Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

What is the difference between the Regular edition ‘Macross Ultimate Frontier’ game and the limited special edition of the ‘Macross Ultimate Frontier’?

Comes with a disc full of goodies and a cover design by Mikimoto.

Comes with a disc full of goodies and a cover design by Mikimoto.

Unfortunately, you will need a Japanese region PSP to even read the bonus video umd due to region locking, apparently. The Mikimoto slip case is nice, but hardly worth nearly twice the price of the regular version for an unplayable video umd. :(

Edited by hulagu

I still wanna play this in Adhoc Party.

I tried it several nights ago with Murphy, but it seems like I was suffering from a massive lag.

Pretty good with another human intelligence helping. But Roy in his Zero still kicked our asses!

Heheh.

Speaking of which, does anyone play this online over XLink Kai? How playable is it? Haven't got a wireless adapter to try it out yet.

Edited by hulagu

Aw man. The most worst thing has happened to me. My save got corrupted, and I lost all my data. All my Valks I took time to max out. All my support characters and Co-pilots, and Bridge crew I took time to max out....Gone, all gone. Am so sad right now. :(

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Yup, I have all my PSP saves backed up on my PC for just such a random happening.

BTW, have you (guy with the currupted save) tried starting a new game, and seeing if it would pull in any of your leveled stats? If it worked at all, worse case is you'd have to start fresh with the original charcters, but have everything else in tact. Maybe if you start a new game, and save to slot 2, it'll fix the rest of the save.

Edited by Keith

Damn, that sucks.

Been meaning to ask, is it possible to save the saved game data to PC via USB cable, so that in the event of a corrupt or dead memory stick, I have a back up of my game data on PC?

Would hate to lose my 102 hours worth of play.

Graham

Yes, I think you just need to copy the savedata directory PSP\SAVEDATA\NPJH50050000 from the Memory Stick.

Yup, I have all my PSP saves backed up on my PC for just such a random happening.

BTW, have you (guy with the currupted save) tried starting a new game, and seeing if it would pull in any of your leveled stats? If it worked at all, worse case is you'd have to start fresh with the original charcters, but have everything else in tact. Maybe if you start a new game, and save to slot 2, it'll fix the rest of the save.

Well guy who loves Macross 7 very much :p

I did try and no go.Sad thing was, I was going to back it up on my PC, but put it off. The corruption wouldn't even let me save period. I had to delete the corrupt file in order to just save a new game. I just downloaded a new save file from gamefaqs that was as close to where I was. But it's not the same. :(

Argh, I still cannot get above A on the M7 "Fleet of the Strongest Women" mission. One of the bonuses is to "destroy all enemy waves", apparently, and I always get zero on that. I'm using a virtually maxed-out Fire Valk and pretty much taking out anything that moves in one fell swoop so I have no idea what I could be missing.

I'm going to try the mission without a partner next time, see if that helps. After that, I should get Sound Boosters, right? Or is that AFTER doing some Chronicle version of the level??

Edited by Renato

Argh, I still cannot get above A on the M7 "Fleet of the Strongest Women" mission. One of the bonuses is to "destroy all enemy waves", apparently, and I always get zero on that. I'm using a virtually maxed-out Fire Valk and pretty much taking out anything that moves in one fell swoop so I have no idea what I could be missing.

I'm going to try the mission without a partner next time, see if that helps. After that, I should get Sound Boosters, right? Or is that AFTER doing some Chronicle version of the level??

Don't take out the Meltrandi gunships immediately, keep switching lock to check if more Queadluun Raus show up, and go after them first, only take out the gunship when no more show up. Then take out all of Chlore's wingmen before dealing with her. Also, keep your partner alive.

I don''t know how the Sound Boosters are awarded, but I think I was able to unlock and buy them (1 for each Sound Force Unit) at the Nyan-Nyan shop before that. I don't think I've done any 7 chronicle missions uet.

Edited by hulagu

OK, tried the Strongest Women mission again using Basara with no partner. No go. B-rank this time! Even worse, because now I get a zero for no "Partner Survival" bonus. I argue that my partner did survive -- he stayed inside the frickin' hangar, didn't he?? Still zero on "Destroyed all enemy waves".

Then I tried it with Max's VF-22. No go. A-rank only, again. The reason again being a zero on "Destroyed all enemy waves". Near the end I was thinking that maybe it was because up to now I was killing Chlore too fast, perhaps too early, before more enemies could appear. This time, since my 22 is not as powerful as the Fire Valk, it took a bit longer to take her out, and sure enough, enemies were popping up here and there while we were battling, so I disengaged with her to swiftly take out the other Q-raus and when those were gone I got back to my duel with Chlore. Alas, that damn results screen keeps laughing at me.

EDIT -- I'm gonna try leaving the ships until the end.

Edited by Renato

First and foremost, understand that you can switch your target lock by holding up (stronger enemies) down (weaker enemies) or left/right (general switch, and the one you want to use for this mission) while hitting the target button (circle in most cases). Also note that if you pause, it will show you a map with all enemies on screen. With that said combo's also play a alrge part, and while the Sound Force Valkyries are awesome for taking out waves of enemies, they don't get you combo points.

To S/SS this mission, absolutely under no circumstances should you take on either battleship before the waves of Quadran Rau have stopped. Check your map, look out for the new enemy appeared message, and switch your targets. Do "not" shoot those ships. Once all the Q-Rau have stopped, feel free to unload hot death upon them.

The same goes for Chlore, "do not shoot her" under about 2-3 waves of Q-Rau have come and been taken out. Check your map, and once she's the last one there, and no others have appeared, take her out. Use a strong unit though, or she'll eat you alive.

Can somebody please remind me when do you win or get to buy the Mac II and VF-X2 mecha?

Completed Zero, DYRL, SDFM, Plus, M7 & D7 campaigns and about a third of the way through The Frontier campaign. Have S or SS rank on all played missions so far and my shop level has been at 30 for ages, but still no sign of those mecha.

Graham

Can somebody please remind me when do you win or get to buy the Mac II and VF-X2 mecha?

Completed Zero, DYRL, SDFM, Plus, M7 & D7 campaigns and about a third of the way through The Frontier campaign. Have S or SS rank on all played missions so far and my shop level has been at 30 for ages, but still no sign of those mecha.

Graham

I think the Ex mission campaign and related mecha open up after you successfully completed all the main campaigns once. The opening of "Hush of 200 Million Years" seguing in at the end of the credits roll was a nice touch.

Unlocked are Ishtar as a support character, The VF-2SS, the Gigamesh and red Gigamesh Feff from Macross II, VF-1S Mariafokina, Ravens VF-19A, Garland's VF-22 from VFX2 and Max and Milia's Dancing Skull VF-9 Cutlasses from M3.

Edited by hulagu

First and foremost, understand that you can switch your target lock by holding up (stronger enemies) down (weaker enemies) or left/right (general switch, and the one you want to use for this mission) while hitting the target button (circle in most cases). Also note that if you pause, it will show you a map with all enemies on screen. With that said combo's also play a alrge part, and while the Sound Force Valkyries are awesome for taking out waves of enemies, they don't get you combo points.

To S/SS this mission, absolutely under no circumstances should you take on either battleship before the waves of Quadran Rau have stopped. Check your map, look out for the new enemy appeared message, and switch your targets. Do "not" shoot those ships. Once all the Q-Rau have stopped, feel free to unload hot death upon them.

The same goes for Chlore, "do not shoot her" under about 2-3 waves of Q-Rau have come and been taken out. Check your map, and once she's the last one there, and no others have appeared, take her out. Use a strong unit though, or she'll eat you alive.

Thanks, I had already tried all of that, to the best of my knowledge. I kept pausing the game to make sure there were no other units before I took on the ships.

I think I might still be killing Chlore too early. I'm gonna hang around for a while after she shows up next time. If that still doesn't work I'm giving up for a while, it's no longer fun otherwise. <_<

As for the Cutlass and VF2SS etc, yeah you have to complete the game first! I think I have them all except the red VF-1S and Millia's VF-9. Feff was real tough to beat. Also, I need the SAP packs for the VF-2SS. What do I have to do to get that one?

Do you guys really use the 3rd weapon mount or even try to add points to it? I just use them as a 'have nothing to do?, fire some shots with 'em and switch back the first two missiles'.

Yep, I frequently use the third weapon, although that is dependant on the mecha. Examples of great third weapons, especially when levelled up are the beam guns on the VF-25 Armoured Packs and the grenades or nukes or whatever they are on the Konig Monster.

Also I level up everything. The way I play, is that rather than just zipping through all the missions, once I get a new mecha, I play that mecha exclusively usually just on 1-2 select missions (the Ex missions if available) and level up all the stats on the mecha.

Graham

I still wanna play this in Adhoc Party.

I tried it several nights ago with Murphy, but it seems like I was suffering from a massive lag.

Pretty good with another human intelligence helping. But Roy in his Zero still kicked our asses!

Heheh.

its tooooo bad this is not multiplayer online I bet there might be a patch or add on, or the next game will be

Any tips to take out the Chronicle Mode AFOS fast enough to meet Objective 3 in order to get above A Rank? I can take out Nora and DD quickly without problems, but without the ranged special from the booster pack (you lose them between stages even if not purged), the booster pack missles, partner specials and support specials (chronicle mode), it's taking forever to wear down the Bird Human using lasers, rockets and the melee SP. Shin had it so easy on the show, lol ...

On a side note, Sarah's support skill Song of Doom is a damn cheap move especially when used by the player, because of its relatively fast activation, and because you can chase down enemies while it's active (unlike the game controlled AFOS) it to get them into its area of effect, and the AI is too dumb to run away effectively.

On a side note, Sarah's support skill Song of Doom is a damn cheap move especially when used by the player, because of its relatively fast activation, and because you can chase down enemies while it's active (unlike the game controlled AFOS) it to get them into its area of effect, and the AI is too dumb to run away effectively.

I can't complain about cheapness. On the harder levels, Attacks like Kakizaki's Last Supper and Song of Destruction are good for escaping sticky situations, giving time to order a wingman to counter with his/her super... Most tactics have to be revised in order to be effective in Ultimate Mode.

I bought an item that unlocks the use of any ship in any era, without need a "A" or better in the missions (i have missions with B and C at Frontier era)

It's a 32000 cost (with discount) item that appears at shop level 19-20

Plus, there is a 24000 item that appears at level 21 (i think) that unlocks the tune points limit

A question: There is missions with a "EX", but every missions has a "EX" machine to do with it. What is the meaning? I know that if you use the "EX" machine, you earn 3x tune points, but why there is another "EX" at some missions?