for sharing, I think you did that old kit justice, looks like a good job to me. I never did like that kit, proportions are all funny but it's a good one for practicing on before you move on to anything more complicated and expensive.

Looks like you did an oil wash on him to bring out the details too, looks good man.

Wow thanks for the compliments!

You are correct I wanted to get some practice in before moving onto the Hasagawa kit.

I really wanted some experiance with the airbrush as well, figured if I screwed this one up it would be a minor loss.

As far as this kit goes the build was pretty tough.The seams on the old kit were a bit of a pain in the ass, especially the legs. I also agree the proportions are a little off, but he is decent looking none the less!

Oh and yes I did do a "wash" I used the old polyscale with distilled water and dawn dish soap wash, think I used gunship grey.

Thanks again guys!

Edited by Demonwarp9

I'd say you did an excellent and unbelievably clean job! You really made this old kit shine. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is nowhere near your first built model, right? Just first Macross model?

Well, its not my first model, but its been so long it felt like I had to re-learn everything,but you are correct, it is my first Macross model. I used to do military aircraft quite a bit in Jr high and High School. I looked at alot of the build ups on this website and used some of their tricks and tips. This model would probably take the more experienced guys here a week or less to build, it took me over a month.

Thanks for the kind words!

Edited by Demonwarp9

You know I did not realize this was really a classic till after I purchased the kit off ebay.

I recently bought the complete macross dvd set off amazon. I always wanted to see the original after watching robotech back in the 80's. I did not really realize that the bandai kit was older untill I received it and the hasagawa battroid kits.

Im not sure what you mean by updating the hands, they are the ones that came with the bandai model? Thanks for the props tho!

I think we all agree that Hasegawa Macross kits are superior, but when I see the old Bandai kits, I realize that given a proper paintjob, they really do look awesome in their own way.

Nice job!

It's great to see another person back in the modeling fold. We have a nice finishing forum over at starshipmodeler.net Some of the guys here are also members there.

Battle damage is really difficult to simulate well - but scorching and some "roughing-up" is certainly doable with a moto-tool and airbrush.

Im not sure what you mean by updating the hands, they are the ones that came with the bandai model? Thanks for the props tho!

I seem to recall the ones I built back in the early 80s had much rounder 'super-robot' styled fists. That one's hands look more squared, like they've been since the VF-1 design was tweaked after DYRL.

Perhaps Bandai updated the hand parts a bit when they took possession of the kit's tooling from Imai?

Is this an Imai or Bandai edition?

• 7 years later...