Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

Sounds great... except I don't have a PS3, I would have to figure out how to use XLinkKai and just play it that way.

Unless this new Another Century Episode game turns out to be enough of a worthwhile reason to buy the console. I just can't seem to manage to find enough worth in the PS3. And no, there are no movies that interest me enough to see them in Blu-ray.

Also, have to apologise about not trying to meet up again when I was there. Had a work crisis and spent most of my remaining time on damage control emails and phone calls.

Don't worry about it, man! I figured you had lots of things to do in such a short time anyway. B))

Hi All

Been a while since i've posted anything but i'm looking at getting a PSP and this will be one of the first games i will be purchased (or downloading...) for it but i've got some questions. Before i ask them i have not trolled the 30 odd pages for this information and i've had no luck with the search query so far so bare with me:

Do i need to have the PSP hacked to play or will it play the games without requiring the PSP to be hacked?

Seeing as it is a japanese game is all of the language in Japanese or come someone who does not read the language still play it?

Will i need a Japanese PSP or can i buy one of the Australian (PAL) machines are still be good to play?

Like i said bare with me on this as i'm a noob when it comes to PSP's.

Cheers

Hi All

Been a while since i've posted anything but i'm looking at getting a PSP and this will be one of the first games i will be purchased (or downloading...) for it but i've got some questions. Before i ask them i have not trolled the 30 odd pages for this information and i've had no luck with the search query so far so bare with me:

Do i need to have the PSP hacked to play or will it play the games without requiring the PSP to be hacked?

Seeing as it is a japanese game is all of the language in Japanese or come someone who does not read the language still play it?

Will i need a Japanese PSP or can i buy one of the Australian (PAL) machines are still be good to play?

Like i said bare with me on this as i'm a noob when it comes to PSP's.

Cheers

And I will respond:

If you want to play Macross Ace Frontier and Ultimate Frontier, all you need is the UMD (the game disc) and a PSP.

It doesn't matter where the PSP is from. It can be from ANY region. US, Japan, European or anywhere. Games are not region locked.

To my knowledge, no Macross game for the PSP has been released over the Playstation Network, so going with the UMD is the only legit choice.

However, if you are to go the ISO way, well, can't help you there.

I'm available most wednesdays during the day if anyone wants to give it a go

Available in XLink Kai or PSN?

PSN, I've never messed with xlink.

As for the other question, don't bother with Ace, just go straight to Ultimate Frontier, as there's no benefit at this point to having or playing hte earlier game. And please, don't get a PSP go, get a current model PSP 3000, as any region PSP system will play any region PSP's UMD games, the only thing you can't play is other region UMD movies, with 99.89% of the time isn't an issue at all. Also, buy a memory stick!

I second the motion to avoid the PSPgo, for the main reason that, as mentioned, you won't be able to play Macross Ultimate Frontier on it as it's not available for download, and the PSPgo does not have a UMD drive.

Be aware, however, that UMD-Video discs ARE region-encoded, so you will not be able to view them on an Australian PSP. Thus, unless you like the pretty box, you might as well avoid the "Special Edition Nyan Nyan Pack" 2-disc version of Ultimate Frontier which comes with the game and a video disc. Just go for the single-disc, game-only release.

Half of the content on the video is about the same as that of the Macross 20th Anniversary DVD anyway, so you won't be missing much.

• 3 weeks later...

Yay! Today I got one of those cheap tiny USB wireless things that probably don't work! That means that I'm up for some XLinkKai-ing if anyone uses that (or even still plays this bloody game...).

I just need to install a bunch of stuff and then I'll be on my way to a paradise of online Macross battle delights. Who wants to help set myself up for extraordinary disappointment? I really hope this thing works. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

hey i havent done setup for xlink yet, but for anyone running on CFW im aware that there's now a new plugin which allows you to play psp online through usb, instead of running it through wireless.

the config would be PSP running MUF connected to pc (via usb) running xlink kai.

The only problem with that is it's a pain in the ass for anyone not running XP due to Vista and 7's signed certificate requirements. If you're willing to make the certificate, it's about the same as running RemoteJoyLite (Although the two cannot be running at the same time, unfortunately)

At last, someone who cares! :p

Yeah, I use XP so I'm not sure about that, but in doing my homework I did read that there were issues with 7 and Vista.

As for the USB thing, so, does that make it easier to connect, or decrease lag in some way? I'm just using wireless right now. Not that I have actually played a single game yet.

I registered and everything but when I start up the Xlink program and it should tell me how many users are in a particular section, it just gives a question mark. So there would be for example an area which says "MACROSS ULTIMATE FRONTIER: ? users active", which makes me wonder if I was in fact connected or not.

As for RemoteJoy.. yeah, I find that having two or more plugins on the memory stick will cause some kind of problem when using specific programs and cause the PSP to crash. So for example I cannot play PS1 games while I have GoTube installed, as they hang on the startup screen and then the PSP just shuts down. I am not sure if deactivating the plugin from the recovery menu would solve the issue, but I doubt it, and just in case I try to not even go there.

Having said that, RemoteJoy is excellent.

post-1318-12798572698_thumb.jpg

Hopes of a new PSP Macross game cruely crushed. :(

Damn you Macross Trial Frontier! :angry:

Graham

In all honesty, while I prefer my PSP over my PS3 because of the single reason I am rarely at home, this just means I can now play with my friends (taking turns on a TV) once the full game comes out. That also will hopefully mean that the stages could be bigger and maybe even new modes be added like full online, Cooperative play and other possible new bits as well.

This is a possibility for the franchise to become bigger as well. I'm all for it.

Besides... I don't like someone breathing on my ear just to watch the PSP's little screen... Especially not my male friends... *shudder*

Edited by CrazyMartian

• 2 weeks later...

A friend that I do a regular podcast with here in Tokyo recently put a video review up if anyone is interested:

http://psp.gamezone.com/videos/item/big_in_japan_-_macross_ultimate_frontier/

Thanks for the link! Heh, I like the ending with the 25-year HG/BW feud. Maybe you, Richard and I can meet up one day and do some multiplayer sometime! ^_^ (I do agree that the computer-controlled wingmen are stupid).

A friend that I do a regular podcast with here in Tokyo recently put a video review up if anyone is interested:

http://psp.gamezone.com/videos/item/big_in_japan_-_macross_ultimate_frontier/

that was a great (and unexpectedly funny) review...thanks!

I believe that I have a problem.... maybe you all can help me with...

I thin that MUF ruined me, basically I have been slam dunking other gamez that I have played for their poor graphics and in game play.

I think that MUFz quality has ruined me for other game I am looking for it every were and cant find it and have become dissatisfied with gamez that have not even come out yet "DCUniverseOnline" and the funny thing about that is that it is made by Sony as well; the graphiz are not bad for a mmo but the game play is how can I say "cryptic" if any one getz what I am saying "coh" "championz online" !!!!

But MUF is untouchable handz down I will never sell the game, I have had my psp for like almost a decade and the power line died before the battery therefore I have to wait until I can buy another here shortly.

NO GAME OUT CAN TOUCH THE GAMEPLAY ACTION OF MUF....

Can any one think of any game that comes close ???

Edited by light

I believe that I have a problem.... maybe you all can help me with...

I thin that MUF ruined me, basically I have been slam dunking other gamez that I have played for their poor graphics and in game play.

I think that MUFz quality has ruined me for other game I am looking for it every were and cant find it and have become dissatisfied with gamez that have not even come out yet "DCUniverseOnline" and the funny thing about that is that it is made by Sony as well; the graphiz are not bad for a mmo but the game play is how can I say "cryptic" if any one getz what I am saying "coh" "championz online" !!!!

But MUF is untouchable handz down I will never sell the game, I have had my psp for like almost a decade and the power line died before the battery therefore I have to wait until I can buy another here shortly.

NO GAME OUT CAN TOUCH THE GAMEPLAY ACTION OF MUF....

Can any one think of any game that come close ???

Mecha wise, I don't think so.

Overall quality, Metal Gear Peace Walker is the only PSP game in the same league as MUF imo.

I finally got around to fiddling the custom tracks.

I replaced the BGM's of After In the Dark, Hush of 2 Hundred Million Years, Voices, also added Tenshi no Enogu.

This game is now even MORE bad ass. SON, I AM NOT DISAPPOINT. B))

Yeah, by now I've replaced almost all the tracks with other songs. Like one of the VF-19kai's song weapons is now Magic Rhapsody from the new album, another is "Fukugan" from Fukuyama's latest album, and the AFOS stage is badass because the BGM is the actual Song of Destruction opera from the M0 soundtrack. Apart from that, I randomly replaced Ishtar's song with Moloko's "Bring it Back", the menu screens now have "Carnival/Sunset Beach" from the Macross Digital Trip album, and most of the "WARNING! A dangerous enemy appeared!" moments now play against that famous Mousse T/Libertines mashup "Horny like a Bohemian" from a couple of years back. Oh, and I think I replaced the instrumental version of DYRL with the Hawaii 5-0 theme sung by Sammy Davis Jr. and the title screen now sounds like a level from Zanac Neo on the PS1. I even think I stuck Jamiroquai's "Use the Force" somewhere in there.

I love this game. :p

• 2 weeks later...

YIKES! I usually mop the floor with my maxed out X-9's.

I just tried to take on Max and Miria in ULTIMATE mode and they ended up using their freeze trick to beat me.

BTW. The AFOS mission on ULTIMATE is driving me NUUUUTS. <_<

YIKES! I usually mop the floor with my maxed out X-9's.

I just tried to take on Max and Miria in ULTIMATE mode and they ended up using their freeze trick to beat me.

BTW. The AFOS mission on ULTIMATE is driving me NUUUUTS. dry.gif

Only way to be AFOS on Chronicle & Ultimate & Ultimate Chronicle is to use melee attacks on it. Make sure you target a large portion of its body, and use your special to do the special melee's at it. When you run out of that, use the charged melee (hold triangle until you flash).

Only way to be AFOS on Chronicle & Ultimate & Ultimate Chronicle is to use melee attacks on it. Make sure you target a large portion of its body, and use your special to do the special melee's at it. When you run out of that, use the charged melee (hold triangle until you flash).

Huh. I beat it on normal Chronicle mode the other day just by doing my special melee move whenever it does its cheap trick of folding in front of you and firing up its main weapon. That way you're invincible for just the right length of time to avoid taking any damage. Apart from that, I kept shooting, dropping chaffs on its missiles, and eventually it's done. We'll see about Ultimate mode, though...

Ah, but if you want to S or SS rank it, waiting for your special is going to take too long. Using your special to melee takes it down much quicker.

OK. I guess I have to maximise the melee stats in the hangar, then. I say that because every time I have used melee attacks on any ships or bosses or anything large, it has never had any effect whatsoever.