Video game company blunders

Wipeout HD?

Agreed, but I would have pointed out MGS4...I mean, that game is just flawless...

I have to bitch about Alone In the Dark. It was so hyped up, and me being a big survival horror guy, and then that piece of crap landed on 360. Funny thing is, once I sold off my 360 and bought a PS3, on a whim I bought the Inferno ver. for PS3, and was amazed how improved it was.

Edited by Excillon

Here's another blunder, this one made by Nolan Bushnell.

Not realizing that the non-compete clause in his contract with Warner Bros. was illegal when he left Atari. By law here in the United States, all non-compete agreements have to have a reasonable time limit (two years being the norm); his clause had no time limit.

Imagine all the great games that would've come out if he created a video game company two years after his split with Atari.

Oh, well. At least we now have Chuck E. Cheese's (little known fact Chuck E. Cheese's took over the old Shobiz Pizza Place building in Bolingbrook, Ill. when that company folded in the early eighties).

Er... I thought it did have a time limit? According to the book "First Quarter", Bushnell set up a new games company called Sente in about 1984, having been prevented from doing so by the clause before that. However, Sente did not replicate the success of Atari...

If that is true, then it's my mistake. The special that G4 showed on Nolan Bushnell didn't give the details of that non-compete clause. It just gave the vague statement that Bushnell singed the clause and just left it at that.

Not my first case of Foot-in-Mouth Disease :blink: .

How about Atari's blunder of backing out of the deal to distribute the Nintendo Famicom outside Japan?

Atari's blunders over the years deserve their own dedicated thread. (No, we shouldn't start one) And its sad really that its all they are often remembered for, 'cause even though i am not a particular Atari fan, I will admit that they were very important industry pioneers.

Worst Atari thing I ever endured was sitting through Atari Teenage Riot at the Big Day Out. God, they were SHITE!!!

Taksraven

NAMCO!!!! FOR NOT GIVING PS3 OWNERS ACE COMBAT 6!!!!!!! :angry:

I just want to say...

I'm agree

+1

Etc....

I'm quite happy with my old ps2, and besides the Ace Combat series the only games I play are RPG style so I'm not willing to buy a 360 for just one game.

Atari's blunders over the years deserve their own dedicated thread. (No, we shouldn't start one)

LOL. There is so much rich history there. Really though, it was the transition from Warner to the Tramiels that doomed the home-computer and console brands. The arcade division still had some good years left in it.

Now, Jack Tramiel and family - there are some extremely interesting stories there, the subject of many fascinating books.

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames. Let me explain.

This is what was promised by Pandemic, before EA took over them. We got constant updates, and were told how awesome it was gonna be:

- Cooperative Multiplayer! Play the main Mercenaries 2 campaign with the help of your friends.

Instead, we got buggy multiplayer where people are constantly dropped. Also, unlike what was said by the devs on the forums, the second player can barely get out of sight of the host.

- Play with fire! Ground breaking, general purpose fire technology lets you set fire to buildings, vehicles and people. - Shoot holes in the sides of fuel trucks, watch the oil spill under the feet of unsuspecting enemies and light it on fire with a match!

Okay, this isn't even IN the game. Anti-tank missiles cause a pre-scripted fire on trees only. Shooting fuel tanks just causes them to explode after 6 seconds.

- Travel over/under water! Don't worry about drowning ever again: use watercraft or swim to traverse the oceans, rivers and lakes of Mercenaries 2.

Until the superfast enemies find you in the water and never give up chasing you.

- Build your own Private Military Company! Increase and customize your support options by recruiting other mercenaries you meet in the game!

lolwut? There's three people that you can hire, and they simply allow you to do things from THE FIRST GAME.

- A massive, reactive, and completely unscripted game world! The world of Mercenaries 2 is larger than all of the maps of the first game combined and is jam-packed full of colorful characters and environments. And this time, every action you make has ramifications throughout the entire country.

Every NPC battle is scripted, enemies always appear in the same spots, the map only take forever to get across because helicopters are slow, and the "ramifications" are all simply plot related.

- Cool new toys! Dozens of weapons, vehicles and support options are available for to use to blow the crap out of everything! Use the new grappling hook to latch on to flying vehicles and commandeer them in the sky!

Most of the vehicles are in the first game, and helicopters are really only good for getting shot down by SAMs until you unlock the heavy ones later in the game.

- Work for the highest bidder! Clients will offer you money, information and other resources in exchange for your services – provided you haven't done anything to piss them off!

In which case it takes about 5 seconds to appease them with cash.

The game looked to be awesome until EA bought Pandemic. Then, all updates stopped and the game was rushed onto shelves.

Anyone saying anything negative about the game is banned by the forum moderators that EA put in. Scott and the other devs seem to have disappeared.

Edited by D.D. Ivanov

Gundam Crossfire, all the potential awesomeness of the Gundam franchise following up hits like the PS2 Vs series, ruined with sluggish ugly sub-launch quality gameplay. The new game looks like its built on that engine, I just hope they were able to fix it to a proper next gen+fun level that shoul dhave been there with Crossfire.

How about Atari's blunder of backing out of the deal to distribute the Nintendo Famicom outside Japan?

Actually, NINTENDO backed out of that.

It was happening in the midst of the end days at TimeWarner.

They were meeting with different people on a daily basis. No one knew what was going on, and it was a total trainwreck.

Nintendo was rapidly figuring out that, brand or no brand, Atari was NOT in a position to market their product and they were better off alone.

Shortly thereafter, the Tramiels bought Atari's home division, fired everyone, and killed the console division. All they ever wanted was the home computer division, and they wanted Commodore 2.0, not Atari Computer. So Atari WOULD have bounced it in another month.

But the actual blunder they DID get to make was killing the 7800 and shelving it for 2 years, then not supporting it properly when they DID dig it out of the warehouse and ship it.

The 7800 could've been incredible if it'd come out when it was originally supposed to, with all the accessories it was supposed to(including a high score cart for saving data!)and been given a workable budget.

Here's another blunder, this one made by Nolan Bushnell.

Not realizing that the non-compete clause in his contract with Warner Bros. was illegal when he left Atari. By law here in the United States, all non-compete agreements have to have a reasonable time limit (two years being the norm); his clause had no time limit.

Imagine all the great games that would've come out if he created a video game company two years after his split with Atari.

Indeed. Games like 1989's Secret Quest, a 2600 game that prominently advertised it was created by Nolan Bushnell on both the front and back of the box.

Not that I doubt the 360 has had a huge failure rate, but Game Informer has zero credibility. They are just a "pay us money" scam from GameStop.
I agree that Game Informer is a scam. But I'd actually bet the failure rate is even higher than they reported. Every person I know with a 360 has had it.

I agree that Game Informer is a scam. But I'd actually bet the failure rate is even higher than they reported. Every person I know with a 360 has had it.

I have a 360 and it hasn't burned out. so now you know 1 person with an okay unit. so it's only a 99% fail rate. :p

Edited by eugimon

Hahaha! Is it a V.1 or a V.2 (HDMI)? I ask because V.2's seem to be less likely to fail.

It's the first of the non elite HDMI units and it lives on top of a wire rack to ensure the bottom vents can suck in air and there's a can of compressed air that lives nearby that visits often as well... :lol:

It's the first of the non elite HDMI units and it lives on top of a wire rack to ensure the bottom vents can suck in air and there's a can of compressed air that lives nearby that visits often as well... :lol:

Thats already way more maintenance and setup than a simple game console should require. -_-

Hahaha! Is it a V.1 or a V.2 (HDMI)? I ask because V.2's seem to be less likely to fail.

HDMI isn't the first revision. It's the third, I think.

I know there was at least one motherboard/chipset change before HDMI was added. I THINK there was a second, but I'm not certain.

Mine is one of the last non-HDMI ones, and it's failed once.

Got a buddy with a launch unit that still hasn't gone down yet. No clue what dark force he channeled into it.

Edited by JB0

Thats already way more maintenance and setup than a simple game console should require. -_-

The only difference between it and the PS3 is the wire rack. The PS3 I've had to clean out more than once already because the front bottom vents sucked in so much dust... I think the finish on the PS3 makes it prone to building up a static charge and attracting dust. I have no other answer for it. On a clean glass shelf it'll get choked up with dust.

I've never had a dust build up on the 360 but I still clean it out every now and then so that I never will... :p

wow, everyone I know personally that has a 360 has had no problems with theirs (me and most of my friends have elites though).

Got a buddy with a launch unit that still hasn't gone down yet. No clue what dark force he channeled into it.

Bet he runs his AC 24/7. The dark force of the Massive Electrical Bill. :)

How you been, JBZero? Still have that foreign girl locked up in your house?

Edited by Hiriyu