SCRATCH-BUILD 4 Feet Macross DYRL SDF-1

MaveRick

Absolutely stupendous work (awesome's getting over used ^_^ )! Not to mention how quick you're progressing! I think you're going to finish before me! Especially since I'm moving and everything will be in transit for a while. Keep up the great work and thanks for updating us. - MT

>EXO<: been eyeing on the material since planning phase for the project, problem would be shipping it here.. i presume, you have a idea how pesky P.O. people are here.. i already had more than enough problems trying to find ways just to avoid getting bitten by the customs crocks with my valkyrie purchases.

adrianop: thanks dre, just as mechtech said, it's a big thing that people are following your build.. it gives you that extra boost and sense of responsibility to get it done.

Vespaeda: thank you so much.. after building the bridge area, one thing i noticed was the weight of the material.. it really is heavy, but it has that sturdy feel.. been very keen with the weight after on the other sections. if all estimates correct, this build would not reach over 5kg. This build would be very crucial, depending on the outcome, i might just try and something transformable next time.

richardthebrave: thanks richard.. either here or over otakai.. i'd be glad if you do.

MechTech: hopefully everything goes well.. i expect to finish the SDF alone in roughly a month from now.. but hey, don't prolong our agony.. i've been wanting to see you awesome project's finished product as well!

as of this posting i'm thinking about two options:

1. Build a 1/999 macross city diorama to go along with the SDF with its base clamp

2. Build both daedalus and prometheus instead.

so far, i'm more likely to go with the first option.. (a friend whose and Architect is willing to help me build those scale buildings)

UPDATE:

Almost done with the main cannon section.. i decided to skip building tip parts after making the primary boosters

3819999659_2db9a978cc.jpg

still have to scribe and add up some panel linings underneath as i find it kinda lame without it..

3819999657_d67ca3e5e9.jpg

both side sections of the ship's main hull's almost done too:

3819999643_4d29fa028b.jpg

main particle cannons and triple barreled laser/particle beam turrets on the hull's side section

3819999649_c3f01e6a5b.jpg

here's the shoulder section with single barrel rail cannons mounted on it. (i'm not sure.. but i kinda find the barrel too little or it's just too long.. i might have to redo it next time) I'm also thinking of inserting LEDs on all four barrel tips that why i'm not putting much details on the tip part.

3819999633_9eb3ec635f.jpg

3819999637_0a02e5e883.jpg

Edited by MaveRick

and lastly.. here's the mock up combination of all parts so far:

3820006149_7e3c612931.jpg

3820006143_50c0eff45e.jpg

3820076373_5c807b0321.jpg

and my lame attempt at size comparison.. the valks at the backdrop's are the Yamato 1/48 Valkyries (guess that would give you guys a decent idea on the size of this build)

3820006157_3763dc309e.jpg

thanks for looking.. 'til next update.. (and what i believe to be the hardest part - main boosters)

did the accounting of all armaments according to official specification for the SDF 1 TV Version.. i wanted to make it as accurate per official specification..

macrossside.gif

i've managed to locate and account these armaments so far using the official line art:

- 1 x Main cannon (heavy particle beam)

- 8 x main particle cannon (one under the main hull, three on the upper main hull, two on the flanks of the reflex cannon, and two on the upper legs.)

- 1 x secondary triple-barreled particle cannon (mounted on the forward main hull. Sometime into the war this turret was refitted with six missile launchers rather than its cannons.)

- 4 x single barrel rail cannons mounted on the shoulders.

- 16 x triple barreled laser/particle beam turrets scattered around the hull.

the more minute detailing is something i'm cuurently thinking of where to install:

12 x torpedo tubes

48 x ten-tube missile launcher boxes

anybody has an idea of where most of these where situated?

i'll also need some line-art reference on the lower part of the ship.. i hope somebody here could help me out.

Only one thing - is that where you're gonna display it? I guess that means no more cake & coffee 'round your place, then ... sad.gif

Well, if he doesn't have a place to display it, I'd be more than happy to "store" it for him at my place...

Man, that is just awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing this thing complete. MechTech, you'll have to build the rest of the SDF-1 as an attachment to your 6 ft monster.

Edited by peter

She's really coming along great! Awesome work as always! I think your cannon are to the right length too. Are they tapered at the ends, or is it just the camera? Keep up the inspirational up!

Peter is crazy, I'd have to buy a new house to put a 1/200 SDF-1 in :lol: - MT

Hey guys, i'm back... well.. after about two day's i've managed to pacify myself.. it's the first time afterall that something like this happened.. but yeah, i'm just focusing on the good side of the situation.. (i kept telling myself that the first one didn't turned out as accurate as i wanted it to be anyway) i've managed to channel my depression over my work's mishap so far with working on a better plan and doing more research.. i've decided to do the TV Version instead..

MechTech: thanks a lot for the tip and sympathy.. will try to look for it, hopefully i can find it here locally. Since i'll be doing the TV Version, of which compared to the DYRL version have better streamline design but most of the part are curvy, so i will discard the hardtype cardboard this time as one of my main materials.. i've experimented bending cladding blocks by heating a portion of it where i do the curves and so far it turned out pretty good!

anyway... here's my UPDATE.. i dropped the "CARD BOARD" as my main material for this build, i thought of using styrene sheets, but with its scarcity in my location, i researched for some other materials closely the same to it.. no luck either with mechtech's suggested material.. went to a couple of hardware shops, 'til a particular material caught my attention - a rubberized vinyl plastic tile.. tried to buy one and test it for curving and it turned out pretty good!

i started working on the bridge area.. i wanted to make it as accurate as possible this time, so i just took my time doing all the minute detailing.. i think one thing i learned from my last build too is not to rush things..

3707252008_97eef3b293.jpg

3706438393_726be43d9b.jpg

3706437717_761b08880e.jpg

3707242650_89bfd2da87.jpg

3707252624_d43071aa18.jpg

3707251046_bf000be292.jpg

here's how it looks like with lights installed:

3707244660_7cd2fdafbb.jpg

i'll also do some articulation on the bridge's left part since i noticed from other pictures it appears to be connected to the main control area (in attack mode), while at some pictures it appears to be separated.. (cruiser mode)

3707243872_7cef604c18.jpg

the bridge's about 80% done.. still have to the following:

- detailed bridge internals

- detailing for bridge's back portion

- more sanding on curve areas

hopefully i could continue on working this by next weekend..

thanks for looking guys :)

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all for the kind comments.. i wouldn't have gone this far if not partly because of your constant appreciation on the build..

as of this posting, the hull's underneath part (armaments and boosters) is done... currently working on the connecting piece for the primary boosters.. unfortunately i won't be able to post updated pics for now.. i'm thinking of updating this thread (with pictures) once i'm practically done with the ship!

still have a long way to go though.. still have to smoothen and clean some surface... puttying.. and the painting it up (this department i so lacking, both the skill and experience!!)

i've also decided to skip on the Daedalus and Prometheus build.. instead, i'll do a 1/1000 scale macross city to go with this ship.. as for where i will be placing it after? i intend to enclosed this with either acrylic or clear glass and make it as my custom coffee table over my room (vile's comment gave me that idea!) :lol: :lol:

Edited by MaveRick

thanks BeyondTheGrave :)

Oh well, i kinda got bored earlier.. so decide to take some quick shots with Sheryl Nome, then thought of taking some quick shots of the project's progress as well..

most of the work were done on the the ships lower part.. also worked on the connecting piece of the arm where the two ship will be mounted.. and also connecting part of the ship before it's main boosters..

anyway.. nuff talk.. here's some quick shots i did..

3909136855_dcc46dfb07.jpg

3909136863_a6ea01f06c.jpg

3909136869_a8ca863150.jpg

3909136875_7848f3f0e3.jpg

slots for boosters.. still haven't sealed it yet since i still have to place some electrical wires..

3909136883_00e528632d.jpg

TFL.. 'til next update guys :)

Edited by MaveRick

• 1 month later...

Yea, i haven't checked in on this thread in a few months so i haven't seen you latest update with the front cannons and mounted lasers. This is truly fantastic work. Even though we just got painted pics of the yamato 1/2000 SDF-1, I'm highly looking forward to seeing this once it's completed! I'd make a trip overseas to come see it! haha...

There are people who buy the G-System 1/35 scale EX-S Gundam, Im sure there are people who would buy a large scale SDF-1.

I'm actually seriously considering the EX-S 1/35 myself right now. Only because it's a once in a lifetime chance for MASSIVE mecha goodness. If this was made into a resin kit, it'd have to be a limited run, maybe like 15-20 tops. Personally, I'd only buy it if it was variable or in Storm attacker.

Anyhow Maverick, I agree with the rest of the people here, YOU MUST FINISH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell, might as well go for it and do the whole thing.