I liked it, Not great... but not Bad either, Although I must admit Doctor Rush reminds me of Gaius Baltar for some reason.

Will be fun to see where this new Stargate series goes!! B))

I think it the long hair though Carlyle is from Ireland and Callis is English they have deferent accents.

I wouldn't say Rush is a Baltar clone. Baltar at least had moral scrupple which he ignored. No Rush resembles more of a Dr. Smith of Lost in Space.

O'Neil posited a good question. How did the Lucian Alliance found out about Icarus? I'm thinking ther may be a spy or traitor among the survivors.

I like that it has one big break from the other SG shows and from ST and BSG... there's really no clear leader. Even the civilians aren't rallying around any single flag. I wonder how long they'll keep the idea of infighting factions alive.

I think it the long hair though Carlyle is from Ireland

Are u refering to Carlyle's character or the actor, cos hes scottish in real life, hes from a town just up the road from my town. :lol:

I'm really wanting to see this new series, i'm a stargate fan and have enjoyed all the stuff thats come out so far. But i'll have to get the dvds instead cos i don't have satelite tv :(

Are u refering to Carlyle's character or the actor, cos hes scottish in real life, hes from a town just up the road from my town. :lol:

I'm really wanting to see this new series, i'm a stargate fan and have enjoyed all the stuff thats come out so far. But i'll have to get the dvds instead cos i don't have satelite tv :(

Sorry I was mistaken about Carlyle I have no Idea were DR Rush the Character is from unlike Atlantis no one has their Flags pined to their cloths.

Sorry about you not having access to satellite TV.

The First Episode is on HULU I don't know if you can access that sight in Scotland.

Edited by miles316

I liked it. I enjoy the way it's shot, it just oozes atmosphere. Because of the gritty set design I can understand people referencing BSG (and the knee-jerk reaction to compare anything to anything popular) but I honestly didn't see it.

The factional infighting will be interesting to watch. I enjoyed how people didn't immediatly begin working like an anthive and actually voiced their complaints. Plus Dr. Rush seems like such a magnificent bastard, and I mean that in a good way :)

Excuse me, it's not "knee jerk". There's a pretty huge stylistic shift between Universe and SG-1 and Atlantis. The two previous shows had that clean, dolly and static camera look with lots of off screen set lighting. Universe, like BSG and Firefly has tons of handheld and steadycam shots and the lighting, for the most part, comes from in camera light sources.

And here:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/09/29/stargate...-an-early-look/

The article even says the producers were influenced by BSG (as well as Lost).

and here: http://www.whedon.info/Firefly-Tv-Series-to-influence.html

Where the producers say they were trying to capture the "Firefly" look which was later adopted by BSG which the producers of that show also admit.

Edited by eugimon

I was referring more to the plots and "feel" of the show rather than the way it was shot. And that's a good thing, since I truely despise the hard-zoom that BSG employed (and abused).

And I agree that this is a huge style shift from the first two series', and that's a big plus in my book. This ship is suppsoed to be old and it does seem that way, unlike Atlantis which was so clean you'd think a cleaning crew came in after each day to scrub it down.

I was referring more to the plots and "feel" of the show rather than the way it was shot. And that's a good thing, since I truely despise the hard-zoom that BSG employed (and abused).

And I agree that this is a huge style shift from the first two series', and that's a big plus in my book. This ship is suppsoed to be old and it does seem that way, unlike Atlantis which was so clean you'd think a cleaning crew came in after each day to scrub it down.

Apologies then, when you said "I liked it. I enjoy the way it's shot, it just oozes atmosphere. Because of the gritty set design I can understand people referencing BSG (and the knee-jerk reaction to compare anything to anything popular) but I honestly didn't see it." it sounded like you were talking about the look and feel of the show which borrows pretty liberally from BSG (which borrowed liberally from Firefly).

I guess the time it airs here in the US brings back too many galactica memories, hence the association :) BSG sets yet another standard: now any show tha airs at around that time on a Friday night must be fracking awesome.

Edited by Ghost Train

Apologies then, when you said "I liked it. I enjoy the way it's shot, it just oozes atmosphere. Because of the gritty set design I can understand people referencing BSG (and the knee-jerk reaction to compare anything to anything popular) but I honestly didn't see it." it sounded like you were talking about the look and feel of the show which borrows pretty liberally from BSG (which borrowed liberally from Firefly).

Yup, which borrowed it from and that from and that from... But I was really talking about how as soon it was announced that it was "darker and edgier" that the interwebs lit up with cries of "copying BSG! Thieves! Unoriginal!" and on and on. I didn't get any of that from this first episode, and I hope the ones to come stay that course and do their own show.

Yup, which borrowed it from and that from and that from... But I was really talking about how as soon it was announced that it was "darker and edgier" that the interwebs lit up with cries of "copying BSG! Thieves! Unoriginal!" and on and on. I didn't get any of that from this first episode, and I hope the ones to come stay that course and do their own show.

true, firefly isn't the first show to use that documentary feel but it is one of the first mainstream space opera show to use it.

And I agree, if anything it was more "Lost in Space" (but blown up and made BIG) than BSG. The surface comparison to Voyager is there as well but the character motivations are so different. Voyager got lost by a sort of cosmic accident while the Universe guys got lost because of arrogance and hubris... and I really like that the heroes are portrayed more as real people instead of the usual idealized hero cookie cutter types that Stargate is usually populated by.

I read a newspaper article on SGU and it said they wanted a show thats totally different and seperate from the other "cheesy stargate shows", something "more mature and similar to BSG", in order to attract new audiences who have never seen any of the other shows. The article also said it was more of a reboot just like the new BSG. :wacko:

I watched SGU and enjoyed it quite a bit and look forward to seeing more. I never really followed the other Stargate shows but I had seen some of SG1 and don't think I have seen a full episode of Atlantis but I was able to jump into Stargate Universe pretty easily.

Anyone have an idea how big the Destiny is? To me it looks like a pretty big ship.

I read a newspaper article on SGU and it said they wanted a show thats totally different and seperate from the other "cheesy stargate shows", something "more mature and similar to BSG", in order to attract new audiences who have never seen any of the other shows. The article also said it was more of a reboot just like the new BSG. :wacko:

I dunno about that. The first season of SG-1 had the "good guys" running a reporter over with a car because he discovered the program. That's pretty mature and non-cheesy...

I'm going to wait, until I've seen a few episodes. I suspect that this show isn't going to have the humor, and inter-character banter that I always liked on the Stargate series. There's too much talk of this being inspired by the new BSG, and I didn't find BSG's relentless overplayed drama entertaining.

I watched SGU and enjoyed it quite a bit and look forward to seeing more. I never really followed the other Stargate shows but I had seen some of SG1 and don't think I have seen a full episode of Atlantis but I was able to jump into Stargate Universe pretty easily.

Anyone have an idea how big the Destiny is? To me it looks like a pretty big ship.

DestinyMap3-2.jpg

I'm giving it a tentative thumbs up. I'm not a huge Stargate fan, but I've seen a number of episodes of both SG-1 and Atlantis over the years, so I have some idea of where it's coming from.

They were definitely channeling BSG in their camera work and more mature content, but they didn't entirely toss the old Stargate feel. RDA, Amanda Tapping, and Michael Shanks all made cameo appearances to reinforce that this is the same old Stargate 'universe' (that could get confusing...) that we're familiar with. There was still humour to be found (RDA's and Shank's cameos were both played for comedic effect, and Eli seems to exist to lighten the mood).

The producers have also said they want to avoid the rubber-faced alien bad guy (their words, not mine) shtick found in previous incarnations, but I don't see this as a bad thing.

Is it a different take on the SG universe? Sure. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. The camp in the previous series could be fun, but it was also starting to get old.

It's up on Hulu for anybody that missed it.

The vibe I'm getting with Stargate Galactica is well, BSG, Lost in Space with a bit of Sliders and a brunette that looks like she should be in a Joss Whedon show thrown in. I may pick at it but I don't know if I want to go back for seconds.

the shuttles are significantly bigger than puddle jumpers just by going by the size of the cockpit alone.

Even with the Shuttles being two or three time the size of the Puddle jumpers that still does not really make the ship much bigger than the Daedalus class ship; not the Hive ship big they portray by word.

Edited by miles316