1:18th Valk?

pcsguy88

With Comic Con going on and JSI showing off their 1:18 F-14 Tomcat, I was wondering what interest exists for 1:18 sci-fi birds. Obviously the price would be absurd for a 1:18 YF-19, but price has never stopped you guys before.

Would you want a static model of a Valk in jet mode or would you rather shovel a few hundy more out the window for a fully transformable one?

I have been a lurker here for many years, reading Graham's reviews and getting news on all things Macross. I was a bit shocked to see I only have 1 post in the 2yrs I've been registered. :blink: O'well, too many forums to follow, to many family obligations to take away my Internet time. I thank you guys for hitting my new site, could not believe the incoming traffic directly linked to here and thought I'd come over and try to find the post generating the traffic. Keep up the good work guys, your reviews and insider coverage to all thing Yamato keep me coming back.

Ron

I have to admit I could never stomach $200 for a single mech and have been a Masterpiece Transformers whore from the very beginning. I could not resist the YF-19 when it was released and is my most expensive piece. With the monster 1:18 fighters in the pipeline and minimum $200 a pop, I think that my spending limits are going to have to be adjusted.

I would say that were not allowed to have pics in sigs... :rolleyes:

anyways, me personally, I like everything being 1/48-1/100 scale personally, I just can't imagine finding some place to put something that big, and I like to play with my toys which would be rather hard with a toy 2.5~3 feet long.

:edit: macross toys are not something you want to get into if you don't want to shell out $200+ on a single mech. ^_^

Edited by anime52k8

At that size, is a YF-19 worth it if it can't actually fly?

Hmmm, I'll bet you could put a smoke generator in it...

I have a 3ft F-18 and have to say she is a beast. With JSI releasing a SU-27 (4ft long!) late next year, I think a YF-19 or any other Valk would be possible. A fully transformable one would be a good 5ft tall. Now that's a man toy!

I'll get the pic out of my sig.

It's a fun concept but not practical. Costs would be crazy and shipping, ouch. Not to mention that very few people would even have space for it. The dream would probably beat reality.

It's a fun concept but not practical. Costs would be crazy and shipping, ouch. Not to mention that very few people would even have space for it. The dream would probably beat reality.

The dream always wins, but seeing the 1:18 F-15 made me ponder the idea. I'm just waiting for someone to convert that baby into a MP Starscream. I would be very poor if somebody did and then sold them. Walking into my toyroom and shaking hands with Starscream would be a daily routine. Stupid economy.

Anything is possible.

20h09k5.jpg

26279qp.jpg

Edited by pcsguy88

I could see an American company like Toynami doing a 1:18 diecast fighter mode only VF-1 or Legioss.

Unlikely to be done by a Japanese company but not completely out of the realm. Afterall there was a 1:12 scale RX-78 Gundam made.

Ofcourse it did cost about $3500 dollars before shipping! Yes, that's three thousand five hundred US dollars.

Edited by Vifam7

If a company thinks there's a market for a 1/18 Valk and that they could make money I'm sure there could be a very slight chance of one being made. I would bet though that it would be of the VF-1's since they are the smallest in fighter mode (around 14m+ in length) and the most recognizable. Maybe as a model kit because I'm sure shipping for 1/18 scale jets is a nightmare. Personally I think a 1/18 scale SV-51 would be killer.

Edited by chen

If a company thinks there's a market for a 1/18 Valk and that they could make money I'm sure there could be a very slight chance of one being made. I would bet though that it would be of the VF-1's since they are the smallest in fighter mode (around 14m+ in length) and the most recognizable. Maybe as a model kit because I'm sure shipping for 1/18 scale jets is a nightmare. Personally I think a 1/18 scale SV-51 would be killer.

I agree with the VF-1 since the 1:60 YF-19 is as large as the 1:48 VF-1. Hopefully JSI will show the world 1:18 is not dead and more will be produced in time. Doesn't Votoms have 1:18 mechs with figures or are they a bit smaller? I could really get excited for something other than Star Wars or Joe in that scale.

I don't see the point of going big just for the sake of going big. If the large size allow extra detail that cannot be done on smaller scale, sure. Just to match the size of action figures... I don't know.

The Yamato Votoms are even bigger - 1:12.

Practically speaking, with the present licencing situation, if a US company wanted to make a 1/18 scale fighter mode-only Valk for sale outside of Japan, the only one they would be able to licence would be the VF-1, via HG. Also, not sure if Toynami holds a master toy licence, so it may be a case of having to negotiate with HG & work with Toynami both.

On a personal note, would I buy a 1/18 VF-1 fighter toy? If it were detailed enough perhaps, but only one. Space considerations would preclude multiples. I'd actually prefer a VF-171, VF-25 or VF-17, but as mentioned, licencing issues would preclude those.

I just realized there is a 1/18 Valk.

http://www.toyarchive.com/Robotech/st4/vehver.html

It doesn't get much better than that lol.

haha, I love that toy, more so because it has some of the stuff necessary to transform or they were just scaling up a 1/55 chunky and realized halfway through what all the extra hinges and parts were for.

Big possible problem I see with a 1/18th transforming valk is weight. True with something that size, you gain a lot of interior space for joints/hinges etc, but all that mechanism will get heavy on some valks. If you could manage to make the structure light enough, give it massively strong and versatile joints, and still give it enough weight to be sturdy, you'd probably be past that problem.

Then you're just left with where to put it. ^_^ On the plus side though, Valks are very modular, due to their transformation. Make the major assemblies separate, and you're golden. You just assemble it when you want it out, then it collapses into a nice flat box under the bed. :)

The Lego one I tried was about 1/18, and fighter mode was about 3 feet long. I dunno how tall it would've been, but if you just scale up a 1/48, battroid is a bit shorter than the fighter length, so it would probably only get to about 2 and 1/2 feet tall.

Edited by Chronocidal

I saw the bird at SDCC and all I can say is way too big. Maybe IF I had a lot more room and the thing was durable enough to be able to handle it frequently I would be interested. I could see this going the way of Yamatos 1/12 scale Scopdogs though, pretty awesome because it has some of the best in scale articulated pilot figures but generally hard to handle and/or maneuver and in earlier versions a huge floppy mess.

A transforming 1/18 YF-19 would have to have a proper aluminium frame and proper industrial joints. I can so imagine a nice CNC milled skeleton with variable pressure brakepads as joints. Of course it would probably cost as much as a small car. Such large amounts of custom cnc milled aluminium doesn't come cheap, and you would probably need a forklift to move it around.

There are 1/18 plastic aircraft display models, have most moving parts like folding landing gears, closing bay doors, control surfaces, cockpit canopy, etc. There is close to 0 metal content in them, probably some screws only, but they look really good, especially if they're well-painted and weathered.

There are also those jumbo grade Gundams, but I have no idea if they have decent articulations, but sure they're not metal.

Point is: I think you guys can forget about expensive robotics and high metal content, you may be lucky if you get a jumbo-grade type battroid, or a fighter-mode-only model in plastic.

I am a lousy model maker and collect diecast aircraft models in addition to valks, so I'd love to have a pre-painted valk model range to chose from! most of my Yamatos are in fighter mode anyway...what a waste.

You're not the first one to openly yearn for a non-TF or partially TF VF-1 in that "magic" scale...

They all thought me mad. But they'll see! They'll ALL see! *MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!*

I think it'd be managable. VF-1 in fighter mode would work out to be 32.3" long, in 1/18th scale...

Even if it only TF'd from fighter to GERWALK, it'd kick a$$ and take names.

I actually own 2 1/18 jet fighters and they're absolutely gorgeous, even a VF-25 or SV-51 would still be manageable, though humongous indeed. The F-15 has already been shown (it's a bit bigger than the VF-25!) the Su-27 is supposedly under development (and this is about the size of the SV-51)...so it is, like Graham pointed out, more a matter of licensing than technical feasibility.

For fighter mode models, there is always the option of making 1/72 diecast VF models...if it has to be big and battroid, I really think they could follow Gundam's jumbo-grade.

Have to admit though, it is a bit of a slippery slope issue. If someone were to take the risk of producing such a large scale fighter toy of the VF-1, there's a multitude of potential issues/pitfalls, like:

-how much detail would be considered "acceptable" on such a large scale, and how much adding that detail add to tooling/production costs?

-how may parts should be interchangable to customize your Valk? should they produce interchangable heads [A, J, S], and how about the cockpit/nose section, to allow for a later -1D variant? or have complete, separate production runs for ea model?

Well, to be perfectly honest, even a transforming valk at that scale would be manageable. There was someone on MOCPages who was making a PT Lego VF-1S about 3 feet long. Though he never accomplished the legs, the torso was working. It transformed completely and the arms were okay. He had problems, if I recall, with keeping some of the joints together, and it weighed a lot, but then, he had to make it solid to keep the design aesthetically accurate.

I think if good enough ratchets were added, joints would be no problem, and even at 3 feet long, weight shouldn't be too much of an issue. I mean, sure, yeah, it'll weigh more than any other valk, probably any other 1/18 plane, but it shouldn't exceed a feasible weight. I mean, it'd be something you could carry for a while in your hands, definitely.

And there also was this project from a group of design students and their teacher from Mexico. They were doing a 1/18 from scratch if I'm not mistaken.

I remember that project....he even posted some pictures....I wonder if they ever finished it..