This is freaking horrible!!

Just read this on Anime News Network. The performer who sang the opening song to Gunbuster as well as many other anime titles is listed as missing. I certainly hope no foul play came to her. Here is the report so far:

38-year-old singer and actress Noriko Sakai remains missing, four days after her husband had been arrested for alleged drug possession in Tokyo on Monday. The couple's 10-year-old son was discovered safe and in good health in Tokyo Thursday night. The son had been left in the care of a friend of Sakai.

Police had traced Sakai's mobile phone signal to the central Japanese prefecture of Yamanashi before the signal stopped on Tuesday night. Neither Sakai's family nor her managing agency has heard from her since Monday, after police said they stopped her husband Yuichi Takaso on the street and found illegal stimulants during a search.

In addition to her mainstream singing and acting career, Sakai performed the theme songs in Gunbuster, Video Girl Ai, and Anime Sanjushi. She also played roles in the live-action Juon: The Grudge 2 film and the Soreike! Anpanman: Gomira no Hoshi anime, and narrated the Pikachu and Pichu short.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Okay, an update. Seems like she is in trouble. Maybe. Another news report.

Police obtain arrest warrant on missing actress Sakai

TOKYO, Aug. 7 KYODO News

Police obtained an arrest warrant on missing actress Noriko Sakai on suspicion of violation of the stimulant drugs control act, following the arrest of her husband over drug possession earlier this week, investigative sources said Friday. Sakai, 38, who made her debut in 1986 in a TV drama and released her first record the next year, gained popularity in Asian countries, including China, Taiwan and Hong Kong, in the 1990s. The Tokyo police found a small amount of drugs in her home, the sources said. Her husband, self-claimed professional surfer Yuichi Takaso, 41, was arrested Monday after a police officer found a plastic bag containing stimulant drugs in his underwear in Tokyo's Shibuya district. Sakai was summoned to the arrest site, but she refused the police request to come to a police station on a voluntary basis. She and her 10-year-old son went missing since then, but her son was found safe Thursday in Tokyo at an acquaintance's home. Radio signals had been picked up from her cellphone in Yamanashi Prefecture but disappeared Tuesday evening. Sakai married Takaso in 1998.

Okay, an update. Seems like she is in trouble. Maybe. Another news report.

That report doesn't seem to say anything more than the first one did...

My gut feeling is that she's on the run, trying to escape the cops. In other words, I doubt she was kidnapped or anything...she's probably safe, but she's probably looking at a few years of jail time, unfortunately.

This has been on the TV news non-stop over here. I didn't know it was the same Noriko Sakai who did all those anime shows, though, I just didn't put the two together for some reason.

The thing that I found interesting is that she took her 10-year-old son with her...whom they found last night -- apparently she had asked an "acquaintance" to take care of him for a while. So her whereabouts are still unknown. :mellow:

She's had plenty of ups and downs, there were rumours her marriage was on the rocks, not to mention her father dying some years back and also her boss committed suicide at some point...

I don't exactly know very much about her, but she is apparently well-known and loved over here so I hope she's OK, and doesn't do anything stupid.

EDIT -- Hey, didn't she actually *play* the role of Noriko Takaya in the anime? Or was that somebody else?

Edited by Renato

This has been on the TV news non-stop over here. I didn't know it was the same Noriko Sakai who did all those anime shows, though, I just didn't put the two together for some reason.

The thing that I found interesting is that she took her 10-year-old son with her...whom they found last night -- apparently she had asked an "acquaintance" to take care of him for a while. So her whereabouts are still unknown. :mellow:

She's had plenty of ups and downs, there were rumours her marriage was on the rocks, not to mention her father dying some years back and also her boss committed suicide at some point...

I don't exactly know very much about her, but she is apparently well-known and loved over here so I hope she's OK, and doesn't do anything stupid.

EDIT -- Hey, didn't she actually *play* the role of Noriko Takaya in the anime? Or was that somebody else?

Noriko Hidaka as Noriko Takaya

If Noriko Hidaka did drugs, her Onee sama would come kick her ass!

I would comment profusely since I have strong views on this issue, but unfortunately I would be breaking the rules... so...hm... how to say this...

crap.

there is no way to say it.

she and her husband should be free.

that's the best I can do.

No further comment. Interpret that for what it's worth :(

Pete

I do like Nori-P's songs and concerts. I actually flew to see her Farewell concert in year 2000(?) in Hong Kong. I need to check my passport to confirm the year. My memory's ain;t as good as it once was. :p

I still have a Laser Disc of her 1995(?) Stellar concert.

She was immersely popular in Singapore after acting as a mute in Heaven's Coins. She actually herald the 2nd wave of the J-drama craze in Singapore. The 1st wave was during the early 80s with the drama called Oshin.

I do hope she doesn't do anything silly (like committing suicide). All those signs about leaving her son under the care of an acquaintance doesn't sound good...

Yeah, this has been the huge scandal of the week. The conversations i've had over this latest scandal are funny.

Friend-"Alex! Did you hear that Noriko Sakai is missing? OMG!!! WTF!!!"

ME-"Yeah, I did. What is she famous for again?"

Friend-"Fu@%ed if I know :mellow: .................................... :huh: what?"

Edited by Alex

Yeah, this has been the huge scandal of the week. The conversations i've had over this latest scandal are funny.

Friend-"Alex! Did you hear that Noriko Sakai is missing? OMG!!! WTF!!!"

ME-"Yeah, I did. What is she famous for again?"

Friend-"Fu@%ed if I know :mellow: .................................... :huh: what?"

Good to hear drug users are being punished. Japan definately has old school drug laws, one of the things I like about it here. Maybe this story will convince other users in Japan to flush their stash and go straight.

FWIW, she appears to have surrendered to the police.

News Article

Are you a Singaporean? I'm surprised someone actually linked to Channel News Asia.

Nothing wrong. Just surprised. I didn't think CNA was popular outside Singapore. ^_^

Back on topic:

I'm glad Noriko's alright. Still looking radiant I see. I still don't understand why she'll hook up with a loser like her husband. With her talents and looks, she can get any better man she wants.

Then again, who am I to judge about love? :unsure: Sorry I spoke my mind.

BTW, on 7th Aug 2009, nobody bothered that Michael Douglas's son Cameron, was arrested for being a drug dealer. :lol:

Michael Douglas' son charged with drug dealing:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ent.../447551/1/.html

Edited by blacklotus