Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

No, there's no option to turn them off.

That was one of the things I was fearing when I saw the screenshots (the windows are definitely much bigger than they were in Ace Frontier), as well as the overall expansion of the display icons and gauges onscreen. It seemed to take up so much space it was ridiculous.

However, when I actually played the game it all seemed natural and oddly it never seems to be in the way of the action. I wouldn't dwell too much on it.

Recently I've started playing the game again since I have a new train commute these days. It really is fun, and it's never over because even after you beat everything there is still Ultimate Mode. Free Missions and Chronicle, etc.

My favourite feature has to be the custom soundtrack, though. It's so much more gratifying to blow away enemy Zentradi pods to the tunes of Led Zeppelin, etc. In fact, I was thinking of putting some Youtube vids up of some of the more interesting sounds to suit the action. Tune points, har har!!

Negative

Half the fun is flying a Valk...

...and the other half is flying a Valk

Speaking as someone who's actually played the game, pilot chatter gives it a more "authentic" feel.

^ :rolleyes:

So a guy who flies a variable fighter jet with giant speakers on it via a guitar hero controller is cool, but the whole hover tank thing isn't? All I can think of when Macross7 comes to mind is "Pimp my Valkyrie". Maybe they'll make Xzibit one of the unlockable pilots in the next game, then it would be super authentic!

^ :rolleyes:

So a guy who flies a variable fighter jet with giant speakers on it via a guitar hero controller is cool, but the whole hover tank thing isn't?

Aside from the fact that Southern Cross has no place in a Macross game to begin with, the hovertank niche is already filled by the Monster class destroids, which actually have the heavy armor and ridiculous firepower to play that role.

(Not having them manned by incompetent samurai/knight cosplayers is just a bonus).

Go bug HG for a Southern Cross game like Battlecry and Invasion if you're that desperate for that stuff.

Edited by hulagu

^ rolleyes.gif

So a guy who flies a variable fighter jet with giant speakers on it via a guitar hero controller is cool, but the whole hover tank thing isn't? All I can think of when Macross7 comes to mind is "Pimp my Valkyrie". Maybe they'll make Xzibit one of the unlockable pilots in the next game, then it would be super authentic!

So little you under stand. The VF-19Kai's control scheme is absolutely nothing like "guitar hero," it's actually very similar to the standard cntrol scheme, just with one guitar sized stick instead of two flight sticks.

Don't hate on Macross 7 just because you'll never have a Southern Cross game where you to strap onto a big ungly rectangle that turns into a robot.

Refferring to earlier " dana sterling and her bunch"

Wow you guyz are devastatingly cruel man that was so... funnywrong

Maybe the person was talking about a sucky game "in my opinion", that would have Dana sterling and her bunch, yah know from the early beginings.

I dont' know if this has been posted before.

I found this image:

image138.png

It's a slide from Namco Bandai’s end of year financial presentation and it's about how they use their contents, for example if you buy the Blu-ray of Tales of Vesperia movie you get a code to download costumes for the characters of the game, and there's an image of Macross F movie with an image of VF-25 with the Tornado Pack.

I don't understand japanese so my question is, is the image from a new game? or maybe we will be able to unlock the tornado pack in MUF or maybe ACE:R?

Here is a bigger image of the macross part of the slide:

image1382.png

Source of the image here:link

Edited by Dash

End of the year would be inline with the usual release schedule. If so, here's hoping for a whole Macross II campaign, as well as fast packs for the VF-17's & VF-19F/S, Protodevelin, and various other things that didn't make the MUF cut.

Hell yes! First possible sighting of a MUF sequel. Can't wait. Certainlly looks like a possible sequel from the shot of the Tornado.

Recently started playing MUF again. Now up to 219 hours.

I want full M3, MII and VF-X2 campaigns and mecha in a sequel.

But I really, really, hope they resculpt the VF-19Kai/F/S/P. Sick of looking at the incorrect YF-19 style LERX and tails on the VF-19Kai/F/S/P.

And yes, FAST packs for VF-17 and VF-19F/S. And cannon shell firing gunpod for the VF-17 please, not a beam gun again. I hate they keep doing that. The beam gun adaptor should be a special attack only IMO, like in the anime. That should be a no brainer.

And mecha specific hangers and launch sequences please.

Graham

Hell yes! First possible sighting of a MUF sequel. Can't wait. Certainlly looks like a possible sequel from the shot of the Tornado.

Recently started playing MUF again. Now up to 219 hours.

I want full M3, MII and VF-X2 campaigns and mecha in a sequel.

But I really, really, hope they resculpt the VF-19Kai/F/S/P. Sick of looking at the incorrect YF-19 style LERX and tails on the VF-19Kai/F/S/P.

And yes, FAST packs for VF-17 and VF-19F/S. And cannon shell firing gunpod for the VF-17 please, not a beam gun again. I hate they keep doing that. The beam gun adaptor should be a special attack only IMO, like in the anime. That should be a no brainer.

And mecha specific hangers and launch sequences please.

Graham

I just hope they keep the exact same team, and don't let whowever stripped content out of the Gundam games near it.

OOOOOOOOOOOH good news!! I hope it's a new game and not downloadable content for MUF. Although I'm not sure if MUF is designed to accept downloadable content anyway...

All psp games have a check for updates option, but I don't think I've heard of a major japanese game release having dlc on PSP.

All psp games have a check for updates option, but I don't think I've heard of a major japanese game release having dlc on PSP.

I can think of one:

Peeeace Walkerrrr.... Ba-baaaaa-baaam!

He's the man, the man with the silent gunnn....

So much downloadable crap for that one. Even the T-shirts you can buy at Uniqlo can be downloaded and worn by Snake and gang when you input the barcode! You need a PSN account though, so I haven't done it yet.

As for the new Macross game... I wonder if this screenshot isn't from the new "Another Century's Episode" game on the PS3, since they have VF-25's in that one too.

Edited by Renato

I can think of one:

Peeeace Walkerrrr.... Ba-baaaaa-baaam!

He's the man, the man with the silent gunnn....

So much downloadable crap for that one. Even the T-shirts you can buy at Uniqlo can be downloaded and worn by Snake and gang when you input the barcode! You need a PSN account though, so I haven't done it yet.

As for the new Macross game... I wonder if this screenshot isn't from the new "Another Century's Episode" game on the PS3, since they have VF-25's in that one too.

That's just it, is it downloaded, or is it unlocked?

I thought that it could be from ACE:R too, but the HUD from the image of the VF-25 with the Tornado Pack it's completely different from the one in ACE:R, and it´s different from the HUD of MUF too:

4625630691_9c6444941d_o-1.jpg

Macross-Ultimate-Frontier-13.jpg

So maybe it's a new game after all, at least i hope it is, i don't remember exactly, around which time of the year did they announce of the last two games?

Edited by Dash

Here is a bigger image of the macross part of the slide:

image1382.png

While it's difficult to tell for sure given the small size of the picture, the graphics certainly look to be PSP quality and not that of a next-gen console.

Graham

The layout is way too similar to MUF's to not be another iteration.

DAMN... I was hoping to buy several games from my region, but it seems I'll have to divert those resources on the newest Macross...

That, and buy a new PSP... CRAP...

I only hope that the three pilot team gets realized, as they already used it in GAS... Which I ended up not liking and sold.

The layout is way too similar to MUF's to not be another iteration.

DAMN... I was hoping to buy several games from my region, but it seems I'll have to divert those resources on the newest Macross...

That, and buy a new PSP... CRAP...

I only hope that the three pilot team gets realized, as they already used it in GAS... Which I ended up not liking and sold.

salvating at the mouth

rubbing handz to warm them up

cracking knuckles getting them ready for fast button clicking and eye moving and ........ crazy awesome graphics.

GAS did very nicely implement a two wingman system, and at this point, it would only serve to amp up the awesomeness of a Macross game. As long as that's the "only" thing they borrow from GAS. That, and maybe the ability to easily assign songs by putting them in one lump folder, and switch songs mid stage.

Did anyone of you MUF owner got their hands on the game guide? Does it have many illustrations (even CG) about the mechas and/or characters?

Graham picked it up I believe, think he said it was mostly strategy stuff, not a lot of pictures.

Did anyone of you MUF owner got their hands on the game guide? Does it have many illustrations (even CG) about the mechas and/or characters?

I've got both the MAF and MUF guidebooks.

There is no lineart of mecha or characters at all.

There are only small CG pics of the mecha and thumbnail CG pics of the characters heads (same as in the game). Most of the book is just mission guides.

As a non-Japanese reader, the only thing I found remotely useful is that the book tells you how many points you need to get too obtain 'S' or 'SS' grade. Of course at 229 hours into the game, I'm a long, long way from needing that info anymore.

Don't waste money buying the book, unless you are an absolute completist.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Okay;

I might get slammed for this but I am OLD SCHOOL

I want more fighting and action and less loving and fluffy dancing teen agers.

I know Japanese Anima has been going the fluffy lovey stuff because it draws the attention of girls to thier sci-fi ... but a true Nerd Woman would not need anything to draw her to the stuff...

ALL THAT SAY YA

ALL THAT SAY NAY "bunch of horses....lol"

Okay;

I might get slammed for this but I am OLD SCHOOL

I want more fighting and action and less loving and fluffy dancing teen agers.

I know Japanese Anima has been going the fluffy lovey stuff because it draws the attention of girls to thier sci-fi ... but a true Nerd Woman would not need anything to draw her to the stuff...

ALL THAT SAY YA

ALL THAT SAY NAY "bunch of horses....lol"

And I want you to post relavent issues in relavant topics, but we don't always get what we want.

So... has anyone played this game two- or three-player yet? I have no PSP friends. :(:lol:

Failing that, anyone tried the XLinkKai method, or even Ad-hoc party? I thought about trying the former a while back, but if I cannot guarantee that anyone is going to be online, I wouldn't want to bother.

We should really get a tournament or something organised. ^_^

So... has anyone played this game two- or three-player yet? I have no PSP friends. :(:lol:

I played a three-way game of MAF once, with 2 other HK-based MWers. Not had the chance to play MUF with anybody else yet. Would love to try.

It's a pity we didn't have a chance to try in Japan, when I was in Tokyo.

Also, have to apologise about not trying to meet up again when I was there. Had a work crisis and spent most of my remaining time on damage control emails and phone calls.

Graham

Anybody know when is the next big Japanese electronic games show?

Hoping we might get an announcement on the new PSP Macross game (cross fingers, touch wood, etc, etc).

Graham

Tokyo Game Show should be around september-ish.

Failing that, anyone tried the XLinkKai method, or even Ad-hoc party? I thought about trying the former a while back, but if I cannot guarantee that anyone is going to be online, I wouldn't want to bother.

We should really get a tournament or something organised. ^_^

I have a PS3 and use Adhoc Party to play Phantasy Star Portable 2 and MGS Peace Walker sporadically. I'd like to give MUF a go again, but finding players is like looking for a Super Nova exploding in the night sky with my naked eyes...

Only time I could play it for a while, and my connection was acting up, was with a guy from here who goes by Maximus Drunkus on the PSN.

If you wanna give it a go, add me and let's set a time for it.

Also, if more than one person per area want to play, Adhoc Party (at least the Japanese version), can hold 2 people (case that I have encountered) playing using a single PS3 as a gateway. So let's say Two people with PS3s can connect. Another two people want to play, but have access to a single PS3. They are good to go and form a group and play.

Edited by CrazyMartian