"Wing-stops" on old Bandai 1/55's?

Guybrush Threepwood

Regarding old Bandai 1/55's, does anyone know if they're supposed to have 'tabs' to stop the wings from extending too far forward?

I have three Hi-Metal valks (2 elints, 1 strike) from different sources which each have this characteristic.

They have these rough gray spots (see picture). Either they are where the molding was cut from a "tree" in the manufacture process, or there used to be "tabs" there that served to stop the wings from swinging too far forward(see picture), and the tabs had been broken off at some point since it was new.

Does anyone know about this in old bandai valks? Since it was the same for all 3 of my valks, I wasn't sure whether this was a manufacturing mark common to the old valks, or if it was really something that was actually broken (I fear it's a broken part).

Thanks!

Edit:

Since I just checked a spare Jetfire and it DOES have the tabs, it looks more like it could be a broken part. Does anyone know if elints and superostriches are supposed to have those tabs?

Closeup of gray spot:

post-10263-1247374957_thumb.jpg

Closeup of wings extended far forward:

post-10263-1247374973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guybrush Threepwood

To answer the original question, there's small tabs attached to the backplate that stop the wings from folding forward too far. These are very easy to break off. They are located at the top (in Battroid mode) of the backplate and measure about 1 by 1 mm...

The gray spot you indicate is not where the tab is located, but likely wear caused by the wing rubbing against the plastic.

Some 1/55 Valks also have very loose wing-ratchets, that may fall out during play. This causes very loose wings (thankfully, this only happened on a wrecker in my case).

Edited by Salamander

Now, I'm left with a question.

Did the SDF-1 or any subsequent ship have a Wing Stop, or was the only restaurant a damned Nyan Nyan? :blink:

No, we at least know that the DYRL SDF-1 had a "McDonald's" (the Golden Arches are seen on a giant holo-billboard) and a "Humburger Po-Po" where Minmay and Hikaru went on their date. Hmm...Humburger Po-Po. That sounds kinda dirty... :huh: