if that live action robotech flick DOES happen, what will happen with

pondo

do you think we might get a new VF-1 over here?

If we did, it'll be something redesigned to fit the Robotech need and not be based off of Macross, it'll more than likely be a lazy piece of poo that could potentially be a rip off of some other anime.

Would Yamato make one in Japan?

Why would they? Yamato has no rights to Robotech. It'll be Toyanmi that'll make the toy line and mark it up to 200 bucks a pop for something small, with quality issues.

who's got the license for this stuff?

Harmony Gold, ADV and Toynami.

I have the license for all of it and I have strictly forbiden the word "Robotech" from ever being used again ANYWHERE under punishment of 5 years of hard labor at the North Pole.

Pete

yes. I understand that the use of the word robotech is looked down upon here. Not everyone thinks the same. (however, I am not a fan)

BUT that doesn't change the fact that this will affect VF-1 figures from being released.

I don't care what it says on the package, if it's a cool VF-1 or Macross, I want it.

yes. I understand that the use of the word robotech is looked down upon here. Not everyone thinks the same.

Where? On the Robotech forums?

BUT that doesn't change the fact that this will affect VF-1 figures from being released.

First, the movie risks to never be made. Secondly, true, but who would want a VF-1WW with 7 turrets on the head? :p

I don't care what it says on the package, if it's a cool VF-1 or Macross, I want it.

Did you read this forums guide which states that this place is only about OFFICIAL MACROSS products? :p

I smell lockage... :mellow:

That's really too bad. Elitism is the biggest problem with this forum. Especially with the lockages. Yeah, robotech is crap, but it's till part of the history macross. It's a blemish, but you can't deny it.

what if we locked threads about macross toys we didn't like?

Edited by pondo

"Section III: Robotech

Robotech may be discussed only as it relates to Macross. We do not want this forum to be another Robotech site. Macross World and its forums are dedicated to the original Japanese vision of Macross before Robotech changed so many aspects of it."

that's what I'm doing here.

Well... technically there is a thread discussing Toynami's VF-1 - but that's only because Toynami itself says those are DYRL VF-1s and doesn't label them as Robotech (unless I'm mistaken).

But your question refers to a possible Robotech toys from the possible Robotech movie, ergo not a Macross toy :)

In any event - I hope the movie isn't made and would not want the toys if it was.

Pete

EDIT:

That's really too bad. Elitism is the biggest problem with this forum. Especially with the lockages. Yeah, robotech is crap, but it's till part of the history macross. It's a blemish, but you can't deny it.

what if we locked threads about macross toys we didn't like?

Well ... so far nobody's locked the thread. Maybe it'll stay open - but again - I think the idea is that this section is supposed to deal with only Macross toys. Looking at precedent, all threads posted here about Masterpiece Robotech toys and Toynami Robotech toys were locked... So I'm guessing this one will be too...

It's not a matter of elitism. It's just a matter of posting the thread in the right place.

There's a thread discussing Robotech/HG stuff where there's also discussion of the Robotech movie and related matters...

I think there might have even been (is?) a Robotech live action movie thread?

Edited by VFTF1

Well... technically there is a thread discussing Toynami's VF-1 - but that's only because Toynami itself says those are DYRL VF-1s and doesn't label them as Robotech (unless I'm mistaken).

But your question refers to a possible Robotech toys from the possible Robotech movie, ergo not a Macross toy :)

In any event - I hope the movie isn't made and would not want the toys if it was.

Pete

EDIT:

Well ... so far nobody's locked the thread. Maybe it'll stay open - but again - I think the idea is that this section is supposed to deal with only Macross toys. Looking at precedent, all threads posted here about Masterpiece Robotech toys and Toynami Robotech toys were locked... So I'm guessing this one will be too...

It's not a matter of elitism. It's just a matter of posting the thread in the right place.

There's a thread discussing Robotech/HG stuff where there's also discussion of the Robotech movie and related matters...

I think there might have even been (is?) a Robotech live action movie thread?

Well, I had heard that the movie was only going to focus on "the macross saga" part. And I really don't care about the movie at all. but I did want to talk about the potential new VF-1's that might come out with this film (if it even happens)

So I figgered I was in the right forum.

do you think we might get a new VF-1 over here? Would Yamato make one in Japan?

who's got the license for this stuff?

Well if a Robotech live-action does miraculously happen, it likely will not feature the VF-1 designed by Kawamori.

Even if it does, it means nothing for Yamato. Yamato has a license with Big West for "Macross" and its mecha.

Robotech is a Harmony Gold product. Just because Robotech uses the VF-1 in the cartoon series or a new movie means nothing. Yamato has no connection or license with Harmony Gold and it's Robotech product.

Any new Robotech product will be released by a maker of Harmony Gold's choosing. Highly unlikely to be a Japanese company like Yamato or Bandai.

Edited by Vifam7

I like Robotech and I like Macross. Robotech introduced me to Macross and that led me here. I really don't understand this vitrolic hate for Robotech, it really makes me scratch my head. Sure Harmony Gold took three different shows, adapted the story lines, toned some things down (some may say dumbed them down, but hey, that's up for disscussion). As a fan of Robotech I look at some Macross stuff and think, pfffft, whatever. For example, I refuse to use the embarrassing name GERWALK - and, yes I know what it stands for - I prefer Guardian, however, I ( outside of this posting - or unless I slip ) won't mention the name Guardian again.

As, what an I getting at? I was excited when I hear the news that Robotech might be made into a movie. Excitement and dread. I found my eyes turning skyward and hoping "They" don't screw it up. Either way, I suppose we will see what we see, huh?

Let the flaming and/or banning begin.

I think most of the anger at Harmony Gold has very little to do with Robotech and more to do with what they have been doing more recently insofar as threatening retailers and trying to stop people selling and purchasing Macross products.

As for the name Gerwalk... what is so embarassing about it? :)

Pete

If it ever gets made, I predict it will likely be on par with the GI Joe movie in how they "reboot" the property. Lots of flash, zero substance, and resembling the source material very very little if at all. Jar-Jar Binks and those awful "urban" transformer twins come to mind. Hell, why not a talking robot dog? With 'attitude'? The more characters to slap on a slurpee cup the better, right?

Ugh. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, and I'll give it the benefit of the doubt if it looks even halfway decent. My cynicism alert is flashing bright red on this one, though.

Back OT, there's zero chance of a VF-1 being featured. Not to drag up the whole licensing dispute (ducks), but I don't think Big West would stand for it, and HG's legal position doesn't seem as defensible as it once may have been or they'd like you to believe. If nothing else, it could get held up in the courts indefinitely, as almost happened to Watchmen if you'll recall, and I'm sure BW would just love to poke HG in the eye given the chance.

Yeah, I understand HG has been playing the bully. Corporate greed, my friends. Shame. As for GERWALK... well, I imagine some high stress situation, enemy closing in, and I say,"Don't worry, I'll stop them with my VT in GERWALK mode!" It just sounds... weird. The other G word sounds so much cooler.

I think most of the anger at Harmony Gold has very little to do with Robotech and more to do with what they have been doing more recently insofar as threatening retailers and trying to stop people selling and purchasing Macross products.

As for the name Gerwalk... what is so embarassing about it? :)

Pete

cool.

See... and now we're getting into exactly the discussion that is ongoing in the Robotech/HG license thread - where all of this is being covered... in fact - if I recall - there was even discussion of what a live action VF-1 would look like, whether it would/could be called a VF-1 etc etc. It's all in a pre-existing and still open (and pinned) thread.

Also - forgive me for being a horrible party pooper - but this thread title is horrible:

if that live action robotech flick DOES happen, what will happen with

it doesn't suggest anything...it's like me opening a thread in the toy section that reads:

"If Macross Frontier is good, what will happen with"

or

"If it rains on Teusday, I will go to"

Pete

(going to get beat up for being a grouch...I know...)

Edit:

I imagine some high stress situation, enemy closing in, and I say,"Don't worry, I'll stop them with my VT in GERWALK mode!" It just sounds... weird. The other G word sounds so much cooler.

Gaurdian technically does have a nice ring to it; I'll give you that. But since I watch Macross in the Japanese original, without dubs, and with subs, then I am also more used to hearing words like Gerwalk spoken with Japanese words/sentences around them.

And since I don't understand any of the Japanese anyways - it all sounds "strange" to me - Gerwalk + everything else.

But since Gerwalk actually means something (aka it's shorthand for a longer technical name) - then I accept that.

And finally - what is the logic behind calling it a Guardian anyways? Can't it "gaurd" thing in Battroid mode just as easily?

Edited by VFTF1

well, I think this all answers my question regarding a VF-1 toy.

Which kind of sucks that I won't see a live action old school valkyrie.

It's like when they remade Galactica. The one rule they had was that they needed to keep the old school viper. (although slightly redesigned)

Also - forgive me for being a horrible party pooper - but this thread title is horrible:

it doesn't suggest anything...it's like me opening a thread in the toy section that reads:

"If Macross Frontier is good, what will happen with"

or

"If it rains on Teusday, I will go to"

Pete

(going to get beat up for being a grouch...I know...)

well....I wasn't aware that the last part of my thread title would be cut off. The other forums in which I'm part of allow for much longer titles.

.I wasn't aware that the last part of my thread title would be cut off. The other forums in which I'm part of allow for much longer titles

Same here - it's just that you get to add to your title in a kind of "sub-title" or "sub-heading" sort of thingy.

Pete