MW outages

i've been having problems accessing the site in the mornings on my days offs this past week. i live in south texas. before, mw would go down but it would come back up in 5-15 minutes. so i just ignored it. this week is when it started to go down for hours at a time. and when it comes back up after a couple of hours, it will look like it won't connect and then all the sudden the page loads (i.e. it is running alot slower than usual).

Can I get a definitive answer on WHAT you are experiencing when you say outage?

I've been looking through the logs these last 2 weeks and do see spikes in traffic-but its brute force attack type of traffic-a lot heavier than usual. There have been some worldwide DOS attacks and I figured we somehow became one of the thousands of targets.

Are you seeing the macrossworld.com main page go down (http error) or a ips board issue(sql error)

this will help me immensely in figuring out what is broken

thanks!

Shawn

For me when I click on my shortcut, the page stays where it's at and it says loading forever. It never moves. Or sometimes I think I got into the forums but it's just cached and it stays loading forever. Hours. And when I get back on someone else has reported the outage. So it seems like we all can't access it at the same time.

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for looking into this. This morning (about 2 hours ago) I was in the middle of making an update to a post and noticed my changes wouldn't post. I then closed the browser window, went to the main MW page and found it loaded up immediately. Clicking the Forum link just put my browser into wait mode though. I think it was sitting there for a few minutes before I just manually closed it. No error messages for me, just the main page loaded and no forum page loading. Hope that makes sense.

Eventually it works (obviously) but usually requires me closing the page and starting over.

EDIT:

What EXO said.

Edited by mickyg

the outage is that the forums will never load for me, i have the index page of the forums bookmarked. i will eventually click on stop button before i'll let firefox timeout. but a couple of days ago i was able to go to the mw homepage successfully when the forums wouldn't load for me. i forgot to check the homepage last time i had an outage but it appears to be a problem with just the forums.

ok-thanks, that helps a lot. i've been looking at http issues, but i think it is mysql

i'll repair the db tonight-maybe tomorrow we'll see these issues go away!

Will let you know when I start (well...it'll just look like another outage) but more importantly when I'm done

maybe 2-3 hours max before I start.

S

The forums slowed and then I had an outage. However, there was a difference. The forums tried to load and after about a minute, Firefox came up with a "Connection Timed Out" error. Tried to load the MW forums again about a minute later, same error. That never happened before; before, the browser would just hang indefinitely until I lost patience and closed the window. Now I get errors messages after a minute.

So something may have changed.

Edited by Mr March

Are we about to have one.... site is getting slow....

Yeah we did.

I tired to post something and had the boards get stuck loading for about 5 minutes. When it finally finished I got nothing but a blank page (no error messages text or anything). Got the same behavior the first couple of times I hit refresh until I got a "your connection was reset at the host" message from Firefox. A couple more times trying to refresh and things returned to normal, and surprisingly my post had posted (this one if it helps).

hmmm...

The forum DB is a little over 1GB right now, with 14GB of picture uploads. I'm wondering if some pruning is in order. There are much much larger forums than ours, wonder what the issue is.

I hate to prune, because then we lose the old threads that inevitably someone asks about later on. Same reason the old forums are still asked about (and still offline)

Or perhaps we need to change the MySql storage engine from MYISAM to INNODB. Perhaps the full table locks of MYISAM are causing issues across these large tables vs row level locking that INNODB provides. I think this weekend we'll flip the switch and see if it helps at all.

If pruning is in order, it might be wise to ask the membership to search for threads they want to keep, post links in a dedicated thread and then delete everything else in the DB. Perhaps post a time limit and then after that passes, it's time to purge the board. Just a suggestion if anyone is worried about losing some threads they can't live without.

Here are the specific sql errors from a little while ago. Need to research what they mean.

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:49:28 -0700

Error Number: 2013

Error: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'waiting for initial communication packet', system error: 95

IP Address: xx.xx.xx.xx

Page: /mwf/index.php?showtopic=16227&st=240

===================================================

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:21:39 -0700

Error Number: 2013

Error: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'sending authentication information', system error: 32

IP Address: xx.xx.xx.xx

Page: /mwf/index.php?showtopic=21004&view=findpost&p=580850

Or people could just start hosting their pictures off-site and enforce a attachment quota. Maybe it is time to purge attachments. We may need to prune out the membership, maybe remove accounts that have been inactive for the past 5 years.

Speed/performance of MyISAM vs high-volume robustness of InnoDB. :unsure:

wow-very observant!!

was trying to turn off some extra features for a couple days to see if it improves anything.

They'll be back shortly once we determine the root cause

I see the RSS feed got killed as well.

so...did turning off stuff help any?

Turning off the extra features doesn't seem to have made a difference if we still get the outage.

again-you can still connect to the site, but it will say 'ips error' or something right?

Or do you get nothing when going to the site (timeout 404 etc)

S

no. it just hangs still. It stays on whatever page you are at and loads forever. It almost seems like traffic is slow on the site due to too many visitors. Server load issue or something like that around the same time everyday now. Right around 11am PDT. Before that it used to be a more sporadic, but right around before you came on it settled around those hours.

Yeah things had gone great for most of the weekend and then this morning I tired going to MW and at first (maybe 11:00 or so PDT) I was getting a page not found error while trying to access the main page. Later (maybe noon or so) I could get to the main page but the forum was back to it's old tricks. When attempting to access the forum the browser would just get stuck loading for 5-10 minutes, and once it finished I would get nothing but a blank page (no 404 or IPS error messages). I don't know if this is just how Firefox chooses to render the page or what (I'll have to remember trying things in a couple of different browsers the next time this happens), but I haven't seen an error message besides "page not found."

Definitely had issues with the forums from ~12PM PST till time of this post. Browser just hung there with a partially filled status bar. The main site loaded just fine.

Over the weekend, things went a little more smoother but my browser did hang for a bit, accessing the forums, but the duration of that was about 30 minutes.

Shouldn't have said anything---it was fine right until that post! Haven't been able to get in again until now. IPS driver error on the last refresh, but "just hangs" most of the other times.

So that's what's been causing it... It's all David's fault!!!!!

I just noticed something interesting.

Around 3:52PM EST, I created a new thread to post in the For Sale section. This new thread had 10 attachments, with each ranging from 200 ~ 300kb in size. As soon as I attempted to preview my post, MW became completely unresponsive for the next 10 minutes. I even opened up a new browser session and tried to view the main forum, but it was no go. Was this just a coincidence, or could there be something else.

FYI, my original post got lost during the crash and I had to recreate another one.