Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

Triangle sucks; Ultimate forever!!! laugh.gif

No, Triangle doesn't have as high of a difficulty curve. What it does have is a "lot" more graphic detail, refined movement animations for more "macross-y" mecha, more characters, fast pack's for the VF-17's & VF-19's, a much better balance between the mecha, and many other things that put it high above Ultimate.

Ultimate is old news, get you some Triangle Frontier.

I'm at 90/95% completion for MUF...and had a BLAST playing it.

I'm in no rush for MTF. Perhaps I'll get it when it reaches Greatest Hits.

Puts it high above Ultimate? That's a bold statement.

I agree that Triangle is better in many things, but the low difficulty is really a turn off for me. I don't know for how long I have played it, but I don't see an ultimate mode anywhere. That lowers it to a semi casual game, as opposed to a hardcore game like Ultimate... I'm sorry to see Artdink flopping like that. I think I'll have to resort to what I never thought I would do. Undertuning VFs...

I like Triangle for the FAST Packs for the VF-17 and the VF-19 and really love using the VF-25 with Tornado pack, but I must admit that I havent played the game much apart from the first 7-10 days after I got it.

Not sure why this is, either beacuse the difficulty is too easy, or perhaps beacuse I overplayed Ultimate (330hrs+) and may be a bit burned out.

Graham

Honestly, I was never a fan of Ulitmate mode, was it a cool addition? Yeah. But once clearing a stage on Ultimate once, I never really went back and re-did it. Regardless, if you're finding Triangle too easy, the solution is simple. Down-tune your Valkyrie. That's right, the tune bar can move in the opposite direction too!

To each his own though. Personally, the many levels of added detail in Triangle are well worth the upgrade for me. As for the Triangle thread being quiet, I know I'm personally waiting for the rest of the new passwords to come out. As for time played, I'm at about 75 hours.

Edited by Keith

Regardless, if you're finding Triangle too easy, the solution is simple. Down-tune your Valkyrie. That's right, the tune bar can move in the opposite direction too!

That's such a cop-out. Yeah, so what's the point of collecting tune points, then? What's the point of the Nyan-nyan Shop? You might as well suggest "if you're finding Triangle too easy, the solution is simple: Close your eyes and play it!" :wacko::p

Yeah. For example, I went for weak weapons and decent speed based on the era/enemy I would be after. It's not bad at all. I still think it's not right to resort to this, though. There should have been an ultimate mode. As for the survival missions, they do present a very good challenge so far. I still can't beat the Frontier and Macross missions. They're very long.

• 2 weeks later...

I admit it felt more like an add on to me as well, but the new mecha, missions and the size thingy (better sizes for the capital ships) among several other improvements does feel much nicer. I still have to say that the removal of Triangle+L attacks, the option of choosing particular automatic skills from characters that have what you want and ultimate mode still does not sit well with me.

And Ultimate was just an add on to Ace, that's the way the cycle works. As for taking the ability away for any character to have any skill, it actually does make sense. How strange was it to select Sheryl and equip the Minmay skill, only to have Minmay pop up on screen when the song started? Or for anyone to be using the Kakizaki skill, and have him go on about his steak when you're actually using a different character as your assist.

In terms of gameplay, Ultimate felt much better than Ace to me. I'm in no way saying I consider Triangle a bad game, it was just a smaller jump in terms of gameplay from the second game.

The part you speak about is correct. That does make sense, but what about non character specific skills? What if, for example, I want the pineapple salad skill, but I don't like the character that normally has it? That little part doesn't make sense.

Something I forgot to mention... One of the things I really didn't like about Triangle is that it's ridiculously easy to unlock things when compared to Ultimate. I was getting Nyan Nyan points so easily despite not using a character with that skill, that in a matter of heavily playing the game for 3 days, I had bought everything from the store. In Ultimate, I didn't finish getting everything from the store until around a month before I got Triangle. I really had to work for my Nyan Nyan points back then, while they were handed over to me easily this time around.

I don't know, maybe I'm weird.

Edited by CrazyMartian

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I found many more plus's in Triangle than cons. The graphics boost, extra story detail in the levels, and animation improvements for all mecha pushed this game higher for me. It's obviously still a work in progress, but I really like where things were taken.

The one thing that I think Triangle should have added was more Zentraedi ship types instead of just Thuverl Salans and Nupetiet-Vergnitzs, especially since the Salan seems to be used in missions where there should have been a different ship class. The final mission of 2009 comes to mind were Quamzin's gun destroyer is replaced with a Thuverl Salan.

The one thing that I think Triangle should have added was more Zentraedi ship types instead of just Thuverl Salans and Nupetiet-Vergnitzs, especially since the Salan seems to be used in missions where there should have been a different ship class. The final mission of 2009 comes to mind were Quamzin's gun destroyer is replaced with a Thuverl Salan.

For some reason, the Thuverl Salan is the only ship with damage maps in the game. Maybe because there's no good reference for the other ships having the crap beat out of them.

Yeah, you'd think more capital ships would be one of the easier things for them to add, given their lack of animation.

One thing I would like them to add is more grunt units. Sure, this time there are many grunties, but one not associated with a specific character would be nice. I love my VF-25A, but I'd like my own F or G variants, not Alto's and Michael's.

But that's just nitpicking on my part.

You are right Keith, on mentioning the aesthetic additions as good points. I fully agree, but the few gameplay tweaks I didn't like did really throw me off the loop. As I have said, the L+Triangle, L+Circle commands or the non character based skills and the sudden drop in difficulty did strike me as odd, but eh... At the end of the day Triangle does bring a good amount of fun to be had. I only wish the custom characters had more than one face per gender.

One thing I would like them to add is more grunt units. Sure, this time there are many grunties, but one not associated with a specific character would be nice. I love my VF-25A, but I'd like my own F or G variants, not Alto's and Michael's.

But that's just nitpicking on my part.

You are right Keith, on mentioning the aesthetic additions as good points. I fully agree, but the few gameplay tweaks I didn't like did really throw me off the loop. As I have said, the L+Triangle, L+Circle commands or the non character based skills and the sudden drop in difficulty did strike me as odd, but eh... At the end of the day Triangle does bring a good amount of fun to be had. I only wish the custom characters had more than one face per gender.

Not sure what you mean by more grunt units, since you can customize any mecha with your own color scheme. Although I think these games ar elong overdue for an Angel Birds VF-1.

Not sure what you mean by more grunt units, since you can customize any mecha with your own color scheme. Although I think these games ar elong overdue for an Angel Birds VF-1.

With more grunt units, I meant other variants with different visual features. For example, Ozma's S and Klan's S do look very different. I think it'd be nice if they added other F, G and R variants of the VF 25. But that's just nitpicking on my part.

Something I would still like to see is a new, original campaign with a story mode associated with it. While the academy mode is a story mode of sorts, I still don't quite like the feeling it gives. I also think the VF-14 Vampire and VF-3000 Crusader are long overdue.

Like I said, you can change the colors of just about any unit to a grunt scheme. The VF-25A also has the same head as the G, so you can do any variation between the two you'd like. Most instances here don't require extra grunt variations, just a color swap. And yes, we do still need the VF-3000 & VF-14. But we also need the Pheyos Valkyrie, Variable Glaug, VF-2JA, Zentradi Valkyrie (VF somehting XX), Macross II variations of the Destroids, a standard (non pirate) VA-3, VF-11D Jamming Birds varient, sound boosters for the VF-22S, Valgo, Gigil, Zomd, Goram, Natter Valgo, Gabigula, playable mini-Sivil, playable mini Gabil, military versions of hte EX-Gear, both EX-Gear's to be plaayble during campaign, YF-29, playable Ghost V-9's, playable Macross II Battle Pods, VE-1 Elintseeker, VEFR-1 Funny Chinese, standard RVF-171, Macrross II version of the Macross, a version of Battle Galaxy that has the Ranka hologram system equipped, and the aiblity to purge the fast pack from the VT-1 Super Ostrich.

It is still a game in progress afterall.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the gaming industries saw that MUF was such a excellent game ... they would make a low key game for the general publik.

I do not believe this game was for hard core gamerz such as yourselves and I.

And adjusting and moving thingz just wont make it better...

Are you not tired of trying to make something you dislike into something you like because people call you namez for not promoting or going with the flow???

If you dont like it say you dont like it ....

I looked at triangle and it seemed to be to fluffy for me ;

I dont need the singing and romance .....

I needed various amountz of gunz and flying mechz...

Therefore from what I read here and from what I read from the promo.... " I will not be buying the game because I DID NOT LIKE IT"

Now for all those people that want to come along and call me a winer or wush or dweeb.... because I did not go with the flow or buy the game.....

Go ahead waste your breath but think about that last breath when your old and remember what you wasted on ....

Edited by light

You are a winer and a wush. Saying "I don't want to play with the settings" when they're there regardless is stupid. Hell, I'll make the game harder for you, try pulling out your square button from your PSP, that'll make it super hardcore.

LOL how about super hardcore mode ? pull all the buttons out and play by mind control, that sorts the men from the boys :p

Just becareful, if you disable the limiter, your eyes might explode!

Thatz why i like that guy keith ... You can alwayz count upon him to make a comment... Ever since I joined this site about two yearz ago you could alwayz count on good ole Keith like clock work count on Keith making some "Stalin Grad" comment such as he made...

Now I know it is going to be hard for you not to reply .... so go ahead and let it out... " I mean itz the internet right???" lol muhahahah...

Basically you might not understand what I am getting at here Keith and groupiez of Keith....

Basically like kinder blockz ... I am saying no matter what you tweek or twist upon some thingz they will not be any good for you... "I mean for example your commentz are no good for me ... no matter how you twist and turn them"

For every other "Robot" or "human" out there if you dont like the game "you just dont like it ... not matter how much advertising they force upon you"

Edited by light

Thatz why i like that guy keith ... You can alwayz count upon him to make a comment... Ever since I joined this site about two yearz ago you could alwayz count on good ole Keith like clock work count on Keith making some "Stalin Grad" comment such as he made...

Now I know it is going to be hard for you not to reply .... so go ahead and let it out... " I mean itz the internet right???" lol muhahahah...

Basically you might not understand what I am getting at here Keith and groupiez of Keith....

Basically like kinder blockz ... I am saying no matter what you tweek or twist upon some thingz they will not be any good for you... "I mean for example your commentz are no good for me ... no matter how you twist and turn them"

For every other "Robot" or "human" out there if you dont like the game "you just dont like it ... not matter how much advertising they force upon you"

Dude, I'm so going to send my Demon Hipster Chicks to attack you!

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guy's i know that this question is probably late in the game. But how do you alter the game to perform like Ace Frontier. when in fighter mode I have the vertical huds, not the way that ace is played.

Go into control options, and change flight type to normal.

• 11 months later...

This is driving me insane. I can't seem to beat Milia during Skull Leader Forever Pt II (I believe it's part two) mission. How on earth does one defeat her? I've been using the specials and doing everything in my power to stay alive...all to no avail. I'm at the point where Misa no longer <3's me ='(

Edited by Oihan