1/72 Recast Glaug

promethuem5

Hi all,

This guy's been sitting on my shelf for a year with busted arms, and I finally took him down to fix him, and realized I never actually photographed the finished kit and posted it. I figured with the Moscato Glaug on the horizon, I'd better post my Glaug before it was made to look like the Matchbox toy by comparison! :ph34r:

Full write up of the model on my site.

glaug1.png

1/72 Glaug with 1/72 Scaletiger!

glaug3.png

glaug6.png

Thanks! There's a little write up on my site, linked in the first post. Build-wise, it was a pretty standard recast resin kit... it's an older kit, so it's got quite clearly hand-made details, including panel lines that are sometimes a little wavy, and details bits like on the vents that were obviously pieces of plastic strip that weren't quite flush with the edge of the vent detail. I didn't spend too much time cleaning up the kit beyond mold seams. There's still a little bit of one big mold slip on the left side of the rear torso, which is visible in the pictures. The kit is rock solid now, as I pinned the crap out of it with brass rod... two in each hip so they don't swivel, two in the feet, along with some green stuff to fill in the gap where I articulated the ankles, two in each shoulder, and one or two in each arm segment. I had some nasty blisters from my pin-vice!

Prometheum, I love your Pictures... when I started my Tomahawk, I printed the pictures of yours as reference. I think I'll do the same when I'll start the Moscato's Glaug.

Congratulatios, the painting is superb, and the kit itself looks imponent side by the tank! B))

Great painting and weathering job on that baby! It looks like it just finished wiping out some CF valks and is looking for more! :lol:

Haha, I wish it was the upcoming Moscato kit. Sadly, it isn't, and side by side I bet there'd be ALOT of differences. I believe this kit is undersized for the scale, as there's NO way the Moscato Zentraedi figure would fit in the cockpit, abbreviated buttocks or no. There IS a rough cockpit under the red canopy, which I never finished, and you'd barely fit a figure larger that a Yamato 1/48 human pilot in there.

Thanks for all the comments! I'm glad this big guy has been so well received... he takes up so damn much space on my crowded shelves! :lol:

Edited by promethuem5

Haha, I wish it was the upcoming Moscato kit. Sadly, it isn't, and side by side I bet there'd be ALOT of differences. I believe this kit is undersized for the scale, as there's NO way the Moscato Zentraedi figure would fit in the cockpit, abbreviated buttocks or no. There IS a rough cockpit under the red canopy, which I never finished, and you'd barely fit a figure larger that a Yamato 1/48 human pilot in there.

Thanks for all the comments! I'm glad this big guy has been so well received... he takes up so damn much space on my crowded shelves! :lol:

Oh, there are a LOT of differences. A buddy of mine still has his "1/72" ARII Glaug (unbuilt and still bagged, by the way), which I was looking over a couple weeks ago. I'll see if I can get him to lend it to me at some future point so that I can offer a comparison with my sculpt. I remember when I had that kit many years ago, and it seemed so huge at the time. The "cockpit" barely deserves that designation, it's just a one-piece tub/molded seat. THe Matchbox cockpit is actually more detailed, and yes, there is no way in H.E.L.L. that a 1/72 Zentran soldier could ever fit in there.... Unless he were miclonized :lol:

Alas, the ARII kit fits with the "official" numerical measurements, and regardless, you did an excellent job bringing it to life. Love the colors you selected too!

Very, very nice work. Out of curiosity, do you remember the source of the recast?

Regards,

AJC

I got one of the recast I bought from ebay. The owner claimed that it was recast from a wonderfestival kit. The quality is not good. I have to redo a lot crooked panel lines and detail.

Chris is spot-on. I bought mine from HobbyFanatics, and the kit is quite clearly from a handbuilt master... the panel lines are uneven, and on some of the vents and such, you can tell that the master had ridge details built using plastic strips, as they don't mesh with the edges of the detail right everywhere.